Author Topic: Experimenting, Building, and Sharing - The Box Canyon  (Read 6589 times)

Offline Vinyl

• I hear plumbobs are worth a fortune on the black market
  • Occult
Experimenting, Building, and Sharing - The Box Canyon
« on: March 15, 2013, 05:20:12 PM »
After reading the great threads detailing the Create-A-World experience, the concept of building a world wasn't as terrifying as it used to be.  In the spirit of sharing and trading tips, I thought I'd start this thread and update as I experimented with my first world - The Box Canyon (working title)!   ;)

A high overview of the tiny world-in-progress

This world isn't as much of a traditional CAW world as it is a giant, massive, crazy experiment.  Except in miniature.  I'm trying a little bit of everything here - no roads (at all), rabbitholes in basements (never done it before), playing with sky/water settings (eek!), making a custom flyover, pre-populating the world, a festival lot, making apartments...  it's quite likely this poor world will wind up with an elevated, inaccessible pool of water in the high cliffs just so I can learn how it's done.  It's not going to be the most detailed world, since it's main purpose is to learn how to build it, but the goal is for it to be totally functional and absolutely playable.

At this stage the main sculpting, painting, decorating, and lot placement is pretty much finished.  The next stage is building experimentation, and playing around with custom water colours.  There's a lot behind the main street I plan on building a Yosemite inspired park in, and I'm going to try tinting the water to a more mineral green hue.  I also hope to figure out how to number or name the lots as well.

In terms of design the world is inspired by a Wild West frontier town, with no cars (only walking or horses for transportation).  Since I'm using a tiny world as the base, the lots are quite small.  The largest is at one end of the canyon, a 30x30 I'm going to turn into a ranch.  At the other end of the canyon there'll be the criminal element, with a criminal dive bar, the rustler's den (criminal headquarters), and a residential lot to act as a gang's hideout.  There's two tapped out mines, one of which has three lots for miner shanties, and a little community lot that'll act as a sort of mining base camp.  The bulk of the town is on the main street, mostly 10x15 lots connected by a plank sidewalk.  There's also a larger saloon lot and a small farm.

Main Street at night with test houses

So that's the world thus far.  Now, onto the school of hard knocks education part of the process.  In no particular order, things I've learnt the hard way:

-CAW will only run in administrator mode on my machine (Win7).  There's no reason it should have to be run this way, but it's the only way CAW will work.  The patch matches the version, everything is installed in the right spot, but if it's not run as administrator the CAW title pops up, appears like it'll load, then stops responding.  If anyone has this problem and they've done all of the other troubleshooting steps, give this a shot.

-If CAW is run in administrator mode, the files it uses and saves will be in the administrator's documents - not the usual places!  Adding extracted texture files took about three tries before I figured out why CAW couldn't find them.  Also, the files it produces will require administrator access to move or use.  To import my world, I had to edit the world file's access restrictions before the launcher could install it.

-Fixing uneven lot edges isn't as difficult as I thought.  When I noticed elevation differences on my lots, I wound up deleting everything, flattening the terrain all over again, then re-drawing every lot.  I found that wonderful how-to a couple hours later.   ::)

-Tiny worlds are only one chunk in size!  Since the general advice is to use no more than eight different terrain paints per chunk, that has serious painting implications. 

-When selecting an object from the metadata to place in the world, it's a good idea to hit ESC before double-clicking, to make sure any object currently being placed isn't accidentally put in the world.  Took me a few surprise rock placements before I figured out the first click placed a rock, then the next click selected the new rock.  Because the cursor was over a menu, I didn't see the rock being placed until I started moving around the world again.  For a while I thought my world was already bugged and was cloning objects at random!

-Tiny worlds really are tiny.  It takes my test sim about an in-game hour to run from one end of the canyon to the other.  Other than losing out on certain car based services, it's a viable world size for a roadless town.

-If you're a Sims 3 screenshot addict like myself, the inability to hit C to capture a screenshot in CAW might surprise you.  Next time I work on the world, I'll be sure to have a way to take screenshots at the ready.

That's all I've got for the moment.  If you have any questions, tips on what lies ahead, or comments, I'd love to hear them.  When the world is finished, I'll be sure to put it up for anyone who wants to play around with it!  Meanwhile, thanks for taking the time to stop by and share in this little experiment!

Chuckles_82

Re: Experimenting, Building, and Sharing - The Box Canyon
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 04:12:31 AM »
Hi Vinyl,

Your painting and scultping looks very nice already. If you swing by my thread on Cypress Lakes, you will find lots of tips and things I've learnt along the way, as well as a list of resources that I have found useful (link in signature).

Naming lots: when you select a lot that you have placed, you will see a window to the lower left with the information (highlighted in yellow). You can simply click and type in there. You will also notice that you can change the lot type from there. That is how you create a firestation or a base camp with a stove. You build it as a house first, and the in CAW, you change the lot type. You can add additional value, so if you have a legacy/dynasty lot, you can make it the right price - just note that it is additional value - added to the base value of the lot size.

As for taking screenshots, you can still do this in edit-in-game, or you can use the snipping tool that comes with windows. Open your start menu and in the search box type 'snipping tool'. Add that to your start menu, it will become your best friend :D

The one thing that you may need to test for routing is travelling. I have read about problems with travelling due to no roads, but who knows, that may be fixed by now.

Good luck with your town!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Vinyl

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 11:45:52 AM »
Thanks Chuckles!  I've been following your thread - it was the biggest influence for installing CAW in the first place.  :D  I'm really looking forward to Cypress Lakes being completed (if you ever need a beta tester for it, just ask!).  The links and tips you have are amazingly helpful and the world looks incredible!

And thanks for the screenshot of the address.  CAW looks so simple, but even with tutorials and tips it can still get overwhelming and I miss things that are right in front of my face.  I'll be adding addresses all over town next time I fire up the world.

In the meantime, I spent all of last night banging my head against a colour wall.  I tried the old method of altering the .ini files to create a custom water colour.  My first failures came from a fault of reading comprehension. I was changing the details to .ini, but forgetting to add the instance information.  As a result, the .ini files didn't even get added to the world file.  Second round of failures came from changing the water values to something that wasn't noticeable in game.  After setting everything to red=0, green=20, and blue=0 this happened!

Holy Guacamole - that's green!

Success, sort of.  Since the green was way too intense, I tried different colour values.  And that's when everything went unpredictable.  The default water colour showed up whenever I loaded the world, but changed appropriately for the other weather patterns.  If I made the water extra blue, it would change colour in a rainstorm, but went back to default after.  I'm still unsure what was going wrong, but several attempts later I couldn't fix it, so I'm abandoning this method and turning my eyes towards the more intimidating looking colour ramp method.  It throws GIMP into the mix, but it looks like the payoff is greater after climbing the steep learning curve.  Fingers are crossed and hopes are high!

PS - Snipping Tool is now my new favourite thing!  Thanks again Chuckles!

Offline Vinyl

• Occult
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 09:01:07 AM »
So it turns out the colour ramp method is pretty painless and pretty darn awesome to boot!  All you need is a copy of notepad, paint.net, and S3PE.  The best part about it is how quickly a change made to the ramps can be loaded and seen in CAW.

Success!

It'll still be a while before I'm happy with the water colour.  With the colour ramps I managed to get the rock flour tint I was after, but seeing it in game I'm not satisfied with its colour compared to the orange landscape.  Now I'm trying out various rusty water tints, hoping to find an appropriate balance between brackish and sulphuric.   ;)

Another side benefit of the colour ramp method is the way the .ini files are split up.  There's one specifically for sea paramaters, which is wonderful - one change to murkiness is all you need for clear water or bridgeport muck.  There's more files overall, but they're more specific, making it easy to tweak only what you want.

The clear sky clouds set to 0.999 sharpness for maximum wispiness - images of cloud parameter tweaks can be found here

Other than playing with water colour not much more has changed in the world.  The addresses have been added.  Turns out it's quite easy to do once you know where to look!  For now my next steps are to finish playing with the water, get the residents/lots plan out of my head and onto paper, and to figure out what's happening in this shot - if it's a benign or bad thing, what causes it, and if it can be fixed.

Flat lot, flat land, jagged line

For those who might be curious about using the colour ramps, I'm grabbing screensnips here and there with an eye towards making a tutorial of how to change them the super simple way with paint.net.  If anyone is interested in seeing that sooner than later just let me know and I'll happily bump it up my project queue! 

Offline Vinyl

• Occult
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 10:46:34 PM »
In my previous post I mentioned the little jagged lines appearing around some lots.  If my research is correct, those are tiny little holes or tears in the world.  They can be caused by almost anything, it seems, and there's a variety of ways to fix them (maybe).  I'll try some more of the lower risk fixes, but so far there's been no change in their appearance from the methods I've used.  They aren't large, they don't cause any routing issues, and they're only visible at certain distances during certain times of the day, so I'm not really worried about them.  Still, it's something I'll keep an eye out for the next time I create a world.

The experimentation and building continue at a steady pace in the little canyon.  Egypt's heat shimmer effect .ini was added to the build for extra desert oomph.  It seems the distance value is how many sim-meters away the effect begins from the camera.  Below is a shot taken showing the value set to 10 (highlighter on the roof should help point out how close that is).  The world was one massive blur effect.

This must be what it looks like from inside a fishbowl

I'm not entirely sure how big a tiny world is, but I suspect it's somewhere around 200x200 (+/- 50).  Accounting for the mountain border and not wanting shimmer to get in the way of navigating or game play, 125 appears to be a good distance for this world.

Subtle shimmer effect at 125 distance  (Image taken from one corner of the valley looking towards the other)

After much colour ramp tweaking I'm pretty happy with my water colour.  It's a nice muddy version of the terrain paints.  Once the colour ramp back and forth was finished the hot springs building could commence!  The main purpose of them is to explain why the town hasn't dehydrated en masse, to act as a plausible place for wildlife and butterfly spawners, and to give the town a swimming hole.  Using constrainfloorelevation false the swimming pool walls were blended into the surrounding pond.  The swimming pool water reflects at a different angle than the pond, which isn't perfect, but at the right viewing angle it blends in (obviously the screenshot below isn't at that angle).

Muddy hot springs

I'm going to have to double check my sea .ini setting and dig around the internet to figure out why the water luminesces at night.  It doesn't happen with just this colour; it's done this with every colour ramp tweak made.  The effect is kinda nifty and I'm not worried about making it stop, but I am quite curious why it's happening.  Another thing I'll have to look into is the spawner situation.  When the park is placed into a fresh version of the world the spawners are doubling themselves.  The copies of the spawners are in the same location as the originals, just a small bit above them, hovering off the ground.  The park doesn't get flooded in lizards and butterflies when the game clock runs, thankfully.  Still, it's another oddity of the building system I want to learn more about.

The water glows at night!

Speaking of learning, the first residential lot was a lesson in apartment building from scratch.  It's a cramped row of shanty cottages all smushed together.  Every cabin except for one acts as an NPC apartment.  One of my goals with this town is to create space for homeless NPCs to live.  When this lot is placed in the world and a test sim is added to the playable shack, the apartments fill up within the day.  Every service from babysitter to repairman to mailman to maid has lived there in one game or another. 

The fencing around the front doors is a necessity, unfortunately - to designate a door as an NPC door it has to be within a room, whether it's walled or fenced.  I've also discovered that even though NPC spaces are blacked out when editing the lot, they can still be seen through windows.  Finding appropriate curtains to block the view into the empty rooms is another item on the to-do list.

Crowded NPC cabin apartments

In order for a sim to live comfortably in their ridiculously tiny cottage the public areas hold the washroom facilities and there's a (relatively) large outdoor space.  I put a fire pit down in it, added a selection of chairs, then moved it.  For no reason at all the chairs show up in one part of the yard but not the other.  Another thing to fiddle with and fix, but it does make for a silly screengrab!

Despite appearances, this NPC isn't a magician

All of the building I'm doing is done in a version of the world installed in game, rather than through CAW's edit in game mode.  Right now I'm trying to do the majority build of each lot, then moving on before I fall into the time consuming fiddly little details part.  It's working out quite well, with six lots now mostly done (cottage row, hot springs, criminal dive bar, criminal headquarters, town center, and saloon). 

The town center has four underground rabbitholes on four different sub-levels (school, town hall, police department, and hospital) as well as a mausoleum.  As a happy surprise in map view the four rabbithole icons appear, which makes it very easy to click on and interact with them.  Unfortunately rabbitholes can't go in a residential lot and sims can't live on a commercial lot, otherwise the doctor would have the hospital in his basement and the sherriff would have a jail in the backyard.  If main street winds up with lots to spare I might separate one of the rabbitholes out of there, but it's not looking likely.

Rustler's Den - criminal headquarters

The saloon is one of the most complete builds so far (and one of my faves).  It's surprising how big a 20x20 building can feel, even set three squares back from the sidewalk.  The bistro from Sunset Valley hides in the basement, so sims who've struck it rich can treat themselves to an excellent meal.

The Saloon

I toyed with the idea of putting a showtime stage or late night style band stage into the venue.  The showtime stage ate up half of the floor space, and since sims don't like to step on it unless they're performing it wasn't worth it.  The band stage would've worked if only there was a different drum kit, but it looks horribly out of place in this setting.  In the end a slightly battered piano took the place of honour and might end up working its way into the backstory of the world. 

Saloon main floor

As part of the mining town atmosphere there will be a couple of residential lots without bathing facilities (every home will have an outhouse, I promise!).  To solve the stinky sim problem the saloon and criminal bar have bathtubs for anyone's use.  They also have beds, though the ones in the saloon are much higher quality.

Saloon bedroom

Hopefully next time I'll have my festival lot to a shareable state (it's pretty straightforward to build, except when it isn't  ;) ).  As always, thanks for reading and don't be shy if you have any questions or comments!

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
  • Sends more than 20 PMs Per Hour
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 05:20:23 PM »
Loving the saloon. I think that the bathing sitch is really funny too. Also liking the beds at the Saloon.

Squirt's Super Submissions
I love Constructive Criticism!
"Krabs are so cheap, they can't even pay attention!"

Offline Vinyl

• Occult
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 02:46:42 PM »
Thanks!  I'm doing limited tests of my houses, and so far the active household members who are dirty will use the tubs on the community lots autonomously when they visit (yay!).

Things are still chugging along in the little canyon that could.  The festival lot is sort of done, but I'm not sure I'm happy with it yet.  There's some quirks about the festival lot system I'm still figuring out how to handle.

First thing I have to share about festival lots is that they are straightforward, as long as you don't touch the buydebug miscellaneous items.  If you do, prepare to have those items vanish or change seasons on you with no rhyme or reason.  Other than using that menu to find and place the seasonal lot marker, just stay out of it.  It has nothing to offer but heartbreak and tears.

Don't even look there - trust me, it's better that way!   :'(

This thread has an excellent guide to seasonal lot markers.  Basically the majority of your build options (walls, floors, pools, fencing, terrain, etc) will always appear regardless of season.  It's probably best to do the actual building first in common mode.  Watch out if you use columns - for some reason they don't act like other build items, so they will appear seasonally if they're placed that way.

After that, you can buy & decorate for the five 'seasons.' There's the four standard seasonal festivals and the construction phase, which is that first day of the season when the festival isn't in town.  If there's nothing done to the construction phase I think the game skips it and the appropriate festival will immediately show up on the first day of a new season, but I haven't tried it so can't confirm if it does or doesn't.

The concept of the town's festival lot is it's a worthless mining claim the townies converted to a junkyard, while travelling caravans and traders set up shop in the remnants of the miner's shack whenever they pass through town.  Ah, there were such wonderful wagons, carts, and crates in the buydebug misc category (sob)... 

Spring - book register and spring kiosk

Summer - relic register (only sells metals and gems) and kiosk

Fall - elixir register and kiosk, plus some alchemical plants

Winter - a pile of hay

Originally there were no kiosks on the lot, but then the spring egg hunt happened.  It's pretty amusing to see - twenty brightly coloured eggs "hidden" on the ground of a 10x10 lot.  Since they give out tickets I added the kiosks as a place for sims to redeem them, but just looking at the pictures I've decided to strip them out again and ignore the ticket system entirely.  So it's on to attempt three for the festival lot!

A note about seasonal lots - sims you don't control might be able to access and use things hidden in the different seasons.  I've seen townies read books from the spring bookcase when it's fall, then drop them on the ground when they leave the lot.  My test sim was neat, so she kept getting herself into a loop of 'try to put away book,' 'can't get to bookshelf,' 'drop book,' 'try to put away book'...

Also, a gypsy wagon counts as a rabbithole, so don't place it seasonally.  Your fortune teller will still go to work on the off season, but to an invisible pocket dimension.  That's probably not good for the game!

Other than repeatedly rebuilding that dang seasonal lot, other things have been shaping up around town.  Experimenting with some of the fog emitter options helped to heat up the springs.  There's an utterly ridiculous amount of options for the fog emitter - it's pretty overwhelming, so I looked for tutorials on how to use it to build a specific thing (like an aboveground aquarium).  That helped narrow down which water effects might be useful.

Bubbles and steam!

The miners' shacks got built today.  There's still some detailing to be done, but it's nice to see them in place.

Just look at those carts and crates... *sniffle*

Main street is still pretty sparse, but it did get another commercial establishment added.  It's a consignment store upstairs, with a regular grocery store hidden in the basement.  I'd considered having the consignment store on the festival lot, but didn't want to risk too many consigned items getting lost in the seasonal void.  It's a risk I'll take with the elixir register (though I will be testing it!).

With all the lanterns in town, it makes sense there's a store that sells them!

The criminal part of the canyon is essentially finished.  Other than tweaking things if the inspiration strikes, the builds are pretty much good to go.  I've been using the lots themselves to add most of the spawners to the world, rather than doing it in CAW.  Mainly it's because this lets me see the in game effect quickly without having to export and install the world each time I add or change spawners.  At this point the spawners are more of a decor item than anything - the world doesn't even have fish, so it's not exactly balanced!   ;)

Abandoned mining barracks (criminal residential) and abandoned mining company store (criminal dive bar)

Things are quickly approaching the point where my townies will have to be created and their residences sorted out.  There's only so many residential lots, and the game's story progression wants a minimum of three empty lots (or 5%, whichever is highest) in town.  If I place too many pre-made families the game will simply kick them out as soon as it gets a chance.  Which means I've got to come up with at least a sim for every rabbithole career, balance that against demographics (age, gender, etc), and then figure out how to arrange them in the handful of houses available.  It's why main street will probably be the last thing I build - I need to know how many sims each house will hold before I can start designing them.

Things are starting to fill in!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Chuckles_82

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 06:26:37 PM »
It's looking very authentic :D The springs look really good. And the roof on that second last shot is amazing! I would never have thought to add so many different bits at different heights to make it uneven and run-down looking. very clever!

Offline cndneh

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 06:54:28 PM »
Love the look of it, can't wait to get home and see it on my computer (instead of my blackberry)!

:)

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 05:00:15 PM »
I truly am loving it. It'll be hard to sort through all of the demographics. Shame about the misc. catalog, I would like to see more to the festival lot, it seems a little, empty.

Offline Vinyl

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 10:51:33 PM »
It's looking very authentic :D The springs look really good. And the roof on that second last shot is amazing! I would never have thought to add so many different bits at different heights to make it uneven and run-down looking. very clever!
Thanks!  I wish I could remember what triggered the inspiration, but I think it boiled down to creating a roof segment only one square thick by accident.  Seeing it suddenly opened up the possibilities of a roof made of sections, and a roof made of sections meant differing heights.  There's another example of it in the miner shack picture - the cabin with the dark brown roof.  That one was originally styled to look like it was sinking down to one side, but it wound up looking less sloping and more ultramodern.  The mid-buckle approach seems to work best so far for the "abandoned" feel. 

Love the look of it, can't wait to get home and see it on my computer (instead of my blackberry)!
Hopefully it didn't end up looking better on the blackberry after all.   ;)

I truly am loving it. It'll be hard to sort through all of the demographics. Shame about the misc. catalog, I would like to see more to the festival lot, it seems a little, empty.
That festival lot is getting re-done again, and the lack of terrain paint doesn't help the empty look.  Unfortunately I haven't found a terrain paint in Edit Town that matches the CAW sand terrain, which means the only way I can remove paint accidents is with the undo function. 

There isn't much else to report at the moment.  Mainly I've been researching options for the ranch house, crushing my browser by loading up dozens of images at a time.  The first attempt at an adobe-inspired building wound up looking like a house straight out of Al Simhara, so that's been scrapped.  Now it's a toss up between some fascinating old wooden ranch architecture or going the red-tile white-washed stucco route (or maybe a blend of both!). 

In the meantime, I'll share the town's main community lot.  This one has all of the rabbitholes (they're working so far, even if it looks like an architectural trainwreck in the basements).  Buried under the ground are the hospital, police station, town hall, and school.  Above ground is a mausoleum and buildings which house interactive equivalents of the rabbitholes. 

Doctor's office, jail, town hall (combined mayor's office and classroom), and mausoleum in rear

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 12:30:49 PM »
I like the main community lot! Very mish mashy, but very pretty.

Offline PolarBair

• Occult
    • This is a link to my studio on the exchange where my builds can be downloaded.
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 07:08:59 PM »
That Saloon does look totally awesome. Is that on the swapshop? Or will I have to wait until this world is done to get my hands on it?
My Builds
The EPs I have are:
Ambitions
World Adventurer
Late Night
Showtime
Seasons

Chuckles_82

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 02:20:11 AM »
Do you think that you could write a tutorial on how to change the water colour, with the basic steps? Where to get the file that you edit, how to edit it (can you just adjust the colour of the whole imaage?) Do you need to change any numbers? Do you need to import any ini files? Which ones? Do you need to change any numbers? Does it show up in CAW and in EIG?

Sorry for the all the questions - I'm trying to wrap my head around how to do it, and it just seems like a load of gobbly gook.

EDIT: By Jove, I think I've got it! To just change the water colour, you need to edit the _IMG colour ramp file: S3_00B2D882_0076A684_7529C26EE8E2A9E6%%+_IMG

It's the same file in any world that has different water colour.

Export it to file
Open in image editing software
In photoshop, you use Image-> Adjustments -> Selective colour
Chose to replace cyans, or the main colour that you see in all the colours. Adjust the sliders to get the colour you want.
Save - NO MIPMAPS, 32 bit ARGB (very important)
Import this file to your world. If you save in CAW, it will get deleted, so you need to import it once more before you export.

Offline Vinyl

• Occult
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
That's sounding right!  Depends on what weather you've got for your world.  There can be colour ramps for sunny, partly cloudy, cloudy, foggy, and custom.  But there might also be a way to limit which weather patterns show up - I think I read that world adventure worlds only have two weather patterns, one set to always occurs and one set to never occur.

If you're unsure if you have more than one weather type you can quickly check in game by using testingcheats and clicking on empty ground.  There should be a 'Seasons' radial option and you can set the weather to sunny, foggy, rain, snow, etc., as well as choose which season of the year it is.  Just keep an eye on your water and it'll be obvious if it jumps back and forth between custom colour and base colour.  By checking in game I mean loading an export of your world into the normal game and trying it there - I haven't checked if it works the same through CAW's edit-in-game mode.

Thanks for reminding me about the tutorial.  At this point I don't think you need it any more, but I should get it done for others (and my own lousy memory).  I've got most of my snips ready to go - just need to grab some shots of putting the finished ramp into the world and write it up.  In the meantime I highly recommend checking out this labelled image of the colour ramps, in case you haven't seen it yet or want to start playing with the sky.

That Saloon does look totally awesome. Is that on the swapshop? Or will I have to wait until this world is done to get my hands on it?
Sorry for the delay on this reply.  Somehow I managed to miss your question.  For the moment I'm not uploading any of the individual builds since they're only in the 'mostly finished' stage.  Which means they're probably done, but it's quite likely I'll realize the entire town is missing a <insert important thing here> and then I'll have to put them everywhere in damage control crisis build mode.   ;)  With the recent challenges and my dynasty out of the way the little box canyon should get back on track quite soon.