Author Topic: Mentoring  (Read 209012 times)

Dellena

Mentoring
« on: September 10, 2014, 03:20:27 AM »
For the Successful Lineage aspiration, as part of phase 4, you have to mentor a child.

First, you'll need to purchase the Mentoring reward from the Satisfaction rewards.  I'm not in game at the moment but I think it was 1000 points.

My child was already a teen at that point so I couldn't use the creativity table so I'll have to edit this post the next time I have a child and tell how that works.

To mentor a child after they've 'grown up', there is a limited number of skills that you can mentor in once you've maxed the skills out.  The skills are:

Fitness
Guitar
Handiness
Logic /Chess
Painting
Piano
Violin
Writing

None of the other skills can be mentored.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
Re: Mentoring
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 03:25:52 AM »
It's like you read my mind, I was just about to ask about this. Thank you :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline callycat

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 06:43:43 AM »
For the Successful Lineage aspiration, as part of phase 4, you have to mentor a child.

First, you'll need to purchase the Mentoring reward from the Satisfaction rewards.  I'm not in game at the moment but I think it was 1000 points.

My child was already a teen at that point so I couldn't use the creativity table so I'll have to edit this post the next time I have a child and tell how that works.

To mentor a child after they've 'grown up', there is a limited number of skills that you can mentor in once you've maxed the skills out.  The skills are:

Fitness
Gardening
Guitar
Handiness
Painting
Piano
Violin
Writing

None of the other skills can be mentored.

Do you definitely need to buy the reward? My musician sim had to mentor someone for his aspiration and he was able to do it with the skill maxed and no Mentoring reward.
[they/them pronouns please]

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 08:09:25 AM »
I can mentor children by doing the "encourage" interaction when they are at the activity table without it.

Offline jillz

• Origin ID: Charzof
  • Townie
  • Knitter. Gamer. Geek.
    • The New Adventures of Priska
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 01:40:32 PM »
I'm pretty sure that "Help with Homework" counted as Mentoring for that aspiration, but I'm not 100% sure.

Offline justproud2b

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 05:20:10 PM »
So far I have found if you have level 10 of any musical instrument when you are near a sim playing the instrument you can click on them and choose mentor. Still working on other ways to do it. The mentor reward the way I am reading it "Once mentors reach Level 10 in certain skills, the Mentor action becomes available and they can help other Sims improve their skills even more quickly!" I take that as the reward is a boost to how fast you help people gain skills.

Encourage (at the activity table) seems to double the speed. I was having a teen sim do it who has level 7 guitar.

Edit: The father came home and I had him do encourage and and it does indeed count towards the Successful Lineage Requirement. He also has the mentor reward which the teen does not and she was gaining almost %1 per sim minute.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 07:53:26 AM »
So far I have found if you have level 10 of any musical instrument when you are near a sim playing the instrument you can click on them and choose mentor.

But, here's the problem: I have yet to see anyone in Willow Creek voluntarily just whip out a guitar, or sit down at the piano at the nightclub. This is clearly not Bridgeport where half the town is on a street corner playing an instrument. I am trying to work on finishing the Musical Genius Aspiration and my guitarist is capped in the skill, but I figured that mentoring was like Fitness where the target Sim must already be engaged in the activity.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Dellena

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 09:15:23 AM »
Yes, they need to be using the guitar for you to mentor them.  The gym seems to be a popular hang out spot.  You could maybe seed the place with some guitars and hope to get lucky when someone picks one up.  Or temporarily get a roommate and make them practice the guitar and then you can easily mentor them.  Kick 'em out when you're done.  Think of it as an exchange student. LOL :D

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 01:46:31 PM »
The mentor reward the way I am reading it "Once mentors reach Level 10 in certain skills, the Mentor action becomes available and they can help other Sims improve their skills even more quickly!" I take that as the reward is a boost to how fast you help people gain skills.

Actually the mentor reward is for you to be able to mentor someone in skills you have not max yet.

Dellena

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 02:53:39 PM »
No, the mentor reward allows you to mentor someone when you HAVE maxed a skill.

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 03:05:11 PM »
Hmm, doesn't mentoring unlocks when you max the skill?  Like guitar, fitness, etc.  I don't believe i have bought any mentor reward on my max skill pianist and yet I can mentor someone.  Need to do more testing on this reward.

Offline callycat

• Occult
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 06:26:59 PM »
Hmm, doesn't mentoring unlocks when you max the skill?  Like guitar, fitness, etc.  I don't believe i have bought any mentor reward on my max skill pianist and yet I can mentor someone.  Need to do more testing on this reward.

Same here, I haven't bought the reward but I definitely have the mentor option on the guitar after maxing the skill.
[they/them pronouns please]

Offline justproud2b

• Occult
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 06:46:46 PM »

I have someone with the reward he still can't mentor people on skills he hasn't maxed. I was however able to mentor with a sim maxed in the skill and then once I bought the reward for them the person they were mentoring gained skills faster.

Offline Tigerskin

• Occult
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 06:53:29 PM »
You can mentor once you have maxed a skill - my male sim had to do it for the last phase of the Bodybuilder aspiration and he didn't have the mentor reward.

However I thought that if you purchased the reward, as long as you had a skill point, you could then mentor someone to begin learning the skill? It could be a bug if it's not working? I'll see if I can find out where I read that if someone doesn't confirm in the meantime.

Dellena

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 01:10:15 AM »
The skill reads:

Mentor
(From Rewards Store)
Once Mentors reach Level 10 in certain skills, the Mentor interaction becomes available and they can help other Sims improve their skills even more quickly!
Reward Trait