Author Topic: Kids skills  (Read 9396 times)

Offline ZoeLou

• Llama Wrangler
Kids skills
« on: September 05, 2014, 04:05:14 AM »
Has anyone got any insight to the point of the kid skills and how they actually work? I thought they would be like toddler skills in TS3 and translate into adult skills once they became teens but that seems not to be the case.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: Kids skills
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 04:15:27 AM »
I have a child at the moment and know that it's nothing like Sims 3 toddler skills.  The ones my child has at the moment are:  Creativity, Motor, Social, and Mental.  I sort of suspect that Motor might turn into Active, and Social might become Charisma.  I don't know for sure, though.  I've seen a school requirement of getting to level 4 in two skills, and the child gets whims based on his emotions and skills, just like adults.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ZoeLou

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 04:28:58 AM »
That's what I thought Pam, after having my little girl level up to 4 in each of the four child skills, I expected to start some or all of the adult skills at a higher level. But she's a teen now and she's starting from one at every skill, painting, charisma, the whole shebag. So looks like they are child-only, and don't give a lot of benefit past that stage.

Offline jillz

• Origin ID: Charzof
  • Townie
  • Knitter. Gamer. Geek.
    • The New Adventures of Priska
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 06:17:32 AM »
You have it right, Pam. Creativity = Creative, Mental = Logic, Social = Charisma and Motor = Athletic.

I actually found it difficult to max out my children's Aspirations AND have them succeed at their daily job (school). I only managed to do it with one of my kids. He also maxxed out his Mental skill and once he did that as a child, any more time he spent on objects that would have given him Mental points, started going into Logic.

On my second child, he was 2/3 in his Social Aspiration and I needed to meet a few more Sims and get him a BFF but I failed in doing that. I haven't gone back to play them as Teens much yet, I got sucked into a different game testing something else out but I'll let you know about Teens once I do.

Offline ZoeLou

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 08:17:18 AM »
So what happened when your child aged up? Did they start at a higher skill level in those skills?

Offline jillz

• Origin ID: Charzof
  • Townie
  • Knitter. Gamer. Geek.
    • The New Adventures of Priska
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 10:17:36 AM »
The one child who achieved his Mental Aspiration started Logic as a child and started off at level 1. The trait you get for getting the Mental Aspiration as a child is "Mentally Gifted" - Mentally Gifted Sims build adult mental skills faster.

He didn't start off with a higher skill level but he learns it faster. 

Offline Canucklehead044

• Nooboo
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 12:31:54 PM »
I tested this out a bit yesterday and found out:

- Once a child maxes out a skill they will then start gaining skill points in the adult equivalent of the skill. For example, my child Sim maxed out the social skill and therefore started developing the charisma skill.

- Once the child grew into a teen they kept all the adult equivalent skills but the "child skills" (social, motor, mental and creativity), went away. For example, my child Sim had gained four charisma points because they had maxed out the social skill. However, they didn't max out any of the other skills so they therefore didn't gain the adult equivalent in any of the other skills. Once my child was a teen he had four charisma skill points and the other skills disappeared from his skill list.

Hope this helps somewhat :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline kanzaki

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 03:17:55 PM »
I've been able to do two aspirations, creative and motor on a single child... creative is by far the easiest (child's violin/piano,) I actually used the points gained in that tree for a young again potion to complete the motor.

For some reason i couldn't find the read to child options when I tried mental, I randomly found out the book has to be out of the shelf (or maybe open the bookcase) to do it, so I may revisit that one next

Offline Ellenser

• Future Physicist
  • Townie
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 08:43:59 PM »
I've done the social, mental and motor aspiration. Haven't had a child sim that I wanted to be the creative sort so I haven't done that. Completing an aspiration gives the sim a new trait that they will carry on into adulthood.

I've been able to do two aspirations, creative and motor on a single child... creative is by far the easiest (child's violin/piano,) I actually used the points gained in that tree for a young again potion to complete the motor.

For some reason i couldn't find the read to child options when I tried mental, I randomly found out the book has to be out of the shelf (or maybe open the bookcase) to do it, so I may revisit that one next

For reading a book to a child, you need to select a Children's book with your adult sim and the option to read to a child should show up then. I've only done it when the book was out of the bookcase, though it may work if the book is in the bookcase as well.
Hi!

Offline kanzaki

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 10:23:11 PM »

That only works on the social/charisma thing, the creative and motor skills (if you complete the aspiration) give your sim a trait to learn the adult versions faster... I haven't completed the aspiration for child's social, but I did max social and see the charisma and comedy unlock... that didn't happen when max'ing motor and creativity.

Offline justproud2b

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 07:02:32 PM »
I made a test family and have found the following items increase the skills (ones not listed in game). Hope this helps!

Mental (Logic)
Fishing
Observatory
Play Game (Click on child they will play a game on cell phone - probably slowest way to level though)

Creative - Nothing new Learned but can be boosted the most
While child is on Activity Table select them with adult or teen and choose Encourage
If you have a teen/adult with a instrument maxed at 10 they can click the sim and choose mentor while they are playing. (Children can play Childs Violin and Piano)

Motor
Dancing

Social
Mirror (Practice Speech)

Offline Franki

• Occult
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 06:55:55 AM »
I made a test family and have found the following items increase the skills (ones not listed in game). Hope this helps!

Mental (Logic)
Fishing
Observatory
Play Game (Click on child they will play a game on cell phone - probably slowest way to level though)

Creative - Nothing new Learned but can be boosted the most
While child is on Activity Table select them with adult or teen and choose Encourage
If you have a teen/adult with a instrument maxed at 10 they can click the sim and choose mentor while they are playing. (Children can play Childs Violin and Piano)

Motor
Dancing

Social
Mirror (Practice Speech)

Just to add to that, once you max your kid skills, you can start on your adult skills, so if you max mental, you can start Logic and fishing.

Creative maxed, mostly gets you a good moodlet because you can max piano and violin as a child. Motor stays the same until you age up.

Social - Charisma can be learnt as a kid once social is maxed... in my test family the kid had her social skill maxed and was about to max the charisma skill, they showed up as separate items in the list of skills and charisma was maxed by the time the kid aged up.

While you are still a child you can get a start on comedy, writing, video gaming and programming, video gaming and programming a capped until you age up but writing and comedy can be maxed as a kid, writing through the computer and comedy through social interactions, the books won't work while still a kid.
Straud/Masters - Tangled and defying untangling attempts

I Aten't Dead - Granny Weatherwax

Offline EtnaFan666

• Shy Sage of Sucrose
  • Occult
  • Don't mess with Texas, foo!
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 10:24:39 AM »
Interesting observations! This will be useful when I start playing The Sims 4.
I play The Sims 4 for fun, so I don't care if I never end up being interviewed for the Dynasty Hall of Fame; people who play for keeps burn out too easily and don't enjoy playing the games, so I am going to not sweat the details.

"With great ability comes great taking into account of one's actions!" - spoken by an NPC in Lego Marvel Superheroes