Author Topic: My Dog Kennel/Breeding Program  (Read 16578 times)

Offline Kittygirl777

• Nooboo
My Dog Kennel/Breeding Program
« on: June 25, 2014, 02:40:22 PM »
I was inspired to do this by this thread: http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,7297.0.html

I've wanted a dog since I was a kid. Like, a little kid. Like, before I was going to kindergarten. Like....I think you get it. To be honest, I'm still a kid, but I'll be a teenager in a few months. But that's besides the point.

Let's start way long ago, before I even started wanting a dog, though.

As soon as I could talk, one of the first things I expressed was my inclination towards wolves. That's right, wolves. As I got older, my obsession grew, along with my obsessions with reading about wolves, writing about wolves, talking about wolves, thinking about wolves, and basically living and breathing wolves. People teased me for this, said that they were stupid and that they were bloodthirsty beasts. Of course, I argued back. It may be true that a few occurrences of wolves killing humans have occurred, but all of those incidents have evidence that the wolf was doing what it did to protect something, whether it be themselves, their pups, their mate, their territory, something. And tell me, how many times have we killed them? Too many to count in a thousand years. How many of them have killed us? In the U.S, approximately 0.1 percent a year on average.

But now I'm just ranting. Let's continue.

Now, the closest relative I can find to a Wolf that is a common, non-dangerous pet was the magnificent species of dogs. This is how my obsession with dogs began.

Naturally, I loved Husky's, mainly Alaskan ones for some reason I am not sure of, because they were similar to wolves in both appearance and personality, but still domesticated and generally safe to be around.

Of course, no Alaskan Husky's are allowed in the house with 4 cats. I need something smaller, much smaller. Like, cat-size. That way if a fight does break out, the cats will at least have a winning chance, so it is less likely for either to get killed or seriously injured, since they are on mostly even level.

So, I searched the internet for cute dog breeds that were similar to a husky or wolf but much smaller.

And you know what I found?

An Alaskan Malmute.

But that doesn't fit the bill, either. It's still too big.

So what next?

A miniature Klee-kai.

You just witnessed the birth of my favorite dog breed. Only one problem; I have to wait until we can sell our current house with a huge property so we can get a better house with a smaller property that we can fence in. Hold on, make that two problems; Klee-kai's are also rare, and therefore expensive. We don't have that type of money.

So what do I do? I play Sims 3, of course!!

So, now that that lengthy explanation is FINALLY over, let's begin the actual Sims 3 stuff.

I'll save the best for last, and start with the house. I can't remember if it's a custom house I downloaded or game-made, but it's basically a really small house with practically no room to start with. On a really small lot.

So, I moved it to a 64x64 lot in the custom world of Flanders Fields, (originally meant for horses, but who cares. XD) and put it in the center front. Then I built a dog kennel around it, which you will see later. And then I made a (HUGE) backyard forest, covering most of the lot. You'll see that later too.

Now, you're going to see the updated version of the house after I played a bit and then added a second story into the mix.

Screenshot time!

1st floor overhead view.

2nd floor overhead view.

Front of house.

Computer in the bedroom on the 1st floor.

Dining table & stairs to 2nd floor.

2nd story office back.

2nd story office front.

Outdoor dog kennel.

Outdoor dog kennel overhead view.

Whole lot from back.

Whole lot from front.

I will add pics of my Sim(s) and my dogs as soon as it stops raining in-game so I can get a good outdoor screenshot. ^.^

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Kittygirl777

• Nooboo
Re: My Dog Kennel/Breeding Program
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 10:28:22 AM »
Apologies for the late update, I fell asleep on the job..

But look on the bright side, at least I got a good 15 hours of rest!. ;)

For those who didn't read the spoiler on the last post, my female, Cheza, is pregnant, and is due to give birth anytime now.

Here are a few pics of Cheza:

As you can see, Cheza is missing an eyebrow spot, and the one that she has is darker than usual; instead of being a white, it is a light-medium grey. Also, all the areas on her body that are white are generally a light-medium grey, making her unique in her own way. She was named after a character in my favorite anime, Wolf's Rain. The male, Kiba, was also named after a character from Wolf's Rain, and I plan to continue this for all the males, but Cheza will be the only female with a name from Wolf's Rain, due to the fact that she is the only noticeable female character in the anime besides Blue, and her name does not fit the species of dog or their appearance very well. Once I run out of male names from Wolf's Rain, I may or may not use names such as Kiba II or Kiba VI, ect. I may only do this as of lack of a name I can think of that is not Wolf's Rain related. I only am doing this as a promotion to this anime, but I am not affiliated with whoever developed Wolf's Rain or any of the cast. I am simply a die-hard fan who practically died on the last episode. (You'll have to watch it if you want to know what I mean. >:D)

That being said, let's move on to Kiba.

Kiba is a standard specimen of the Miniature Klee Kai breed, but again, he is unique in his own way. He, unlike Cheza, has one blue eye and one green eye, and not to mention his rambunctious personality!

While Cheza prefers to run around and enjoy the breeze in her fur, Kiba is the type that will play in puddles just to play in them. He's very playful and loves a game of tug-of-war, even though he usually loses.

Cheza is very dominant over Kiba, but they enjoy eachother's company, even if they do have their arguments here and there. It's sort of like a human couple; The wife is usually dominant over the husband because they do more work, but they still love each other, despite their arguments.

But enough of the dogs! What is my sim like? Bliss Dream may be clumsy, but she loves dogs and her favorite breed is the Alaskan Klee Kai. And the best part, all dogs love her! She found a stray in the yard one day, and the poor elderly dog walked right up to her and began licking the dog brush in her hand that she had previously been using to brush Cheza. So, as Cheza gleefully ran off to play with Kiba, she decided to brush the frail thing and give it some food. Of course, a car honked by as soon as she finished brushing him and he ran after it. She hopes he's alright.

Well that's it for now! Hope for more soon!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Kittygirl777

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 04:45:30 PM »
I got good news for you all! Cheza just had puppies! A male and a female. The female is named Serenity and the male is named Toboe. Here they are!

Serenity:

Toboe:

Some positive (or negative) feedback is always welcomed. ^.^

Offline Kittygirl777

• Nooboo
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 10:01:49 PM »
I've got bad news and good news. The bad news is that I accidentally deleted my save file. The good news is that I'm starting over, only this time with a new type of dog. I used the same base house from the first save and built upon it to make it even better than the house in the last save, although I left some rooms the same or mostly the same. I also added a whole new building connected to the back of the house just for the dogs. The new building looks pretty bad because I'm not too good with that type of thing, though, but I don't think the dogs care. XD I did go with an overload of food bowls in there. XD

Also, I discovered 'Cameraman' mode today (For those who don't know, press tab to open it. It helps you take pictures at better angles. ^.^) so I'll be using that for the pics of the house. ^.^

Here we go!

http://www.kizoa.com/Video-Maker/d11676214k5870402o1/sims-3-esprit-libre-kennels

(Sorry, can't figure out how to post the slideshow directly into the forum. :/ If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me in the comments. I don't bite. ^.^)

As for the Sims, I used the same sim as last time, only with different traits. Her new traits are: Good Sense of Humor, Good, Natural Cook, Neat, Dog Person.

The new dog breed is Australian Cattle Dogs. The male's name is Ari and the female's name is Maik. No more Wolf's Rain names. ^.^

I just started this game but Maik isn't pregnant yet like last time; need to get them used to each other. I'll come back soon once I got some cute pictures of the dogs. Wish me luck!

Offline Steellace

• Townie
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 12:19:13 PM »
Hi!  I thought I'd drop that feedback you're missing :-).  I'm enjoying your little adventures with the dog kennel.  I've thought about doing an animal breeding game like this but haven't developed the thoughts enough to start it.  Too bad you lost the original file, but starting over gives you the chance to make it better.  I hadn't heard of the Alaskan Klee Kai breed before ... way too cute!  I'm looking forward to more stories.

Offline Lisa46

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 01:32:48 PM »
It's cool that you are trying the horse breeding but with dogs.  :) I think the only reason there isn't a thread for dogs is because you can't sell them like you can with horses.

Offline Steellace

• Townie
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 10:34:27 PM »
If you don't mind using mods, you can sell cats and dogs at the consignment shops.  The mod I use is NRaas' Consigner.  It lets you sell almost anything at the consignment shop, including things from the family inventory.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Kittygirl777

• Nooboo
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 01:23:43 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for commenting. ^.^

I've been a bit busy with other things recently, and I know it's not much but here's a few pics of the dogs. Not as big as the usual update but oh well.

I am starting a website soon with a story to go along with the updates found here, so I've been busy doing that. Sorry guys, but it's not published yet. Just hold on. ^.^

I don't have any pictures of Maik yet but I do have a picture of both Maik and Ari, more are to come soon on the website but I'll continue to update you guys here until then. ^.^

(Note: For those who are worried, I will always post a link here to new updates on my site if their are any once it's made. I'll also check for comments here, so don't be afraid to comment here as well as on my website. ^.^)

Ari an Maik Licking eachother (So cute. XD)

Ari Sleeping

Ari Sleeping Headshot

And Steelace(2nd post), I have a problem with NRass's mods for some reason, and I also have a problem with the idea of selling a dog at a consignment shop. O_O

@Lisa I just love dogs. XD They are wonderful creatures (Don't get me wrong, so are horses, but I feel there's just something missing when I'm around them...) and I love them. (Yes, that's all I have to say. XD)

@Steelace (1st post) Thanks. ^.^ I really appreciate you following my stories, but as a note on the website I'll have a traditional-style story (Best way I can say it..e.e) similar to the ones on challenge threads along with this form of story, so that's something to look forward too. ^.^Chances are I'll update this type of story more often though, since I'm better at making shorter, more head-on posts like these than longer, bread-and-butter posts like traditional stories. Rest assured, though, that when I do update the traditional stories I'll make them longer and more detailed to compensate. Am I being too confusing? XD

I'm going to head on over to my website now and add a few quirks, but let's just hope that it'll be out soon. ^.^

Offline Awkwordy

• Nooboo
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 10:53:00 PM »
What type of fencing is that with the kennels? I really like it and have seen it in a few gamemade lots, but it will never let me click it with the copy tool. I've also scrolled through all the fences I have. Does it come with an expansion pack? (I have Late Night, Loft Stuff, and Pets)

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 11:03:29 PM »
If you mean that chainlink fence, it's the Epiphany Fencing and is in the base game.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline Awkwordy

• Nooboo
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 11:21:34 PM »
Thanks for your help. I must have just missed it the first time I looked.

Offline Johanna6

• Nooboo
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2023, 02:16:43 PM »
Unfortunately the pictures aren't showing up for me... don't know why.

Regarding keeping dogs and cats, I would say that it's not that much about the dog's size. It's far more about the temperament. Small dogs can fight with cats, and big dogs can get on great with them. It all depends. One thing I'd say is important is that the dog is used to cats from when it's a little puppy. Also the type of dog is important. As a general rule, sighthounds are a bad idea, although even those can be ok if they're used to cats. Sheepdogs are quite a safe bet, as they won't hunt animals, only herd them... although that may still scare or annoy cats, but obviously won't hurt them. I read that scenthounds can be a surprisingly good choice, as they recognise the smell of cats they live with as part of the general smell of their home, and not as something to hunt, so scenthounds are generally good with cats they live with, if not with other cats. Obviously then there are gun dogs/retrievers, which are I believe the most popular type of dog (that includes spaniels, labradors, golden retrievers, et cetera). I think those probably more depend on the individual dog, but I think they're generally fine, especially if they're raised with cats, as they're friendly and eager-to-please kinds of dogs. Then obviously there are the little lap-dog type dogs... again I think it really helps to grow up with cats. I have a Shish Tzu who grew up with cats who has always been great with them. According to a quick Google search it seems huskies aren't perhaps the best choice for a dog to keep with cats, but Google Images shows that even huskies can get on well with cats. Again, I would imagine it's case of growing up with cats and/or careful training.

Also, so sorry to hear about you losing your save file. It's a good idea to back these things up. The save files can be found under Documents - I'm sure you can Google instructions on how to find them, otherwise you're welcome to ask me.

anything