Author Topic: Does anyone have a lag-free game?  (Read 106821 times)

Offline Aspen

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Does anyone have a lag-free game?
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2013, 08:45:02 AM »
yep np, also oldspook I just let it go unsaid, you should check back with NRAAS after every expansion for mod updates. I just assumed you had the latest version, but I noticed you said you had overwatch on before IP- it might be worth a look over at the site and compare your versions to the latest?  hopefully that works and good luck

Offline oldspook

• Oldspook
  • Llama Wrangler
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2013, 02:41:18 PM »
I have overwatch version 104, which is the latest version. I'm going to check out my cc, maybe start a new game without any cc.
Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.
   --Buddha

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Aspen

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2013, 10:23:09 AM »
I have overwatch version 104, which is the latest version. I'm going to check out my cc, maybe start a new game without any cc.

There's actually an Overwatch 1.5 out and a 1.55 beta. I'd recommend the 1.5 base mod, its what Im using and I cant express the difference it made in my game.
Yes, would definitely install it and try it out on a new game. Delphy's Dashboard is a safe download and a great CC sorter.

Offline oldspook

• Oldspook
  • Llama Wrangler
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2013, 03:33:21 PM »
I've about given up on IP. The lag makes it no fun to play. I've tried almost everything suggested with only minor reduction in lag.

Last night I installed Dragon Valley and was amazed how lag free it is. Everything is smooth including scrolling. This proves to me that the lag in IP is not my computer but Ip itself. I hope EA does something to fix it.
Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.
   --Buddha

Offline Aspen

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2013, 08:43:16 AM »
Well for what its worth, I felt like I did what I wanted to do in IP so last night I decided to move to another town- I have to agree with you on IP having issues, as I played in the town town for the rest of the night with 0 problems. Which didnt bother me at all, as I was starting to miss the other seasons and weather effects

Offline shibamistress

• Townie
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2013, 01:28:01 PM »
When I first installed IP I was having a lot of general glitches not just lag, I decided to do a reinstall as it had been some time since the last one, I also altered my settings after reading some people say that it played better on higher settings so I maxed everything then later tweaked it slightly to bring down maximum lots loaded to 4 and trees and visual effects to medium.

It played like a dream for the first few weeks, took me about ten weeks to finish the Grand Explorer lifetime wish and up until I took over Hobart's it was great, as soon as I got that resort my game would not just lag it would lock up entirely forcing me to use task manager to close the game, after I bought it I sold almost everything then went into edit town and bulldozed the lot to empty it completely, I regularly checked for spawners in case it was those but it wasn't, in the end I found the only way I could get that last island was to just leave it to run itself after I'd done most of the building and never to look at it unpaused as if I did it would lock up again  ::)

As soon as I got the island I sold the resort, and had no more problems, I also upped my graphic settings in my dynasty file when I went back to it and that is playing smoother too, I guess it's natural to think lowering them would help especially as the tooltips say higher settings might affect rendering performance but ironically for me raising them has made it better  ???

I had pets turned off in IP and the fact the islands have no strays is a good thing I feel, one issue I found with stuck sims was showtime performers, they didn't pick good spots to perform for tips half the time causing routing errors with people trying to watch them, I wish we could turn those off too or that they only spawned if you added a venue.

I just started playing IP, and this sounds a lot like what is happening to me.  I'm trying to get my Sims to run a 5 star resort, using Hobarts, and they're at 4 stars now, but it's driving me crazy, because it freezes all the time and I have to use task manager to restart the game.  It's worse if I actually have my Sims visit Hobarts, so I've started not having them on the premises, but it still freezes.  I think when I'm done with getting them their 5 star resort, and unlock the island, I'll sell Hobarts and see if that improves the problem.  The difference for me, though, is it never played smoothly--it's been freezing every time I play.  :(

I do have overwatch too, but when I had it in there with my other mods, it seemed to freeze even worse, so I took it out for now. 

I don't have lag per se, but the freezing problem is pretty bad.

Offline Angélique

• Townie
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2013, 02:24:57 PM »
I think there's something very wrong with Hobarts, (and maybe the whole resort-owning feature?) but unfortunately I have no idea what it is, and if there's anything you could do about it. Look here for more on this issue. Especially reply nr 9 and onwards.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline shibamistress

• Townie
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2013, 07:13:28 PM »
I think there's something very wrong with Hobarts, (and maybe the whole resort-owning feature?) but unfortunately I have no idea what it is, and if there's anything you could do about it. Look here for more on this issue. Especially reply nr 9 and onwards.

I think there is too.  I've decided to keep going, because I really want that 5 star, and was surprised to see it went down from 4.5 to 4 star.  Why, I wondered?  Then I noticed my pool bar had just disappeared!  I had saved, and done some other things with my sims, and when I came back I had no pool bar!  :(  Wierd and annoying!

Thanks for the link to the other thread, though, I'll go check it out.   And today playing I only had 2 freezes, so....I suppose that's better than it has been.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2013, 03:08:17 AM »
Maybe even uninstall it and write a nasty letter to EA requesting my money back.

I have to say that your game lagging when you play in Isla Paradiso is not the fault of EA.  The game and expansion are fine and there's nothing to "fix".  Sims 3 overall is a resource draining game and there are endless reasons why you are experiencing lag.  The game requires regular maintenance.  That's just the way it is.  Also, please keep in mind that our Forum Rules state that we don't allow EA bashing, so please be careful about saying things like this.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline shibamistress

• Townie
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2013, 12:18:23 AM »
Just thought I'd note, in case others had the same problem, that once I bulldozed Hobarts, my game has been working much more smoothly.  I still have some slight wierdness in my new resort (in a different location), esp. with the pool bar as I noted above, but it does seem Hobarts itself is problematic. 

Offline Atticus

• .ʞǝɔuɐɯnɹ γ×ίи →
  • Llama Wrangler
    • NIXYorg
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2013, 11:22:52 AM »
× Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP 1
× AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1035T processor (2.61GHz)
× 4gb RAM (will upgrade to 8 soon)
× Radeon HD 5670 (graphics)

The only lag I get is when I'm running HQ mod for awhile, or even playing the University world. Otherwise, my in-game graphics settings are medium-high for screenshots I post to my Simblr, and even running Razer's Gamebooster, there's still some lag. I haven't tried IP yet, but I reckon it will be like University's world where there is going to be camera lag no matter what.

Everything runs smoothly and I know it's not a graphics issue or an overheating issue. The game will just lag sometimes while things catch up, no matter how powerful the processor.

Extra mods (especially if you're running ALL of the NRAAS mods) means there are a lot more things happening in your game. Sure, they clean up a lot and story progression is fun but a lot of the times you'll notice lag in-game will correspond when these mods are doing their clean up ;)

Lag will happen, it's just a part of the Simming experience! :D

Offline Melusane

• Nooboo
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2013, 01:49:07 PM »
Thank you MeestorMark for your tips,

I moved all the sims living on houseboats, deleted those houses, got rid of the Scott family and removed the fences in the resort swimming pool. This was enough (with Overwatch installed) to make my game playable though not really smooth but I can bear it.
And yes, I dont keep much stuff in my sim's inventory.

I am glad now that I can play on this beautiful map :).

Offline trickai

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2013, 10:41:49 AM »
Oldspook, here are the things that I did that helped with the lagging the most for me in the town of Isla Paradiso. They make IP playable for stretches, but eventually that little stuttering gets under my nerves. Lol.

4. Overwatch mod from Twallan. It resets stuck sims and cleans up a lot of other "file junk" that tends to accumulate. But I have had to have it running since the Late Night EP.

5. Register mod, also from Twallan. I use it to completely turn off all the stray animals, wild animals etc. This world seems to have a lot of pathing bugs, and places for sims to get stuck. Being able to turn off 20 or so animal sims that always kinda bugged me in the game anyway eases the number that can potentially get stuck.

6. In edit town, I kicked all the townies out of their houseboats, moved them into other empty houses, and then got rid of the houseboats as well except for those that my active household owns. This one cut down on a lot of the lag/stuttering.

7. I cleaned up a lot of the lots that were built with bad pathing practices. Like a section in the Spanish styled resort's pool. There is a fenced in area in the middle of the pool, but still had something inside that fence that NPCs like to "view". The game in this situation, has probably thousands of potential tries to get to the object inside with routes over the pool, but the fence negates the path each time. Yet the game's pathing engine is going to run through all the options every time an NPC thinks he needs to check out that object. Another situation in houses, were circular stairs with walls placed in ways that often make them unusable. I replaced these with ladders most times or moved the blocking walls/objects. The castle looking house, where the Ichtaca family lives, had a number of situations. Once I cleaned them up, Overwatch stopped telling me they were resetting one of the family members ten times a day or so. Another area was objects in closed in areas that were only accessible by the garage door style of doors. These don't auto-open for sims, and for some reason NPCs can't open them in their pathing either, so again the game potentially has to try to figure out all the potential options before it gives up. I noticed this mostly in the modern resort lot. The VIP rooms have little outdoor deck areas that are not accessible any other way.

8. I got rid of the Scott family. Several people on the TS3 forums have said they were saved in the town in the middle of an activity and that object isn't there anymore. Or something like that. Those with the Error Trap mod, say it goes nuts over this family. So they had to go from my game.

For a few people on the EA forums and others that I read, one of the above steps completely cured their lag, so they might be worth checking out. Isla Paradiso really is a beautiful EA world.

For me doing the above items (I simply deleted the ones that didn't apply or I didn't do) turned IP into a playing paradise. 

Overwatch is a must have mod.  If you have no other mods you should still be running this.

Register is new to me.  I always just turned off pets in the options, but being able to completely turn off all strays, just doing this cut my lag down to a third of what it was prior.  Says to me that a lot of the lag is the spawning wildlife.

I was surprised as well that moving the townies out of houseboats cut down on the lag.  It's unfortunate I suppose but really as long as my sims can be in a boat I don't really care all that much about the others.  I might not do this step though next time I play, just to keep the flavor of the town going.  As I said, using register alone cut down dramatically on the lag.

The fenced in pool was a definite problem and an easy fix...thanks for spotting that.
The stairs and the Ichtaca family catches were also great and easy fixes. edit: nope still had problems after all, ended up deleting the house and putting a new house in there and it is fine now
Removed all the garage style doors when I found them.  No noticeable improvement but possibly because it was only a small problem and I had already fixed the bigger problems from before.   edit: wasn't garage doors I removed after all, was something called zebra doors...not the ones you mentioned I don't think, so I went through and changed all doors on all VIP rooms.

Deleted the Scott family and again, a very noticeable improvement.  Something definitely seemed wrong with them.

Thanks so much for this info, using just the steps above has given me a nearly lag free experience in IP.  Basically the only lag now is at 3am when overwatch does a brief clean up, and even then I almost never notice it the lag is so short.

Offline trickai

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2013, 07:56:17 PM »
I have to say that your game lagging when you play in Isla Paradiso is not the fault of EA.  The game and expansion are fine and there's nothing to "fix".  Sims 3 overall is a resource draining game and there are endless reasons why you are experiencing lag.  The game requires regular maintenance.  That's just the way it is.  Also, please keep in mind that our Forum Rules state that we don't allow EA bashing, so please be careful about saying things like this.

I'm sorry but this is just not a true statement.  All games end up having problems.  There is a difference between saying that there is a problem with an expansion and bashing, and most people responding in the thread are not bashing but merely trying to help out others.  The plain fact is that every world or neighbourhood released HAS had problems.  Routing problems, stairs that are placed incorrectly and so can't be used, doors placed wrong and won't open, appliances placed wrong so they can't be accessed.  To deny that the game and expansions have problems is just ridiculous.  So yes there ARE things that need to be "fixed" and they are being shared in the forum.  The proof that there is something wrong is that these fixes actually work.

So yes the game is resource draining and it definitely needs regular maintenance.  But it also has problems, as all games do.  Luckily they can often be fixed by the players fairly easily or with mods. 

Offline thesimslover828

• Playing The Sims 3 again, WooHoo!!!
  • Immortal
  • Death To The Visitors, V Is For Victory
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2013, 11:33:05 PM »
I'm sorry but this is just not a true statement.  All games end up having problems.  There is a difference between saying that there is a problem with an expansion and bashing, and most people responding in the thread are not bashing but merely trying to help out others.  The plain fact is that every world or neighbourhood released HAS had problems.  Routing problems, stairs that are placed incorrectly and so can't be used, doors placed wrong and won't open, appliances placed wrong so they can't be accessed.  To deny that the game and expansions have problems is just ridiculous.  So yes there ARE things that need to be "fixed" and they are being shared in the forum.  The proof that there is something wrong is that these fixes actually work.

So yes the game is resource draining and it definitely needs regular maintenance.  But it also has problems, as all games do.  Luckily they can often be fixed by the players fairly easily or with mods.
The statement Pam was referring to, was saying that they where going to demand their money back and write a nasty letter to EA. I think everyone has had lag, bugs and/or glitches. But they aren't necessary EA's fault. Sometimes some worlds work better then others. Bridgeport is a huge city. but I've never had problems with it. While alot of people do have problems. But as the Forum Rules state bashing EA is against the rules. In fact EA has many ways to get in contact with them to solve problems.
We are of peace, always but this is war.
We are of peace, always.
We'll help build a resistance. We have to fight.

When all you've ever loved has been stolen from you, sometimes all you have left is revenge.
For the truly wronged, satisfaction can be found in one of two places,  absolute forgiveness or mortal vindication. This is not a story about forgiveness. When deception cuts this deep, someone has to pay.