Author Topic: How to find all the reactions to your posts?  (Read 2539 times)

Leto85

How to find all the reactions to your posts?
« on: August 20, 2010, 05:32:22 PM »
I had my doubts about if I should put this topic here in Miscellaneous Help, or in General Discussion. But as you all can see now, I've chosen for the first one because I believe it is something I could use a little help with.

So let's start it. The more members are coming here, the better. That is our all shared opinion I believe and I agree with that. But the downside is: the more members, the more posts and the more topics I have to read through to see if anyone has a question that is a reaction on one of my previous posts.

In the beginning of this forum I could spent just simply two hours to read through everyone's new topics and posts, even if I skipped a day or two. But now I'm afraid that 24 hours in one day are simply not enough to see all what's new and possibly important.

Of course we can click on the 'Show new replies to your posts' so we get a list with all the topics where you have posted to read the possible reactions on those posts. That is a handy thing indeed, but even topics I have posted on months ago also still apear in that list.

So my question is now, can't we have a sort of filter in the near future to filter out the reactions that are more focused on a person in particular? Like a 'Show new replies on topics to me personal'.

I do not have enought technical knowledge to offer more ideas about this in depth, but I do believe this is possible. The filter could search for things like: @Leto85 and can filter out if I have already replied to the post that start with @Leto85.

Let's share some ideas about this. It could help out people, it will certainly help me out.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: How to find al the reactions to your postst?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 07:52:22 PM »
I guess it would depend on the program Carl has for his site.  Myself, I enjoy going through the posts, but that is just me.  I just pick a good time where I know that I have some time and get my coffee and start browsing.  It takes me longer, because I guess being a moderator, I look at things different than before.  Of course, I go on every morning, so the list isn't too bad, but I do understand what you mean when you don't go into the site for a couple of days, but it doesn't take too long to go through them.  I just stay with it.  It is a good idea you have though.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: How to find all the reactions to your posts?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 08:59:05 PM »
As Salty said, it depends on what updates and changes the people who design the software for the forum make.  They've been promising an updated version for quite awhile, but I don't know the current status or whether it will have the kinds of changes you'd like to see.  I've asked Carl to come look at this thread, so maybe he will have something to add.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Leto85

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 12:53:15 PM »
Thanks to you both!

@ Diane: I understand your way of seeing this. But because you are a moderator it is your job to look through things here more deeply than a member has to do. Unless I have misunderstand this of course. :) For me, as a member it lies different. I don't really look through all the topics because of time limit, even though I like doing it, and it is for that last reason I am discussing here some ways that may improve this.

@ Pam: What is the program this site is made with?

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 12:14:41 AM »
@ Pam: What is the program this site is made with?

At the very bottom of this page in tiny print, you see Simple Machines, LLC.  I believe they are the makers of this forum program.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 12:47:08 AM »
Leto, are you aware that you can set your preferences to be notified by email of new replies in specific threads that interest you? That's what I do. When I find an interesting thread, I click the "notify" button at the top of the thread. When I reply to a post, I have it set to automatically update me when more posts are made.
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Leto85

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 08:46:04 AM »
@ LlamaMama. Never done that before! The same counts for Add Poll I see now, and print. Although the last one should be obvious I do not know what Add Poll must mean. Thanks for the advice! So that Notify will give me an email everytime a post is made underneath a specific topic? Sounds a bit like the same function as 'Show new replies to your posts', but than in a mail form.
But, I havent test it out yet, so I will do that right away with this topic.
So unless you all are too mean to not post anymore (which I doubt ;)), I will see a mail example somewhere in time after the next post will be made.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 09:09:48 AM »
Yes you should.  I used it a couple of times, but I like just coming to the forum.  Off to work now.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 09:13:57 AM »
I have the email notification for my own threads so I check them first, so like my Legacy and the Landscaping thread I have, those are the main ones I use email notification for.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Leto85

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 10:11:14 AM »
I see. I've got a notification because Saltypaws posted back here. It is indeed handy.

anything