Author Topic: Alchemy self employed career not available  (Read 10010 times)

Offline Janna

• Watcher
Alchemy self employed career not available
« on: August 01, 2013, 07:17:04 PM »
Since I have installed IP I have not been able to have a sim apply for the alchemy self employed career.  It just doesn't show up.  The one for lifeguard shows up, but not alchemy.

Is anyone else having this happen?

It doesn't affect how my sims can play the game, in doing alchemy, just in being able to list it as a career.

Offline Unknown

• Nooboo
Re: Alchemy self employed career not available
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 10:15:09 PM »
Isn't it possible to click on the computer or the city hall to register? I think you also need at keast one skill point to register

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 11:06:44 PM »
I have tried the different ways, and all of my sims have had at least a level 5 when I went to apply for the career.  I tried with old games, with new games and none of them can sign up for alchemy as a self-employed career.   

Offline rodeo199

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 06:41:15 AM »
Do you have ambitions? Because i'm pretty sure in one of the patches they removed the ability to be a self-employed alchemist if you don't have it. If it's not that then i have no idea.

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 08:49:00 AM »
I don't have ambitions and that is the first I have heard that it affected alchemy in self-employment.  But I don't read all of the posts here, and could have easily missed it being mentioned.  I think I am one of the few members of the forum that doesn't seem to have ambitions and generations, so that could be why I haven't noticed any discussion of it.  I didn't find anything when I did a search but I could have missed it. 

Those two expansion packs have never appealed to me.  I'm not planning on getting either one, especially just to get the career of alchemy back.  It isn't that important to me, more of an aggravation of not knowing why it isn't showing up than of it not being there.

As long as I can get the LTR for fulfilling the wish, that is all that I care about; just couldn't figure out why it wasn't there.

Offline Tigerskin

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 11:58:50 AM »
Janna, have you put an elixir consignment shop in your world?

Not sure whether that would affect the self employed career but I remember once I couldn't figure out why my sim couldn't have the actor career .... Turns out *drum roll please* I'd forgotten to place the acting studio down. Duh!

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 12:49:32 PM »
Yes, I put the elixir store in every town as soon as I start a game.  This happens even in MF.  I guess it is just going to be one of those problems that I won't find an answer as to why.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Tigerskin

• Occult
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 02:30:24 PM »
I've just read a very similar post titled "Self-employment".

It mentions the patch for IP changed whether you can be self employed or not (i.e. you can't if you don't have ambitions...)

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 02:53:13 PM »
obviously, must have missed that one.  Weird that I can be self-employed as lifeguard, but not alchemy, but then, lifeguard is part of IP, so I guess that explains it.

Thanks for the help

Offline JodySuzanne1305

• Occult
Alchemy self employed career not available
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 07:00:05 PM »
Is this still he case? You must have ambitions to register as a self employed alchemist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 07:37:22 PM »
You have to have ambitions in order to register as a Self-Employed career (one that you get from City Hall).
Secondly, you have to have at least one level of skill in the Alchemy skill to register for it.

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 07:18:16 AM »
Except for Life Guard.  I don't have ambitions but that shows up as a self-employed career at City Hall. 

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 01:15:34 PM »
Except for Life Guard.  I don't have ambitions but that shows up as a self-employed career at City Hall. 

Lifeguard comes with IP expansion pack, it's a career track and it's not necessarily "Self-Employed." It's similar to the Day Care option you can get if you have Generations. You don't have to have Ambitions to have those careers because they were built separately and not built on skills. If you wanted to be a Self-Employed Writer, FisherSim, Gardener, etc... then you would need Ambitions to actually have a 10-level career in those skills specificially rather than your career tab saying your Sim is Unemployed.
Alchemy as a career can only be unlocked by Ambitions, it's not because it's a career that requires both expansions, but rather it's a skill that can make money and Ambitions unlocks Self-Employment for all Skills that have money-making abilities that don't already have a career for them (like turning Gardening into a career, or Fishing which normally on their own can make your Sim money, but they don't have individual careers keeping a counter of the money). Ambitions just adds a counter for how much money a skill makes you and grants you bonuses at different levels. That's self-employed. If that makes any sense...

Edit* Wow I typed all of that out and realized a much easier way to explain it. There are Rabbit Hole Careers, Professions and Self-Employment. Ambitions is the only EP that can unlock Self-Employed, however, it also had a few Professions introduced. Professions are basically any career that you're hands-on with your Sim. They usually have multiple requirements to level but they don't always have to be "the best" as they do for Rabbit holes. Rabbit Holes, obviously, you can see and control very little. Self-Employed are skills that Ambitions built careers around, which is just a big money counter that will grant you levels and bonuses for how much money your sim made with that skill. Life Guard would be a profession, rather than Self Employed, whereas Alchemy is Self Employed. That's why you're able to become a lifeguard without having ambitions.

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 11:38:35 PM »
The thing that irritated me on it was that when SN first came out they had Alchemy as a career, had levels you had to reach, pay scale and all.  But, when either UL or IP came out, it was removed and now you can't sign up for it as a career. 
Playing a game in SN now, and my sim is doing alchemy for a renaissance LTW and she has gotten the opportunity to sign up at the city hall for a career, but that is no longer available. 
 :(

Offline JodySuzanne1305

• Occult
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 10:51:17 AM »
Yeah, you would think that that would be ONE career you could sign up for with SN. I'm still using the consignment shop and making money, tho so I guess that works. :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk