Author Topic: Question to make sure my story idea follows the rules...  (Read 3822 times)

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
Question to make sure my story idea follows the rules...
« on: March 09, 2013, 05:43:10 PM »
Hey everyone!  I have been pondering trying an immortal dynasty (as the decadynasties are proving to be tremendous fun, so why not try other types of dynasties), and I came up with an odd take on things.  Anyone who knows me would not be surprised by this.
Basically, I am borrowing the idea of the "College Daze" project to make finding the founder of my dynasty into a pre-dynasty competition.  Think college daze meets survivor or some such.  The basic premise is to set up the house parent with 7 teens of randomly generated traits.  Then, as soon as it begins, the 7 teens are racing to meet all of the graduation requirements of college daze.  Whichever one gets there first gets to be the founder of the immortal dynasty.  In allowing some actual social game play of the sims themselves, they are only permitted to do skill-building focused activities from 6 in the morning through 6 in the evening.  That way, I have the 12 remaining hours (minus sleep time) to have them interact and get to know their tendencies more before I start dynasty-izing one of them.
So, is this permissible, and if so, can the "college daze" portion of it be the beginning of the story or should that be posted in the project stories area?
Thoughts?
Anyone?
Bueller?

Offline Niana

• Occult
Re: Question to make sure my story idea follows the rules...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 05:49:19 PM »
Obviously, one of the challenge team are best suited to answer this but -

I think if approved, you could put it into the beginning of the story, lots of dynasties have backstories/setup

I don't think you'd be able to use the exact same sim that wins as your founder - but you could do the college daze in another file as backstory, then start your dynasty with the same sim from the bin - ie no relationships, skills, etc (if you could come up with a reason for why it got all wiped clean, that is!)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 05:53:29 PM »
Niana beat me to it, I was going to say something similar. Many dynasties have a back-story that is played out in a separate file. My House of White is one example. As long as your starting Sim is blank like Niana said, you should be just fine.
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 05:55:51 PM »
Thanks, Niana and Rosa (it says I can call you that).  I was thinking similar thoughts, but I was worried that my nooboo status may have caused me to miss some things about proper forum etiquette or the rules of dynasties.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 07:37:58 PM »
I agree you should get one of the Dynasty team members to sign off on this.  You may even want to post your question on the main Immortal Dynasty thread.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 08:02:13 PM »
It depends on how much of the story you plan on taking up with the pre-dynasty.  If it's two or three posts of back story then the rest of the story is all dynasty, I'm ok with that.   If it's 10 or more posts of back story while you do the other challenge then it should be in another thread and you can link to that thread in the first post of your immortal dynasty. 

If you're not going to follow the college daze rules to the letter, then it would be best to place that story in the misc. section with a link to the college daze rules and probably a comment about how you're doing the project with a personal twist.

As Pam said, you can always post any questions about any dynasty in it's thread.   Or if you feel it doesn't belong there - never hesitate to contact one of the team.   I'm around every day so you'd get a response from me as soon as I could give it if you ever PM'd me and that's for anything not just dynasty stuff if you ever needed. 
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 08:23:02 PM »
Thanks.  I truly appreciate the feedback.  I am thinking I'll be playing out the things with the narrator/watcher voice manipulating things to create this game to see who is worthy and then giving a "magic potion of forgetfulness" or some such concept to have the character show up as a young adult to start the immortal dynasty without skills, relationships, etc. from the "college daze" bit. 
After a save at the beginning of the game, i'm having all 7 contestants use a birthday cake to age up to young adult so I can save them to the bin without the histories and developments they'll have by the time they actually age up.  does that work?  it seems right in my head.
i'll keep the backstory/college daze bits to 2-3 posts.
Thanks again!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 08:25:44 PM »
Thanks.  I truly appreciate the feedback.  I am thinking I'll be playing out the things with the narrator/watcher voice manipulating things to create this game to see who is worthy and then giving a "magic potion of forgetfulness" or some such concept to have the character show up as a young adult to start the immortal dynasty without skills, relationships, etc. from the "college daze" bit. 
After a save at the beginning of the game, i'm having all 7 contestants use a birthday cake to age up to young adult so I can save them to the bin without the histories and developments they'll have by the time they actually age up.  does that work?  it seems right in my head.
i'll keep the backstory/college daze bits to 2-3 posts.
Thanks again!

Don't forget to make sure you are familiar with the rules for stories.   Before you place the sim in the backstory game, just save them to the bin then.  Don't have to resave them or use cake if you don't want to but you can age them up to YA in CAS before you place them since you always have to start from Create A Sim anyway. 
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 08:40:26 PM »
Brilliant!!  It makes nooboos like me feel better knowing we have such a wonderful village to raise us  :=)

anything