Author Topic: questions on get to work and get together  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Janna

• Watcher
questions on get to work and get together
« on: December 19, 2015, 07:58:39 PM »
I will be getting my new computer on the 23rd.  I am planning on buying one of the expansion packs.

I know that it is personal opinion, subjective, on the packs, what some like other don't care for.

But, for those who have both, do you need to have both to really enjoy the game?
I am thinking of getting the Together and Outdoor Retreat first, then the work later on.   Backwards I know, but the clubs sound so much like fun and I am tired of the rabbit hole jobs from sims 3.
My sims in the sims 3 were so busy working, doing wishes and opportunities for jobs and raising kids that they never had time to socialize, so it sounds like a good way to make friends and also earn some points (or whatever they are called   :)  ).

I will probably buy the game Sims 4 tomorrow, to have it ready for when I get the new computer.  Then next week get the Get Together expansion pack. 

Thanks for any info

Offline Bri

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: questions on get to work and get together
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 08:08:26 PM »
You don't need both expansions to enjoy the game, though I admit I'm one of those who got it for more content.  I admit that at the moment I'm having more fun with Get Together.

One thing is if you are buying the game, keep an eye out on specials.

I know if you get it on Origin, they have Sims 4 Get to Work marked down to $20, and the base game is $20 (a little more if you go for the Digital Deluxe version)
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,25354.0.html

So you might wish to check the Origin prices (assuming you don't pick up a physical copy).  Doing so, you could save a little money.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 08:23:31 PM »
Thanks Bri,
I buy the games and packs at GameStop so my son can get the points.

I'm impatient   :)  I have been wanting the game but knowing my computer couldn't play it kept me from buying it.  Will be getting the new computer on the 23rd, so want to have the games for when it arrives. 
Plus, I like to have the physical copies.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 02:23:08 AM »
I didn't 'get' Outdoor Retreat when I initially played with it but I now really enjoy whisking my sims off for a quick camping weekend. I also like a lot of content and will pretty much buy everything even if it doesn't really suit my play style as there is usually some build/buy or CAS items that I will use. Get Together is probably a good idea. In many ways I wish I was only starting to play TS4 now as it seems to me that GT has changed a lot about the game at a fundamental level. I'm having to relearn how to get the most out of my sims all over again. The world that comes with GT is absolutely a winner in my opinion. It is much larger than the original base game worlds and is stunning visually.

I also really like Spa Day, I love building in a modern style so the build/buy items are great for me. The animations are delightful and the wellness skill brings some great ways to get your sims into the 'correct' emotion for work etc.

Whatever you end up with, I hope you have many hours of fun Janna.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 01:16:42 PM »
Hi Janna and welcome to the forum.  In my opinion Get Together is very buggy right now and has caused me more problems than the other EP and SPs.  It can make playing very frustrating even though the beauty of the new town and the fun with the clubs IS a lot of fun. 

Personally, Get To Work is my favorite.  I love going to the different jobs with my Sims, especially the Scientist career.  That one is a pretty large area with lots to do and explore and interesting chores for the Sim to accomplish.  There are also quite a few other Sims at work to socialize with and maybe even can find a spouse there.

I fine Get Together a bit annoying at times.  Remember celebrities is Sims3?  Constant phone calls and being bugged to do this or that?  Well, you get a lot of that in GT as well.  Invite to this party or the other, congratulations on various things, spammed phone calls.  Then there is the bathroom issues where Sims can't shower or have queues dropped.  The newest issue is where the game does not recognize members as being members so you don't get the points for them.  I'll admit the things you can get with the points are fabulous and make the game play super easy in some ways.  The town and various areas and venues are really gorgeous, although the gym is really annoying in its layout and the library is a pain.  Some of the new townies are fun and a couple are super nice.  There seems to be more evil ones in the town though which I don't care for.

Even with the problems I think I'd get GT before Outdoor Retreat.  Hard call because OR has lovely scenery and I love camping.  There are new things to collect and things to do that are fun, plus the hidden area is always cool with the Hermit who lives there.  I really like OR.  Sigh........guess, bugs or not, I couldn't really enjoy the game as much if I didn't have them all.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 01:35:42 PM »
Go with whatever is on sale. I have everything now, and although I could do without the stuff packs, the two game packs and xpacs are so much a part of my game that I don't know which I could live without.

Outdoor Retreat -- pretty world and camping equipment.
Get to Work -- aliens, jobs, and running your own store.
Spa Day -- yoga!
Get Together -- gorgeous world, clubs, and texts from other sims.

My feeling is that you'll enjoy whatever you get, so go with what's on sale. :)
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 05:24:21 PM »
Thanks for the input. 
Had to take my computer to BestBuy, it arrived damaged.   :(   Ordered another one, somewhat better and it will be Jan 4th when I get it.  This time delivered at the store.  Will open it and check it out before I bring it home, then wrap it up like a baby swaddled and with pillows to keep it safe.    ;D

The new one cost me quite a bit more.  Warranty was almost $200, don't know it if was smart to get an extended warranty or not. 

Will order the games tomorrow anyhow, too good of a deal to pass up.  Good thing we will be getting extra money while hubby is on WC for his shoulders so I can splurge.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline meubanks

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 07:27:14 AM »
Both of the expansions add a lot to the core game play, and I would heartily recommend both when you can afford them. Of the active careers, scientist is fun and the inventions can really change the way that you play the game. Cloning machine. Nuff said. I find the other two careers to be boring and repetitive, but some people really enjoy them. Actives careers do not work as well with large households, so if you play more families, your mileage may vary. The pack also adds aliens, which is enough to sell it for me, but it depends on personal tastes, of course. I haven't really played much with the retail options. The cheapest prefab store is around 70k, so you can't really afford in one in the early game, and I never had much success trying to make my own. I probably will try to explore it more eventually.

Get together is also a great pack. Clubs are awesome, and if used properly they can have positive impacts on nearly every aspect of game play. Properly designed clubs can give substantial boosts to skilling, and can even make your job promotions come quicker through an un-lockable perk. The new social options basically convert the friend of the world aspiration to easy mode. I had my doubts about the pack when it was announced, but I can't imagine playing without it now.

Both of the game packs are worthwhile, and contain almost an EPs worth of content at a bargain price. They are much more focused though, so play style will definitely impact their value. Of the two, Spa day is the pack that most broadly impacts core game play. I basically have a yoga mat in every household now because wellness is so useful for generating moods.

The stuff packs are all skip-able, if money is an issue. I find myself buying more of them than I did in the past games. They are cheaper than they were for TS3. If you can only afford 1, the movie pack is my favorite, the kitchen one is my least. 

I'm a sucker for build mode items, so no matter what I'll eventually wind up buying the things. :)