Author Topic: Grandmaster Challenge II: Bishop Takes Another Head Kick!  (Read 39888 times)

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
Re: Grandmaster Challenge II: Bishop Takes Another Head Kick!
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2014, 04:22:11 AM »
I flagged Lena to respond to your spreadsheet question.

Thanks Metro,

I unfortunately had an extremely nasty and busy week after I posted that in here, so I was unable to reply in here or via PM during the week. I didn't even log into this forum during the week. I'm sorry for all the PMs I didn't reply to, but my mind probably wouldn't have allowed me to make any sense.

Dek

PS Congrats Chare. I did some of that, but I struggled enormously with chess opponents and martial arts opponents being paparazzi or otherwise just not turning up. At one stage, I had my sim join the fortune telling career for a few moments and then leave it. That helped a bit. What I have found (courtesy of my ID attempts) is that paparazzi tend to also join the fortune telling career as either your boss or fellow employees, and then they are more than happy to play you in chess. I left the career almost straight away. I chose fortune telling as opposed to one of the base ones because (1) its lot was right next to my house and (2) I wanted to give the paparazzi as much as a chance as possible to discover the gloriousness of becoming fortune tellers, as opposed to having places taken up by townies.

There was one guy in china who would never come, he wasn't a paparazzi and so I discovered his house. After befriending him, I was able to group up with him and take him to a chess board and play him.

I was hoping for potions of instant aging to toss at some paparazzi while over in china (hoping I could get grim to come nice and early, particularly if they were my opponents, sadly I got everything but that one.

And yes, I know about that ep chooser thing that we can use. However, my computer didn't like the site it was on, the site it was on didn't like my computer, or both, and so I couldn't download it.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2014, 05:20:54 AM »
Dek I have the same problem my computer does not allow me to download the EP selector. I would have knocked off some time if I could have switched off late night and seasons and remembered that elixirs were allowed in this challenge.

Chare did you complete the chess part of the challenge at home or in vacation.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Tandrael

• Townie
« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2014, 10:37:35 AM »
Congratulations Chare! I do have one questions: the elixirs, did you make them or buy them? And if you bought them… where did you get all that money from? For me, trying to get money, any money, is so time consuming!

But of course, the elixirs! I totally forgot about that! But still, some opponents didn't show up because they were working… so my sim had to wait for hours… Question: is there an EP where you can choose the opponent? I think that's what made my game last so long, Madison was a stylist and every time I called her I had a notice saying -I'm working and I don't know when I will finish o something like that… I just kept calling until she eventually came, too tired to play, so she just left. So I find it really clever ti shut them in, and throw and elixir.

I don't think Chare went back to China after less than two days, I mean, I think that's not even possible… What I understood is that the first thing done after the game loaded was that the Sim went to China… and Chare had something like 5 days in town.
ˇPura vida!

Offline Chare

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2014, 12:23:54 PM »
Chare did you complete the chess part of the challenge at home or in vacation.

I did the chess part at home. It took me 5 days to complete.

Congratulations Chare! I do have one questions: the elixirs, did you make them or buy them? And if you bought them… where did you get all that money from? For me, trying to get money, any money, is so time consuming!

I bought them all. I stole the books from China on my 1st trip & sold them. Doing that gave me a nice slush fund to play with. When I did my consignment runs, I allowed 2-3 sim hrs per run & always in between 12-6am (You can't call new opponents between that time), so it didn't bother me doing it because I knew I was unable progress at that time. Yes, I lost out on some skill building time, but I always felt that match wins had a certain amount of random dumb luck factored into whether you came out on top or not. So for me...the pay off of having the elixirs & the security of extra LHPs from the LW for the LRs was worth it.

Offline jesirose

• Occult
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2014, 12:30:12 PM »
So weird I could have sworn someone had a time posted that was Week 1 Day 2, but I guess it's gone now. 5 days does seem a lot more reasonable.
- Jessica

Offline jesirose

• Occult
« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2014, 12:33:07 PM »
I knew I could beat my practice score if the other sims cooperated a little better, thankfully they did, a bit anyway :P I know it's possible to shave even more time off and Chare has proved that, but those pesky sims don't seem to understand I'm in a hurry  ::)

Town Time: week 1 day 2 8:12 am
Vacation 1: day 3 9:35pm
Vacation 2: day 6 12:35pm

Total time: 13342

Ah this is what I was talking about - Turoskel, how did you have such a short Town time?
- Jessica

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2014, 12:48:39 PM »
I'm not Turoskel but I can answer that question.  He basically did most of his chess challenge match in China.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Chare

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2014, 01:03:26 PM »
But still, some opponents didn't show up because they were working… so my sim had to wait for hours…

Something that helped me, I always canceled whatever Nikita was doing @ 10min til 6am & made the call for the next opponent. Calling at the earliest possible moment helped get the opponents with early morning work hrs to my lot before they had to stumble off to work. I still ran into opponents that were stuck at work though...but I figured out that if the wait time was longer than 2 hrs & if they were on my "known sim" list from previous matches, I could bait them to my lot with a party, lock them in, beat them & turn them loose.  ;)

Question: is there an EP where you can choose the opponent? I think that's what made my game last so long, Madison was a stylist and every time I called her I had a notice saying -I'm working and I don't know when I will finish o something like that…

Unfortunately, there is no EP that allows you choose your opponent. Had I been your shoes...the stylist career work hrs are from 9am-7pm, I would have tried a meet & greet at the salon, followed up with a party grab to get her away from work...if it were closer to 7, I would just spent the time skill building until after her work shift ended.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2014, 01:20:24 PM »
...the stylist career work hrs are from 9am-7pm, I would have tried a meet & greet at the salon, followed up with a party grab to get her away from work...if it were closer to 7, I would just spent the time skill building until after her work shift ended.

I am trying to envision what that meet and greet with Madison would have been like — "you better not show up at our chess match smelling like you just gave someone a bad perm. HEY! Get that Topsy Tail away from my head!"

Offline Turoskel

• Watcher
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2014, 01:28:28 PM »
Ah this is what I was talking about - Turoskel, how did you have such a short Town time?

Nutella is right, I did one day in Riverview playing chess and the rest all in China, it helps cut down on the sorry I'm at work response because they have no jobs, and the adventurous trait meant my sim could travel again sooner.

Nutella was wrong about one thing though

I'm not Turoskel but I can answer that question.  He basically did most of his chess challenge match in China.

Last time I checked I was most definitely a girl  ;)

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2014, 01:36:33 PM »
Last time I checked I was most definitely a girl  ;)

Sorry, lol!    :P

Offline jesirose

• Occult
« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2014, 01:42:58 PM »
Right but my question was you have two trips to China, and the wait time between travel is 28 hours at the least right?
- Jessica

Offline Chare

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2014, 01:54:51 PM »
Right but my question was you have two trips to China, and the wait time between travel is 28 hours at the least right?

The lowest wait time between trips you can have is 24hrs. This is only possible with the adventurous trait.

I am trying to envision what that meet and greet with Madison would have been like — "you better not show up at our chess match smelling like you just gave someone a bad perm. HEY! Get that Topsy Tail away from my head!"

Lol! That's totally something I can imagen Nikita saying. :p

Offline Tandrael

• Townie
« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2014, 02:10:59 PM »
Thanks for all your advise Chare! I didn't know one could steal the books from China! LOL… Great idea! I did go to one sim's house to "challenge" them, but at their house I never got the option.

On another note… some forum names are hard to tell the gender, like Turoskel that ends with "el", I bet mine -Tandrael also, I'm a girl by the way; Chare, I can't tell, if your sim is a girl I could assume you are also a girl, but I can't be sure so I was like "the sim of Chare was sent" or something like that in my comment instead of "I bet s/he sent her/his sim to china first thing"… LOL
ˇPura vida!

Offline Chare

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2014, 03:24:15 PM »
On another note… some forum names are hard to tell the gender, like Turoskel that ends with "el", I bet mine -Tandrael also, I'm a girl by the way; Chare, I can't tell...

I'm a girl. ;D