Author Topic: Decorating baked goods  (Read 3513 times)

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
Decorating baked goods
« on: May 23, 2015, 07:08:06 PM »
It seems that decorating baked goods doesn't actually increase their quality.  The baking guide says it does.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Re: Decorating baked goods
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 09:07:27 PM »
Hmm. Something must be up, I of course tested that, but I will see whether I completely flubbed it or something could be buggy!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 09:18:03 PM »
Could be a  current bug, but it isn't working that way now.  There's not much incentive to decorate them now.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 10:08:21 PM »
I try not to make assumptions about these things, though my methods lately have been biting me. I'll write within a notes document and gradually delete those notes as they are incorporated into the article.  I originally started this to make sure every bit I gathered made it into guides, but I have no reference point when things come up as changed, buggy, or flat incorrect.

The 'garnish' ability may have got confused here. It raises the quality of baked goods, and works across the skills. But I noted that this does not raise the price of baked goods for retail purposes. I've edited that out. Checked other guides, and see them saying it raises quality too. I don't reference these because I don't like to copy possible mistakes (which is also called plagiarism), so something weird happened :(

Just made a discovery for its purpose though. I can definitely confirm that if you're selling baked stuff, decorating raises the value a whopping 50% and we already know that excellent has a huge boost in value.  I can't get it to raise quality. I missed that fact, as in order to see a value for these you must go into buy mode and hold the item. You can then sell even higher on markup. Excellent fudge bars went from $93 to $139 - quite a leap! It makes sense that a pretty, decorated cookie will sell for more than a plain one.

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 06:47:39 AM »
That's a great discovery!  My Sim doesn't own a business, so I had tested whether it upped price on baked goods from the cupcake machine, and it didn't work.  Either I made a mistake, or it doesn't work on this kind of goods.

Edit:  Just tried it on some berry macaroons, and I can confirm that decorating them didn't raise their value when sold from home.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 04:46:43 PM »
Maybe it's only failing to affect the sell to local bakery interaction? I was able to get it to sell at a markup... I will reload my baker and see if I need to warn against wasting money if you want to sell them that way.

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 01:39:09 AM »
I thought I'd bring up one other minor detail.  In the guide you say you can decorate regular cakes, but the option doesn't appear for my Sim with the blue confetti cake or strawberry cake.  Did you mean only the regular cakes obtained with the baking skill?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 01:45:28 AM »
Grateful as always, when you guys have time i like to know little details I missed.

I'll edit that right now. I guess this one is just because the cake came from another skill. I guess you can only do birthday candles on the regular cooking cakes. Tested with a lava bundt cake, and it was able to be decorated but couldn't take candles. Seriously if it were my birthday, I'd way rather have a lava bundt cake. I've never even had one but imagine it's better :P

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 09:51:02 AM »
Seriously if it were my birthday, I'd way rather have a lava bundt cake. I've never even had one but imagine it's better :P
Me too, the lava bundt cake sounds delicious!