Author Topic: Like system?  (Read 3801 times)

Offline justproud2b

• Occult
Like system?
« on: October 28, 2014, 03:49:09 AM »
Just curious on if this has ever been considered or would be. I've been noticing a lot of posts I'd like to be able say "good job" or "good info" but don't due to those feel like cheap posts and a waste of space. A perfect example of this would be the tons of stories I read on here. Unless I have a particular comment about a topic that happen I just usually don't post. A like system of some sort would allow me to press a button to show support without having to comment. I by no means would suggest a system with a dislike option as I don't like those personally.

Thanks for taking time to read this :)

Offline arimau

• Eau Lumineuse
  • Occult
  • Time changes people hearts...
    • arimau's Playground
Re: Like system?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 04:53:32 PM »
I know big bro. Some people just don't know how to say things, some fit into talking, some fit into writing, some just utterly speechless, some just don't want to hurt anyone, some just busy with real life, etc. I'd be a good idea to consider and that'd be making this forum more interesting with such feature. Because there are so many silent readers out there…

I have another proposal; instead thumb up icon, how about heart thing like what I saw in Tumblr ::)

I myself don’t mind tho because I do what I love, so it’s alright for me. But, dunno about others. But, yea! I have no rights for that. Just a suggestion… It’d add another value to this forum. But, need to consider about two-edged sword effect too.
Arimau's Playground
Life Sounds Like (Complete)
This Is I Promise You: Bad Day

"Whatever you are, be a good one" - Abraham Lincoln -
"Because out of the heart's store come the words of the mouth." - unknown -

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline imayu94

• Townie
  • I overcomplicate.
    • Sims Stories
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 11:13:25 AM »
I think I also like the prospect of a "like" system. Maybe as arimau suggested, a heart (or idk, a plumbob or something) can be used to signify a "like". That way, there would be no option to click a thumbs-down as with justproud2b, because they do add a bit of negativity to the forum.

Bascially it's people being able to say they like something without cluttering the threads. It's quite useful.
“With great power... comes great need to take a nap. Wake me up later.”

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 11:39:56 AM »
I think that having a Like button or something on that line would be great . I myself do a lot of reading on this forum but don't often post or do a reply as I'm always scared to not use good grammar or punctuation as English is my second language .  :)
Memories have no expiration date .
ladybug53's Studio

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 01:03:11 PM »
It sounds like a good idea. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar has been implemented on a Simple Machines Forum before.

Should we make who liked a post public or not, though? Such as hovering over the "Like" button also shows who else has liked it, or clicking it can expand a list of them or something similar. If it is possible, it would be nice to see exactly who likes what I posted.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline arimau

• Eau Lumineuse
  • Occult
    • arimau's Playground
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 04:18:50 PM »
I think I also like the prospect of a "like" system. Maybe as arimau suggested, a heart (or idk, a plumbob or something) can be used to signify a "like". That way, there would be no option to click a thumbs-down as with justproud2b, because they do add a bit of negativity to the forum.
Bascially it's people being able to say they like something without cluttering the threads. It's quite useful.

Yea, like iamayu said, Plumbbob also would be neat. I think variety of likes icon also will add more fun. Some people love different icons, like animal, Llama for example

I think that having a Like button or something on that line would be great . I myself do a lot of reading on this forum but don't often post or do a reply as I'm always scared to not use good grammar or punctuation as English is my second language .  :)

I agree too with ladybug, not my native language, afraid misunderstanding and unnecessary problem. We want a peaceful life and making friends not enemies :)

It sounds like a good idea. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar has been implemented on a Simple Machines Forum before.
Should we make who liked a post public or not, though? Such as hovering over the "Like" button also shows who else has liked it, or clicking it can expand a list of them or something similar. If it is possible, it would be nice to see exactly who likes what I posted.

Yea, related post would be neat. That’d even neater if we add category. So people will be easier to find which genre that they love to read.

But, some work to do as programming isn't my forte. We need Geeks and tech-savvy squad to do that.
Arimau's Playground

Offline _Annika_

• Immortal
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 07:50:21 PM »
If it is possible with the forum program, I would welcome a "simple" couple of buttons - a "like" button, and an "I found this useful" button. I don't think it should show normal users who clicks the buttons, but maybe for moderators, though I can't see why they would need to if feedback buttons are limited to positive feedback.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 08:02:28 PM »
The forum comes with a Karma system that allows members to accumulate praise from others. I'll talk about this with Pam, then the staff and see what we will do since it seems popular. I do like the idea that people who share great information with the Forum or help others could get a little insight into how people reacted.

Offline _Annika_

• Immortal
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 08:24:16 PM »
Would it also be possible to have a mentioning system @Carl, @Moderators, @_Annika_?

Offline justproud2b

• Occult
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 08:35:29 PM »
Would it also be possible to have a mentioning system @Carl, @Moderators, @_Annika_?

I'd like that since sometimes quoting people can cause tons of text. Also a nice notice I was mentioned to get my attention wouldn't hurt either.

Offline arimau

• Eau Lumineuse
  • Occult
    • arimau's Playground
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 10:20:26 PM »
Well, as ordinary folk, I just wish for the best. Thank you for listening to our petition, Carl and staffs. You guys rock!
Arimau's Playground

Offline KTK10

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 11:17:52 PM »
I think that this is a great idea too. Good thinking and it's great that Carl had the time to comment and listen to suggestions. Good thinking Justproud2b.

Offline chetanhaobijam

• Chet for short
  • Immortal
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 12:34:04 AM »
A great idea indded. A great way of expressing interest and satisfication without replying the post. I am also not good in English and sometimes cause grammar mistake while comenting and so I support the 'Like' system.
Chetan's Designs(my Sims3 Creations)

by Swirl~Girl

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 03:42:26 PM »
Just to say, I'm sorry I haven't run this by staff. When Pam is back from her hiatus, I will definitely be bringing it up. It would be nice to have the option to even sort threads by likes, so that the answer to a problem could be put up top.. although that might be difficult. Naturally, we'd want things to stay default - sorting by time posted... it'd just be really neat to sort that way. I'm not sure if it's even possible, but I'll look into if we end up implementing this system :)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 01:08:43 PM »
As you can see from the announcement, I did get the @mentions system implemented today. The like system is something we're still considering. To make @ actually functional given members already use it was a simple decision to make. Likes will add to the forum in a different way, and once implemented would be more difficult to remove given it will make a new section in the database.