Author Topic: Beauty and the Beast - a Sims Retelling  (Read 12651 times)

Offline Figwit

• Immortal
Beauty and the Beast - a Sims Retelling
« on: May 23, 2013, 01:40:32 AM »
Arrival

The day had arrived when I must leave for the castle. My sisters sobbed and clung to me. I believe they will quickly recover. My father has done me no favours by blatantly spoiling me above the others.

Well, sisters, see where being the preferred child has got me.

My father, hugged me one last time, and brushed a tear from his cheek. My eyes were dry. 

Last night, the last I would spend in my beloved home, we had gathered around the table for supper. The conversation had fallen off. It was difficult to pretend that a dark cloud of doom was not hovering above my head. The clatter of our spoons against the cheap crockery plates seemed overly loud and on the wall, the clock ticked away the minutes, a relentless reminder that my doom approached.

My father sat, silent, barely picking at his food.  It had been a difficult week since his return and his tale of imprisonment by the Beast for stealing a rose from his garden. I, the reason for his theft, was to take his place at the Beast's castle.

I knew not where my future lay. Perhaps the Beast would torture or kill me or worse, as my sister Blanche slyly suggested.  I sensed she had much that she wanted to say, and none of it good.

My father, who, up till then had barely lifted his head from his depression and shame, had sparked to life, thumping the table and causing the crockery to dance and clatter.

'No.' He protested angrily. 'He has promised he will treat her with respect and honour and will do her no harm.'

For the first time that week my father's eyes met mine. I am afraid there was no conviction in them. He spoke as he wanted to believe and soon again dropped his gaze to his hands. 

He knew no more than I.

As promised, a minion arrived to transport me to the Beast's castle.

He met me at the door. I held my head high praying that my fear would not cause my knees to betray me as I took my first steps to my new life.

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
  • Sends more than 20 PMs Per Hour
Re: Beauty and the Beast - a Sims Retelling
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 08:14:50 AM »
Oh my. I do love this version of the tale more than Disney's. I promise you, I'll be watching!

Squirt's Super Submissions
I love Constructive Criticism!
"Krabs are so cheap, they can't even pay attention!"

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Figwit

• Immortal
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 10:10:26 AM »
Thank you.  I hope you enjoy it  :)

Louise56

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 12:33:45 PM »
I love this! I can't wait to meet the beast. Bookmarked. :D

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 09:18:02 PM »
I was wary of any retelling of my favourite fairy tale, but this is enrapturing! Not sure that's an adjective, but this story is doing that to me! Please continue!
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Offline Figwit

• Immortal
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 10:28:38 PM »
Thank you for your kind words.  I will do my best not to disappoint.  ;D

The beast was welcoming.

It was as if I was a regular guest and not his prisoner.

'I expect you're tired and hungry.'

His voice was deep and strong and I bent my mind to listen to his words and respond as best I could while my heart pounded.

His face was indeed frightening but his eyes were human and that, I believe, calmed my fears somewhat.

We dined at a huge table laden with food concoctions so exotic I would have trouble identifying the ingredients. Did he really expect me to eat? 

I had no idea who had cooked the food or laid the table but I thought my senses were leaving me when my plate was seized by invisible hands.

He chuckled, deep and rumbling.

'My servants are not what you expected?'

His mirth gave way to darkness and my fear returned.

'They are thralls of this cursed place, as am I.  But you,' he looked up and, casting off his previous mood, smiled. ' You will bring sunshine and light into our lives, my dear.'

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 03:41:20 AM »
It's an interesting feel to this. Almost animesque. Quite intriguing. I am enjoying Beauty's reactions to the Beast already.

By samoht04

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Louise56

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 09:54:00 AM »
Very intriguing! Love the update. :)

Offline Figwit

• Immortal
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 11:35:18 PM »
Thank you.

The castle interior was dark and gloomy and certainly lacked sunshine. 

The one bright spot was my room. It was light and airy and prettily decorated in soft feminine colours. Interestingly the theme was roses. I had to think that was deliberate.

The walls were hung with mirrors which glowed with a gentle fire in the candle light and sparkled with molten gold in the warm rays of early morning sunshine.

My room, I later discovered, was the only room with mirrors.

The Beast did not like mirrors.

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 02:00:34 AM »
Kind of sad the chapter was so short, but I like Beauty's room, it's very pretty. And her snark is so much fun--yes, I think the roses were deliberate.

By samoht04

Offline Figwit

• Immortal
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 02:19:33 AM »
Thank you.  Sorry, it was a bit short but more will be along soon.  :D

Louise56

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 05:30:47 AM »
Her room is so beautiful! I love the painting above the bed.

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
  • Sends more than 20 PMs Per Hour
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 08:26:58 AM »
No, I would not think he would like mirrors. Yes, the roses were deliberate. This chapter has quite the somber feeling. Sad people with not much else to do will often describe where they are in detail. I love your writing.

Squirt's Super Submissions
I love Constructive Criticism!
"Krabs are so cheap, they can't even pay attention!"

Offline Figwit

• Immortal
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 09:36:22 AM »
Thank you.  I love the comments  :)

I had thought to kill him in that last week before I left home. I would accept my imprisonment so that I could end his wretched life.  I wasn't sure how I would accomplish such a task. I lacked all knowledge of poisons and our small village had no apothecary capable of killing more than a fever.

A knife would have done it. A slim, sharp and lethal instrument that I could plunge into his wicked heart. 

Unfortunately our only blades were strong and sturdy kitchen knives, good only for chopping potatoes. Besides, they could not be spared.

One day, early in my stay, I found my weapon buried under some papers in a bureau drawer.

The handle was decorated with carvings of leaves and vines and the blade flashed silver in the gloom.  It was a pretty thing, easily concealed in my sleeve. It would do. I would bury it in his neck as he bent over his soup.

Somehow, he knew. I expected anger but instead he sighed and his voice was sad.

'For you or for me?' He asked, raising an eyebrow as he prised it from my trembling hand.

'If you, that I will not allow. If me, you are wasting your time. I cannot be killed.'

He took me then to his room and showed me a spider in a glass case. A strange and ugly decoration for a bedroom.

'She is harmless. She died long ago.' His voice was gentle.

'I honour her courage and her last fruitless mission by conserving her remains in this display.'

He propelled me towards the ugly thing.

'There are none like her in this land. You would have to travel long, wearisome roads to far-away places to find such as she.'

'Shy and docile mostly, but fearsome when cornered. She could kill a man with one bite.'

'But not, it seems, a Beast.'

Offline PrincessMimi

• Townie
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 10:43:04 AM »
What a cool story! Beauty, or Belle, is gorgeous, and you portrayed the Beast quite cleverly under the restrictions of Sim World.