Author Topic: Skill booster/potent skill booster - working or not?  (Read 17736 times)

Chuckles_82

Skill booster/potent skill booster - working or not?
« on: February 16, 2013, 02:06:32 AM »
I have occasions where nothing happens after my sim drinks one of these potions. There is no notification. I've tried resetting sim, and deleting caches and such, and every now and then that works, but not all the time. I've clearing my sim's inventory, and tried drinking it from inventory and from the ground - all with the same results. Does anyone have any ideas about what is causing it, or better, what may fix it? EDIT - I've also tried using another sim to throw the potion with no success.

Offline azokka361

• Watcher
Re: skill booster/potent skill booster - working or not?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 02:39:01 AM »
I read that the Skill Booster automatically levels up a random skill--even one that your sim hasn't learned yet. Thus, it may not be apparent that the elixir is doing something, until the sim learns that skill and gets a seemingly random boost.
I expect Azokka either to yell at everyone and totally dominate or else get out the popcorn.-Ombradellarosa

Elysi Immortal Dynasty

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Chuckles_82

Re: Skill booster/potent skill booster - working or not?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 04:23:24 AM »
Shouldn't you still get a notification after you drink it though?

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 09:41:27 AM »
I only ever get a notification on the skills I actually know.
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Online MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 06:47:55 PM »
I've never gotten a new skill with this (but I haven't been playing around with it for long). The enlightenment elixir seems to be the one that gives you something new.

My impression is that the skill elixir won't work if you're at level 9 in a skill, and it might not work if you've taken one skill elixir already that day. The potent skill elixir will take you up to max.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline lvrugger

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 08:45:16 PM »
I've been playing with this for the last few days. Here's my take on what's happening:
- Enlightenment elixirs will give new skills, skill boosters won't.
- Skill boosters randomly pick a skill to add to, even if you have maxed that skill. If you have maxed that skill, you don't get a notice. That means if you have some skills that are maxed you may not get a boost from drinking the elixir.
- You can use multiple skill boosters in one day. I had a Sim start with almost no points and max 4 skills in less than a day. Towards the end there were very few skill boosters that actually did anything since three skills were maxed already.
- I haven't played with the regular skill boosters much, just the potent ones. My alchemist is chained to the bench making them (and other elixirs) all day long.

Offline Sarabi

• Townie
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 01:04:37 PM »
Some of my experiences with the skill booster:

- Whether it does anything seems to be somewhat random.
- I have gotten previously unlearned skills with the skill boosters.  Specifically, 2 points in writing or painting from the potent version, for sims who had never done any writing or painting.  It seems more frequent for the sim to gain in a skill that they have already learned, however.
- There may be some latency involved - I have seen notifications with Charisma that the sim does not have the required relationships to progress, which makes sense for that skill.  Then when the sim creates the additional relationships required, the skill boost shows up.
- I had a sim working on The Tinkerer LTW (max logic & handiness) - starting at logic 6, handiness 6.4 get 2 points handiness from a potent skill booster, then he drank several more with no apparent results.  He then read the handy book to level 9.7, drank another potent skill booster which mastered handiness.  I had him drink one more with logic at 6.0, and it mastered his logic and fulfilled the LTW.  I don't know whether that single potent elixer actually gave him 4 levels of logic (from 6 to 10) or whether there was some latency in the previous ones he had consumed that all showed up at the same time.

Random mysteries are random and mysterious.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.