Author Topic: How do gems work?  (Read 7559 times)

Offline glitterderpes

• Nooboo
How do gems work?
« on: July 03, 2014, 07:07:08 PM »
Not really sure if this would be the right place to post it. But since I'm asking related to alchemy I thought I'd post here.
I'm not really good at utilising the games to their fullest potential, all the fun new things I've never tried or "maxed out". Gem cutting is one of them. I got the machine but my sims would keep putting gems into it whenever I wasn't looking and I've no idea what it does/what the point is. So I guess I'll formulate my question(s) like this:

What is the difference between gem dust and cut gems? The difference in use, that is.
Can I use a cut gem in an alchemy potion?
Is it more economical to use gem dust? Do I get more gem dust from one found stone than I get cuts? Like, I'd get 4xdust but only 1xemerald cut topaz from a found piece of topaz.

I'm sorry if I'm using the wrong names or stuff like that, I'm playing in a different language and sometimes I have difficulty figuring out which is which in English. And sorry if it's in the wrong place (it's my first question)

Danielle Haydis

Re: How do gems work?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 12:36:27 AM »
Hi there and welcome to the Forum :)

What is the difference between gem dust and cut gems? The difference in use, that is.
I'm assuming you mean their use in alchemy. There's no difference actually. You can even use an uncut gem for alchemy and it won't affect anything.

In general use, gems are mostly used to make some quick money. You can sell them at the consignment store. Cut gems are more expensive than gem dust so, if you wanted, you could sell the cut gem and keep the gem dust for alchemy. More info here

Can I use a cut gem in an alchemy potion?
Yes, you can.

Is it more economical to use gem dust? Do I get more gem dust from one found stone than I get cuts? Like, I'd get 4xdust but only 1xemerald cut topaz from a found piece of topaz.
How much gem dust you get from an uncut piece varies. You'll always get one cut gem and one gem dust if you use the gem cutting machine but sometimes you might get two or three gem dust. It's random.

Hope this helps (and made sense).

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 04:50:06 AM »
In general use, gems are mostly used to make some quick money. You can sell them at the consignment store. Cut gems are more expensive than gem dust so, if you wanted, you could sell the cut gem and keep the gem dust for alchemy. More info here

Just a small correction here.  You cannot sell gems at the Consignment Store, only at the Elixir Shop.  That's where the gem cutting machine is found.  The Consignment Store is what came with Ambitions (I believe) and it doesn't accept gems.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline glitterderpes

• Nooboo
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 07:08:31 AM »
Thank you so much, both of you! I was so afraid that if my Sim cut a gem, it'd then be too valuable to use for a potion. How does the cutting work? Is it a hidden skill? Because I can only do 1 cut (I only tried with one stone already really, this whole thing has me freaked out haha) other than dust. And since you said one can only cut in the machine at the alchemy store, how did one cut in World Adventures? Since the gem collecting guide thingy that Danielle linked said that new cuts followed the new games that came in the pack.

Thanks again so much! I bought a cutting machine now since I'm not so freaked out about my sims using it hehe

Offline Zyffyr

• Townie
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 04:33:41 PM »
Thank you so much, both of you! I was so afraid that if my Sim cut a gem, it'd then be too valuable to use for a potion. How does the cutting work? Is it a hidden skill? Because I can only do 1 cut (I only tried with one stone already really, this whole thing has me freaked out haha) other than dust. And since you said one can only cut in the machine at the alchemy store, how did one cut in World Adventures? Since the gem collecting guide thingy that Danielle linked said that new cuts followed the new games that came in the pack.

Thanks again so much! I bought a cutting machine now since I'm not so freaked out about my sims using it hehe

It isn't exactly a skill. New cuts are unlocked after you do a certain number of cuts, and no it doesn't matter what cut you use to earn them. Unless you are working to complete a wish that requires you to cut X gems with Cut Y  (such as 3 gems with the Plumbob cut), always use the most valuable one with the machine. BTW, those wishes tend to not complete if you use the "Cut with Machine" interaction that is available on the gems, but always work just fine if you use the "Cut Gems" or "Cut stack of gems" interactions on the machine itself.

Pam didn't mean "You can only cut them in the Alchemy Store", she meant that (barring the use of mods) the Alchemy Store is the only place you can consign the gems. The mention that the machine is there is merely to provide a point of reference to which of the default buildings it is, and to note that it can be done there if you haven't bought a machine of your own.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 07:14:13 PM »
Also, before the gem-cutting machine, your Sim could send gems in the mail to be cut. The gem-cutting machine is free, whereas the mail option (which is still available) cost 10 simoleons for the emerald cut, and went up in price from that. If you click on the gem, and click on "cut" rather than "cut with machine", it will go through the mail, just like the metals when you send them off to make ingots.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline glitterderpes

• Nooboo
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 11:51:11 AM »
Thanks again so much! It cleared that whole thing up, and I think now that I can look for help in the forums I might actually use my sims games a bit better :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

anything