Author Topic: Question about installing  (Read 2722 times)

Offline tinamjeanne

• Nooboo
Question about installing
« on: September 03, 2014, 04:50:13 PM »
I haven't actually purchased Sims 4 yet, but I had it in my shopping cart on origin.com and I had the thought, "I should log in to Origin before I buy this so it can be in my account with my other games." So I clicked Login....and there began my problems. I forgot my password, the email to reset my password won't come, it's not in my spam folder. I tried uninstalling and re-installing Origin with no success. In reading, it seems there are lots of people who can no longer log in to Origin to play their games. Like since January. So much for being able to play my other games I have through Origin.

My question is this: do you REALLY need Origin in order to install Sims 4? I'm assuming that you can actually PLAY the game without it by simply opening the .exe file, but what about INSTALLING the game? I don't want to purchase Sims 4 and not be able to even install it for months. I lived through that with Sims 3. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I did look on the Origin help, and it's pretty much worthless. I tried to send in a help ticket, but guess what...you have to log in in order send your help ticket about not being able to log in.

Dellena

Re: Question about installing...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 05:30:33 PM »
Two things.  Are you sure you signed up to Origin with the e-mail address you are checking?

And yes, you do need to be logged into Origin to install the game.  It's required for registration.  Once that is done, you no longer need to be connected although future updates will all be through Origin.

You might need to try to contact Origin by phone?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline tinamjeanne

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 05:55:35 PM »
Yep, just got off the phone with them. Apparently when I changed my email address a while ago, I didn't update it in Origin. I no longer have access to that email address, so forgetting my password was unfortunate, to say the least. Anyway, it's done. I do wish the Origin site was user-friendly, but whatever. It is what it is. Now on the purchasing and exploring.  ;D

A big shout-out and thank you to Amber from Origin for getting my account back up and running! You have begun to renew my opinion in the competency of Origin and EA. It had only up to go, really. Haha

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 06:21:10 PM »
My question is this: do you REALLY need Origin in order to install Sims 4? I'm assuming that you can actually PLAY the game without it by simply opening the .exe file, but what about INSTALLING the game? I don't want to purchase Sims 4 and not be able to even install it for months. I lived through that with Sims 3. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I did look on the Origin help, and it's pretty much worthless. I tried to send in a help ticket, but guess what...you have to log in in order send your help ticket about not being able to log in.
Hi, tinajeanne.

You do have to have Origin to run the game. It will launch when you run The Sims 4 whether you install the disc version or download it from Origin. You don't need to be online to play though. Only for the initial registration.

Hope this helps and happy Simming! :)

Flynn
Check out Flynn's Fineries for houses, Sims and helpful articles.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Dellena

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 07:57:16 AM »
There IS some hoop jumping to get to a customer service rep at Origin, but so far, every time I've actually talked to one (or chatted with them through the chat interface) the experience has been positive.  Keep that phone number handy. :)

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 11:59:48 AM »
I'm having a bit of a problem with the install . I've already put both dics into the CD Rom . It looks like now that I need to unzip this large file . I keep getting an error . This is what the error says . " Compressed (zipped) Folders Error . Compressed (zipped) Folders was unable to create the specific directory . Ensure that the directory does not already exist., and the path entered is valid . "

I've tried several things but keep getting the same message . I've only unzipped files a few times and that was quite a while ago and don't recall how this was done . Any help would be greatly appreciated .
Memories have no expiration date .
ladybug53's Studio

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 12:48:25 PM »
I'm having a bit of a problem with the install . I've already put both dics into the CD Rom . It looks like now that I need to unzip this large file . I keep getting an error . This is what the error says . " Compressed (zipped) Folders Error . Compressed (zipped) Folders was unable to create the specific directory . Ensure that the directory does not already exist., and the path entered is valid . "

I've tried several things but keep getting the same message . I've only unzipped files a few times and that was quite a while ago and don't recall how this was done . Any help would be greatly appreciated .
Hi, ladybug53.

When you put in the first DVD, it should prompt you to run Autorun.exe from the disc, which will start the installation process. You shouldn't need to uncompress the file manually. Origin will open during the install process and copy the game files from the disc, then activate the game.

If you're having problems with your discs installing try running autorun.exe or setup.exe directly from the disc. If you're still getting the error, you may have a bad disc. In that case, you can still add the game to your Origin library and download it - your key will add the same version you bought on disc, so you won't lose anything. The downside is it downloads about 8.5 GB worth of data for the install.

Hope this helps and Happy Simming! :)

Flynn

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 03:46:04 PM »
Thanks so much ! I was able to get the game started and everything is now fine and ready for some simming .  :)
Memories have no expiration date .
ladybug53's Studio

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 11:28:16 PM »
Thanks so much ! I was able to get the game started and everything is now fine and ready for some simming .  :)
Glad to hear that. :)

Flynn

anything