Author Topic: The Ithaca Legacy - Graveyard Please  (Read 38492 times)

Offline Lovesarts

• Nooboo
Re: The Ithaca Legacy - 4.1. The Babysitter [10/28]
« Reply #165 on: October 28, 2013, 05:43:34 PM »
Whoa. This story has grown since I last checked in!  :D I just got finished reading from when Passie became heir.
You really have a talent for writing!
Looking forward to more....

Offline notjustabook

• Townie
  • I'm Louise but you can just call me Louise
« Reply #166 on: October 29, 2013, 06:27:44 AM »
Whoa. This story has grown since I last checked in!  :D I just got finished reading from when Passie became heir.
You really have a talent for writing!
Looking forward to more....

Wow, that is a long way back. So much has happened since then!
Thank you so much ^_^ I should probably start updating more often if I can find the time...

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #167 on: October 29, 2013, 01:10:49 PM »
Oooo!  Cadence, hm?  I am intrigued!  Especially about this tunnel!

Offline molly4000

• Townie
  • I'm (finally) back!
« Reply #168 on: October 29, 2013, 06:15:59 PM »
The suspense is building :o. I can't wait to see what happens with Cadence!
"May the odds be ever in your favor"-Effie Trinket

Offline Hallucination

• Occult
  • Resident Legacy Addict
« Reply #169 on: October 29, 2013, 06:48:08 PM »
I'm dying to know what happened with Esther.
I'm not pedantic! I just believe in precision of language.

Green Witch Legacy

Offline kaseofhearts

• Immortal
« Reply #170 on: November 06, 2013, 10:08:07 PM »
This is still so good. I love this story. I still come back to this site basically to see if you've updated this.

Offline notjustabook

• Townie
« Reply #171 on: November 07, 2013, 12:29:49 PM »
Oooo!  Cadence, hm?  I am intrigued!  Especially about this tunnel!

The suspense is building :o. I can't wait to see what happens with Cadence!

I'm dying to know what happened with Esther.

This is still so good. I love this story. I still come back to this site basically to see if you've updated this.

Ahhh, thanks everyone! I'm so slow with updates lately. Not that keen on playing lately but I'm not going to abandon this, I swear! I really hope I'll have more time and energy for this once I'm done with my bachelor and NaNoWriMo. Thank you all so much for sticking with the story even though I'm rubbish with updates :')

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline notjustabook

• Townie
« Reply #172 on: November 25, 2013, 11:46:25 AM »
4.2. The Traveller
(Cadence)

I had been staring out the window for some time, pondering everything and nothing all at once and that’s when the sound of the door opening startled me.

“Oh, sorry, I scared you.”
The man of the house was home. Strangely not at all sunburnt despite having spent time in Egypt. If that was what he’d done. I never knew with the Ithacas, even if I felt much more comfortable here after some months.
“It’s okay. Welcome home.”
“Thank you. I- What happened to your hair?”
“It… grew out. As hair does.”
“Oh… that… makes sense.”

“Well, I’d better…”
“Wait.”
He turned as I spoke and looked at me. “Yeah?”
“Look, I’ve been thinking of this for a while. A long while, actually. Iphigenia’s mother. Where’s she?”
A smile played on his lips. “I think everyone will tell you that I locked her in the basement because I’m a horrifying monster.”
“Ah. You… know the rumours. I mean…” Okay, I’d thrown myself into this, so I guess I had to just push on. “I don’t think everyone would say you locked her in the basement that’s… I mean, that’s the rumour they like where I’m from, but downtown they… uh…” He had a funny look on his face now. “Downtown they prefer to think you killed her and buried her in the garden.”
He burst out laughing and I backed away, sure he was going to skin me alive, but he just smiled. “I don’t know whether to be proud or disturbed that there are regional differences. We sure caused a ruckus, Esther and I.”
Then he looked sad, even while smiling.
“Truth is, it wasn’t quite so dramatic with us. Esther and me.”

“I tried to get it to work, even in our teens. She was a nice girl,” he said. “Unfortunately for her, I’m kind of a jerk. I tried to stick it out, year after year, even when I, at best, felt like she was a nice girl. I wasn’t attracted to her, I wasn’t in love with her. There were days when I hardly liked her, I’m ashamed to say.”
“But you stayed together?”
“I’d broken up her and her boyfriend – remember the jerk part? Yeah, that’s what I mean. I broke them up just because… Because I could, I guess. Because I couldn’t have the one I really liked and Esther was as good as any.” He laughed a dark, bitter laugh. “Do you feel like punching me right now?”
“Not really.”
I’ve never been one for violence but even if I had, it would have been like kicking a guy already lying down. He looked utterly miserable; but maybe he’d wanted to tell someone because he kept going like he couldn’t stop.

“I don’t think she knew at first. Esther isn’t dumb, don’t be fooled, but when she gives her heart to someone, she does it completely and I didn’t deserve it. Didn’t really want it, either. I went away, to Egypt, of course, and she became more and more bothered by that. Became more bitter until we started arguing over it.
“She wasn’t always the one to start the fights, either. We became real good at finding a reason to argue about the smallest little things. The big fight, the one where I knew she broke, that was when I told her I didn’t want to marry. We had a daughter and I’d never even considered marrying Esther. I think that’s when she snapped.”

“She started talking to someone else. The guy who cleaned for us at the time… And then she left.”
“She left you?” I asked. This certainly was a lot less dramatic than those rumours.
“Packed her backs, grabbed the cleaner and moved out. Left the both of us, me and Iphigenia.”

“I would have thought she’d bring her daughter,” I said.
“She didn’t want to. She said she wanted a clean slate and well…” He let out a deep sigh. “I don’t know what I would have done with myself if she’d taken her, honestly. She’s the only thing I haven’t messed up.”
“I’m sure that’s not true.”
He smiled, the crazy Ithaca from the hill. “Well, at least no one’s locked in our basement. That’s a plus.”
“Definitely.”
I smiled and so did he, when suddenly something lit in his eyes.
“Cadence?”
“… Yes?”
“You’re… skinny, aren’t you?”
“I guess I am… but don’t ask for my weight. I’ve heard that would be rude.”

But it was like he didn’t listen, because he went up to me with a big smile on his face. “Will you do me a favour?”
I shrugged, but I wasn’t so sure he wasn’t a crazy man who lived on a hill. “Let me hear what it is first. And no basements!”
He smirked. “No basements. Well, unless musty old tombs count.” Not sure I liked where this was going. “Will you come with me to Egypt?”
“Come with you to where?” I said, even though I had heard him perfectly.
“Egypt. Wait, first… You can swim, right?”
“Swim?!”
“I swear, it’s nothing weird. Well, a little… Can you swim… Dive? How long can you hold your breath?”
“… Hold on, hold on. Yes, I can swim.” He nodded and smiled. “I’m a fairly good swimmer and I can dive. And I’d love to go to Egypt, but it sounds awfully expensive.”
“Oh, don’t worry about that too much.” He shrugged. “I’ll pay. And I’ll pay you extra.”
I opened my mouth to say no way. That he was still a crazy man and I’d worked for him some months and I adored the child but there was no way I’d follow him to Egypt and do whatever it was he wanted me to do. But then there was something trustworthy about him.
If I’d had friends, they would have all warned me away. ‘He’s going to drown you! He’ll leave you for dead in a pyramid!’
I said yes.

And we were off already two days later. He was practically giddy, a mood I’d never experienced him in.
“You’ll love it,” he assured me. “The city’s great, oh, and the tomb we’re going in is one of the biggest there is. It’s legendary. Almost had my head chopped off by a huge axe there once.” Then he giggled like a boy.
“You know, you’re not making a very good job of not being the crazy guy on the hill,” I said, and he chuckled.
“Well, why would I?”

It was like he was a different person in Egypt. He was always a bit moody and mysterious at home – frankly I’d assumed that was just who he was, but as soon as we were there, he kept prattling on about the country, the tombs, his home in Egypt.
And, I had to admit to myself, the house he had there was absolutely gorgeous.

“This is incredible,” I said.
And he smiled a smile so cocky, I couldn’t help but laugh. “Not so bad what the crazy guy on the hill can do, huh?”
“Crazy guy with his own oasis,” I said. “I think I can forgive you.”
“I’m glad you say so. That’s why we didn’t go to the tomb first…”

“… but I think it’s time we went.”

[Author's note: Look! I am alive. I wrote a thing. I wrote two things actually, but here's one. I'm so out of practise with writing these oh gosh. I'm really sorry - this is far from fantastic.]

Offline Hallucination

• Occult
  • Resident Legacy Addict
Re: The Ithaca Legacy - 4.2. The Traveller [10/28]
« Reply #173 on: November 25, 2013, 07:03:57 PM »
To quote my nephew: MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE!

Green Witch Legacy

Offline Dextra2

• Ruler-of-All-She-Sees-And Has A Really Big Ego.
  • Immortal
  • You can call me Dex!
« Reply #174 on: November 27, 2013, 03:05:27 AM »
Okay, I love you Egypt vacation home (I've wanted that for one couple, but never got my VISA points high enough before they had kids...).
If a cluttered desk is an indication of a clutter mind, what is indicated by an empty desk?
~~~
That one moment when you realize you've been stalking the same thread for ten minutes... And there no reason why because you're up to date on everything.
~~~
Crossing the Rubicon

The Dark Fae's Quest

Offline notjustabook

• Townie
« Reply #175 on: November 27, 2013, 05:36:08 PM »
4.3. The Explorer
(Orestes)

“Cozy place,” Cadence said, inspecting the tomb romb we first entered.
The place was, as I remembered, humid and cool, but decorated nicely. As she looked around, she had the look of someone who had never set foot in a place like this before, but then most people had, and I’d learnt to recognise that look she had in her eyes: a mixture of awe and fear.
“Right, so… What are we doing?” she asked.
“If you’re sure you’re up for it, you’re going for a little swim.”
“I’m sure. You gave me this trip and all.”

She still looked less sure than was comfortable, and when we stood by the well, she really started looking pale. I hoped it was only the lighting in the tomb.
“So you want me to go down there.”
“There’s a tunnel at the bottom, if you go down and go right, it’s there.”

“If I’m not mistaken it should lead to another room. Behind this wall. There has to be something in there.”
“That’s… a bit vague. What am I looking for.”
She had me a bit stumped with that question. I didn’t really know. “Anything that looks… important.”
“Right.”
Then I shook my head. “No, no, that’s dumb. Look, there’s a woman, a dangerous, insane woman, and she’s looking for something in one of the tombs of Egypt. I don’t know what it is she’s after, but she’s been really eager to find it. Whatever it is, I need to find it. If you can just go through there and find a door so I can have a look myself, that should do.”
She looked doubtful.

“I promise, you’ll be safe,” I said. “If you can’t find it, if there’s anything wrong at all, come straight back up and we’ll forget all about it. Okay?”
She nodded and I didn’t let go. I couldn’t make another mistake. This was so important but I didn’t want to sacrifice her for the sake of finding out what Minerva was up to.
“Are you sure you want to do it?”
“I’ll do it.”
“Okay, look. I’m going to stay here and I’ll listen for you. If I haven’t hear anything for a while, I’ll get help.”

“I can handle it,” she said.
She climbed on top of the well, and before she dove in, she turned around and gave me a smile. I saw the bubbles as she went down and I stood staring with bated breath until her head broke back through the surface.

“It’s so cold!” she gasped. “And it’s dark down there.”
“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have…”
“No, I’m still doing it.” She wiped the water from her face. “I know where it is now, I can get through.”
“But maybe-“
She was back down again and I started pacing by the well, getting more and more nervous as the seconds passed. What took her so long? It had been fifteen minutes and then I couldn’t stand around anymore.

I ran out of there, my mind on rescue teams and hospitals and Cadence trapped in darkness when-

“Orestes? Is that you?”
I stopped, my heart pounding and the door right near the exit started moving.
“Cadence!”
“Yes, give me a hand with this – it’s really heavy.”
Her head could just be seen through the crack and I quickly dragged it open and pulled her out, into an embrace.

“Wow, what…?”
“You’re okay!”
“I… Yeah, I am. I was just-“
“You’re sure you’re fine, right? You look a little pale? Were you scared? Did anything happen in there? I never should have-“
“Orestes, for goodness sake. I’m okay!” She laughed. “Gosh, you’re just like my dad. I thought you’d be less interested in me and more interested in what I found!”
It was like that hadn’t even registered. “Uh… I… What?”
“You’re going to love this.”

“An elixir.”
I stared at the green, lightly smoking contents of the bottle, and wondered what this particular one was.
“Which elixir?” she asked.
“I have no idea. That’s where my mother comes in. She’s an alchemist – she’ll know what it is.”
She had a funny look on her face when I took the elixir and went to pack it in my suitcase.
“Maybe you really are the crazy Ithacas on the hill…”

I went back to the table where she sat, staring out over the oasis. I put a hand on her shoulder.
“Are you okay?”
“Huh? Yes. I was just thinking… My dad would have loved to see this place and… Well, he died two years ago.”
“I’m sorry.”
She shrugged and sighed deeply and told me about her father. He’d found her when she was just a toddler, abandoned at a park without anyone knowing how or why she’d ended up there. There had been no records of her even existing before she was left.
I already knew this, but I didn’t tell her. There were things I had yet to tell her, but not now. She was getting up and walking around the house, her eyes examining the oasis still.
“I don’t regret anything,” she finally said, standing by the railing. “He was the best father I could have asked for. Even though I was basically discarded like trash, I never felt unwanted.”

“That’s one thing we don’t have in common then,” I said.
“You felt unwanted?”
“It wasn’t my parents’ fault. I was always a weird kid, and then…”
“Then what?”
“There was someone who made me feel like I belonged and well, that was kind of a disaster. She wasn’t a friend like I thought she was.”
“Who was she?”
I gulped down on something. “She’s… Not now. I’ll tell you but she… I have to wait.”
I told her that maybe she should get some sleep, and even though she looked at me weird, she did. Meanwhile, I walked around the deck, kicking sand and pebbles into the water.
“You’re a coward, Orestes,” I whispered to myself. “She has to know some day, and you might as well be the one to say it.”
But then I looked over at her. She was sleeping on the bed, so peaceful, and I couldn’t bring myself to say it. Not now. It was like I wanted the right time and this wasn’t it.
But then… would there ever be a right time to tell her something like that?

Author's note: Look, two updates in less than a week. Isn't it grand? Ugh, I'm so out of practise with writing these things! Need to get into shape!

Offline Hallucination

• Occult
  • Resident Legacy Addict
Re: The Ithaca Legacy - 4.3. The Explorer [10/28]
« Reply #176 on: November 27, 2013, 07:03:40 PM »
I'm going to go recruit my nephews and get them to puppy-dog eye you into updating this.

Green Witch Legacy

Offline notjustabook

• Townie
Re: The Ithaca Legacy - 4.3. The Explorer [10/28]
« Reply #177 on: December 27, 2013, 01:45:05 PM »
So, I've decided that I'm going to stop posting this.
This does not mean I'm not going to do more of the story.
I'm currently uploading this to another forum and I've decided that uploading on both is a bit much. I've neglected this place and decided it's probably better to take a bow and say hi for now. Who knows. I might come back.

If you want to read in at the other forum, you can send me a PM as I'm not allowed to post the link here. The story currently isn't up to date on the other forum, but it will be and by then I'll hopefully have some more story to add.

See you guys!

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: The Ithaca Legacy - Graveyard Please
« Reply #178 on: December 27, 2013, 09:26:59 PM »
I'm moving this to the Stories Graveyard as requested by the author. It may be revived at any time by contacting a Moderator.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

anything