Author Topic: Mixology  (Read 19219 times)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Mixology
« on: November 25, 2014, 07:03:32 PM »
Mixology is done. I hadn't touched the Skill aside from doing the Culinary guide, and I am very disappointed in it. I thought you could make tips, but I don't seem to be able to. I thought more drinks would have unique effects as well. As you can see in the Guide, I'm disappointed.. but oh well, other Skills are good. It's just too bad this one doesn't have some more interesting things going on. If I've missed something big about this skill, do let me know!  ???

Offline Zyffyr

• Townie
Re: Mixology
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 08:49:50 PM »
On the potential plus side, it being lackluster gives them places to add stuff later without making it overly valuable.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 11:51:11 PM »
There is one very special drink I've discovered:
 'Snaggle Fluster'. Which gives you a  Dazed +3 moodlet and it exponentially increases skill learning rate of any skill.

Explanation:

Snaggle Fuster is a drink that a mixologist can make after they choose to buy a potion book from a mystical hermit in a txt/work adventure/opportunity. It is a level 10 drink so you won't get this opportunity until your sim has L10 mixology skill. I didn't realize exactly what it was at the time so I didn't write it down but here is what happens when you drink it.

1. Smooth Sipping, Happy +1 (just like any drink)
2. Dazed +3, Snaggle Flustered. That Snaggle Fluster is wreaking havoc on *Sims name* tummy, but she feels like she could learn anything right now. 3 Hours.

It seems to exponentially increase skill learning rate... and I mean big time. You can nearly learn a whole skill level from one drink. The down side is your sim's bladder decays so fast that I now have them drink it sitting on the toilet as that way your sim can nearly last the three hour moodlet without peeing themselves. I levelled my sim up to level 9 in violin in one afternoon using these drinks non-stop. Trouble is I guess you can't guarantee that the work txt opportunity will actually come up for your sim.

It costs $50 to make and they don't go off. I had my mixologist make over 100 and they are still fully functioning and have not gone off and she's been dead for nearly a whole generation as her grandchildren are now drinking them to skill up.
Only teens, young adults, adults and elders can drink the Snaggle Fluster.

Note: it is possible to get the work opportunity and NOT get the special hermits recipe even though you opt 'to buy the book'. I had another sim who missed out! I've also had three other sims who are in the mixology branch for work and @ L10 mixology skill and they have never had the work opportunity come up, so I guess it is fairly rare.

*Edited: If you give your sim the Steel Bladder reward, then the bladder decay doesn't happen, making for pretty easy skilling.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Ciosa

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 09:10:38 PM »
A small correction on the Alien Drink:  The buff it gives is random, not energized.  I've had my interstellar smuggler-bartender serve quite a few, and every time the result was a different four hour buff.  Focused, (Alien Mind Meld, I think the buff was called), Inspired, Energized.  I'm guessing there's a confident type buff in there, too. 

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 04:37:41 PM »
Thanks for the information on both of those drinks, appreciate it. I've been away from the PC for days to celebrate Thanksgiving and get away from tech a bit. I'll edit in the information on Snaggle Fluster this week. I doubt I can grab that drink myself very easily given the randomness, but definitely want to mention it so people can get some more utility from the Mixology skill. I definitely miss the cheats to trigger random opportunities!

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 03:50:56 AM »
I'll edit in the information on Snaggle Fluster this week. I doubt I can grab that drink myself very easily given the randomness, but definitely want to mention it so people can get some more utility from the Mixology skill. I definitely miss the cheats to trigger random opportunities!

If you want to play the sim that I've got saved with the skill let me know with a PM and I can put the sim on the gallery for a short while... It certainly is a random opportunity, I've been trying for the last 10 days with another sim to even get the work opp, but no luck so far.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 07:45:43 PM »
re: Snaggle fluster

I finally had the work op come up again. Here's what the txt said:

Mythical Drink Guide
On an otherwise uninteresting day, an unbelievably old man with an unbelievably long beard walks into *name of sim's* bar. Under his arm is a dusty tome which the man says is a mythical drink guide that all the mixologists in town would love to get their hands on. He's selling it for a pile of Simoleons. Should *name of sim* buy it or not.
Buy The Guide $200.
Don't Buy The Guide.

After I bought the guide (of course) the notification came up:
It took a stack of cash, but *sims' name* is excited to find a new recipe in the drink guide that will impress his customers and hopefully give the business a jumpstart.

My sim got a modlet while still at work:

Inspired +2
New Recipe
(From Work Event)
Wow! That old book really stirred
up some inspiration!
8 Hours

It has only taken me two weeks of pretty solid game play to finally get the Snaggle Fluster... *Sims's Name* is not the only excited person in the room!!!  ;)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline DarkWalker

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 08:02:32 AM »
I'm not completely sure, but from the tuning files seems like the opportunity to learn Snaggle Fluster can only happen when the character is at level 9 of the Bartender branch of the Culinary career.
(Well, looks like it's the only opportunity that can happen at that level.)

Or, in other words, when level 10 is reached, the opportunity becomes unavailable. If that is true, the way to get it is to keep the sim stuck at level 9 until the recipe is obtained.

When the opportunity does happen, seems like high levels of Mixology and a confident mood help prevent it from being a scam.

@Playalot, do you remember which career and level your sim was when obtaining the recipe?

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 12:54:28 PM »
Yes, he is still at level 9, just... only one more day and he'll be level 10 of the career. He has level 10 skill though.

Boy that was close! It honestly is a really hard opportunity to get. I have played so many mixologists trying to get this opportunity it would make your eyes water!!
I had him drink an inspiration reward drink before work that day just out of frustration at him still not having the opp, that and other factors basically kept his mood at 'inspired' nearly the whole work day so I'm assuming that a sim would need to be 'inspired' for the opportunity to happen.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 05:33:49 PM »
@ DarkWalker, I think you're right. I kept my other mixologist who had level 10 skill (the drink can only be made at level 10) at stage 9 of her career by not writing the bar guide that you need for the next promotion. The very next day the Snaggle Fluster opp came up and bingo! She had the recipe. Awesome, certainly makes getting the drink very easy now I know the 'secret'!  :)

Offline dethdukk

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 12:00:18 AM »
Good to know about this.  I think I'll try to get this recipe on my Dynasty.
Knethen Immortal Dynasty
Double Time Dynasty Rules (A modification of the immortal dynasty)

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 03:56:34 PM »
*edited this has changed a little in the Dec 16 patch. You can make this drink at Level 1 now but still need to be focused to access it in the drinks menu*

Found another drink: The sim was focused when I clicked on the bar. First time round she became inspired while making it and the drink turned into a focused drink. Second time around she stayed focused the entire time and it turned out as this 'Amygdelight' drink. (My sim has completed the Master Mixologist Aspiration and is L10 a Celebrity Mixologist.)

Amygdelight L8 $100

When sims drink it the moodlet is:

Focused +2
Amygdelighted
(From Drinking Amygdelight)

*sims name* is feeling smart and
looking to learn. It's the perfect
time to work on something logical.

4 Hours.

@ Carl, I just wanted  to comment on this:

" Completing Master Mixologist will give you the ability to give Sims any of the positive Emotions for 4h at the cost of $1000 a pop. It's really not a good Skill, and until it's fixed (if it's fixed) I have little good to say about it. "

This is only my opinion so ... you know. But I feel quite differently about mixology as a skill. There are a few sort of hidden drinks etc that really do make a huge difference to game play. I think that mixology is more about skilling and not really about making money at all in The Sims4. As such I find it one of the more useful skills in the game. I think you may have missed the purpose of mixology as a skill with this comment. In my humble opinion! I know those emotion drinks at $1000 seem expensive but usually by the time you've got your sim or even family of sims to the point where they are maxing out their careers you have more money than you know what to do with. And while I don't use them all that often there are some careers/skills that they really give you an extra boost due to the 'Happy Sipping' moodlet stacking up on top of all the sims other ones.
I use Snaggle Fluster all the time and my sims skill up so quickly! And it looks like the "Amygdelight" does the same thing for logic that the Snaggle Fluster does for all skills.
Anyway, just some thoughts from a different perspective.  :)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 12:21:14 PM »
When I make edits to the skill page, I might remove that line given this new information. It seems with the career, you certainly can get some nice drinks that are not ridiculously overpriced. The cost isn't as annoying as the fact that those drinks still give the generic 4h buff.. if it were 8 or even 12, I think people would love them. If your primary moneymaker is the mixology career though, you'll be harder pressed to afford those $1k drinks unless you're in a family.. but the ones you can get from opportunities are definitely winners. I will note what DarkWalker said about sticking around at level 9 to help people with getting them.

Offline DarkWalker

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 08:19:25 PM »
I will note what DarkWalker said about sticking around at level 9 to help people with getting them.

Only Snaggle Fluster, whose opportunity apparently can only happen when the sim is at the level 9 of the Mixology branch of the culinary career. After that recipe is earned there is no reason to not advance the career.

That Amygdelight drink, AFAIK, is just the focused drink. From its tuning files the granted buff is a 4h, +2 focused moodlet, together with +2 to the effective level of all mental skills and a bonus to leveling programming, videogaming, rocket science (+25% each), and logic (+50%).

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 09:39:38 PM »
That Amygdelight drink, AFAIK, is just the focused drink. From its tuning files the granted buff is a 4h, +2 focused moodlet, together with +2 to the effective level of all mental skills and a bonus to leveling programming, videogaming, rocket science (+25% each), and logic (+50%).

So it does something different than just the ordinary focused drink?  Or does the ordinary focused drink give programming, video gaming, rocket science (+25% each), and logic (+50%) as well?

My mixologist, when focused, can make either the focused drink or the Amygdelight.
(Note: she doesn't need to be focused to make the ordinary focused drink but WHEN she IS focused she has the choice to make either.)

This is what the Amygdelight looks like:

anything