Author Topic: The Lady of the Lake: Epilogue (Completed)  (Read 61618 times)

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
The Lady of the Lake: Epilogue (Completed)
« on: May 03, 2013, 06:53:44 AM »
The Lady of the Lake: Introduction

Long ago before the written word, stories were passed by word of mouth.  Stories of the splendid feats, powerful warriors, furious battles and great kings were told and retold.  Stories were used to encourage and unify the populace.  Stories of mighty battles inspired future warriors to glory: and tales of great, kindly and wise kings united the people.  Stories that narrated inexplicable events explained them as the work of Gods, witches, fairies and the like.  And human nature being what it is, the stories were embellished with each telling.  Centuries later, it became impossible to distinguish fact from myth. 

When the written word overtook storytelling, record keeping became both mundane documentation, such as a tithe house inventory, or inspiration for the masses, e.g. The Epic of Gilgamesh.  All of these became regarded as fact.  But Homer’s epic poems of The Iliad and The Odyssey passed into legend and the realm of make believe until the city of Troy was discovered by Heinrich Schliemann.  Troy had existed and the evidence suggests the sacking of Troy did take place.  The identities of the participants had been verified by alternate sources, although the majestic feats of The Iliad were still regarded as fantasy.  But consider this: historical accuracy may not have been Homer’s intent.  Perhaps his primary desire was to inspire and unify the people of his time.

Similarly, Arthurian legend is considered by many to be literary invention.  Although the written word had been available well before the time that King Arthur was reputed to have lived, it was not until Geoffrey of Monmouth’s epic Historia Regum Britanniae (c1138) was published that the story of Arthur Pendragon became popular.  Historians place the events of Monmouth’s King Arthur around late 5th century to early 6th century AD.

The fantasy rich plotline of Camelot and King Arthur with magically procured seductions, salacious adulterous betrayals, heroic battles and magnificent quests, generated a veritable avalanche of sequel stories, each one more fanciful than the last.  The intelligence of good King Arthur, the beauty of Guinevere, the tragedy of the magician Merlin, the magnificence of Camelot, the bravery of Lancelot and the Knights of the Round Table, the purity of Sir Galahad, the mysterious Lady of the Lake, and the sanctity of Avalon were all thought by historians to be folklore but the reading public loved every sensational morsel.  Historians!  Pffffffft!  What do they know of inspiration, entertainment and romance?  For this, dear readers, is indeed a story of fantasy. 

“The Lady of the Lake” is a work of fiction. Lady Valerie and Arthurian characters, as well as many in-game incidents are a product of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously.  Artistic or literary license is used extensively.

Members of the Forum, I welcome your comments on my story.   All reasonable constructive criticism is welcome.
Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Offline Eldridge

• I am thou, thou art I
  • Watcher
  • Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Intro
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 09:58:12 AM »
Finally! I can read your story from the beginning :) !

There so many amazing words that you used there that fit the Introduction very well. Just with that alone just make this story is interesting. So many reference and I just knew a little, I must catch up with that in case there many reference that taken from that title. And that was a great start with such an Introduction.

I have nothing to add here, just demand more pictures :P
“Sometimes the little things in life mean the most.” ― Ellen Hopkins

My Stories:
1. The Demosthenes Immortal Dynasty: Kev's Corner #08 - Thankful (31/12/13)
2. The Goode-Rotter's Life Story: Case Eleven - Signs of Love (27/12/13)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 07:03:15 PM »
You've already got me hooked. :) The Arthurian legends are a favorite of mine, and I can't wait to see what you do with this!

Offline PrincessMimi

• Townie
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 07:12:05 PM »
Yay! I love olden-timey stories! Is Lady Valerie's dress CC?

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 11:34:50 PM »
Finally! I can read your story from the beginning :) !

There so many amazing words that you used there that fit the Introduction very well. Just with that alone just make this story is interesting. So many reference and I just knew a little, I must catch up with that in case there many reference that taken from that title. And that was a great start with such an Introduction.

I have nothing to add here, just demand more pictures :P

Duly noted.  More pictures coming up.

You've already got me hooked. :) The Arthurian legends are a favorite of mine, and I can't wait to see what you do with this!

Thanks Raia.  I'm going out on a limb here so I hope you'll like it.

Yay! I love olden-timey stories! Is Lady Valerie's dress CC?

Thank you.  I'm a sucker for historical romances.  So I decided to make up one.
The dress is Happily Ever After - Maid Merry Dress from the store.  It was part of the 'Once Upon a Time Cottage' set but can be bought separately.

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline ve1ocity

• !I believe in Simverse!
  • Occult
  • Sims 4!
    • Six at Sunset
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 06:24:23 AM »
This seems, oh so awesome! I've been a fan of the TV series Merlin and always loved the Arthurian legends since I read the Arthur Triology by Kevin Crossely-Holland.

Longing to read more!
Read my newest vampire saga! HIATUS
Mission Unnamed

Will Aphrodite ever find True Love?  HIATUS
Yes, its the Greek Gods! Read their antics!
The Greek Gods : An Immortal Dynasty

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 07:16:15 AM »
This looks to be an interesting story. I've always been a fan of stories of King Arthur and Merlin. Looking forward to seeing more. :)
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 08:32:27 AM »
This seems, oh so awesome! I've been a fan of the TV series Merlin and always loved the Arthurian legends since I read the Arthur Triology by Kevin Crossely-Holland.

Longing to read more!

This looks to be an interesting story. I've always been a fan of stories of King Arthur and Merlin. Looking forward to seeing more. :)

I plan to loosly follow Sir Thomas Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur for the intro and prologue, then create my own story, but I hope you will find this entertaining.

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Prologue
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 09:22:09 AM »
The Lady of the Lake: Prologue

The Lady of the Lake has been given many names in Arthurian literature:  Nimue, Vivian, Elaine, Niniane, Nivian, Nyneve, and Evienne, to name but a few.  However, the chosen few know this particular Lady of the Lake as Lady Valerie.

Whether she was King Arthur’s half sister is immaterial.  Whether Merlin tutored Lady Valerie in magic or whether she was a natural master of magic, is also unimportant.  For Lady Valerie was indeed a powerful sorceress. 

There are many in Camelot who believed that Lady Valerie had discovered a Fountain of Youth Elixir.  An elixir so powerful, by drinking it, she would never age.  But gifted with foresight, King Pelles foretold that the lovely Lady Valerie would not age until her true love's lips touched hers.  Although many a nobleman and not so noble men tried to kiss her, they found themselves icy cold for their troubles.

Lady Valerie lived quietly in isolation on the island of Avalon.  It was there she took the infant Lancelot du Lac, after the death of his own father and raised him.  Aided by powerful magic, Lady Valerie’s servants later rescued Lancelot’s cousins, Bors and Lionel, the sons of King Bors of Gaunnes, from the murderous Claudas’ court. 

Time passed and time stood still.  As the three cousins grew into adulthood, the Lady Valerie remained youthful and was still a young maiden when Sir Lancelot’s son, Sir Galahad was knighted by King Arthur and took his father’s place as the greatest of the Knights of the Round Table.  Unknown to all but herself, Sir Galahad was Lady Valerie’s one true love.

Knowing that Sir Galahad must remain pious and pure in order to achieve his quest for the Holy Grail, Lady Valerie hid her love and prepared her valiant knight with elixirs and charms for this the most dangerous of quests, taking nothing but a lock of his hair to remember him by. 

At the end of his quest Sir Galahad triumphantly bore the vessel to the holy city of Sarras.  Half a world away in Camelot, Lady Valerie waited patiently for her beloved knight’s return to declare her love.

But alas, Sir Galahad not knowing of the love that awaited him, chose death to keep the earthly location of the Holy Grail forever secret... 

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 09:56:48 AM »
Oh no! Poor Valerie  :'( How lonely and heartbroken she will be.

I am excited to see a new Magz story!
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Offline ve1ocity

• !I believe in Simverse!
  • Occult
  • Sims 4!
    • Six at Sunset
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 10:24:42 AM »
Such a sad start...

I love the how vibrant you've made their dresses!
Read my newest vampire saga! HIATUS
Mission Unnamed

Will Aphrodite ever find True Love?  HIATUS
Yes, its the Greek Gods! Read their antics!
The Greek Gods : An Immortal Dynasty

Offline Eldridge

• I am thou, thou art I
  • Watcher
  • Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 11:33:33 AM »
That was a sad beginning. Poor Valerie.

And the dress choice is look so fit into the story.

For the screen shots, you doing it well. The amount of pictures are compatible. You captured the right moment for the situation and expression. That was really add the feel into the story itself.
“Sometimes the little things in life mean the most.” ― Ellen Hopkins

My Stories:
1. The Demosthenes Immortal Dynasty: Kev's Corner #08 - Thankful (31/12/13)
2. The Goode-Rotter's Life Story: Case Eleven - Signs of Love (27/12/13)

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Explanation from the Author
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 08:46:45 AM »
Explanations from the Author

To me the legend of King Arthur is one of literature’s most enthralling stories.  It has all the requisite elements: drama, adventure, romance, conflict and betrayal combined with, interesting characters and magic making it an obvious choice for an addicted Simmer with the Supernatural EP...

But here is where my tale departs from the previously published and dramatised versions of Arthurian legend.  I have purposely selected two obscure characters and given them a story of their own.  For the purists and those hoping for an Elaine-Lancelot/Guinevere-Arthur resolution, perhaps another time or another author can satisfy your requirements.

By way of explanation, there were many Ladies of the Lake.  Some were good while others were not; and some were just mysterious, unknown or unnamed maidens.  Our Lady Valerie was not the Lady of the Lake who was slain by Balyn, nor did she enchant or imprison Merlin.  But our Lady Valerie was indeed one of the ladies who rose from the lake and took the dying King Arthur away.

For my other protagonist, Sir Bors the Younger, and for some other ancillary characters, I have created different endings to the sad and untimely deaths they suffered in other versions.

For the benefit of our multicultural readers, who have enough to contend with translating my Australian English, I have specifically not used old world text in my narrative.  Again to the purists, I apologise.  If you’re still interested, read on...

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Prologue
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 08:54:22 AM »
Valerie is an interesting character. On one side you see a woman of strength, a powerful sorceress and mother figure to those who would become powerful knights. At the same time, though...you see a fragile side to her, a side that longs to love.

This is a very intriguing beginning. :)

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 1 (May 6)
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 08:59:27 AM »
The Lady of the Lake:  Chapter 1

Lady Valerie waited many weeks in the gardens and castle of Camelot lost in sweet dreams of her love and learning the ways of the court.  After living much of her life on Avalon, Lady Valerie had no knowledge of court rules and there was much for her to learn in order for her to take her rightful place as one of the ladies of King Arthur’s court.  There were many in Camelot who mistook Lady Valerie’s innocence for childishness and only her sister-in-law and Queen, Guinevere, saw the keen intelligence and virtue in the childlike demeanour.

It was to the Queen that Lady Valerie confessed her love for Sir Galahad.  And it was Guinevere who petitioned her husband to allow a marriage between his half-sister and Sir Galahad to take place. 

For Guinevere too was certain that as soon as Sir Galahad would learn of Lady Valerie’s love, he would acknowledge that he loved her too.  Guinevere knew that it had been Lady Valerie from whom Sir Galahad had sought assistance to prepare for his quest, it was Lady Valerie’s favour that he wore in jousting tournaments, her colour of vermillion that he chose for his tunic instead of his father’s maroon, and it was Lady Valerie that Sir Galahad had danced exclusively with at the Yule Ball.  Yes, Guinevere was certain that Sir Galahad did return her sister-in-law’s love had he been able to allow his mind to conceive of courtly love.

Reluctantly King Arthur agreed to the absentee betrothal for he was not certain that his half-sister was not a simpleton.  Reluctantly, Sir Lancelot too agreed to the marriage of his son Galahad.  However, he remained unconvinced that the affection with which his son regarded Lady Valerie would ever become an earthly love, such was Sir Galahad’s purity.  But still, he prepared for his lands at Joyous Gard to be given to Sir Galahad after the marriage.

Lady Valerie returned briefly to Avalon and said goodbye to the woman who had been her foster-mother, step-sister and friend, Morgan le Fay.  She then left for Camelot taking few possessions but many elixirs, key collectable ingredients and ten of each perfect harvestable.  She brought with her only two servants, her maid Bronwyn and Bronwyn’s husband, Alun.

Lady Valerie’s servants constantly fussed over her with Bronwyn particularly worried about Lady Valerie as the months passed slowly.  Every bugle call that announced the approach of horsemen, made Lady Valerie’s heart beat fast in her chest.  She would run to the tower of the keep and watch the approach of the horseman.  As Camelot was the administrative centre of the kingdom, many horseman arrived with messages and requests for King Arthur.

Meanwhile, Lady Valerie dreamed of her first kiss from Sir Galahad which would break the curse of eternal youth.  She planned carefully for their wedding and life at Joyous Gard, where she hoped that she and Galahad would grow old and prosperous together surrounded by many of their children.  She reassured Bronwyn that there would always be a place for her and her husband in her new home and that her upcoming marriage would not change Bronwyn’s status.

Then one day, Lady Valerie saw that the approaching horseman wore the livery of King Pelles, Sir Galahad’s grandfather.  Lady Valerie noted among the riders, the colours of Sir Bors, who she knew rode off with Sir Galahad on the Grail quest.  She ran down the tower’s narrow steps and through the castle at an unseemly pace for a future lady of the court, but Lady Valerie didn’t care.  She would at last have some news of Sir Galahad and the quest.

“My lady!” admonished Bronwyn, “You cannot go into court in such disarray.  Come to your rooms and I will bathe and dress you fitting for attending court.”

“I must hear the news King Pelles’ messenger brings!” she replied.

“Your cheeks are red and your hair needs a brush.  Nor is that dress suitable for being at court,” Bronwyn reproached.  “It is not King Pelles’ messenger who arrives, but the King himself.  Come and allow me to dress you for the honour of your betrothed’s kinsman.”

Reluctantly, Lady Valerie allowed Bronwyn to prepare her for court.  She had just finished her hurried toilette when she heard a knock on her chamber’s door.  Alun answered the knock and the distinctive voice of Sir Lancelot echoed around the small antechamber.  “I must speak with the Lady Valerie.”

Valerie ran into her small sitting room and bowed low as befitting a future daughter-in-law, “My Lord” she said then lifted her head, eager to hear news.  As her eyes rose she could see a distinct rigidity in his bearing, the grim set of Sir Lancelot’s jaw, and the pallor of his face.  Tears welled in her eyes before he gently took her hand in his.

“My Lady, I bring you sad tidings.  My son, Sir Galahad will never return from the Holy Land.  Nor will many of the brave Knights of the Round Table who accompanied him.”

“Did Sir Bors bring back his urn or his tombstone?” she asked, tears silently sliding down her cheeks.

“No, my Lady, nothing remains.  Sir Galahad was carried aloft not by Grim but by a choir of angels.”  Sir Lancelot held Lady Valerie as she wept on his shoulder. 

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake