Author Topic: How to Have a Great Party  (Read 23111 times)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
How to Have a Great Party
« on: November 03, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
Holmes -

The most reliable way to have a great party is to purchase the Legendary Host reward with your Happiness Points.  I believe it's one of the least expensive rewards at a price of 5,000 points.  When you have this reward, everyone you invite to your party will come, and it's guaranteed that they will have a great time.  I've never been able to have a great party with it.

Also, we recently published a guide to ghosts that may have some helpful information for you.  If you missed it, here is the link:  http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/articles/ghosts.php
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 05:21:28 PM »
Holmes —

From my experience with throwing parties the most important barometer for guests is that they have fun. Food is a bonus. So, really, with that knowledge I've never purchased the Legendary Host reward because throwing great parties is not difficult at all.

Before you make the call —

1. Have some decent food on the counter waiting for the guests, or order a pizza.
2. Turn on the TV and a decent audio system
3. Have a comfy couch/dining chairs available
4. Make sure there's nothing in the house that would trigger negative moodlets (smells, something broken, etc)
5. Make the call
6. When everyone arrives direct your sim to sit on the couch and ask everyone to Join: Watch.
7. Call everyone to meal.

I guarantee you they'll leave very happy.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 05:48:43 PM »
I have noticed that the guests always go to the room the inviting sim is in... which should not be the bathroom or the nursery :)  then I just have the stereo on and I generally use the buffet if the family can afford it.  Plus a few guests will bring plates of food which most likely won't be eaten.  So, have a buffet served (or not), stereo on, inviting sim standing in front of the stereo.  Invite a sim to dance with and don't let anyone die during the party ;)
2024 Tournament: Join the Fun!
My Tournament Updates: Coming 2024
Love My Sims: Completing challenges and legacies since May 7, 2007

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
Re: How to Have a Great Party
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 09:09:14 PM »
I split and moved this topic because it started to veer off into something specific and I think there are others who might be interested in reading it.

I've never been successful with a great party even doing the things Metro suggested.  Actually, I haven't done the thing with directing them to watch television now that I think about it.  But I've done all the other stuff with no luck.  There's always someone who isn't thrilled.  Even banquet tables are mostly useless.  There's always either birthday cake or food brought by the party guests and any more than that just gets wasted or stored as leftovers.  I'll just keep buying the Legendary Host reward.  It's so much easier and worth the Happiness Points spent if you plan to have a lot of parties.   ;D

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 09:17:54 PM »
That's really interesting Pam that you've had problems hosting great parties. My Johnny B Goode character that I just finished up in the Centurian Solo Challenge ended up throwing a very large number of parties towards the end. Here's the interesting thing: He did nothing but play for tips. He would make the call from Central Park and host the party there for $250. He'd have 2 parties a day. He always called the maximum number of Sims (10). He'd hang up and just start playing for tips. His guests would arrive at the park and immediately start throwing money at him because they were a captive audience. They were there to see him anyway. It's a great strategy for guitar players. And those parties were always successful (Throw a Great Party moodlet).

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 09:25:02 PM »
Oh, that's a great strategy for tips!  I will definitely try that with my current guitarist.  Probably having the guitar played helps make the guests happy, too.  Yeah, I just don't do very well with throwing parties for some reason.  And it seems like Murphy's Law is always in effect...  if something can go wrong, it will.  Someone will die, something will break, or someone will do something stupid like throw garbage on the floor! 

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 09:35:42 PM »
Oh, that's a great strategy for tips!

Hosting parties for tip playing simply rocks the house hard. Like I said the guests that show up are an immediate captive audience. That's the whole key right there. If a guitar player just shows up in the park at any given hour, then a) there may or may not be any Sims in the immediate area to take notice, and b) if there are Sims in the immediate are when he starts playing for tips, they may already be engaged in another activity — picnic, conversations, chess, whatever.

Having a captive audience is just what making gobs of money from tips is all about. You can tell when an audience is captive because they're obviously looking at the guitar player. But, there seems to be a limit to a Sim's attention — and it varies from Sim to Sim. Some Sims can happily listen to a guitar players for hours on end. Others will only approach a couple times to throw money in the guitar case.

What I've learned to do is force an audience to be captive if I don't like the direction of what I'm seeing — too many conversations going on, too much dancing, etc. If those things are happening, then no one is approaching the guitar case. I stop the Playing for Tips and those audience actions immediate come to a halt. Then, I start up again and everyone becomes captive again for a while.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 11:32:15 PM »
I'm going to give it another shot, but my first experience with hosting a party at the park and playing for tips was very disappointing.  The guests mostly danced and talked to each other.  I had my guitarist stop and start a couple of times, but she only made a little over $1,000 in tips.  She's level 7 (maybe 8) and has been performing the songs to make tips bigger.  Why am I so bad at earning big money?  Grrr!!

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 06:36:45 PM »
That is what happened to me Pam.  She has had several parties - one she made just over 1,000, another she made 100, and some they never tip.  There was even one where everyone all the sudden had to leave - right after she took out her guitar.   :o

Maxine is 7k out of 25k so hopefully when I get to play again (tomorrow I hope) she will have better luck.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 06:56:49 PM »
Maxine is 7k out of 25k so hopefully when I get to play again (tomorrow I hope) she will have better luck.

Plan your really big tip playing sessions for the weekend too. Saturdays and Sundays are the best days (especially Sundays) because there will be more Sims available for the game to send to the park and Theatre if they're not working.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 07:05:02 PM »
yeah I think that was the problem with the one where they all had to leave, she started it first thing in the morning during the week.  After that I tried to shoot for 8pm during the week, will get to the weekend during the next play session.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 12:00:34 AM »
Mine has the Legendary Host reward, so all of her invited guests do show up and they stay for the length of the party (several game hours).  They just didn't tip much.  They were busy dancing and talking the whole time.  And, of course, the party was a huge success for my Sim, just not much tip money.  I tried a second one and it didn't do any better.  I'll try a few more and see if I can get it worked out.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 12:05:33 AM »
Pam, in your guitar player's Skill Journal, how many times have they performed compositions?

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 12:19:11 AM »
She's performed compositions 77 times.  The amounts of the tips are currently $265 to $285 per individual tip.  And she's a level 10 guitarist now.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 12:21:43 AM »
She's performed compositions 77 times.  The amounts of the tips are currently $265 to $285 per individual tip.  And she's a level 10 guitarist now.

Well, then you're on the right track. I was going to recommend you have 50 as a minimum.