Author Topic: Profits from Gardening - A Quick Reference Guide  (Read 110949 times)

Offline melbrewer367

• Nooboo
Profits from Gardening - A Quick Reference Guide
« on: October 24, 2014, 03:07:03 AM »
Hey everybody! I recently shared a couple of guides on my simblr and over at modthesims with information I created using Carl's Guides so I wanted to be sure to share them here too!

I have been playing my current family as a "living off the land" type family that only makes money through fishing and gardening with gardening being the predominant source of income. There are several sites with guides on how long they take to grow, if they're rare or not, and which plants you need to graft together to get some special breeds. I've been using Carl's Guides he has here though. It's the most in-depth one I've seen so far. I have made an extra reference guide to use in addition to that one. On his he shows the base value of the plants and the amount of hours it takes for them to be fully grown and harvestable.

This sheet that I've put together is to determine which plants give you the maximum amount of money.

The method: 168 hours in a week divided by the amount of hours needed to grow and then multiplied by 10 because you can get up to 10 harvestable items at a time (10 items of the same breed when it has not had another item grafted onto it). That number you get is the amount of items you can harvest in a week. From there I just multiplied it by its base value.

For example, Grapes take 48 hours to grow which means you could harvest a full grape plant 3.5 times per week. You get 10 items when fully grown so you can get 35 items per week. 35 items at $33 each is $1155.

The flaws/other considerations: The prices vary according to skill and quality. Like the Pomegranate is listed as $18 by Carl Sims, $4 by Sims VIP, and in my game I currently have some at $9 (and now I've even gotten it up to $25). How high your skill level is, how well you tend to your garden, how well you fertilize and what you fertilize with, and how many times you've evolved your plant are all factors that contribute to the price set for your harvested goods. Also, if you harvest the plants too soon you won't get all 10 items. (When I'm not sure I have my sim harvest just one plant, check in my inventory how many they got, and then go from there.) So, this isn't exact by any means. It is good enough though, I believe, to at least accurately represent which crops are going to give you the highest pay out. Keep in mind too these numbers are only for one plant. So if you have a plant that could make $700 in a week and you have 5 of them you could make around $3500 in a week just from gardening those 5 plants.

These are listed from highest to lowest. I've only put them in multiple images because that's all I could screenshot at one time. There's no other reason for them to be broken up.

The fruits/veggies I've listed above and their prices are specifically for the ones you harvest and then sell through your sims inventory. When you sell straight from your inventory it is counted towards that individual sims earnings. This is helpful for the Wealth aspiration as you're required to earn a certain amount of money. That's why I focused on selling things from your inventory. However, you can make a lot of money from the bonsai bushes and cowplants if you go into build/buy mode and sell them that way which adds money to your account but not to your sims earnings.

Once your bonsai berry bush reaches the Excellent state wait and make sure you harvest berries from it first, then you can click on it and convert it to "Decorative Bonsai" for $25 then go to build/buy and sell it there for $425 (a profit of $400). For the cowplant berry, there's nothing to harvest so you'll need to make sure you graft a dragonfruit plant and a snapdragon fruit so that you can keep harvesting cowplant berries from there. Once you plant the cowplant berry it takes a couple of days to turn into a full Cowplant. Once it's fully grown you can sell it in Build/Buy mode for $475. So, in terms of just straight up adding cash to your bank account these two will definitely help boost your numbers quickly. Just keep in mind that if you are doing the Wealth aspiration (mine is since she finished her gardening aspiration) it will not help you reach your goals for that aspiration.

And just as an example as to how lucrative gardening can actually be, here is a screenshot from my game from my "living off the land" family. This is a kind of old shot by now and their bank account is in the $600,000s now with money only coming from gardening (on long lifespan)!

They had 20 dragonfruit plants, 20 blackberry plants, and 10 bonsai bushes and no cheating for money whatsoever. In the screenshot you can see I'm dragging the dragonfruits over to be sold. There are 222 dragonfruit and the amount of money I'm about to get is $38,047.

And in this shot I'm selling 273 blackberries for $32,987.

Hope this is helpful for you! If you have any questions just let me know!

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Profits from Gardening - A Quick Reference Guide
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 06:00:10 AM »
Wow, that's a lot of information! Thanks for sharing.  :)
I can't say that I love gardening enough in TS4 to live of the land, but you never know now that you've shown just how lucrative it can be!  ;)
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline melbrewer367

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 10:24:15 PM »
Wow, that's a lot of information! Thanks for sharing.  :)
I can't say that I love gardening enough in TS4 to live of the land, but you never know now that you've shown just how lucrative it can be!  ;)

Yea, it's kind of annoying at first and can be really tedious but if you stick with it you can do really well. The wife was the gardening one but as her garden got bigger I had the husband learn too to help. Now they're taking care of their 6 grandkids that are teens now and they're learning so they can help too because it's even bigger now. (Don't worry, the parents of the 6 teens are fine. It's just a story line. The parents got big time celebrity type jobs and moved to the city and the kids stayed behind to keep a normal life lol)

I even bulldozed Willow Creek park and built them a farmhouse there with an even bigger "farm" and their bank account is sitting around $700k. I'm trying to get them to $1mil before they die. I went in and built the house but didn't put any furniture in it. Then I had them buy it outright with their own money (they had around $550k), no cheats, filled it with the furniture from their old house, added on a bit more, and they still had over $450k when I was done. I was like HOW DO I SPEND MONEY??? I just want to blow through all their cash but can't! Plus the wife finished the Wealth Aspiration and now she gets that weekly interest and it's always between $20k-25k!

I like to imagine that this is just the main house and that just off in the distance is the actual farm where they have employees and everything because of how much money they're making with each harvest now. lol

Offline BzGoose

• Nooboo
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 10:36:44 PM »
This is awesome! I've been looking for something like this for a while without having to compose my own data (sooo lazy). Thanks for this tidy sum of information! 

Edit: Also, just curious, did you utilize any hybrids for your blackberry/dragon fruit crops? I've been hearing tomatoes have been a popular mix to increase the frequency of the two.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 11:05:26 PM »
melbrewer367, Your farm and your story are really incredible.  :o I love that wealthy aspiration. I've got a few sims with that in my legacy story and it's really starting to pay off.
Do you use grafting or are all your plants 'pure'?

<waves @ BzGoose, good to see ya round the forum  ;) >

Offline melbrewer367

• Nooboo
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 11:22:08 PM »
To answer both of you, no, I do not have any grafted/hybrid plants right now. I did earlier on so that I could have a wider variation because I also wanted to complete the plant collection. Now though, I have all of the possible plants and in the most recent picture I shared, the rows of smaller plants are just the dragonfruit plants and the blackberries. Then, the trees I have mostly for aesthetic reasons. They are the pomegranate, apple, and lemon trees though.

The blackberries and dragonfruit take the same amount of time. That's why I have those two. That way the can harvest everything at the same time and get one big payout every few days rather than smaller ones every/every other day.

Offline BzGoose

• Nooboo
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 11:59:30 PM »
The blackberries and dragonfruit take the same amount of time. That's why I have those two. That way the can harvest everything at the same time and get one big payout every few days rather than smaller ones every/every other day.

Do you find this method more profitable? From what I have assumed (key word here) about the grafting of say a dragon fruit to a tomato plan was that you'd get half your yield of the expensive crop, what it seems, in a quarter of the time. This would in effect, in unsubstantiated theory, double your output! Please correct me, as I've been speaking quite out of my behind on this matter. 

@Playlaot Figured I'd get myself involved, with such friendly people about! :D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline melbrewer367

• Nooboo
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 12:26:23 AM »

Do you find this method more profitable? From what I have assumed (key word here) about the grafting of say a dragon fruit to a tomato plan was that you'd get half your yield of the expensive crop, what it seems, in a quarter of the time. This would in effect, in unsubstantiated theory, double your output! Please correct me, as I've been speaking quite out of my behind on this matter. 

@Playlaot Figured I'd get myself involved, with such friendly people about! :D

You know, I'll have to test it out. I didn't really notice an increase in time when I did have grafted plants, though I do know I've read that happens. I'll graft just a few of my dragonfruits immediately after harvesting them and see if they end up being ready again before the other plants and if so how much sooner and then I'll come update!

Offline BzGoose

• Nooboo
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 12:58:22 AM »
I await your update with bated breath! Might do a bit of research of my own, if I can get the gumption.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 09:21:38 PM »
Really great chart~~!  Thanks so much for sharing it with us.  My very favorite way to play ANY Sims is by living off the land with gardening/fishing/collecting.  When my Sims have nothing much to do they do other things that might enhance their skill levels in those areas or just so they will have more paths to follow later on.  My Mom Sim was the gardener/collector/fisher and her hubby was the chef/mixologist/gardener helper who painted in his spare time to decorate the house and increase their wealth.  They now have more money than room in their house so a move is in order.

I love the farm you created!  I personally like having my plants lined up nicely as yours are with the main focus being on the outside rather than the house, although the house is quite nice as well.  I'd love to see more pics of your farmstead.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline melbrewer367

• Nooboo
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 04:30:30 PM »
I await your update with bated breath! Might do a bit of research of my own, if I can get the gumption.

I was hoping to come back with an update last night but my darn game crashed on me before I could get an answer!! It's only the second time my game has ever crashed though so I'm double checking recent downloads, clearing the cache and then going back at it today! I'll have an answer soon!

Offline melbrewer367

• Nooboo
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 03:13:11 PM »
Really great chart~~!  Thanks so much for sharing it with us.  My very favorite way to play ANY Sims is by living off the land with gardening/fishing/collecting.  When my Sims have nothing much to do they do other things that might enhance their skill levels in those areas or just so they will have more paths to follow later on.  My Mom Sim was the gardener/collector/fisher and her hubby was the chef/mixologist/gardener helper who painted in his spare time to decorate the house and increase their wealth.  They now have more money than room in their house so a move is in order.

I love the farm you created!  I personally like having my plants lined up nicely as yours are with the main focus being on the outside rather than the house, although the house is quite nice as well.  I'd love to see more pics of your farmstead.

I'm glad you like it! That's my favorite way of playing to and I go back to it often. I just recently added on a barn to my farm after seeing this tumblr post and being inspired. http://jenba.tumblr.com/post/100885901127/felt-the-urge-to-build-a-farm I built the outside of it pretty much the same but used my own walls that I created and did the inside up how I wanted.

The matriarch's painting stuff is downstairs and the patriarch's woodworking and mounted fish collection is upstairs.

They have about 85 small plants (dragonfruit and blackberries, and now 10 of them spliced with potatoes for the experiment to see if they'll grow faster with a quicker growing plant spliced in) and around 40 trees. Each morning the matriarch, patriarch, and their oldest granddaughter who will take over go out and tend the garden/harvest their goods.

Here's the most recent harvest of the dragonfruit.

It's $112,350 for 451 dragonfruits. I just got the "Rosebud Achievement" because they had earned $1,000,000. Still trying to actually have $1,000,000 in their bank account all at once though and they're sitting just over $800,000 right now.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 03:57:51 PM »
I really love your farm. It just looks so great!  :) What a cash crop! :P

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 06:06:18 PM »
I LOVE that farm!!  It feels cozy and sweet and just the place I'd want to raise a huge family, rl or Sims.  You've inspired me to do better both at building and at making my gardener Sims do better.  Are you doing a legacy with this?
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline melbrewer367

• Nooboo
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 09:32:51 PM »
I LOVE that farm!!  It feels cozy and sweet and just the place I'd want to raise a huge family, rl or Sims.  You've inspired me to do better both at building and at making my gardener Sims do better.  Are you doing a legacy with this?

I'm glad I inspired you! If we were several expansions in and there was even more CC to be downloaded it would be even more done up! I can get really OCD when making my sims in CAS and building their houses. In Sims 3, especially since we had CASt, I could easily spend hours and hours just building and furnishing their house all the way down to the clutter on their desks!

I am doing a legacy with them. I have it on tumblr: www.melbrewer367.tumblr.com (I didn't start my tumblr until quite a way down the road into my legacy so I'm playing catch up on my legacy posts right now so you won't see too much of the farming yet.)