Author Topic: Photography Collection Guide  (Read 19926 times)

Offline Lisa46

• Watcher
Photography Collection Guide
« on: December 23, 2014, 01:30:51 PM »
Still Life - Almost all of these say what they are outright. Garden Decorations, just use those flamingos from buy mode. Objects will come up at some point there's not any method to it really. The only hard one is Nectar and Food. I got it by placing one single portion of Autumn Salad at a place on a dining table, putting one full bottle of nectar next to it and pouring one glass of another nectar bottle and putting that next to it also. It doesn't work if you put a tray of nectar glasses down - it has to be one glass.

Family & Friends - My Spouse, Family Member, Three of my Friends, Housemate, My Child, My Friend, Two of my Friends, and My Grandchild are all self-explanatory. Ghostly Family is a family member who happens to be a ghost, and My Main Squeeze is your girlfriend or spouse. Be sure that your photographer doesn't have a ghost spouse, because if they do My Spouse and My Main Squeeze are lost causes.

Everyday Moments - A Sim Gardening, Sim using a Computer, Someone Painting, Police Officer, Chessmatch, Mail Carrier, 4 Sims Eating, Kid playing with Toybox, Kid playing with Oven, A Sim Cooking, and A Sim Fishing are all self explanatory. Get more sims into your household to help you with these photos. Child Being Carried requires you to have a child and another adult to carry said child, plus it can be kind of tricky to get. A Sim in the Area, Two's Company, Three's a Crowd, and A Group of Sims all require certain amounts of sims. They should be easy when you walk around town. Try visiting bars. Make sure that none of your subjects are vampires or the photo won't work. Remedy for a Hot Day is sims getting drinks from juice bars. Lovers at Night is two sims kissing at night, generally outdoors. For Pizza Delivery, try photographing the guy himself. Maid at Work and Repairman on the Job require you to hire service people and watch their work. Babysitter is like this too, but you need a child in the home to do it. Firefighter can be acquired at the fire station with ambitions, otherwise just call one and live with the fine. Political Demonstration can be hard to get without UL, but with UL you can just stage a rebel protest. Photo of Photographer is hard. Pause the game and then have both sims take a photo. Then choose the one intended for the photo and unpause the game and then pause the game again and take the photo.

Home Sweet Home - All pretty easy. There are two home decor, I tried using an ambitions sculpture for the second one and that worked once but in this particular file I got it somehow and I don't even know how. Furniture will come up randomly but don't worry about it. Baby Stuff = a crib, Toys and Hobbies = two easels, Something Yummy = a plate of food, Gadgets Galore = a video game thingie, Cute Teddy Bear doesn't need explaining, neither does A Toilet, Kitchen Kitcsh = a coffee maker, A Party = balloons, Bathroom Stuff = toilet and hand towel or toilet paper and towels. Outdoor stuff is anything from the outdoor tab. A Nice Garden is next to impossible. Do it in either spring or summer, else it will not work. Then just swing the camera around and hope for the best.

Around Town - Simple and self-explanatory. Again Sunset Valley would be best for this but I'm nuts so I did it in Moonlight Falls. Only hard one is Police Car - good luck with that, but you can always just have someone do law enforcement career. I just happened to get lucky with it but I might've had to do that in the end. The Diner only works on the default base-game diner.

Travel - A Pyramid, Abu Simbel, The Great Sphinx, and the Torch of Anubis are all in Egypt. Dragon Cave is in China. Piles of Ancient Coins, Relics, Pushable Statues, Piles of Rubble, Floor Traps, Sarcophagi, Treasure Chests, Giant Boulders, and Floor Switches. Shower in a Can doesn't work if someone uses it, just put it down. Snake Charmer - you can purchase the baskets in Egypt, then just have a sim use it. Lovers in Egypt, Lovers in France, and Lovers in China are all just people flirting with each other in these locations. If it goes beyond that it becomes Get a Room. The soulpeace statue is found within the Sphinx, which is only accessible if you're cursed by the mummy or able to use tranquil transference or Zeneport from martial arts.

Oh, the Calamity! - One Sick Sim can be acquired by drinking Ad Nauseum. Soaked to the Bone is easy with Seasons but otherwise you will need a dive well in another town. A Social Worker - I would adopt a pet and wait for it to come. A Fight requires sims actually fighting. Make sure they are not friends of yours or it will be Two of My Friends. Slap Fights is similar. The Repoman requires you to forget a bill. A Thief - you need an actual theif to come by. Lots of luck involved. A Singed Sim - use the chemistry table from Gen until you get singed, then take a photo. Oh No, Snake! is a sim snake charming with a King Cobra.

Collectables - Just put these on the ground to photograph. Mercury Vial is just smelted mercury. Gold, Silver, Copper, Mummitorium (from WA destinations) and Iron should not be smelted. The gems - Opal, Geode, Tiberium, Quartz, Luminorous Gem, White Diamond, Pink Diamond, Rainbow Gem, and Topaz - shouldn't be cut when they are photographed. Space Rock is obvious. China Statue Set, Egyptian Statue Set, Dangerous Creatures Statue Set, Dropa Stone Set, and Canopic Jar Set will all take time to collect. Check the guide for information on how to get those sets. Magic Gnome - check the wiki page here - http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Gnomes - and find out how to get them.

Architectural & Buildings - General Hospital, Bookstore, Mausoleum, Sports Stadium, City Hall, and Town Theatre can all be acquired at home. Academy, The Market, and Chinese Garden are in China. French Market and Nectary are in France. Just head to the location and grab a picture. If you have Late Night installed, you have one shot to get a picture of the Nectary before it becomes a permanent Hotspot instead: go to France for the first time ever in your file, and get a shot of the Nectary before 5PM that day.

Paranormal - Resurrect 5 ghosts and get one human housemate for this. A Ghost is 1 ghost, A Ghostly Problem is 2 ghosts, Too Many Ghosts is 3 ghosts, and A Serious Ghost Problem is 5 ghosts. Make a cursed sarcophagus of the kings using the Evil trait, then create a mummy for A Mummy and Mummy Having a Snack. Kill the mummy (with fire) for Doubly Dead. My Dead Spouse and My Dead Enemy are both just ghostly versions of what they are. Wandering Ghost is just a ghost moving, and It's Haunted is a ghost haunting something. Death on Vacation will be hard, but you can always just drown one of your controlled sims in a pool. Simply Death is the Grim Reaper. A lot of the ghost photos for the Paranormal collection can be achieved at the Graveyard using the firework-setting-off-trick.

Best in Class - It has to be THE MOST expensive version of Expensive Stereo, Luxury Car, Fancy Tent, and Nectar Rack. The most expensive stereo can be found at the elixir consignment store. The Nectar Rack has to be completely empty of nectar for it to register. Garden to get the Money Tree. Omniplant is at the science center. A Limo can be acquired by being a 5 star celebrity or a high level business person. You get them at the later stages of the Showtime professions too (a quick way to get one of those is to find a homeless sim employed in a Showtime profession; often they're at the top or close). You could also try to catch it if you have a teen going to prom.
All of these people are at level 8 or higher of their career.  Superstar is musical superstar,  Supercop is law enforcement, A Top Chef is culinary, Chief Lifesaver is medical, Military Bigwig is military, Diplomat Extraordinaire is political, and Master Criminal is criminal.

Plants and Flowers - White Roses are called 'Semi Roses' in BuildMode and can be found under the Flowers tab. You can also find sunflowers there, but choose the sunflower with multiple heads and when you take the picture make sure the top head is facing you. Red Roses are the Rosey Roses. Hydrangea is also in there. The rest are fairly self explanatory, place the allowed lots in your file and you can get the WA plants easily. The produce carts are also BRILLIANT for this.

Sims in Motion Collection - You need a few housemates for these photos. Making Nectar, Running, Sim Making the Bed, Playing Catch, Sims Sparring, Fighting a Fire, Refreshing Swim, Board Breaker, Solo Dancer, and Sims Dancing (2 or more) are all easy. Pleading to Sphinx and Pushing Statue will be pretty easy, but you need to travel with another sim. Honing Body and Mind is a sim meditating or snake charming. Get a Room! is sims making out or further than that. Fighting Flab is a sim exercising. Dumpster Diving is a sim digging in a trash can. You can only do this if the home where the trash can is located is occupied. Great Tunes is a sim playing music.

Ambitions - You will need an inventor, a sculptor/stylist, and a child sim for this collection. Sculpture Garden is 5 or more sim-made sculptures (topiaries work the best), and Eccentric Collection is 5 or more inventions. Get your housemate on a trampoline and take a picture for Big Air. For A Makeover - get a stylist in the family, send them to the styling station with your photographer, pause, que up a makeover on one person and a photo for the photographer, then press play. It should work! It is similar for Getting a Tattoo, just use a tattoo machine instead. Get a photo of your level 8 stylist (or architect, or PI) for Top Brass. Have the kid sell baked goods with the baking table for Bake Sale. Have your inventor detonate something for Fire in the Hole. Send your sim to the Fire Station for a Fire Engine, then take a photo of the inventing bench there for Tools of the Trade. Tools of the Trade also works with sculpting stations, styling stations, drafting tables, etc.

Nightlife - You need one helper for this, and need to be in Bridgeport. Head to a Hotspot bar for A Hotspot, then go to the bar there for A Mixologist. Send your helper to play on the dart board for Bar Games, then have them drink a bit for Cocktails and start dancing on the table for Dancing Fools. (Bar games can sometimes work without the helper playing on the dartboard, just take a photo of the dartboard.) Celebrity Sighting needs a four star celebrity, and Vampire needs a vamp. Hopefully both will be at the bar, but if they aren't look around town. After all this, head home. Rocking out is your helper playing an instrument. Then get a small pool and have your helper skinny dip with a lover for SkinnyDipping.

Generations - You need a kid (you can always adopt a toddler) for these photos. Have the toddler play with their IF for Imaginary Friend, then age the kid up. Caught! is that kid pulling a prank and being seen. Have your kid throw a slumber party for Sleepover Fun, then have them play catch with a guest for Backyard Fun and pillow fight with a guest for Pillow Fighting.
Let the kid age up to YA, and then take a photo of Graduation. Get them engaged, then throw a bachelor party for Party Sims and Party Dancers. Have them try the chemistry bench to get For Science! A Wedding can be just a wedding arch.

Animal Kingdom - Buy a bird to get Pet in a Cage and Birdie. Then adopt one pet of each type, take photos for a Dog, A Cat, A Horse. Make at least two of those adopted animals babies for Baby Animals. Then take a photo of them all together for A Zoo. Then have another sim ride the horse for Horse and Rider. My Pet will fall somewhere in here, the only hard photo in this collection is a Deer so use that stray animal gnome to attract them and hope for the best.

Pets in Action - You need a rider, a cat, a dog, and an elderly horse for this collection. Cute Cat is a cat playing with a toy, and Clever Cat is a cat hunting something. Dog Tricks is a dog doing a trick and Tug of War is a dog playing tugofwar with a human. Teach a bird at least one language for Talking Bird, then wait until it dies for Dead Bird. Death Riding - when a horse dies, Death comes for the horse soul and rides the horse. Adopt an elderly horse. Have them do jumps for Show Jumping and perform the heroic pose action with a rider for Heroic Horse. Then let them die. Pet Cemetery is a pet grave, so once your horse is dead that will be easy.

Supernatural - You need one witch helper (in the fortune teller career) for this, one werewolf, one fairy, and you need to be in Moonlight Falls. Fortune Teller is a sim at level six of that career. Mystic architecture is the mystical place next to the moonlight falls library. ZOMBIES! is self-explanatory, just wait for a full moon and there you go. You can find Magic Mushrooms near the elixir store. They need to be harvestable. Have the helper buy an elixir at the consignment store, the  put it on the ground for Elixir. Your witch helper should then duel with a Crumplebottom sister for Spellcasting Duel, and your werewolf helper should play fetch with them for Werewolf Playing Fetch. Then make the werewolf howl for Howling Werewolf, and scratch furniture for Werewolf Scratching Furniture. Fairy Trick is pretty easy if you have a fairy. Magical Items is the bubblegum machine-ish thing.

Seasons - You only need one helper for this.  Rainy Day is an unknown sim with an umbrella. Aliens! can be attracted with lots of space rocks. Alien ships can also be parked on community lots (with rabbit holes) and will give you Aliens! as well. Horseshoes can be bought at home, and then play with them for A Game of Horseshoes. Wait until fall to get Autumn Leaves (they're everywhere) and Haunted House, which is at the fair. You can also get A Festival then. In winter, Snow Day! is a sim making a snow angel and Snowball Fight! is self-explanatory. In spring, Spring Dance King and Queen are both sims dancing at the spring festival. In summer, Fun in the Sun is a sim on a floaty in the water (head to the ocean), Serious Competitive Eating is a sim who has challenged another sim to an eating competition at the fair, and Water Balloon Fight! is self-explanatory. During any one of these seasons, throw a feast party or any other kind of party for Seasonal Party.

There is also some good info here: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Photography/Photo_collections

For Shutternut, I would recommend Around Town, Home Sweet Home, Animal Kingdom, Still Life and Plants & Flowers. Generations, Seasons, and Architectural Eye all work as well.

Edited multiple times for corrections and additions.

Offline ilafatutoo

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Photography Collection Guide
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 10:39:00 PM »
Thank you Lisa. I've been working on this challenge and your outline helped a bunch with some  I just could not figure out.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ilafatutoo

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 12:43:20 AM »
How did you set up for the bathroom stuff? I put a hand towel next to toilet, then above it and could not get it either way.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 02:11:34 AM »
Thanks for putting this together, Lisa. Here are some comments from me.

Bar Games worked with just the dart board for me.

If I had a toilet as one of the bathroom stuff items, it would never do it for me. I used toilet paper and towels for that one.

For me with collectables, it didn't matter of the gems were cut or not.

I've found that the stereo in the alchemy consignment store works for the best in class stereo.

I've never been cursed by a mummy, but I did somehow get the soulpeace statue once. My photographer was in Egypt and I was just pausing the game after I told him to take the shot and moved it around. At one stage it said soulpeace statue and so I snapped the shot.

For plants, I go around town and take shots of the plants in people's gardens. I also use the produce standard premium content and purchase the needed ones from there (overseas plants come up for sale in them as well.)

I've never had any luck in getting 'sculpture garden'. Can you provide additional information on how you got it? I've tried it with five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten sculptor made sculptures. I've tried with them made from the same materials, I've tried with them made of different materials. I've tried indoors and outdoors, I've tried away from everything and with things behind them. I've tried on the home lot and off the home lot. I've tried them in patterns and I've tried photographing them in different patterns. I've never been able to get it to work for me.

Which 5 collections do you find easiest to complete for that skill challenge?

I generally do 'Around Town', 'Home Sweet Home', 'Architectural Eye', 'Still Life' and 'Plants & Flowers' first, which means some travelling is needed for Architectural Eye.

I generally find Everyday Moments, Generations and Sims in Motion useful when needing photographs for dynasties.

Offline Lisa46

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 11:37:26 PM »
Hi Deklitch - thanks for the tips, I added in the info.

For Shutternut, I recommend Animal Kingdom instead of Architectural Eye. It is sooooo simple, but since I believe you have a full house in your dynasty it might be a bit harder - with a full house you have two animal spots and you need at least three. You can always put the pets up for adoption after using them though if that helps. The rest of your Shutternut ideas are exactly what I have used to complete Shutternut in the past. Generations is also not too hard so if Animal Kingdom doesn't work...

I tested the bar games thing and it works but is less consistent.

I have had toilets register before but in testing your combo was a lot better so thank you for that.

I have never once had a gem register cut, I have trouble with getting them to register as is. I guess it's just a weird bug.

Thanks for the tip about the stereo. All my photographers so far have been in families rich enough to afford everything but that's just because I like multi-generation games.

Never gotten Soulpeace Statue, you got super lucky. It's such a tricky shot.

I forgot to mention the importance of that cart! Best store purchase I ever made. I highly recommend it to everyone.

I've never had too much trouble with sculpture garden. Have you tried topiaries? They seem to work best for me.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 12:51:57 AM »
I don't have showtime, pets, seasons or island life expansions installed on my laptop which holds the files that are my immortal dynasty (and backups). So, sadly Animal Kingdom, Pets in Motion and Seasons are all no go collections for me.

For wedding, I've found that just photographing the wedding arch works.

Re sculpture garden. My most recent attempt at this was after making 5 topiaries, 4 of the penguins, 1 of the pandas. I have Gen 2 and husband both as sculptors, so they both contributed to the sculptures. I put the five topiaries outside and make sure nothing is behind them. I use a panoramic shot so that all five of them are in it at the same time. I go into the photography screen and pause the game. I make sure all 5 of them are in the shot, but all I get is the 2nd , I zoom in and out, I move the camera off them and back on them again, but all I get for them is the home decor  or objects shots (or nothing), never sculpture garden.

Offline Lisa46

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 01:47:56 AM »
I knew about the wedding arch I believe I wrote about that. I'm sorry that sculpture garden hasn't been working for you.

EDIT: I suppose Generations wouldn't be too hard to complete.

EDIT2: Have you completed Shutternut in your ID yet?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 03:41:31 AM »
I have completed Shutternut for the ID. The five collections completed were 'Around Town', 'Home Sweet Home', 'Architectural Eye', 'Still Life' and 'Plants & Flowers'. As I'm playing with no premium content, I had to travel to complete 'Plants & Flowers'. 'Architectural Eye' needs traveling regardless of expansion packs, I believe.

I just haven't completed Paparazzi as yet. I am still at 46 unique strangers photographed. But Gen 3 (photographer) is still a Young Adult, 10 days away from adult. House is still full, so I can't get her to have her daughter as yet.

Update: Paparazzi is finally moving again, up to 53 now woo hoo!

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 05:41:07 PM »
Good job! :D

A few notes from my experiences:

- A PI at the top of their profession/at least at level eight also will count for Top Brass. Actually, a lot of the subjects that involve a sim at the top of their career can be done at level eight of their career. Top Chef and SuperCop definitely can.

- Any Ambitions skill object will count for Tools of the Trade. Sculpting stations, styling stations, and (pretty sure) drafting tables.

- If you have Late Night installed, you have one shot to get a picture of the Nectary before it becomes a permanent Hotspot instead: go to France for the first time ever in your file, and get a shot of the Nectary before 5PM that day. After that, find a different collection to complete. Sorry.

- This is kind of well-known, but the Diner subject in the Around Town collection only works on the default base-game diner. Sunset Valley and Riverview have it.

- An easy way to get the Aliens! subject is to stalk community lots at night. Sometimes, an alien spaceship is parked at one. It seems to mostly happen at lots with rabbitholes on them. The ship counts for the subject.

- A lot of the ghost photos for the Paranormal collection can be achieved at the Graveyard. I know I've mentioned the tip about setting off fireworks in the cemetery to bring out ghosts, but I'll mention it again because it's the best way to get a lot of those pictures.

- If you need A Limo, you get them at the later stages of the Showtime professions too (a quick way to get one of those is to find a homeless sim employed in a Showtime profession; oftentimes, they're at the top or close). You could also try to catch it if you have a teen going to prom.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline Lisa46

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 08:31:11 PM »
Thanks for the tips!

I had that thing happen with alien ships once, and I thought it was a glitch! Great to know it isn't.

I was aware of the tools of the trade thing, I was just trying to provide the quickest way to get it. I was also aware of the diner thing. But remember, you can always add the lot to your town!

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 06:01:33 PM »
Regarding Nectary,

I placed the nectary in my homeworld, but didn't get around to photographing it before 5pm on the first day. Resigned to having to travel to get it, I sent my photography spare into the lower level of it to get some shots of things. Lo and behold, he was just aiming his camera to get a shot of something (treasure chest, I believe), and 'Nectary' came up as the subject. I was in that part of the nectary that you have to go through an arch way and can reach a relic from behind a secret door.

I've only ever previously tried to get nectary from outside.

Offline Blanchflower

• Occult
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 12:37:03 PM »
Have you guys ever come across the shutternut bug? When you travel, the counter count gets messed up. For example if you have 3 or 2 collections and when you travel and return home, the counter goes down to one or even 0. Maxis have not fixed the bug and even using Nras Traveler mod does not fix this.

Offline kusurusu

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 06:07:33 PM »
Have you guys ever come across the shutternut bug? When you travel, the counter count gets messed up. For example if you have 3 or 2 collections and when you travel and return home, the counter goes down to one or even 0. Maxis have not fixed the bug and even using Nras Traveler mod does not fix this.

That's because the (old) counter count of your home world sim isn't replaced by the (new) one of your travel copy (Sims don't travel!) once you return home.

Things you could do:
1) Complete every collection in your home world (counter count won't increase while abroad)
2) Reset travel worlds by deleting their nhd files/move to a new world (value gets recalculated based on actual collections)

Offline Blanchflower

• Occult
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 08:31:44 PM »

That's because the (old) counter count of your home world sim isn't replaced by the (new) one of your travel copy (Sims don't travel!) once you return home.

Things you could do:
1) Complete every collection in your home world (counter count won't increase while abroad)
2) Reset travel worlds by deleting their nhd files/move to a new world (value gets recalculated based on actual collections)

Thanks for the reply. For the 1st one, complete every collection in your home world, is impossible because some pictures can only be taken in World Adventures. For the 2nd one, where do I find the nhd files? Should I delete them before or after traveling? Secondly, did you test this issue? Does the value get unaffected by deleting these files? Also when you reach your travel destination and taking a few photographs, must you delete these files again before returning home so that the accurate stats will be registered?

Offline kusurusu

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 01:58:51 AM »
1) You don't have to take every single photo at home just the last one of every collection (e.g. Travel: take photos of landscapes/kissing Sims in China/Egypt France and then return to Legacy Island* with shower in a can/snake charming basket...).
2) Your nhd files are located in ...\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves\YourSaveName.sims3 and I'd be better if you delete them before traveling. Deleting them won't affect your Legacy Island Sim (you'd have to move to a fresh neighborhood if that counter already shows an outdated value) and you only have to delete them for accurate stats after you completed a collection in Legacy Island (or any other travel world).

*or any other world where your Sim lived before traveling

To understand all of this you probably have to know to traveling actually works in The Sims 3:
Case 1 (nhd file of your destination doesn't exist yet/anymore): A new nhd file is created and a copy of your Sim (with most relevant data) is placed in there
Case 2 (nhd file already exists): Sim 'travels' from A to B -> Data of Sim B gets replaced by data of Sim A (two versions of the same Sim - not two different Sims)
So, what does that have to do with your outdated collections completed counter? This counter belongs to the list of information which isn't transferred. Instead its value is recreated by browsing through your collections (case 1) or left alone (case 2).
And in this latter case happens what you call the shutter nut bug:
Sim completes collections in World B, travels/returns to (already existing) World A -> counter in World A still displays old value (and not just some random number) because it didn't get replaced by the new one from B.

anything