Author Topic: The Secret Time Traveler  (Read 22210 times)

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
The Secret Time Traveler
« on: September 26, 2016, 02:06:20 AM »
The Secret Time Traveler - Prologue

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Under subdued skies nestles a small eerie Victorian town that looks positively charming when blanketed by snow.  However, on the outskirts, there is a lot that could never be considered appealing even under the deepest snow. 

But Grim’s Ghastly Manor is much more than just a graveyard.  Like Pandora’s Box, it offers hope.  You just have to seek it.  Many a Sim has sought out the Grim Reaper to compete for the prospect of another chance.  At the Door of Life and Death, Grim has been the final arbiter of all the Sims and when moved to do so, has bestowed Sims with alternative options to death. 

One winter a ghost appeared before the Door of Life and Death.

“You!  Again!  Seriously!” thundered Grim.  “It’s high time I got to the bottom of this.  I decide who lives or dies!”

The ghost cowered visibly before Grim’s rage.  Aware he was frightening the trembling ghost, Grim asked softly if she would join him in a friendly game of chess.  Grim had remembered that this was the best strategy to put this particular ghost at ease.

The timid ghost sat down before the chess board with Grim who chatted in a calm and reasoned manner as he listened to her story.  This time it took three games before Grim heard the full story.  The timid ghost won every game as she always did.  As usual, Grim was pleased with her.  But his duties being what they were, Grim needed to be elsewhere so he asked her to stay for a while and practice for their rematch.  Accepting that Grim’s work kept him busy, the ghost Sim simply practised her chess as she waited for Grim to reappear.  It’s not like she had other things to do with her time.

As she practiced at the chess board, the ghost Sim felt odd tingling in her fingers and toes.  Next came a sensation of falling, not onto the floor at her feet but through the floor into the catacombs below. 

Gathering herself she looked about but was startled to feel something she had not felt in a long time, the beating of her heart.  She had been transformed back into a corporeal being.

“My child,” Grim’s disembodied voice echoed throughout the catacombs.  “The actions that brought you within my sphere of influence were unjust.  While I investigate the cause of all your problems, I have a mission for you.” 

The ex-ghost closed her eyes and sighed in dismay as Grim continued.  Someone always wanted something from her.  “There is too much sadness and loneliness in the Simverse, so I am sending you all back to different towns to meet Sims whose lives lack something.  A special someone.  For your own good, I must erase all your memories.  You will remember your mission only as a vague wish.  Good luck.

“All?” queried the ex-ghost, who, suddenly aware that she was no longer alone, opened her eyes. 

She was even more shocked to see that her companions were replicas of herself.  Then one by one they disappeared.  As she felt her body teleport, she couldn’t remember why she felt so cross.

Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Offline experience

• Occult
  • If you pity a snake, you're bound to get bitten.
    • Nolan M Cruz
Re: The Secret Time Traveler
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 08:58:04 AM »
All right, bring it on! I usually don't read many sims stories, but this one has got my attention. Looking forward to see where it goes, Magz.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Nimrod Mikkusu

• Townie
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 01:19:30 PM »
The fairy is split into four (or more?) copies, and the four copies go to different towns that represent four (or more) different time periods. The four copies of the fairy all lead different lives and marry\help different Original Townies, changing the fate of the Sims 4 premade worlds. Except Midnight Hollow (if I'm not mistaken?) since that was the world the grim reaper and fairy were already in.

Offline Cheezey

• Immortal
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 02:04:34 PM »
Cool concept! I can't wait to see what sims are going to get help finding that special someone.  I wonder if there are any ill effects from her being split like that, or if she will ever get her memories back.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 01:09:41 AM »
Chapter 1 - Time to Go

Some years ago – never mind how many precisely – having little or no friends, and nothing particular to interest me in Sunset Valley, I thought I would wander about a little and see the different parts of the Simverse.1 But before I could do so, something extraordinary found me.

I go by many names but most of you know me as Gobias Koffi.  Most people think I’m either a bumbling idiot or just plain creepy.  I rarely get used in a forum story where I’m the good guy or the protagonist.  But I’m not offended, I prefer it that way.  It keeps people at a distance which enables me to keep my secret.

And as so often happens when you lead a double life, everything was going along amazingly well, then wham!  My wonderful life got wrenched away and I had no understanding on how to deal with it.  There wasn’t anybody I felt I could confide in.  Nobody would have believed me.  I guess I must have muddled through somehow.  But just when as I was beginning to get a handle on things, I was broadsided again!

What were the chances right?  Of all the towns and all the worlds, she had to walk into mine!2  Now, not only do I get to see the Sim who was my wife happily married to someone else, but I have to watch my children call the other guy “daddy”.  That hurt especially losing my beautiful daughter.

But I have to let it go.  That’s my cross to bear with being a secret time traveller.  To make things harder, we didn’t even get divorced.  I just got sucked back through the time vortex.  I don’t mean the Wellsian Time Portal that takes a Sim to Oasis Landing, I wish it was that simple.  I mean the bright swirling vortex of mist and sound and electricity that is a wandering time vortex that just finds me.  I can’t outrun it and I can’t avoid it.  Even though I can’t predict it, now that I know what to look for, I can always hear it approaching.

While I can’t control it, I know of its arrival from the buzzing in my ears.  When the buzzing begins I have only minutes before an appalling headache develops.  Then it rapidly escalates, my legs feel like they have turned into jelly, then I begin falling...and zap... I’m in another place and, more often than not, in another time.

The first few times this happened, I was only transported for a few seconds:  really only long enough for me to realise that I wasn’t in Sunset Valley anymore.  Then I was sucked back into my house.  I thought I’d suffered from a migraine.  Except I began to realise, that I had been at Stony Falls or at the Park when my legs turned to jelly and then five minutes later, I find I’m in my own house feeling awfully sick.  It was some weeks later that the time I was transported away began to increase.  Unfortunately, there was no real correlation between the length of my stay in another town or time, the frequency of the vortex’s arrival or how long this had been happening. 

There was really no set pattern.  Except, whenever the vortex takes me to another town or another time it always returns me home to Sunset Valley, eventually.  Sometimes I am in the other place or time for only an hour or two.  Other times I am gone for days, weeks, months or even years.  But here’s the weirdest thing.  I may have been transported to another place and dumped there for years but each time, when I am returned to Sunset Valley, although I have aged in real time, only five minutes have elapsed from when I was initially transported.3 Using potions or elixirs I can reset my age to what the Sunset Valley Townies would expect.

Initially, I was terrified of these events and of being on my own in a strange place or time.  Eventually I got used to it and began to treat the trips as adventures.  Never knowing how long I was to be exiled in these odd locations and times, I endeavoured to educate myself, becoming something of an expert of history, so I didn’t make blunders that would draw unwanted attention to me.  I also needed skills to earn a living or to keep myself from becoming an oddity.  Law enforcement, especially medieval law enforcement, frequently suspected strangers of criminal activity or witchcraft.  So until backpackers came along in the 20th century, a foreign student abroad or a painter were the perfect disguises whenever I was sent back in time.

I learned painting in Florence, becoming a student of a renowned painter and sculptor who also dabbled in alchemy.  I made friends among my fellow students, including a man I’ll only refer to as Leo.  He became a brilliant painter and sculptor.  However his side fascination was with inventing.  I guess I helped a little bit with that.

I learned enough cooking to help out while rooming with two fellow painters in Arles in the south of France, both of whom gave me a painting each as gratitude for their not starving to death.

Not all my trips have been to the distant past.  When I was sent to present day locations I’ve worked at whatever took my fancy.

How did it all began?  I really don’t know but I think this all started after I began to dabble in invention as a young man.  I had always been interested in learning new things.  But invention was different.  I made useful things as well as knickknacks and oddities.  I did discover how to build a type of time machine.  But trips in that particular time machine were mostly just harmless fun.  Things really went pear-shaped for me after I created this odd toy.

Shortly after that was when the first time vortex found me.  Irrespective, these trips which began as terrifying, then adventure and enlightenment, have now become a tremendous nuisance.  These episodes are a huge irritation because I have to maintain detachment from other Sims in Sunset Valley.  Fortuitously EA created a bunch of Sim traits that would keep others at a distance.  I opted for just about every trait opposite of my true self that I could get.  But it’s become a real drag for me to act accordingly.  But as those traits work to keep others away, I really shouldn’t complain.

Sunset Valley had always been my refuge.  It’s where I could recharge my batteries before being sucked back through the time vortex.  Also it was where the only family I knew could be found, my father Gaylord.  He doesn’t even know my secret.  It’s not something I feel comfortable telling him. 

This last winter has been hard, very hard for me.  It’s been nearly twelve years since the last time the vortex transported me, which is the longest gap I’ve ever had.  As I’ve never had any indication that the time vortex is nearby until the buzzing, I am uncertain if this is all over.  I’m hoping it has finished playing with me.  But I just don’t know.  Either way, it is time I moved on.  I need to get away from Sunset Valley. 

Primarily because, last summer, my beautiful daughter Hope now a teenager, has begun to seek a friendship with me.  She says I remind her of her real father who she remembers with great fondness.  I have to leave in case she discovers the truth and ruins what has become a wonderful life for a Sim family that I truly care about and respect.  Also because Hope, whose pink wings and blond hair reminds me so much of her aunt, the only Sim I think I have ever loved with all my heart. 

1  Paraphrased from: Melville, H., (1851), Moby-Dick, Harper & Bros, New York

2  Paraphrased from Benner, M & Allison, J. (1942), Everyone Comes to Rick’s, unproduced stage play (made into film classic Casablanca by Warner Bros.)

3 idea taken from King, S. (2011), 11.22.63, Hodder and Stoughton, London

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline Nimrod Mikkusu

• Townie
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 08:54:11 AM »
So wait, Gobby is the secret time traveller?  ;D ??? Although the Koffi Family is based on Arrested Development  :-X Then that means the fairy, must be Gobby's wife or sister-in-law.

Offline Banana Bender

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 11:46:53 PM »
Nooooo.  Gobias couldn't have been Elias Kalamia!  He died!  Am I confused or is this not a sequel to Islands of Sunset Valley?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Cheezey

• Immortal
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 06:22:26 PM »
Aww, do people really think Gobias is creepy? He's always struck me as quirky, but not necessarily in a bad way. 

It's cool to see him in a story like this.

Offline Nimrod Mikkusu

• Townie
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 10:47:45 AM »
Yeah. Usually I just let him marry and have kids via SP, and those kids and grandkids become their own characters and I don't "theme" them after Arrested Development. (Often I don't "theme" them at all, just dress them in fitting outfits and stuff) If and when I play him (or the Koffi family in general) or the sims I play have many interactions with him, I may just change the theme - Once I renamed him to Gale Ao, making his surname Ao but Gaylord's surname - and the household's name - still Koffi. Ao is a japanese word for both blue and green, since my makeover of him kept his blue eyes and gave him dark green hair.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 02:27:25 AM »
Chapter2 – Memories

Although it was nearly 30 years ago, I remember it like only yesterday.  I had once again been sucked through the time vortex and found myself on a deserted stretch of beach.  I immediately went into my standby mode of trying to find where I was and in which time period.  The first Sim I met was a fairy wearing a military styled outfit reminiscent of the 1950’s.  Tall, dark and handsome, he introduced himself as Leonidas Kalamia.

Thinking that I’d been dumped somewhere in Greece, I introduced myself as Elias Stavros, the first Greek sounding name I could think of.  Shaking his hand, I quickly cast my memory over critical events of 1950’s Greece.  All that came to mind was that the Greek Civil War would have ended, there were quite a lot of earthquakes (several quite severe), and the mildly unstable reign of King Paul I should continue until about 1963 or 1964.  I had not much to go on as we were standing on a fairly deserted beach and I could see no signs that would indicate my location or time period.  Looking at the water it was nowhere near as blue as I’d expected either the Aegean or Ionian seas to be.

I told Leonidas that I had only just arrived and would he recommend a place to stay.  When he asked how long I was staying, I said that I wasn’t sure yet.  He advised that there weren’t any hotels or resorts in Moonlight Falls but that there were plenty of houses for sale or rent including a cottage across the road from his home on Wood Street.  As he was returning home himself he said that he’d show me the house.  I went with him to take a look. 

As we drove to Wood Street, he told me that he was married with two daughters.  I replied that I was single and had never married.  He was certainly friendly and talkative.  While I was disappointed not to be in Greece, I had never been to Moonlight Falls before either, so I was not unhappy about my destination.  Located in the Pacific northwest, the town was built with the Supernatural Sim in mind.  The town and its community were specifically designed for fairies, witches, werewolves, vampires and ghosts.  I’d read that there were few human Sim families in the town.  While I’d met many vampires and ghosts before, this was to be my first experience with fairies, witches and werewolves.

Leonidas parked his car in his driveway.  He pointed to the house across the road which was available.  Together we walked over to take a look.  It seemed a nice cottage with a garden.  As one of my standard occupations whenever I found myself in the present time, was to become a self employed gardener, I remarked that the house would do nicely as it had a garden.  Leonidas told me his wife was a green thumb and would gladly give me some plants to replace the poor quality plants on the property.  He asked me to drop by any time after 1:30 p.m. when the plants would be ready for harvesting and I could help myself. 

I thanked him and immediately rang for a taxi to take me to City Hall to enquire about the house and registering my new occupation.  I asked the town clerk for a list of all community lots in the town and was delighted to see a lot I particularly wanted.  Barney’s Salon and Tattoo had a franchise in the town, so I stopped there on my way back to my new house for a quick makeover and wardrobe change.

Promptly at 1:30, I went to see Leonidas.  At the door a cute auburn haired fairy child directed me to a large greenhouse at the back of the house.  Leonidas himself was there fertilising the plants.  He told me to harvest as many plants as I wanted to establish my own garden.  All the plants I could see were of perfect quality, so I asked him if he was sure.  He explained that his wife had long ago achieved her lifetime wish of a perfect garden.  He was an alchemist himself and used the plants in elixirs but had plenty of stores.  I thanked him enthusiastically for his generosity.  He stayed to talk as I harvested the plants.

Leonidas explained that his family was originally from Sim Kosmo and had only moved to Moonlight Falls recently.  He chatted on about his wife and daughters.  The elder daughter so like his wife Deborah, and the younger, very like his own mother, Lenore.  I could tell he was especially proud of his beautiful and clever daughters.  Leonidas then said his elder daughter was having her young adult birthday that evening and asked if I would like to join them.  I thanked him but declined.  I believed that the coming of age was a wonderful time for a young girl and I speculated she wouldn’t want her father’s new friend intruding on the auspicious occasion.  When I had harvested all the plants I wanted, I again thanked Leonidas for the vegetables and left.

I spent the remainder of the day planting vegetable patches with the perfect plants.  Tired, sweaty and hungry when I finished, I noted that there was no party going on across the road, so I was glad that I had not intruded on what was obviously only a family occasion.  The next morning I tended my new plants then set off to fully explore the town.  It was at Aleister’s Elixirs and Sundries that I saw the most beautiful fairy.  She looked up from the Alchemy book she was studying and smiled at me.  I was captivated by her smile and intrigued when she walked over to me.  What followed has been etched forever in my memory.

“Mr Stavros?” she asked tentatively.  I nodded dumbfounded.

“I saw you tending your new garden earlier.  Did you get all the plants you wanted?” she asked.  She seemed to know an awful lot about my activities but I had no idea who she was.

“I’m sorry,” I said, “I didn’t catch your name.”

“Charity Kalamia,” she said mischievously.  Holy wow, I thought.  This was Leonidas’s elder daughter who had the birthday yesterday.

“Happy birthday for yesterday,” I said feeling tongue tied and awkward.

“Thank you.  Have you always been a gardener?”

“No.  I’ve had a few careers but I like gardening.”  I really did enjoy learning new skills and fortuitously, they had become essential to my survival as I travelled between worlds and times.  As I could never predict how long I would be dumped in any one place, I often took different jobs.  I achieved my own lifetime wish for Jack of All Trades because of those unorthodox side trips.  As I don’t know which place or which time in history I will find myself in, gardening has been my most used skill when I end up in the present time.  Finding special seeds has netted me a fortune from money trees and special seeds have also provided me with the Life Fruit which is essential to my survival.  Ambrosia works well but Alchemy elixirs and chemistry potions are my lifesavers.

“Really, how interesting.  What career would you most recommend?”

“I think that depends on the Sim and the skills you want to develop.  What do you want to do that you’ll enjoy doing?”

“I want to have lots of children,” she replied wistfully.

“Well as a fairy, I’m sure you’ve lots of time ahead of you for that.”  My heart sank.  She would pick a nice young male-fairy to marry and could pop out nooboos for the next 200 or more years.  I’m not sure why I felt so acutely dismayed at that thought.

“That’s what my mother says.  Are you married Mr Stavros?”

“No.  I have never found someone who wanted me,” I replied.

“Are you sure that she didn’t want you.  Did you ever ask?” she asked guilelessly.

“Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that I haven’t yet met anyone who I was ready to make that commitment with.”  Actually I’d begun to think that I should not marry because of the complications of the time portal.  Disappearing for five minutes wasn’t the problem, returning after five minutes with a different set of life experiences, may be difficult for a wife to deal with.  I have also gotten used to deferring to no one and not having to consider what my partner would want when I make important decisions.  I think I would find that hardest of all to give up.  I had never found anyone who I was willing to make those necessary adjustments for.

“Perhaps, you’ll find that special someone here in Moonlight Falls,” she said as the clock in the corner of the room chimed the hour.  “I’m really sorry I have to go.  I promised Faith I would take her to the Festival.  It’s been a pleasure talking to you Mr Stavros.  Enjoy your stay in Moonlight Falls.”

To say that I was left standing there with my jaw hanging open and smiling like a besotted idiot would have been an understatement.  I think from that moment on, I fell head over heels in love for the first time in my life.  I was enchanted.  I was also realistic.  At no time did she intimate by word or gesture that she’d like to be that special someone I would be willing to make adjustments for.  She was a mere slip of a child, newly adult certainly, but still childlike.  I was twice her age and not so foolish to think that she would find me ideal husband material or father material for those nooboos she yearned for.  Besides Moonlight Falls was her home but not mine.  Anytime soon I may get sucked through the time vortex back to Sunset Valley.  I vowed at that point to immediately come back to Moonlight Falls and find the beautiful Charity Kalamia.  Maybe then, things might finally work out for me.

Over the next few weeks and months, I was sure that I had been right.  Charity wasn’t interested in me as anything but her father’s good friend.  She started a career in the music industry and dated all the eligible bachelors in the town.  I become BFF’s with all the Kalamias in time and regularly was invited to their rare parties.  My stay in Moonlight Falls was longer than I had ever been away before.  I began to wonder if the time vortex had given up on me and intended to strand me here forever.

I thought I’d heard the buzzing of time vortex once or twice during that time, but the blinding headaches never developed.  I did see the strangest thing once.  Another Sim in the town, either a new arrival or a tourist, clasped his hands over his head and fell to the ground.  He then completely disappeared leaving a shadowy wispy form on the ground that dissipated like ghosts do after sunrise.  I wondered if I’d just seen a fellow time traveller getting sucked through the vortex.  I waited the five minutes but he didn’t reappear.  If he had been a fellow time traveller, maybe Moonlight Falls wasn’t his home town either.

I was still stuck in Moonlight Falls when Deborah Kalamia aged up to an elder.  I saw in reverse what it must be like for a long living fairy to marry a human.  I was also still there to see little Faith age up into a beautiful teen. 

Exchanging her long braids for short curls, she was every bit as lovely as Charity although not as lighthearted or as naturally engaging. 

My chess partner for the past few years now sought out my company to jam with her to increase her music skills. 

Charity would join us after work to give pointers to Faith about finger placement or chord structure.

When Faith aged up to a young adult and went to work as a Cook, I was surprised.  As she’d already maxed out her lifetime wish to be a One Sim Band, I expected her to follow her sister into the music career.  But no, she loved to cook more and I became her willing test subject.

Not long after that Deborah Kalamia died of old age.  Leonidas, my closest friend was inconsolable.  I tried my best to be there for him but I could do nothing to diminish his grief. 

A short time later Leonidas heard that his own mother in Sim Kosmo was also gravely ill and returned to Sim Kosmo to be with her.  Both Leonidas’s daughters preferred to stay in Moonlight Falls.  Unfortunately Charity began to turn a little unpredictable.  I believe in an effort to suppress her grief, she began clubbing, dancing at the various nightclubs till the late hours whenever her work schedule permitted it.  At Faith’s insistence, she and I set up a schedule of who would accompany Charity to these sometimes less than satisfactory venues to watch over her.

Regrettably, it was on my watch that Charity met a new wizard in town, Myles Kyrios.  He was indeed charming but in a smarmy kind of way.  He too was captivated by Charity but I was astonished to see her dance with him.  Usually she was more discerning about her companions on the dance floor.  Myles asked me if I minded making us all a cool drink.  I acquiesced.  While making the drinks I observed her interactions with him.  I deduced that while she wasn’t averse to his attention but she wasn’t encouraging him either.  I knew just about her every mood.  She was being polite and careful but not playful.  I secretly applauded her excellent manners. 

Myles came over to take one of the drinks and told me I wasn’t needed anymore.  I told him that I would stay as long as Charity wanted me to stay.

I took a drink over to Charity who said that we were leaving just as soon as she came back from the restroom.

I saw Charity talk to Dahlia Goodfellow at the top of the stairs.  I thought nothing of this as women often seemed to go to the restroom in pairs.  But Dahlia then walked over to me and asked if I could make her a refreshing drink too.  I said that I didn’t mind.  Dahlia chatted as she drank her drink and then left.  I noticed that Myles must have left while I was distracted by Dahlia’s chit chat.

Immediately I went in search of Charity but could not find her downstairs.  I asked another female patron who I knew, to see if Charity was hiding in the restroom.  My friend came out and reported that the restroom was empty.  I then asked the bouncer if a pink winged fairy had come this way and the bouncer confirmed my worst fears, that Charity had left the building but not alone.  I went outside to see that her car was still in the parking lot.  So I went around the back to where I knew some of the dancers often gathered around a fire pit only to find Charity and Myles in a clinch.

Charity came running up to me, her eyes shining overly bright.  “You can be the first to congratulate us,” she said breathlessly.  “Myles and I are getting married!” 

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline Cheezey

• Immortal
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 09:16:36 PM »
I enjoyed this update.  I suspect poor Gobias is going to have a hard time watching Charity marry Myles.  If the wedding happens, that is. Looking forward to where this is going!

Offline Nimrod Mikkusu

• Townie
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 05:30:06 AM »
Well, but I guess that this also will have the part where Myles dies and Charity marries Gobias\Elias.  ::)

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 07:09:45 AM »
Chapter 3 - The Penultimate Worst Day of My Life

I was speechless.  I looked at Myles and saw his eyes, not shining with love or passion, but burning with intensity.  I couldn’t think why Charity would fall for such a Sim and so swiftly.  Upstairs, she seemed to want to be rid of him.  I thought she was uneasy or wary of him.  I was obviously wrong.  Maybe she had been afraid of her feelings.  Heavens knows the strength of my love for her frightened me sometimes.

My heart just sank.  I had always been afraid of this from the first day I met her.  That Charity would never see me as other than her father’s best friend.  That she would fall in love with someone else.  I have no recollection of what I said or how I acted but it must not have been too undiplomatic.  I don’t even remember how I got home.  I just sat on my couch and stared out at the blank TV.

I don’t know how long I sat there in limbo, trying not to think or feel anything.  I became aware of a rustling outside.  Initially I thought that the zombies had returned to try to wreck havoc in my garden.  I must not have locked the gate behind me.  Usually I was so careful.  I decided that I just didn’t care anymore.  I was really fed up to the back teeth of this whole charade.  I longed to be back in Sunset Valley where I would never have to see my beloved Charity with Myles.  I don’t recall ever feeling so miserable.

The rustling persisted.  I went outside to see what was going on.  There was no full moon so I was wrong about the zombies.  Then I saw something at my bee box.  It actually took me a couple of seconds to realise that it was a Sim who had been turned into a toad.  I didn’t recognise his clothes so I had no idea of who he had been.  When he saw me, he was startled.  I assumed this was not some Halloween costumed Sim but someone who had actually been turned into a toad by a witch or wizard.

“I’m guessing here that you may not want to be a Toad Sim.” I said to the Toad.  “Can I help you?”

“Please Mr Stavros, help me,” he begged me.  I usually had a number of Cure Elixirs on hand to use them against zombies if they got through the fence, but I had none left after the last full moon.

“Okay.  I can make a simple Cure Elixir that will set you right in a few minutes.”  I needed to make some more elixirs anyway.  The next full moon wasn’t all that far away.

“Mr Stavros, can you make a Potent Cure elixir to cure me of Lycanthropy as well.”

“Who are you?” I asked.

“Gator Wolff.”

“But you can’t be!” I said astonished.  “You’re a werewolf.  A supernatural can’t be turned into a toad!”

“No!  Really Mr Stavros!  I truly am Gator Wolff!” the toad protested.  “My Pappy once told us stories about the Great Wizards in the Simverse who controlled the most powerful magic.  They could turn any supernatural into anything they wished.”

“I’ve heard those stories too but I never believed them.  They’re simply to frighten children to straighten them out.”

“I’m sorry but I really am Gator Wolff.  Please, can you help me?”

I couldn’t.  Not at that exact moment.  I didn’t have all the ingredients for a Potent Cure elixir.  I needed a ruby for that elixir.  I looked across the road but the Kalamia house was in darkness.  I wasn’t sure if Leonidas had any spare rubies anyway.  That wasn’t an elixir that he usually made.  Leonidas told me that he made a nice living making Potent Skill Booster or Liquid Job Booster elixirs for Sims too busy or lazy to spend the time increasing their skills.

“We can pop over to Aleister’s Elixirs and Sundries to see if they have a Potent Cure elixir in stock,” I said wondering why he didn’t want to be a werewolf anymore.  I remembered him as a bit of tearaway when he was younger, always getting into trouble for ruining furniture with his constant scratching.

“They don’t have any.  I’ve been asking every day for months.  Please, Mr Stavros, I don’t want to be seen like this.  Please help me.”

“Will you come inside?  I want to get a good look at you to see how I can help you.”  He followed me into the house and I inspected the toadification.  It was definitely the real thing.  Not some prank he and his friends were playing.

“Well I need a ruby or gem dust to be able to make a Potent Cure Elixir so I’ll go to Aleister’s to see if they have any.  You can stay here with me if you like.  I’ll be back as soon as I can.  If you’re hungry, help yourself to some leftovers in the fridge.”

“Thanks Mr Stavros.”

I drove over to Aleister’s but they had no ruby gems or dust for sale.  I turned on my Collection Helper to look for rocks but there was nothing close by and I wasn’t about to run all over the countryside hoping to find a ruby in the dark.

I went home to find Gator asleep in my spare room.  I felt very sorry for him.  Apart from Doreen Caliente, there wasn’t a witch in Moonlight Falls who I thought was mean enough to do such a thing.  But I knew that she was just an ordinary witch, however vain.  I didn’t want to believe it was any of the usual Moonlight Falls’ witches or wizards, but I didn’t know enough of Myles traits to entirely rule him out as a possibility.  I only knew that he was flirty, a party animal and a genius.  I guess I just wanted to have a valid reason to discredit him to Charity.

I tossed and turned most of the night.  If I slept at all, I didn’t feel like it.  I awoke with gritty eyes, a roaring headache and a gnawing hollow feeling inside.  First thing after showering and dressing, I went over to the Kalamia house but nobody was home.  That was odd.  Charity and Faith both worked nights.  Both would normally be home at this time of the morning.  I returned to my own house and made Gator and I pancakes for breakfast. 

Over breakfast I explained to Gator the problem to make a Potent Cure elixir.  I asked him how he came to be a toad.

“Mr Stavros, if you can cure me.  I’ll tell you everything.”  I couldn’t think what he had to say.  I just assumed that he’d ticked off a witch once too often.

I left him at my house to do the dishes or read if he wanted to.  There were quite a few rocks showing up on the Collection Helper but they were scattered over the whole town.  I found a lot of blue topaz, smoky quartz, lots of metals and the occasional emerald or yellow sapphire but no ruby. 

I checked again with Aleister’s for a ruby and then with the Landgraab Consignment Store.  Neither had any rubies. 

I went back to my house and found Gator playing chess and noticed that he had no metric showing an increase for his logic skill.  That did surprise me.

“No luck with the ruby yet,” I said sitting down opposite him at the chess table.  “We’ll just have to wait for the gems to spawn again and try again later.”

“Thanks Mr Stavros.  I appreciate your help?”

“Are you sure you can’t tell me the story now.  I’ll still help you regardless.  I'm pretty much a "by the book" kind of guy.”

“I've heard you are.  You’re a good guy.  I figured that you were ex-police since you drive a squad car.”  I looked at him speculatively but he had his head down looking at the chess pieces.  I didn’t particularly care how others perceived me.  I didn’t have the Good trait like Charity, but I always tried to behave in a manner that did no harm to others around me.

He gave up the game he was playing and reset the chess pieces ready for a new game.  “I was at Varg’s Tavern last night,” he said tentatively.  “I wasn’t supposed to be there as they’d banned me for destroying the furniture.  I was hoping to talk to Dahlia Goodfellow.  I saw her and Pip going in there earlier.  I was out the back near the fire pit when I saw Dahlia talking to a stranger in town.”

“What was he wearing?” I asked.

“He was nicely turned out in a formal waistcoat and a fancy maroon neckerchief.”  Gator had adequately described Myles.

“You may not know this Mr Stavros.  But Fawn Goodfellow and I want to marry.  Fawn says she loves me just the way I am, so she will not ask me to forsake my powers.  But I know her parents don’t want a werewolf for a son-in-law.  Fawn says she doesn’t mind if our children become werewolves but I do.  I don’t want my future children to feel undervalued by their grandparents if they become werewolves.  Lycanthropy is an awesome power but it’s the most difficult to manage.  I’ve lost two jobs because I can’t control myself during a full moon.  I just don’t want to be one anymore.  I really want to be a World Renown Surgeon and I won’t be able to manage the work hours if I remain as a werewolf.  That’s why I’ve been trying to get a Potent Cure elixir,” he said with a wry twist of his lips.

“You’d think there would be lots of skilled Alchemists in this town but there aren’t.  Did you know that Jules MacDuff was only a level 7 Alchemist before he and Hetal Anjali ran off together and left town.  Mr Kalamia was the only Alchemist I knew who has enough skill to make the elixir I want.  But he has been away so long.  I didn’t know that you could also make elixirs or I would have asked you ages ago”.  I shrugged.  I wasn’t in the habit of flaunting my skills.

“Tell me about last night,” I asked.

“So last night, I hung around outside the tavern waiting to talk to Dahlia.  I really wasn’t listening to what she and the stranger were talking about, but it did get heated.  I think she was a bit scared of him.  He was really angry and shouted at her.  When he slapped her, I stepped in to put a stop to it.  He turned on me and cast some sort of spell.  I think I fainted or something.  Anyway I came to fairly soon but there was nobody there.  I didn’t know what had happened but I thought I should stay close to the tavern to warn Pip.”

“Go on,” I said casually liking the fact that I now had some real proof that Myles was not a good Sim.

“Well the next Sim to come to the fire pit was that stranger and he had Charity Kalamia with him.  He tried smooth talking her first but she wasn’t having any of it.  He then tried to give her a Heat of the Moment kiss.” 

“She was so angry and really told him off.” 

“When she tried to walk away, he grabbed her arm and apologised.  He said he was sorry and he wanted to give her a sunlight charm.  She agreed to that but said she was going home.  But that wizard gave her a love charm instead of a sunlight charm.”

“Immediately he put some real heavy moves on her.  She seemed completely under his spell.”

“He kissed her a lot.”

“Then he proposed.  She seemed ecstatic.  She did accept the ring.”

“Then he looked up and I think he may have seen me watching them so I ran away.  I ran to tell Faith but she wasn’t at her house.  So I came here to wait for you.”  I was shocked.  I jumped up from the chess table and immediately phoned Charity but she didn’t pick up.  I phoned Faith but she didn’t pick up either.

“Gator!  We have to stop this awful engagement.  We have to stop it now, before it’s too late.  Come with me.  We have to show her what he did.  Charity doesn’t know about the love charm.  She thinks she’s genuinely in love with him.”

“Okay.  I guess I’d hate it if someone did that to Fawn.  I know why you feel like that.  I think everybody in this town except Charity knows that you’re in love with her.”  I was too focused on wondering how to find Charity that it didn’t really sink in what he had said.  Not then. 

We drove all over town looking for them but only in desperation did I recall the Fae Ray Gardens.  I wasn’t sure why but I knew Leonidas often went to the Arboretum for solace.  Perhaps the girls went there as well. 

They were there.  But not at the Arboretum – in the gardens itself.  Gator found them first.

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline Cheezey

• Immortal
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 12:12:20 PM »
Ooh, Myles is such a sleaze. Hopefully that wedding can be stopped, but if not, a love charm sounds like good grounds for an annulment to me.

Offline Nimrod Mikkusu

• Townie
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 02:21:23 PM »
Ooh, Myles is such a sleaze. Hopefully that wedding can be stopped, but if not, a love charm sounds like good grounds for an annulment to me.

This is a prequel, so Charity will end up divorce Myles to marry Elias.