Author Topic: Firefighter Career - Emergencies Not Triggering Properly  (Read 42867 times)

Offline Brheas

• Nooboo
Firefighter Career - Emergencies Not Triggering Properly
« on: March 03, 2013, 03:05:10 PM »
I'm having a frustrating problem with the Firefighter career.

I'll go to the station dutifully, but when the emergency alarm rings I click on the firetruck to respond to it and then seconds after the emergency ends as though it never existed in the first place.

If it makes a difference, I've got all expansion packs installed. I also use the following mods: Overwatch, ErrorTrap, Relativity, Register, and Story Progression.

I have tested this issue with mods, without mods, with a single sim in my household, and with a sim in my household with other sims. I have also tested it with premade sims already in town and my own sims. The only time I've played a firefighter and had it work normally was when I played a sim already in town: Christopher Steel.

Any thoughts?

Offline Wai

• Immortal
Re: Firefighter Career - Emergencies Not Triggering Properly
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 03:32:45 PM »
It's a while since I played firefighter, but, I certainly did not have a problem.  I know I did not click on the firetruck to respond.  The job comes up on the firefighter's employment tab and on the information tab on the top right.  Have you tried useing either of these, or clicking the star bubble which appears above the affected building?
“In this world, there is nothing softer or thinner than water. But to compel the hard and unyielding, it has no equal. That the weak overcomes the strong, that the hard gives way to the gentle -- this everyone knows. Yet no one asks accordingly.”
 Lao-Tse

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Brheas

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 03:35:07 PM »
I have done that and unfortunately it has the same results. :(

Offline Wai

• Immortal
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 05:39:54 PM »
You certainly shouldn't be getting this problem. 

If it was a single file, I would consider the possibility of file corruption. 

I have a rule of thumb which I find often resolves issues - if all else fails, try a factory reset - see stickies in Technical Help. 

I don't use any CC or mods, so can't comment on what effect these may or may not have, however, if you decide to try the factory reset, remove all CC and mods and try to play a new firefighter file without them.  If that works, slowly reintroducing your extra content, one piece at a time will help to isolate the cause, if they are in fact in any way to blame.
“In this world, there is nothing softer or thinner than water. But to compel the hard and unyielding, it has no equal. That the weak overcomes the strong, that the hard gives way to the gentle -- this everyone knows. Yet no one asks accordingly.”
 Lao-Tse

Offline Brheas

• Nooboo
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 06:16:29 PM »
I'll give that a go. Thanks!

Offline Brheas

• Nooboo
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 09:15:40 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to let you know that a factory reset fixed this issue! Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'd tried many other places and you were the only one to respond. How lucky for me that you knew the answer. Thanks again!

Edit: Nope, spoke too soon. It still seems to be hit or miss. Oh well.

Offline anna22mari

• Nooboo
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 10:28:17 AM »
I've had rain put out small house fires in several of my games. I have actually seen the fire, and it has been outside, but before my firefighter could reach it the rain put it out.

Don't know if that is your problem, but it sure is annoying.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Korva

• Townie
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 03:02:47 PM »
I enjoy playing a firefighter, but emergencies do seem a bit finicky sometimes. If anything interrupts the "respond to emergency" action, the emergency disappears. If you switch to another Sim or pet before the firefighter gets into her fire engine, the emergency disappears. I'm glad you got your problem fixed!

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 01:45:46 PM »
I'm having a frustrating problem with the Firefighter career.

I'll go to the station dutifully, but when the emergency alarm rings I click on the firetruck to respond to it and then seconds after the emergency ends as though it never existed in the first place.

I've also had this problem recently, in my Life States Dynasty.  I play firefighters quite a lot and had never seen it before.  One of the spouses was a Jack of All Trades and firefighter was one of his jobs.  I couldn't get him to go to a single emergency because they all cancelled.  Fortunately, level 5 is easily reached just through skill-building.  Later, one of the heirs was briefly in the career, mostly for the rewards.  His first emergency also cancelled but the others were OK.  I had patched in between so it might be related to that.  (This was also a pretty buggy file - playing with a ghost family causes all sorts of odd glitches.)

Offline Vitaee

• Nooboo
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 04:40:21 PM »
Bit of a necro post, but I think I've figured something out.  It doesn't matter how you respond (fire truck, fire alarm, house itself, alert icon, whatever), what does matter is how long the job exists before you respond.  If I respond immediately, then there's at best a 50/50 chance of actually responding to the emergency.  If however I wait 5 or 6 sim minutes after the emergency shows up to respond, then there's like a 90% chance of the job functioning correctly.  Have no idea why this is, and EA definitely needs to adress this, but for the moment I see this as a workable (if not ideal) workaround.

Offline _Annika_

• Immortal
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 07:59:14 PM »
Thank you Vitaee - this problem has been plaguing me too. I'll give the waiting a try. I, like most people I suppose, tend to jump on those emergencies ASAP.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 04:17:40 AM »
I tried this with my 4x4 firefighter, although I'm not convinced it made a difference.  I'm getting an impression that large fires are less likely to cancel than small ones, so it works better as the career progresses.  If this is true, it means it wouldn't affect the Firefighter Superhero wish (just as well, given that it's one of the longest in the game as it is).

Offline Babaloo321

• Nooboo
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 12:52:10 PM »
I know I'm necroing a very old thread but... I've found the solution!
If you are in sunset valley, then this is for you!

Just delete the old fire station and build a new one!  As long as you don't resume the game after you delete it, and build a new one, yours, and everybody else's (Who works there) jobs there should stay in tact.

The Sunset Valley Fire Station is broken and I don't know why ea hasn't fixed it (Not sure if they're going to now because of the sims 4 though).

Anyway, I hope this helped!

Offline Zione

• Nooboo
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 07:40:22 PM »
Babaloo321:  Thank you so much - this idea worked for me perfectly in Sunset Valley.  I just deleted the community fire station and replaced it with the Verona County Fire Station, and suddenly I could respond to all emergencies properly.  Good solution!

anything