Author Topic: Information about DNA Samples & Clones  (Read 76509 times)

Offline GREY

• Nooboo
Re: Information about DNA Samples & Clones
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 08:39:43 AM »
Sorry for bumping old thread, but you can get DNA sample from butler at any relationship, even you're not a friends (didn't tried with maid, can be the same). I guess, it's pretty interesting fact to get DNA sample fast, for example, for achievement

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 12:26:07 AM »
I have an odd question, when it comes to cloning Sims... when you clone a Sim who is a fairy, will their clone also be a fairy? I'm doing a ID and I want to grab all the original townie DNA I can to spread the love for my next 6 generations or so, but I'm finding a lot of the townspeople switched to becoming supernatural. I want to use their DNA, but if they are a supernatural they will automatically fail my file. Anyone know?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 12:10:06 PM »
Yes, the life state transfers. Cure the donor sim before grabbing their DNA/cloning from the sample (if they turn after you collect the sample; I don't know if it will transfer to the clone if the donor turns into a supernatural after collecting the sample but before cloning, but you can never be too safe).

Also, one odd little thing I noticed with cloning sims is that the clone occasionally comes out with different coloring. I cloned a few sims over the course of my dynasty; two came out looking exactly like their donors, but two others came out nearly alike, but with a different hair or eye color.

The interesting part was one who was cloned from a blue-eyed donor, but came out with black eyes. While her donor was blue-eyed, the donor's parents both had black eyes. I thought it was a pretty nice throwback to her ancestry. Then there was one cloned from a donor with black and blue hair; the clone came out with dirty blond hair, in spite of absolutely no one in the donor's family being dirty blond.

Clones always have the same exact facial features as their donors, though, so I was able to preserve the most important parts of my beloved townie genes without any fear. ;)
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 02:12:02 PM »
Yes, the life state transfers. Cure the donor sim before grabbing their DNA/cloning from the sample (if they turn after you collect the sample; I don't know if it will transfer to the clone if the donor turns into a supernatural after collecting the sample but before cloning, but you can never be too safe).

Also, one odd little thing I noticed with cloning sims is that the clone occasionally comes out with different coloring. I cloned a few sims over the course of my dynasty; two came out looking exactly like their donors, but two others came out nearly alike, but with a different hair or eye color.

The interesting part was one who was cloned from a blue-eyed donor, but came out with black eyes. While her donor was blue-eyed, the donor's parents both had black eyes. I thought it was a pretty nice throwback to her ancestry. Then there was one cloned from a donor with black and blue hair; the clone came out with dirty blond hair, in spite of absolutely no one in the donor's family being dirty blond.

Clones always have the same exact facial features as their donors, though, so I was able to preserve the most important parts of my beloved townie genes without any fear. ;)
Thank you for the information, Trip! I'm glad you told me. I guess I'll have him grind through alchemy quickly, I don't want to lose those Goths before then!

I guess I'll also just save-as and do a test of the gene before I go through and play the real thing to make sure they weren't affected by changing into a supernatural after receiving the DNA (if that is the case).

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 05:36:14 PM »
I just tested whether you could carry DNA samples with you if you moved to another town by the in-game option (the one that came with Island Paradise, where you don't put the sims in a bin, but just call to move). Apparently, you can't.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 10:57:31 PM »
Not too surprised. You need the donor sims to exist in some form for the samples to survive, and the previous world and the sims in it are obliterated when you move.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 12:01:44 PM »
Question: should I be super careful about sending the Sim to worlds in World Adventures then? Or will they be ok? I'll likely take them out and leave them behind if that's the case - or just leave the Sim behind in general. Any thoughts?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 12:04:08 PM »
Leave the samples behind. I heard that they don't travel well, and you can never be too careful.

And if you're intent on getting DNA from a sim in a vacation world/University, invite them to your homeworld and take the samples there.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 12:08:17 PM »
Leave the samples behind. I heard that they don't travel well.

And if you're intent on getting DNA from a sim in a vacation world/University, invite them to your homeworld and take the samples there.
I figured as much. I just want to travel once with at least one Sim to buy out like 20 chests. I prefer that method of storage as inventories tend to cause lag and the Alchemy cabinets don't really fit my style of things. I plan to just throw them in the chest as soon as I get one and call it a day and only bring it out if I need to make a clone for the next generation.
Good news though, only Gunther was affected by Vampirism, but I was able to grab Cornelia (as she was just an elderly human Sim).
This is going to sound strange, but even though Cornelia and Agnes are sisters in game, I can take their clones and marry them both in eventually, right? Like if I used Cornelia for one generation and a few generations down the road used Agnes? They won't stop me as being "related?"
Sorry for asking so many questions! Your information is so helpful!

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2014, 12:13:40 PM »

Clones are not related to anyone. So, yes--heck Cornelia and Agnes's clones could have a romance of their very own--if you know, you wanted that.  ::)

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2014, 12:15:10 PM »
Clones are not related to anyone. So, yes--heck Cornelia and Agnes's clones could have a romance of their very own--if you know, you wanted that.  ::)
Haha!  ::) I'll stick to marrying them into my Dynasty. Thank goodness there's no suck thing as genetic disorders!
Thank you all for your time! I think that's all for my questions for now! :)

Offline DisasterAhead

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2014, 03:48:34 PM »
When you clone a sim with the cloning machine, is the resulting baby related to the sim that cloned themselves? Or is the baby parent-less?

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2014, 04:23:01 PM »
The resulting baby has no parents, and I'm merging this with our main thread on Cloning Sims.

Offline DisasterAhead

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2014, 04:32:00 PM »
Okay, thanks.

Offline mysteriousways143

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 05:16:15 PM »
Old thread, I know, but I don't want to create another thread for my question on cloning.

Can you clone a sim after they die? This is assuming that you got a DNA sample before they died, and that their tombstone still exists in the main world.

Sorry to post on an old thread but I was wondering the same exact thing and the question was never answered. I am thinking of possibly cloning the two childless elder females in DV later on.