Author Topic: Blood of the Mayfair: Chapter 32- Hail Rain or Sunshine  (Read 35083 times)

Offline cainspath

• Fluffy is my hair's first name.
  • Townie
  • Occasionally bipolar; always multipolar.
Re: Blood of the Mayfair: Chapter 19- Say You Like Me
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2014, 02:35:32 AM »
I wish my heart was always on her mind.
'Cause she's on mine like all day, all the time.
Forget me not, forget me now.
I’ve come too far to turn around.
I’m here tonight.

Say You Like Me
We The Kings to the Queen.

Azrael thought about what Theo told him that day. I can't sleep tonight. He tumbled and turned and shifted beneath the cold sheets. The chill of the A/C crawled on his spine. He lay on his back. He went to think about other things. That thing on her neck. Another M, find the mark. Grandfather. He sighed. But that's not possible. He considered it. The links and webs of mysteries were tangled, intricate. He thinks that unlocking one mystery will answer it all. He thought about the Mayfairs and the death of Zarall, his grandfather's experience with the Reaper. But Palmira, Palmira is weird but normal. His grandfather researched about Zarall, so much time he'd dedicated to researching the order. But why would grandfather? Why not? Zarall was the greatest wizard of all his centuries of life. That can't be all. Azrael and his tendency to overthink. They could be still running amok, killing people. But he doesn't know that, he doesn't know what the order's purpose is or what it's doing and who their victims are.

He wanted to go out for some air, without forgetting to fix his bed.

But he saw the masked man outside, talking to someone. He changed his mind and shut himself in his room.
This guy always makes phone calls to someone in the middle of the night.

Zarall married a Mayfair, or so Nan told me. Grandfather married Granny, also a Mayfair. Dad? He didn't know his mother's name. Enzalde has never told him anything and he never asked. He was happy with the illusion she gave him. I'm no spawn of Mayfair. It was a hateful thought. He hated the Mayfairs because of Enzalde and her betrayal, he lost reason and just started to hate it.

He doesn't even know for sure that his dreams weren't just dreams.

The problem with prom and Palmira came to him. Should I stag? It was understandable if he did. Julie would probably ask him, granted she's gotten over his immaturity and amateur-ity. He fell asleep thinking back and forth between those two biggest problems he was facing now.

When he woke up, he changed back into his regular clothes and started tinkering. He still wasn't comfortable with the islander look, and he needed to get these thoughts out of his mind.

Azrael, thinking to himself, Shall I go for the jock approach? He wasn't a jock, despite that muscle tone. He never exercised his entire, relatively short life. I should probably do homework, it was Sunday, but it was the only thing he recognizes he's good at.

Prom and Palmira were still hounding him. He's reached his saturation point, changed into his new look and called Mike.
Because Tony isn't exactly any better than me.

Azrael rented a bike to school, Mike said he'll meet him on the school yard, when he got there, he immediately started ranting like a kid, and Mike was flabbergasted. He stared at Azrael because he couldn't say anything, until he said what he did.

Mike: You should probably go back to wearing your most comfortable look. The muscles were distracting him. The world is so unfair.
Azrael: You think? I think so, anyway. He made the effort of leaving the house in his islander look for Theo's efforts. Despite him being emotional, he knew how to show gratitude, or whatever it was called.
Mike: Yeah, well I gotta go.
Azrael: But, he hoped Mike could accompany him to help him with the clothes. He was being fussy and paranoid and fussy, okay man. Thanks, I guess.

He went home and saw Miss Hernandez on his way. She looked so much like Palmira, or someone.

He changed out of the clothes. It was tiring and all that, he doesn't seem to feel it yet. He was going to go back to Barney's. And alone.
I gotta do it somehow. But the bike rental agreement stated no bringing the bikes outside mainland. Fine, I'll have to run then. He ran, he ran from the port in his black shirt in the heat of summer.

An Enrico greeted him there, told him he was gonna help him with stuff and Azrael was very specific, being his picky self.

Azrael was hesitant but he was already here.
I just gotta do it.

He didn't tell Azrael that he was a tattoo artist, not a stylist, he even mocked Azrael's bulging belly. The results were disastrous.

He turned to Enrico and was about do something violent despite his nature, but the man looked away.

Moreover, he was way too embarrassed to be going off and attracting more attention.
I'm gonna do this myself.

He didn't know if an open-button looked better than a closed one. Or a gray or a black looked better, though he was comfortable black. What was prom's theme, again? He can't remember, he didn't pay attention because he didn't think it would come to this.

He tried the no coat on. Meh.

I should probably ask Palmira first. I don't even know if she's going with me. He decided on closed-coat and changed into his clothes quickly and headed home. If she was going to reject him, at least he would be almost alone.

Well, not before a little encouragement first. It was putrid and horrible, and that's an understatement. He was going to call this drink Putrescine.

His fingers glided on the screen as he searched his contacts. He pressed and dialled. Every second that she didn't pick up felt a little like hell to him, it was probably his clothes. Then click.

Palmira: Hey, A?
Azrael: Erm. Hey.
Palmira: Why'd you call?
Azrael: I was uh, wondering if. Wait, was this the right way to do it? Wasn't he going to ask her personally? Where had all the things Enzalde taught him go to? The drain.
Palmira; Excuse me, what?
Azrael: Prom.
Palmira: What about it? There was silence. Come on, A. If this is some kind of joke, maybe some other day, I'm busy with decorations for prom. She was part of that too, she sure is active.
Azrael: Prom. He cut himself. Go to prom with me. He heard her laugh, he could even see her shrugging and cupping the air.
Palmira: Well, Hawke, I've something for you to do first.
Azrael: Homework? You're better than this. He laughed awkwardly.
Palmira: Say you like me. Azrael dropped his phone. It was going to need a lot of repairs, and a lot of savings. It fell hard and died. Where did all the money Nan paid for go? That was all to it, he was going to need it repaired.

He went back to Barney's, relieved to see the stylist there, suggested the open-button look.

As for the hair, he still wasn't ready for it to go but she was kind enough to reduce his mane to this:

By the time Azrael heard the scissors cutting through and through, it was too late. His mind was busy in some place- how he still hadn't replied to Palmira.

When he kindly, though already in rage, told the stylist off, she assured him to give him a better look. He wanted to stop whining but,
Hawke, stop it. Stop acting like a girl, it was a rude reference to the way he's  been acting since Enzalde's disappearance, he realized and dropped all his thoughts. His promised better haircut wasn't any better, this was how his grandfather wore his hair.

He had his second walk-out.

But when he stepped out of the ferry, he decided to really do things himself this time. I gotta be responsible for myself, now.

Funny thing about a running Hawke is that it doesn't count as exercise.
At the end of the day, Life should ask you, "Do you want to save changes?"

How the misc-tery continues:
I, Iridessa: 3rd [What happens at home]

Why not try a misc-stery?
Blood of the Mayfair: 32nd [Hail Rain and Sunshine]

or a Reincarnation Project:
Hawke Revival: 26th [Hale Bonding]

Offline cainspath

• Townie
Re: Blood of the Mayfair: Chapter 20- Moving Closer
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2014, 10:00:33 AM »
That wasn't Hernandez, was it? Even now I still keep forgetting her, Monet or something like that? Do correct me if I get the names wrong. Sometimes I just forget them and end up too lazy to reopen the game to check, and when I do I still forget.

Heads up, I was too lazy to set up a non-rabbithole prom, I'm afraid you'll have to do with just the narration.

When you smile, everything's in place
I've waited so long, can make no mistake
All I am reaching out to you
I can't be scared, got to make a move

While we're young, come away with me
Keep me close and don't let go

Inch by inch, we're moving closer
Feels like a fairytale ending
Take my heart, this is the moment
I'm moving closer to you
I'm moving closer to you

Moving Closer
They're Never the Strangers

Azrael couldn't say, "I like you" to Palmira, he felt that it was deeper than that. But they were too young for anything serious, Palmira could have been just teasing too, for all he knows. What he thinks important now is that he was satisfied with his look, it was his old look, but with a different hair and a different sentiment. He recycled his Nana's idea and sense of fashion, he didn't have his own.

Although, he didn't have a say in his hair- he lost the will to fight for it the moment the blade of the scissors touched it.

He didn't want to wear his grandfather's hair but wore Matty's and everyone else's (Vidal's and Greenwood's and those he's never seen and never met) in Paradiso. Ironic.

He'd just get rid of all the kelp extract and wax the stylist maniacally poured on his hair, after prom, if he doesn't decide to suddenly not go. He was still worried if he was going stag, or Palmira agreed to going with him. Azrael headed home for a nap. Prom was tomorrow. He could rest easy until then.

A surprise came the next day. The bus kept honking and he was feeling a little sluggish. He didn't notice immediately but the glint of the car betrayed him.
Nan's van. Who the heck? He didn't hear of any delivery services for something this huge in Paradiso. He went back and checked Enzalde's room. Not here. His fingers clenched to a fist. His heart was beating fast and he could feel an attack coming. Why now? Why now, Nan? He searched around the house, up and down and to and fro. He just wasn't convinced and he didn't feel like going to school. He wasn't going to any prom.

But he has friends who can never leave him alone. He wished he didn't have his phone fixed. Harvey called. Tony called. Palmira called. They all said the same thing- Palmira because she was genuinely worried, Tony because he wanted to troll, and Harvey because he didn't have anyone to copy homework from- about him not going, anyway. And he told them all the same thing,
I'm just gonna be late for class. I forgot some stuff. When Azrael says stuff, nobody questions. It means he wants to be left alone, and that's what Theo didn't know.

Azrael won't be coming to school, he was going to be waiting for Enzalde's return. The masked man was nowhere to be found.

He waited and waited until he dozed off, his phone rang, he ignored it. Then a little later there was honking outside. He went to see what it was.

A limousine.
A limousine! Who called for a limousine? Azrael scratched his head and tried to recall anything that might have transpired with his consciousness only half-awake. There wasn't any. Theo? He could hear Theo's snicker in his head. This is not funny. Not at all. He turned to the mail box. I should just pay the bills and forget all of this.

Palmira won't allow him, like she always does. She sneaked up on him and he got a good scare and a good reason for a jaw drop.

Azrael: You... are beautiful, it was a whisper.
Palmira: Surprised? You still haven't told me you like me, though.
Azrael: Wait, what is this about? It wasn't about prom, it was about this whole "say you like me" affair.
Palmira: And you! What happened to your hair!
She interrupted Azrael even before he could say anything. Before he could say his teeth would have fallen out, she was gorgeous.
Palmira: Oh, you, go get changed. It was high-pitched.
Azrael: But, I'm not going.
Palmira: You! After you asked me to go with you?
Azrael: Wait, you didn't say yes. So I assumed you...
Palmira: I don't care. Go change.
Azrael: Harpy.
Palmira: You, genius, should never forgot I have better grades in literature and language than you, so don't use harpy on me.
Azrael: Alright, alright. No need to go monster on me. You should go get inside, it's raining.
Palmira: No, I'll wait here.
Azrael: But..
Palmira: Your dress! She imitated Azrael. You worrywart, this is the latest technology, it's waterproof.
Azrael: You mean it's plastic?
Palmira: You dare think I would wear that! It's rubber. They both laughed.
Azrael: I just can't win with you, can I? Wait, the thing on your neck..?
Palmira: It's nothing serious. And I had makeup to conceal it.
Azrael: I can't help it. It scarred you.
Palmira: You can stop worrying about everything, you know.
Azrael: I can't help that either. Azrael put on a really happy smile.

It stopped raining and it rained again. Azrael was the rainman; his moods were. But they were too distracted to mind the rain.

Palmira: You! Why are you imitating my color scheme!
Azrael: I'm going as your date, aren't I? He just couldn't say he almost died yesterday and that he had no idea what she was going to wear. He had that smooth-talker streak and he didn't realize it.

He was really Raziel's grandson, and there's probably more to it than just that.

Palmira: I'm hungry.
Azrael: Prom. What happened to "I'm not going?" He was acting like a toddler who only knew one word.
Palmira: Prom. Fine.
Azrael: Yeah, I won! They both did.
Palmira turned to look at the van. Nan. Sorry for what I'm about to do.

Azrael: Don't you think we should go? It's almost seven.
Palmira: Let's.

Palmira walked first, turned to the cab waiting behind the limousine.
Azrael: Wait, why aren't you getting in with me?
Palmira: Dad's orders.
Azrael: What, you don't trust me, Theo? Azrael felt a stab.
Palmira: Nothing funny, A. Don't go around thinking about funny things again.
Azrael: I can't help it. Get in the limo. It was persuasive and urgent.
Palmira: No. A fight?
Azrael: Rats, Palmira. You're more bipolar than I am!
Palmira: Sorry, A.

They won't be walking together.

Azrael: It's like I went stag all along. He muttered to himself.

They spent the night separately, they didn't dance together. They've been catching each other's glances from across the room. Tony noticed it. Harvey was too dejected to attend.

Tony: Dude, aren't you two going to talk?
Azrael: I don't know, she refused to get in the limo with me.
Tony: Are you really her friend and earnest stalker?
Azrael: What about this now?
Tony: Woah, you spent more time together than we did alone and the three of us together.
Azrael: Just say it, Nardi.
Tony: Just 'cause you got a cool last name.
Azrael: I'm not exactly in a good mood, in case you needed a reminder.

As the night got deeper, so did the rain. But there was an even heavier rainfall near the coast. The teenagers in that building heard none of the violent scream of the clouds.

Tony: Your threats don't work on me, Hawke. Anyway, yeah, it didn't, Palmira's like royalty here, she's the only princess of the Teodor Medina.
Azrael: What are you talking about? I'm trying my best not to curse, man.
Tony: Dear, Watcher. Nobody got the time for that. Just know that whatever the reason for her not getting in that limo with you, you've no choice but to respect it.
Azrael: I don't know if I can just accept that.A battalion of question marks attacked his consciousness.
Tony: Nobody got the time. She's a girl. She's his only girl.
Azrael: Stop it!
Tony: What!
Azrael: That language!
Tony: Woah, woah. I'm off, the princess is walking towards here. Tony rushed off. You didn't see me.
Palmira's heard and she shouted, I saw you, Tony. I see you! But the music and the noise drowned her voice into its rhythm.
Palmira: What are you doing?
Azrael: Doing the funny chicken dance.
Palmira: Right, we should go out. The chicken shed all its feathers in an instant.
Azrael: What?
Palmira: Stop pretending like you didn't hear me.
Azrael: Oh, okay.
Palmira: Okay, now we're going out.
Azrael: Slow down, lady. He wanted to say he hasn't said anything, but that might make everything just now null.
Palmira: Let's dance, it's the last song and we haven't at all talked to each other. She grabbed his hand and they wriggled their way to the center, with Palmira leading, amidst the many couples and would-be-couples after this night. They danced, Azrael was an awkward dancer.
Azrael: You...
Palmira: Think we should kiss? He almost fell backward.
Azrael: Crazy girl.
Palmira: I'm more bipolar than you. She giggled.

♫Inch by inch, we're moving closer
Feels like a fairytale ending
Take my heart, this is the moment
I'm moving closer to you
I'm moving closer to you♫

They kissed. It was sweet and it was short. But it was enough to get Azrael into euphoria. They weren't going home together, but he was fine with that.

So long as he could wear that crazy smile.

They were official, and it was crazy. They were both crazy and things were going to be unpredictable.

Somewhere in a different realm, the Lady of the Forest felt his joy dissolve and absorb into her, as his emotions fed through the rain.

Somewhere in Paradiso, someone was going to take home some goods.

I never initiated romantic interactions with Palmira, and I would stop Azrael whenever he would, before prom happened because I didn't know what I was going to do with them then, and when the dialogue box popped out, I got too excited and clicked yes. Call me impulsive. :P

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2014, 01:25:40 PM »
I'm now heavily skeptical of Palmira... I don't think she actually likes him, but rather that she's doing this for someone else (not herself).

Offline cainspath

• Townie
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2014, 09:38:07 PM »
I'm now heavily skeptical of Palmira... I don't think she actually likes him, but rather that she's doing this for someone else (not herself).

Skeptical, hmm. I'd like to hear more about that before I upload the next chapter.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2014, 03:39:48 AM »
Skeptical, hmm. I'd like to hear more about that before I upload the next chapter.
I don't know, the way she acts towards him doesn't seem to be out of any sort of affection (at least, not when it comes to progressing the relationship). It doesn't necessarily seem forced either. She seems to like him, at least as a friend, but it comes off to me that she's following orders moreso than following her heart, at least, that's how it appears. I'm possibly very off. I do feel that she cares for him though, because she apologizes to Nan often for getting closer to him, but when she does get closer to him she seems a little withdrawn and forced about her actions.
I could just be reading far too into it though.

Offline cainspath

• Townie
Re: Blood of the Mayfair: Chapter 21- If You Ever Come Back
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2014, 06:06:07 AM »
I don't know, the way she acts towards him doesn't seem to be out of any sort of affection (at least, not when it comes to progressing the relationship). It doesn't necessarily seem forced either. She seems to like him, at least as a friend, but it comes off to me that she's following orders moreso than following her heart, at least, that's how it appears. I'm possibly very off. I do feel that she cares for him though, because she apologizes to Nan often for getting closer to him, but when she does get closer to him she seems a little withdrawn and forced about her actions.
I could just be reading far too into it though.

Actually, you're right. But that's not all to it. :)

I congratulate myself for reaching a chapter older than I am, yay! And the Unit/Season is about to end, and towards it, I hope to answer at least half of the questions on your minds. Also, I'm making this and the next chapters pt 12, I realized how hard it is to shift reading between frequent non- and italicized text (since I have a lot of these shifts). But if pt 10 works better, do tell.

I'm sorry for what is about to transpire, and the next things that may, can, or will happen (in the following chapters). There's going to be a lot of yelling. Prime your minds.

If the truth is you're a liar
When you say that you're okay

If You Ever Come Back
You know better, The Script

When Azrael had gone home, he was expecting that the masked man was back, but he still wasn't there. It's not like I care. He felt alone, but he was nothing close to lonely- Palmira just became his girlfriend. He was half-anxious that Enzalde might be already home, but was glad to find that she wasn't. Not yet anyway. He didn't know what to do and feel, what to say to Enzalde if she suddenly showed up. He sighed in relief and fixed himself for bed.

He slept well that night.

But the rain was still there, and it draped the whole of Paradiso.

Dawn, when the door silently opened, and footsteps light tread the floor.

Enzalde was home, and she brought home a lot of new recipes from her trip. She was hoping Azrael would love them more than the fruit parfait. And no time was too soon to make it for him.

She decided not to sleep until Azrael woke up- she wanted to surprise him. I'm sorry I took so long, love. And without explanation too, she already ran the words in her mind countless times. She had disappointed Azrael and she regretted it. She knew she was the only one he could ever rely on and she chose to disappear without explanation.

Azrael woke up and noticed the lights in the kitchen on. Ah, I forgot to turn it off last night. He was thinking then whether he should try making fruit parfait, he missed the creamy sweetness of it. A hot bath sounds really good, he said as he felt the early morning chill run up his entire body.

He seems to have forgotten why he loved fruit parfait so much. He wasn't at all pleased when he saw her.

Azrael: Nan? He was surprised and petrified, too shocked for any more words.
Enzalde: Love, I..
Azrael: Hey. What's for breakfast? He suddenly lost his appetite but went to see what was set on the counter. Key lime pie? This wasn't how he expected to have for breakfast.

Azrael didn't touch the food, he was getting ready to leave.

Enzalde: Love, it's still early.
Azrael: I have stuff to do.
Enzalde: I can't have a few minutes of your time? I've missed you so much.
Azrael: What? He scoffed.
Enzalde: Will you please, sit down? It was the same loving voice he used to like listening to. Now it was the voice he wanted to never hear again, but so much, he missed her so much.
Azrael: Okay. He did, but he was going to pretend he's doing homework.

Enzalde: I missed your prom, I'm sorry about that. Enzalde set down the book.
Azrael: No problem. He was old enough to do things by himself. I got by.
Enzalde: I could have been there to help you out. She laughed nervously.
Azrael: You're right, you could have. He wanted to mock her. He was full of anger and confusion, he held the pen shakily.
Enzalde: You need help with that? She was talking about his homework.
Azrael: Is that all you have to say? He could no longer contain his anger.
Enzalde: I.. She knew what he meant. She knows she owes him a lot of explanation and she doesn't know if he was still going to believe her after everything that happened. I'm sorry. There were no tears but there was so much sadness and regret.
Azrael: For what? For leaving me here stupid and clueless?
Enzalde: Please, listen?
Azrael: For being lied to? What lies are you going to tell me now? He was shaking violently.
Enzalde: I know, I lied. But I did it to protect you. She was starting to cry now. She didn't want him to see her weak, she wanted him to see her as someone he could rely on.
Azrael: Well, you failed. For whatever reason you did things for, and for whomever because I don't believe it was for me. He hesitated, I never will. He stood up and left the chair stumbled- the glass chair got chipped.

Enzalde started to cry uncontrollably.

It went on for days. He refused to talk to her and refused to cook the meals she made him. He gave her the cold shoulder, and he never went home before curfew. She was starting to get bothered, because of all that was happening. Azrael detached himself from her.

She called Theo, it was the one man he entrusted Azrael to. But he wasn't the masked man; Theo watched remotely.

Enzalde: Theo, I don't know what to do anymore, he's alienating himself from me.
Theo: Calm down, A. Why was he calling her A?
Enzalde: I can't calm down, not when he's like this. I should have listened to her.
Theo: I would say the same if you were still your hot-headed old self, but calm down. Worrying like this won't solve anything. And she has her own plans, we're just part of all of it.
Enzalde: What will? Theo wanted to comfort Enzalde but the most he could give her was comfort through the phone. They planned the future, since things weren't going anywhere like this.
Theo: Loosen up, A. Palmira's with him. I think she's been spending a whole lot of time with him now, even if she's not telling me.
Enzalde: I'm reduced to nothing, am I? She was starting to sob. She was weak like this. She had wanted to be everything that could protect him. Palmira's a good girl. I hope she won't take all the blame in the future.
Theo: We're doing this for everyone, aren't we? That's the truth and that's what we have to live for and live with.
Enzalde: Oh, if only I had listened to her.
Theo: That won't do anything, alright? Cheer up.

It became a routine. She waited for him to come home, and she always ate meals alone. She felt miserable, it must be how she made him feel.

She would wait for him to come home, staring out of the window, lonely. Hoping that maybe, one night, one day, he comes home with less hate, that he wakes up with less pride.

But that wasn't going to be the case. She would go into his room and lament. She was wrong all along.

Had she listened to her, things would have been better. I should have never questioned her. I was too angry.

Now she could do nothing but watch everything crumble to nothing because of her failures.

But she wouldn't give up, as long as she was here things can still change, things still have hope. But Azrael doesn't care. He wants to forget who he is and who he's been, he believed all of it to be a lie. That she was a lie.

For the next days she spent her time sitting on the chair, problematic. She filed an indefinite leave and was considered, someone had pulled the strings for her.

This was the latest that Azrael stayed out. She was worried. The police may have gotten him, but there was no call. Where was he? Anywhere but Easter, please.

She decided to wait in the terrace, so he could see who he was going with.

But Azrael was running home. Is this what he's been doing? She felt the whole world crush around her, but she had to talk to him. And now.

Enzalde: You're late.
Azrael: I know. He went straight to the kitchen.

Enzalde: What if you've gotten into trouble! She followed him.
Azrael: Keep out, will you?
Enzalde: How can you be like this?
Azrael: How could have you kept making me live a lie? Theo was right, Azrael became a black hole.
Enzalde: Azrael, listen.
Azrael: Can you please just leave me alone? He yelled at her and decided to go out, he won't be going home soon.

Enzalde couldn't. She ran past him and tried to talk to him, get some sense into his occluded mind.

Azrael: This isn't funny, Nan.
Enzalde: Your mother wouldn't want any of this happening to you.
Azrael: What do you know, for all I know, you could have just kidnapped me from my family.
Enzalde: That's not true, listen, I-
Azrael: Will you stop it? I'm tired of your lies. I'm sick of it. I don't need you. I don't need a liar telling me what to do.

He rushed to the door, but Enzalde stopped him.

Azrael: Why don't you listen, now? Why don't you try for once to listen to me! To listen to what I have to say! There was so much yelling, Azrael was so angry and he couldn't control it.
Enzalde: But you don't know anything. You're going to be in danger.
Azrael: That's right, I don't know anything, thanks to you. And the only danger I know of is the one I'll be getting if I kept hanging around this house and around you. You're the danger, liar.
Enzalde: Please, your family-
Azrael: All of them are most likely dead, and you know what, I don't care. I don't need them. He paused, part of him didn't want to say it, but anger spoke for him, and I don't need you.

Enzalde can't say anything to make him listen, she can only feel hurt as he watches him storm out of the door. Love, please, she tried to reach his mind but he ignored her.

What was she going to do now? She was repeating her mother's mistakes, thinking themselves right and reaping heartbreaking encounters. Encounters that can never be undone.

She went outside to think, and recreate that Sunday when Azrael was not how he turned out, when she could have still chosen to tell him everything.

She watched as the stars laughed at her. She had hoped that there were no stars in Paradiso to mock her.

Enzalde: The book. I hope he sees the book. I've placed it where he can see it.

She did that after their first fight but he never came to any place in the house but his room and the bath.

Enzalde's thoughts traveled to another place, to the haven that kept her hidden from the rest of Paradiso. Her thoughts traveled to the short happy days with the laughter and the new joy that only a mother can feel. This time, the baby didn't die. This time, she had brought her mother good news.

Azrael shouldn't have seen that letter. Then was the wrong time.

Azrael won't be home soon.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2014, 01:29:44 PM »
Man, that was intense. I don't blame Azrael for being mad, I mean Nan did just walk off without a word, leaving him to his own devices for AGES. I would be angry too. There's so many thing I still don't understand though that I can't wait to hear... what is the truth? Why has she decided to hide it? Whose side is she on, and is that the "good" or "bad" side?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2014, 11:08:06 PM »
Ouch.  :o

That was...rough. Azrael's reaction was definitely justified, though. I don't know what to think of either Enzalde or Palmira at this point. I don't trust either of 'em. :P

Offline cainspath

• Townie
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2014, 08:06:10 AM »
Man, that was intense. I don't blame Azrael for being mad, I mean Nan did just walk off without a word, leaving him to his own devices for AGES. I would be angry too. There's so many thing I still don't understand though that I can't wait to hear... what is the truth? Why has she decided to hide it? Whose side is she on, and is that the "good" or "bad" side?

The truth is, I haven't quite made up my mind regarding some people's contributions to the story, but the next chapter will most likely answer a lot of your questions, which I hope to post sometime this weekend. I hope.  ;).

Just know, that some of them aren't what they seem to be, with a crazy and whimsical person like me as the author, who knows what'll happen. But I swear, the Garrett Hawke question will be answered in the 24th chapter.   ;D

Ouch.  :o

That was...rough. Azrael's reaction was definitely justified, though. I don't know what to think of either Enzalde or Palmira at this point. I don't trust either of 'em. :P

That actually makes me happy (that you trust neither of them). I just hope you like surprises; and I hope I'll manage to come up with a good one!

Offline cainspath

• Townie
Re: Blood of the Mayfair: Pseudoupdate [Teaser]
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2014, 07:54:43 AM »
I'm still arranging some files and shots, and while I'm still at it, I give you a teaser! This is something that will give you an idea of what's happened and what will be happening in the next (immediate) chapter. I hope this serves to lessen the confusion, as you will see in the next chapter.

:)

Remember the depression?

Okay, so this is nothing depressing to readers who like the Enzalde-Matty team-up.

Then how about a little clue?

Moving on, this is where Enzalde says, "Mother, I don't know what to do anymore."

Well, things happened.

Why's the masked man in the hospital?

And where's he running to now?

Some more things happened.

Making some people adorably upset.

I am in love with Theo's cuteness!

The featured house is The Maurer House from TSR.

Offline cainspath

• Townie
Re: Blood of the Mayfair: Chapter 22- Pocket Full of Sunshine
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2014, 10:28:07 AM »
Word of warning, my sister complains whenever she reads my writing, because I have this tendency to overwrite. I'm (more) descriptive and I struggle in making stories appropriately narrative. But I hope this revelation of my true colors doesn't bore you, or bother you.  :-* I'm glad the story has reached this point!

PS.
Okay, so I've decided that 12 pt is a little too big for me. Sorry for not making up my mind, but I'll do my best to minimize changes and suppress my whims (as much as I can).

PPS. This, I think, is going to be a long read, you might wanna grab popcorn. But please don't allow the beat of the song to infiltrate the sanctity of this space as you read the lyrics, I beg you and thank you.

Take me away, a secret place
A sweet escape, take me away
Take me away, to better days
Take me away, a hiding place

There's a place that I go that nobody knows
Where the rivers flow and I call it home
And there's no more lies in the darkness there's light
And nobody cries, there's only butterflies

Pocket Full of Sunshine
Natasha Bedingfield

The stars continued to dance in their wait to bid the morning twilight. As they shivered and shrank behind the fading night sky, Enzalde continued to dream, and this dream and dreams traveled to the secret haven that shut her from the prying eyes of Paradiso, and of the world.

She could hear the euphoria rippling through the crisp air as her little girl Quillaia wobbled and fell. Her little girl was strong, refusing to cry whenever she fell and got hurt. The air wasn't heavy- not what she expected of the ocean's embrace. But she didn't mind, her little girl's laughter meant the whole world to her.

Sweet-nosed Quillaia whose brother died some long time ago. That time ago when Azrael saw a letter addressed to an unknown mother, and the reason behind Enzalde's despair and weakened demeanor- for whom Matteo Torres was blamed.

Blue-eyed Quillaia whose eyes are full of trust and joy.

Blue-eyed Quillaia whose eyes were neither Enzalde's nor Matteo's.

Blue-eyed Quillaia who may be Azrael's hope of understanding, if all else fails.

Enzalde heard the laughter of her daughter once more. Quillaia wasn't born like Azrael, with her auburn hair that turned black as the days went by. With her understanding that limited her to nothing but curiosity and innocent wonder. Her daughter was nothing like Azrael, but equally lovely. She could smell Azrael's snow-white hair in hers, before that night. Before that horrible nightmare. Sweet Azrael who knows nothing of where he came from, or who he is.

Sweet Azrael that knew nothing about Enzalde but her love and care.

Sweet Azrael who had no idea that Enzalde was his sister.

And sweet Azrael who was now full of hate.

He never touched the torte I made him. He never touched any one meal I made for him.

Enzalde felt a quick but sharp stab in her chest. Their mother was right, she should have let him know the secrets and the burden the family carried. But after the hunt and their father's death from the horrible onslaught, she chose to shut her surviving brother's life from the malice and greed that is Mayfair. Had the twins been saved, things would have been different. But what could she do? Their mother almost died from the Mayfair conquest that cost centuries worth of plans and fortune.

She could feel the splash of the wave against the shore miles away. She was reminded of the happiness that one night brought her. That one final night before she armed herself with regret and apology for Azrael, and before she left the secret paradise to face reality.

Run, Aveline! Run! The crackle of the fire laughed as it consumed the house, growing bigger as it fed on the furniture and tapestry.

But, Mother, no! A nightmare.

Leave! Leave and I will find you! A fortress of wailing ghouls protected her as she ran away, ran away and never turning back.

Someone had saved her from the melancholic doom she fell trap to. Someone had dared to share the world she lived and happily chose to stand by her side. Someone wanted to bear the burden with her. With the promise of an eternal bond.

What are you doing, Matty, stop being creepy!

What, what creepy. It's the creep in me that you fell in love with.

Oh, you scam!

Marry me?

She was flabbergasted. She and Matteo had long been bonded by Fate and blood. But it made her more happy that he chose to give her something that the world considered normal, despite everything about her and her family.

Yes! Yes! Let's be normal for once! She jumped and leaped into his arms. They laughed.

She had more than a million reasons in the world to be happy and distracted. Such beautiful creatures. Such beautiful beings.

But she worried. She worried more and more. Haunted and daunted, she was, because of what she failed to do.

Thank you, for standing by me all this time.

Well, you are my promised bride, he teased.

And you, my husband? They both exchanged a smile only doomed lovers can understand.

The bad dream again interrupted her trance.

Run, love. Run. Never turn your back. She could hear her mother's despair, fading into the deafening screams of the ghastly shield that protected her, drowned by the rain that masked the stench of dark intentions and death.

The Mayfair knew too much and too little. The knowledge they had abundance of, but the empathy, their empathy was nothing but greed eating itself outward.

Don't cry. You know I'm as badly devastated every time I see you cry, Matteo caressed her cheek, wishing it was enough to comfort her and her broken heart.

I know. I know. But I can't help it. I've kept so many things from Azrael and it's enough to send me burning to the Mayfairs.

You prefer them to hell? The Order's aristocracy and lies are worse than hell. I'd rather you stay caged in my arms.

If only. Her voice faded to silence. Her mother was watching them from somewhere, and how she missed her. I'm sorry. I can't promise that I'll be by your side as you always have.

I don't expect you to. He pinched her cheek. You're such a kid sometimes. I'm lucky enough you gave me time, gave me and Quillaia time. And I feel it's unfair to Azrael how he hasn't seen you for so long. I should be saying sorry for keeping you to myself.

Well, you haven't technically. You were by his side all this time.

His habits had given me the chance to sneak into the hospital when you gave birth. Dear, that was horrifying. I won't make you go through that again! He wiped his forehead, wiping his non-existent sweat.

I love you both, Matty. I love you and Quillaia both.

And I'm sorry.

She could hear again the cries from that night. Their mother had freed a thousand dark souls in her attempt to save them. And that had caused the Forest to crumble. The spirits that lived and spoke, the trees. Too many had gone in one night. Too many have gone at one time. Their mother had upset Fate and Earth at the same time. Fate for turning her back to her being a Vanguard for a man whose ancestor has turned his back on her, and Earth for destroying the foundations on which every realm was built.

If only great-grandfather saw through their lies. Had it been like that, there would have been no Enzalde. No Azrael. No Garrett. No Carver. Had it been like that their father would have never been.

Aveline. There was a pause. The Mistress came to the haven. It was the haven she built for the lovebirds, and it was the only thing she could give them now. Remembering things, love? She gathered herself to cradle the infant girl in her arms, who had only been born then.

Mum, she giggled. They had always been "Mother and Aveline." Never "Mum and Aveline." It was the boys who called their mother "Mum." I always wanted to try that.

Her mother nodded, I had always been waiting for you to call me that. Mother is far too formal, she laughed the way Theo would have laughed, but with grace. Her mother's whisper was the most beautiful and gentle. It was the sound of nature and breeze, soothing and calming. Protecting. Quillaia is a beautiful girl, isn't she? She smiled at her Aveline and took the babe from the crib.

I feel that you going here is going to endanger you further. You know how those people have long been after you. Since Za-

Her mother interrupted, Hush, Aveline. Zarall is past, let his soul rest. I still keep him in my pocket. She winked. Come, I wish to see the ocean from this lovely home.

She sat and carried Quillaia with her.

Aveline loved how her mother was keeper of souls. The reaper was her perversion, created from the minds of those who wanted to feed on fear and misery. Raziel knew that when he gave her that flower when he almost died. He saw through the true form beneath the black cloak and darkness that surrounded. Shannan knew that when she tried to talk to her in her spirit form in the rain, beneath the dancing lights that poured from the heavens. When she had asked for her help.

It made The Mistress sad that those two minds didn't reach each other's heart in their desire to protect- Raziel the secrets he had discovered, and Shannan, Abaddon. Shannan knew The Order was going to kill her and take her heart, for having nurtured a Hawke and not die. But The Order didn't know Shannan wasn't alone. She wasn't oblivious.

It was all part of the ordeal. Spread the web into the bloodline to kill its bearer, so you can have the life and power to yourself.

The Mayfair knew the limitless well that the Hawke could dip into. And they sought ways to trap it, juice it for themselves. But the witch's body could not take the growing power a Hawke seed gathered as it grew inside the womb. If the vessel dies, so does the growing spirit in it. It was what drove Zarall to his solitude.

But the two great witches they thought and sent died before giving birth, dying with the infant they found no use for. Until Esther came.

Until Esther, centuries locked in a painting was freed. She bore a child, Raziel.

The man was powerful but his loneliness made him vulnerable and stupid.

It was his loneliness that had attracted her to leave the Forest. For him. Because she found a man who knew how she felt, all those years of solitude. All those years of watching, left to do nothing but yearn for what is never to come.

Zarall. Zarall and Hysteria Witcher. But only the truly wounded could see her.

How old do you think I am, love? She loved to ask Aveline that question.

As old as you can ever be. And the answer she had always given her.

I still don't understand why you didn't change your name. How many generations have you been using your name, Mum? It was rhetorical, Aveline knew. She knew her mother the way a daughter would.

I love your father, more than I thought I would ever love Zarall. It was soft and careful.

I know, Mum. Dad was a funny guy, of course you'd love him. And his dorky laugh, and his very Hawke-nose. She nudged her mother gently.

Very funny, aren't you?

Now that's how the present world talks! She teased her more.

Do you think your brother will forgive me? It was suddenly melancholic.

For choosing to get rid of his consciousness? I don't know, Mum. I guess I'll be the one who won't be forgiven first. I allowed it. No, actually, I forced you to allow me. She bit her lip, I can still remember it:

I will do this or you will forget you ever had me, or Azrael!

I'm sorry I did that to you. There was a sparkle of tear adorning the corner of Aveline's left eye.

It all started from me. I expected you to inherit my stubbornness, if that would make you feel better. They both laughed weakly.

It's awesome to have the True Mayfair as your Mum. She's probably the best one in the world! It was childish but it rang what Aveline felt in her heart. She wanted to hug her mother tight that very instant. But she felt that the moment wouldn't allow her. That everything that was happening will never let her feel this happy for long. There was still Azrael to think about, and how she disappointed him and destroyed all of what she gave him, in an instant. And in a cascade of events.

The one thing I probably don't like about being Mayfair is that when you're carrying a child, The Mayfair has one hand with a knife on your neck, and the other on the ones you love. She didn't want to leave Azrael, but if she didn't leave, she would endanger him more, by staying with him and exposing him, confirming every suspicion they have gathered about their identity. She was driven to this island for all those reasons wrong and right.

Tell me, love. Do you trust this Teodor Medina? Her mother's question rang of concern.

Yes, entirely. He was the one who arranged everything needed for the move.

You never doubt him? Her mother wanted affirmation.

Never. Do you?

I trust your decisions, dear.

I can actually see myself persecuted the moment I step out of this place. It was a joke, but it was in no way funny.

Aveline could not have her mother stay with the daylight spread over Paradiso. The sun in Paradiso will not do her good, though she had once already basked in its deceiving comfort when she traveled to the secret lake.

In this world, she was The Mistress, a seer in The Order, whose authority is being questioned and threatened by the younger Mayfairs. In her home, she was the Lady of the Forest, who could hear the sighs and joy of every soul in every drop of rain that fell to the soil of the Forest.

She would never wish for Aveline to inherit this and the loneliness. She would rather see her daughter die trying to live how she thinks it right.

Hysteria hugged her daughter tight. She felt Aveline's sorrow seep into her, despite that smile, that brave mask. She felt her daughter's goodbye. It was her's daughter's swansong.

The spell ended. She heard the violent rumble of an engine far away before she fell into her trance. But now, it died, and it was what brought her senses back.

Now.

Someone was in the house, Aveline could feel an intruder step into the foothold.
Barriers sure are convenient harbingers. She tried to joke, and smiled to herself. Too bad Azrael won't be here to see this, or at least hear my joke. A tear fell as she was realizing how she won't be hearing her brother's laugh. It was so long since she heard him laugh. Tell my brother I love him, Aveline prayed silently to the wind, hoping it will carry her prayer to the right person. Hoping it will reach Palmira, and that I'm sorry. And that I probably wouldn't forgive myself for disappointing him, even if I'm dead. Please tell him, I love him. Nobody else will love him the way I did and do, except maybe Mum. She laughed. She thought it was funny and bitter at the same time. Tell him nothing else. And give him the book. She sent Palmira a message and instructions, I love you both.

She closed her eyes and let the image flash in her mind. It was one of the happiest nights, the moon was silent and the ocean was serene. Her mother had watched from behind the fog that enveloped the ocean that clear night. It was one of the few rain-less nights that had become of Paradiso.

She had confessed everything to her daughter. My beautiful child will be the bearer of news. She cried then at how all of this was selfish, despite the love and promise and hope. But there were sacrifices. Hawkes had their sacrifices, and this was hers.

The malice was nearing. She let her spirit flow out, and joined the stars as she ended her dream. It was the end of Aveline Hawke. She ended her romantic swansong.

I actually only heard Pocket Full of Sunshine from Boyce Avenue, and just recently. I liked it, so I tried to look it up and found the original, which gave me bad shivers I almost died from.

Again, the house was downloaded from TSR and is The Maurer House. You'll see more of it some time later. It's pretty, only if I could get rid of all that glow and moonlighting.

I got the name Aveline from Aveline Du Lac, one of the characters in Dragon Age II.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2014, 02:29:53 PM »
Wow, my head is spinning - so much information. I'll have to re-read that a few times to give you an accurate and well rounded comment, but wow! Nan is his sister?! I always imagined a guardian angel or someone who wasn't related, and that woman I've seen a lot - that's there mother? And she's a good Mayfair, and she's in hiding, making Enzalde take the brunt of everything. Poor dear. Now Enzalde has a child of her own, it would probably be best if she just came out with it to Azrael.

Offline cainspath

• Townie
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2014, 07:00:15 PM »
Wow, my head is spinning - so much information. I'll have to re-read that a few times to give you an accurate and well rounded comment, but wow! Nan is his sister?! I always imagined a guardian angel or someone who wasn't related, and that woman I've seen a lot - that's there mother? And she's a good Mayfair, and she's in hiding, making Enzalde take the brunt of everything. Poor dear. Now Enzalde has a child of her own, it would probably be best if she just came out with it to Azrael.

Well, about that. I hope I answered at least half of the questions?

Also, my friend's told me she thought the Lady of the Forest and The Mistress were different people, and they aren't. They're the same. I'm sorry if I'm a confusing storyteller. Also, have you seen the post prior to this chapter? I forgot and deleted the link in the index of chapters. I think those (photos) will help, in a way. I expect that comment to come around. Haha. Do take your time. I can't help but worry about my lack of capacity to write the way I want readers to understand it.  :'( Ask anytime.

And yes, I've made the error of putting Enzalde a lot of time in place of Aveline. She's pretty much become Enzalde to me. Aveline was a whole lot different person before she became Enzalde. What tragedies do, I guess.  :-X

Offline VioletG

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2014, 05:40:36 PM »
Hi, just wanted to leave a comment saying I've started reading this and it's so fun to read! I haven't made it through the whole thing yet but wanted to leave a comment since you've been commenting on my story :) I'm sure I'll have more to add once I get all caught up!

Offline cainspath

• Townie
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2014, 03:24:30 AM »
That's so sweet  :-[

Thank you! I'll probably be updating in two days or next week. The monstrous spirit of exam week is staring at the screen by my shoulder.