Author Topic: The Sims Medieval  (Read 93162 times)

Offline Glic2000

• Townie
Re: The Sims Medieval
« Reply #225 on: February 12, 2011, 11:00:39 PM »
;D I might be old but I'm not quite that old, so you assume right.

I am being very indecisive though.  I've just gone to pre-order and find that I have a choice of three versions:

• The Sims Medieval

• The Sims Medieval Limited Edition
    (with three extra throne rooms, special outfit for king and queen and special outfit for male and female executioner)

• The Sims Medieval Collectors Edition
    (with permissions to download three extra throne rooms and ten outfits; plus poster, map, artwork booklet, cd of the music and wax seal)

I don't know which to pick. I'm thinking that it may be sensible to go with the cheapest... anyone have any opinions, please?

I thought they changed the prices so that the Limited Edition and regular edition are the same price?

I'm not a fan of Collector's Editions because they're usually a lot more expensive and only have a few minor additions.  However, it all depends on the price and the quality of the extras....

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #226 on: February 13, 2011, 05:30:21 PM »
I've learned from the best (Pam and Swede). But thank you for the compliment. If I would visit people here in real life than you will notice that I have a native tongue. Especially because there will be words for (example) furniture in house that I don't know the English translation for.
But words taken from medieval period are so far from before my time (I asume before your time too :P) I than will find problems.

It's ok, Leto.  I'm as old as dirt so I'll gladly help you find/learn the medieval words.  ;) History buff here as well, though not a purist.  I don't mind mixing eras up a bit for game play.

One issue I'm having with the game though is no aging.  I like playing with aging off sometimes, but I also like having my nooboos grow up.  I think it will distract from the game play to be able to marry and have children but not have them ever grow up.  I mean, really, can you imagine having to lug around a kid tied immobile on a back board kind of thing, (swaddled), where you only changed the mess around his nether parts once or twice a day?  They didn't have nappies back then you know.  And toddlers often went around bare butt so you just cleaned up after them till you got them trained to use the garde robe in a castle or hole in the board in the outhouse out back.  It was NOT the most sanitary of times. lol
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #227 on: February 13, 2011, 05:51:57 PM »
One issue I'm having with the game though is no aging.

Hmmm...interesting. I was not aware that Sims in Medieval will not age. I can see that choice by EA though because it fits more in line with the timeless aspect of most role-playing/questing games.

Leto85

« Reply #228 on: February 13, 2011, 06:55:32 PM »
One issue I'm having with the game though is no aging.

Well, there is the first downside of the game!
Howly plantcow and immediatly it's a big one. Wow, no aging at all? That is truely disapointing. Still, I want this game (although not as bad anymore as before). If I don't like to play it, I can always use it for filming.

Priyansh

« Reply #229 on: February 13, 2011, 07:33:11 PM »
That is the only thing keeping me off from the game. But things will be easy for me: I hate aging in the game! :D

In this game your sim can marry a woman/man and have kids, but they will always be either babies or what we call Toddlers.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #230 on: February 13, 2011, 10:11:17 PM »
If it's not to be a generational game, there's no need for aging.  From what I understand, this game will have definite endings, unlike Sims 3 where a game can last virtually forever.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Glic2000

• Townie
« Reply #231 on: February 13, 2011, 10:18:16 PM »
Also, your Sim children will apparently age up to adults only if an adult dies and the child is required to take their place.  So, they only age up to serve as an heir or succesor, apparently.  That sort of fits with the medieval theme, I suppose.

I don't know exactly how it works, this is just what I've gleaned from various previews...

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Priyansh

« Reply #232 on: February 14, 2011, 05:49:58 AM »
I think the game will end when you have achieved your Lifetime Wish, err, Goal of your Kingdom, or your sim dies leaving none other in the household.

Offline Naga

• Top Secret
  • Immortal
« Reply #233 on: February 14, 2011, 08:04:18 AM »
You will most likely be able to keep playing a kingdom after you have completed it's main goal. What for, you ask? Well, I have no idea.

Priyansh

« Reply #234 on: February 14, 2011, 08:26:53 AM »
I am asking for, as EA said, choosing glory or might as a goal.

Phew, if only I could see the end of Medieval age and the beginning of Colonial age, the most beautiful period in history.

Leto85

« Reply #235 on: February 14, 2011, 09:08:15 AM »
I am asking for, as EA said, choosing glory or might as a goal.

Phew, if only I could see the end of Medieval age and the beginning of Colonial age, the most beautiful period in history.

Makes me think, what comes after this (knowledge age), the nano age maybe?
I'm still wondering why there is no aging in that game. Okey, medieval does have an end, but still...

Priyansh

« Reply #236 on: February 14, 2011, 11:43:07 AM »
Makes me think, what comes after this (knowledge age), the nano age maybe?
I'm still wondering why there is no aging in that game. Okey, medieval does have an end, but still...

The future age, for the answer to your guessing. And I wish there was aging. EA could make aging so that the Medieval period doesn't end. I hope that a cheat will allow us to do so.

I wish I could go to France. I know how majestic France was back in the medieval and colonial days, with such a great looks and dresses that you might faint when you get there.

The thing that took away the royal style from every country is..........electricity. But still I thank it.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #237 on: February 15, 2011, 02:32:15 PM »
What?  It wasn't the flush toilet?  Now to me that would have been as of a blessing, if not more so, than mere electricity.  lol  Although I do admit the clothing was awe inspiring, at least for the wealthy.  I'd rather go backward in time to the classical periods of Troy, Egypt, Rome, Carthage and more,  than Colonial times.  And puhleeze, let's avoid the Industrial era.

Here's a bit of trivia for you.   In Medieval Times, and later, young women who were skilled in spinning were often bought from their families, (who sometimes continued to be supported by the lord of the land), and placed in very damp, but clean, dungeons where they would spend their days in darkness doing nothing but spinning fine threads for lace making.  Spinning is a very tactile skill and best done without vision and in a damp environment, or so it was thought.  These threads were often as fine as human hair and just slightly thicker when plied together to make a stronger thread.  The young women were otherwise treated fairly well being well clothed and fed.  Unfortunately the damp environment did not lead to long lives and other than that, if they could survive, they often were blind afterward.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #238 on: February 15, 2011, 02:43:27 PM »
Here's a bit of trivia for you.   In Medieval Times, and later, young women who were skilled in spinning were often bought from their families...

This is firsthand knowledge for you? I'm kidding! I'm kidding! (Go ahead and slap me)  ;D

Offline Gheez

• ( 'guh ease' )
  • Immortal
« Reply #239 on: February 15, 2011, 03:28:44 PM »
This is firsthand knowledge for you? I'm kidding! I'm kidding! (Go ahead and slap me)  ;D

Wouldn't it be amazing if it were - Joria would be our living, breathing example of how we'd ideally like Sims Medieval to be!  ;)

It doesn't sound as if the game play will be quite as free-form as we are used to with the Sims. I'm wondering if it will be more similar to those point and click adventures (anyone remember Monkey Island) where certain things have to happen for the game to progress.  That's not to say that there won't be twiddly bits around the linear path - or at least - I hope not.

Growing the baby or child up and advancing could be the next title in the series... what comes after the Medieval period? Is it the Renaissance?  If so, then EA could maybe introduce that next, with titles in the series advancing (Sid Meier's Civilisation in EP format).  It is also like a hark back to The Sims where babies grew up into children but didn't grow any bigger and never moved out.

I do wonder what the game play will be like after every quest has been completed by every character.  But this is all speculation, sorry.

Going back to decisions about which edition to buy, I think I may be going for the cheapest version - as no, they are not all the same price - currently the difference is £6, which seems a lot of money for four outfits and three throne rooms.  I'm sure that I'll regret it, for I so like the look of the dragon throne room, but, oh well.