Author Topic: Computer restarts while playing  (Read 5171 times)

Offline abnegationsimmer

• Nooboo
Computer restarts while playing
« on: July 06, 2013, 02:15:36 AM »
Hi.

Let me tell you what's wrong.
I just installed The Sims 3 on the computer a few weeks ago. It worked fine.
I installed Pets, Seasons and Island Paradise just recently.
It went alright but whenever I create a household with more than one sim in it, and buy a house on a large lot, after a few minutes, the computer restarts. It said something about the graphics driver crashing.

I've checked the system compatibility and the computer is above the minimum requirements to tun the game (it was on full which says fast)

Please help ASAP! Thanks!

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Computer restarts while playing
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 02:40:35 AM »
Hi there abnegationsimmer, welcome to the forum. :)

Have you tried updating your graphics drivers? I don't know if you're on a Windows or a Mac, though.

On Windows, it's done through Device Manager, which is in your Control Panel (in Windows 7, it's at Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers). It's fairly easy to update, and there's plenty of tutorials on the internet if you feel a bit lost. :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline abnegationsimmer

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 03:06:30 AM »
Hi there abnegationsimmer, welcome to the forum. :)

Have you tried updating your graphics drivers? I don't know if you're on a Windows or a Mac, though.

On Windows, it's done through Device Manager, which is in your Control Panel (in Windows 7, it's at Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers). It's fairly easy to update, and there's plenty of tutorials on the internet if you feel a bit lost. :)

I'm on Windows 7 Home Basic.
The Graphics Drivers is already updated to the latest version (Intel HD Graphics)

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 06:16:47 AM »
Ok then, how does the restart happen? Is it the equivalent of doing a restart yourself, or do you see a screen like this when it happens:

(Image from kaspersky.com - I got it from Google Images)

Do you have any Mods or CC?

Also, could you check to see if you have any crash files in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3? I don't have any at the moment so I couldn't tell you what they're called, but they end in .xcpt. :)

Offline abnegationsimmer

• Nooboo
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 07:37:52 AM »
Ok then, how does the restart happen? Is it the equivalent of doing a restart yourself, or do you see a screen like this when it happens:

(Image from kaspersky.com - I got it from Google Images)

Do you have any Mods or CC?

Also, could you check to see if you have any crash files in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3? I don't have any at the moment so I couldn't tell you what they're called, but they end in .xcpt. :)

No, the screen goes white and then black an then all over again. and then the computer just restart.

and yes I have mods and CCs, but I tested the game without them and it still crashed.

And I just checked in the folder and I didn't find any crash files :/

brappl

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 09:30:30 AM »
Check your processes to see if anything unusual is running over and over again, like some kind of update that would not complete and required a restart every time or something like that.  That happened to me. 

These crashes can also happen if you are overheating.  If you are on a laptop and overheating a cooling fan will help that.
If you are using a tower you could have a lot of dust inside.  My two fans were loaded with dust at one point and therefore not functioning properly so my graphics card was also very dusty.   I did some cleaning inside the tower and it fixed the problem. 

Offline abnegationsimmer

• Nooboo
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 04:28:43 AM »
Check your processes to see if anything unusual is running over and over again, like some kind of update that would not complete and required a restart every time or something like that.  That happened to me. 

These crashes can also happen if you are overheating.  If you are on a laptop and overheating a cooling fan will help that.
If you are using a tower you could have a lot of dust inside.  My two fans were loaded with dust at one point and therefore not functioning properly so my graphics card was also very dusty.   I did some cleaning inside the tower and it fixed the problem. 

I checked and there is no updates or anything. and it only happens when the household consists of more than one sim and if the house is on a large lot
and it also happens when my sim goes to a resort..  :(

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Snooty

• Nooboo
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 07:13:12 AM »
Could be a memory problem. Intel grahpics isn't the best for games.
Perhaps the following link may be of help: http://www.pvladov.com/2013/01/improve-intel-hd-graphics-performance.html

brappl

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 10:36:36 AM »
I checked and there is no updates or anything. and it only happens when the household consists of more than one sim and if the house is on a large lot
and it also happens when my sim goes to a resort..  :(

I don't think I asked, have you tried playing the same lot in a different world?

I have one last suggestion.  Install a couple of Twallan's mods.  They are awesome and compatible with 1.55.  His mods have been resolving issues for Simmers for a long time with much success.  The Mods I suggest are pure scripting mods so they won't blow up you game.  My suggestion is to Back up your game. Remove any other mods you have from your game file.   Install Twallan's Master Controller.  Go into your game and click on City Hall.  Click on NRAAS Master Controller, All, Town, Reset.  This will clean up objects and fixes routing problems that could be causing crashes.

Just as an FYI, I use:  Overwatch which routinely resets and cleans broken items within the game
                                 Master Controller - Does much more than resets - check it out!,
                                 Debug Enabler - many options including Visa Points, Sim Settings, Aging
                                 Saves - Automatic Saving set at what ever time interval you wish

Here is the Link to NRAAS Industries where Twallan lives: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/.   All Mods are identified on the left and there is also, like Carl's,  a good forum which might be able help if you can not resolve here.  There are full instructions and other information for all Mods and Game Play.

I hope this works for you.  I really can't think of anything else.  Where this is happening in a specific situation it would seem something in your current world is broken.

Another thing just came to mind.  Check out MrsFlynn's thread for a factory reset here:   
          http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,16824.0/topicseen.html

Offline abnegationsimmer

• Nooboo
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 01:24:40 AM »
I don't think I asked, have you tried playing the same lot in a different world?

I have one last suggestion.  Install a couple of Twallan's mods.  They are awesome and compatible with 1.55.  His mods have been resolving issues for Simmers for a long time with much success.  The Mods I suggest are pure scripting mods so they won't blow up you game.  My suggestion is to Back up your game. Remove any other mods you have from your game file.   Install Twallan's Master Controller.  Go into your game and click on City Hall.  Click on NRAAS Master Controller, All, Town, Reset.  This will clean up objects and fixes routing problems that could be causing crashes.

Just as an FYI, I use:  Overwatch which routinely resets and cleans broken items within the game
                                 Master Controller - Does much more than resets - check it out!,
                                 Debug Enabler - many options including Visa Points, Sim Settings, Aging
                                 Saves - Automatic Saving set at what ever time interval you wish

Here is the Link to NRAAS Industries where Twallan lives: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/.   All Mods are identified on the left and there is also, like Carl's,  a good forum which might be able help if you can not resolve here.  There are full instructions and other information for all Mods and Game Play.

I hope this works for you.  I really can't think of anything else.  Where this is happening in a specific situation it would seem something in your current world is broken.

Another thing just came to mind.  Check out MrsFlynn's thread for a factory reset here:   
          http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,16824.0/topicseen.html

Thing is, I used to use their mods but it really lags my game.. so yea..

It only crashes when I make the family on CAS and play with them. But I can just add them in game and it's alright. I guess I can just play that way. Thanks for the help! :)