Author Topic: The Secret Time Traveler  (Read 5066 times)

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
The Secret Time Traveler
« on: September 26, 2016, 02:06:20 AM »
The Secret Time Traveler - Prologue

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Under subdued skies nestles a small eerie Victorian town that looks positively charming when blanketed by snow.  However, on the outskirts, there is a lot that could never be considered appealing even under the deepest snow. 

But Grim’s Ghastly Manor is much more than just a graveyard.  Like Pandora’s Box, it offers hope.  You just have to seek it.  Many a Sim has sought out the Grim Reaper to compete for the prospect of another chance.  At the Door of Life and Death, Grim has been the final arbiter of all the Sims and when moved to do so, has bestowed Sims with alternative options to death. 

One winter a ghost appeared before the Door of Life and Death.

“You!  Again!  Seriously!” thundered Grim.  “It’s high time I got to the bottom of this.  I decide who lives or dies!”

The ghost cowered visibly before Grim’s rage.  Aware he was frightening the trembling ghost, Grim asked softly if she would join him in a friendly game of chess.  Grim had remembered that this was the best strategy to put this particular ghost at ease.

The timid ghost sat down before the chess board with Grim who chatted in a calm and reasoned manner as he listened to her story.  This time it took three games before Grim heard the full story.  The timid ghost won every game as she always did.  As usual, Grim was pleased with her.  But his duties being what they were, Grim needed to be elsewhere so he asked her to stay for a while and practice for their rematch.  Accepting that Grim’s work kept him busy, the ghost Sim simply practised her chess as she waited for Grim to reappear.  It’s not like she had other things to do with her time.

As she practiced at the chess board, the ghost Sim felt odd tingling in her fingers and toes.  Next came a sensation of falling, not onto the floor at her feet but through the floor into the catacombs below. 

Gathering herself she looked about but was startled to feel something she had not felt in a long time, the beating of her heart.  She had been transformed back into a corporeal being.

“My child,” Grim’s disembodied voice echoed throughout the catacombs.  “The actions that brought you within my sphere of influence were unjust.  While I investigate the cause of all your problems, I have a mission for you.” 

The ex-ghost closed her eyes and sighed in dismay as Grim continued.  Someone always wanted something from her.  “There is too much sadness and loneliness in the Simverse, so I am sending you all back to different towns to meet Sims whose lives lack something.  A special someone.  For your own good, I must erase all your memories.  You will remember your mission only as a vague wish.  Good luck.

“All?” queried the ex-ghost, who, suddenly aware that she was no longer alone, opened her eyes. 

She was even more shocked to see that her companions were replicas of herself.  Then one by one they disappeared.  As she felt her body teleport, she couldn’t remember why she felt so cross.

Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Offline experience

• Occult
  • If you pity a snake, you're bound to get bitten.
    • Nolan M Cruz
Re: The Secret Time Traveler
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 08:58:04 AM »
All right, bring it on! I usually don't read many sims stories, but this one has got my attention. Looking forward to see where it goes, Magz.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Nimrod Mikkusu

• Townie
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 01:19:30 PM »
The fairy is split into four (or more?) copies, and the four copies go to different towns that represent four (or more) different time periods. The four copies of the fairy all lead different lives and marry\help different Original Townies, changing the fate of the Sims 4 premade worlds. Except Midnight Hollow (if I'm not mistaken?) since that was the world the grim reaper and fairy were already in.

Online Cheezey

• Immortal
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 02:04:34 PM »
Cool concept! I can't wait to see what sims are going to get help finding that special someone.  I wonder if there are any ill effects from her being split like that, or if she will ever get her memories back.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 01:09:41 AM »
Chapter 1 - Time to Go

Some years ago – never mind how many precisely – having little or no friends, and nothing particular to interest me in Sunset Valley, I thought I would wander about a little and see the different parts of the Simverse.1 But before I could do so, something extraordinary found me.

I go by many names but most of you know me as Gobias Koffi.  Most people think I’m either a bumbling idiot or just plain creepy.  I rarely get used in a forum story where I’m the good guy or the protagonist.  But I’m not offended, I prefer it that way.  It keeps people at a distance which enables me to keep my secret.

And as so often happens when you lead a double life, everything was going along amazingly well, then wham!  My wonderful life got wrenched away and I had no understanding on how to deal with it.  There wasn’t anybody I felt I could confide in.  Nobody would have believed me.  I guess I must have muddled through somehow.  But just when as I was beginning to get a handle on things, I was broadsided again!

What were the chances right?  Of all the towns and all the worlds, she had to walk into mine!2  Now, not only do I get to see the Sim who was my wife happily married to someone else, but I have to watch my children call the other guy “daddy”.  That hurt especially losing my beautiful daughter.

But I have to let it go.  That’s my cross to bear with being a secret time traveller.  To make things harder, we didn’t even get divorced.  I just got sucked back through the time vortex.  I don’t mean the Wellsian Time Portal that takes a Sim to Oasis Landing, I wish it was that simple.  I mean the bright swirling vortex of mist and sound and electricity that is a wandering time vortex that just finds me.  I can’t outrun it and I can’t avoid it.  Even though I can’t predict it, now that I know what to look for, I can always hear it approaching.

While I can’t control it, I know of its arrival from the buzzing in my ears.  When the buzzing begins I have only minutes before an appalling headache develops.  Then it rapidly escalates, my legs feel like they have turned into jelly, then I begin falling...and zap... I’m in another place and, more often than not, in another time.

The first few times this happened, I was only transported for a few seconds:  really only long enough for me to realise that I wasn’t in Sunset Valley anymore.  Then I was sucked back into my house.  I thought I’d suffered from a migraine.  Except I began to realise, that I had been at Stony Falls or at the Park when my legs turned to jelly and then five minutes later, I find I’m in my own house feeling awfully sick.  It was some weeks later that the time I was transported away began to increase.  Unfortunately, there was no real correlation between the length of my stay in another town or time, the frequency of the vortex’s arrival or how long this had been happening. 

There was really no set pattern.  Except, whenever the vortex takes me to another town or another time it always returns me home to Sunset Valley, eventually.  Sometimes I am in the other place or time for only an hour or two.  Other times I am gone for days, weeks, months or even years.  But here’s the weirdest thing.  I may have been transported to another place and dumped there for years but each time, when I am returned to Sunset Valley, although I have aged in real time, only five minutes have elapsed from when I was initially transported.3 Using potions or elixirs I can reset my age to what the Sunset Valley Townies would expect.

Initially, I was terrified of these events and of being on my own in a strange place or time.  Eventually I got used to it and began to treat the trips as adventures.  Never knowing how long I was to be exiled in these odd locations and times, I endeavoured to educate myself, becoming something of an expert of history, so I didn’t make blunders that would draw unwanted attention to me.  I also needed skills to earn a living or to keep myself from becoming an oddity.  Law enforcement, especially medieval law enforcement, frequently suspected strangers of criminal activity or witchcraft.  So until backpackers came along in the 20th century, a foreign student abroad or a painter were the perfect disguises whenever I was sent back in time.

I learned painting in Florence, becoming a student of a renowned painter and sculptor who also dabbled in alchemy.  I made friends among my fellow students, including a man I’ll only refer to as Leo.  He became a brilliant painter and sculptor.  However his side fascination was with inventing.  I guess I helped a little bit with that.

I learned enough cooking to help out while rooming with two fellow painters in Arles in the south of France, both of whom gave me a painting each as gratitude for their not starving to death.

Not all my trips have been to the distant past.  When I was sent to present day locations I’ve worked at whatever took my fancy.

How did it all began?  I really don’t know but I think this all started after I began to dabble in invention as a young man.  I had always been interested in learning new things.  But invention was different.  I made useful things as well as knickknacks and oddities.  I did discover how to build a type of time machine.  But trips in that particular time machine were mostly just harmless fun.  Things really went pear-shaped for me after I created this odd toy.

Shortly after that was when the first time vortex found me.  Irrespective, these trips which began as terrifying, then adventure and enlightenment, have now become a tremendous nuisance.  These episodes are a huge irritation because I have to maintain detachment from other Sims in Sunset Valley.  Fortuitously EA created a bunch of Sim traits that would keep others at a distance.  I opted for just about every trait opposite of my true self that I could get.  But it’s become a real drag for me to act accordingly.  But as those traits work to keep others away, I really shouldn’t complain.

Sunset Valley had always been my refuge.  It’s where I could recharge my batteries before being sucked back through the time vortex.  Also it was where the only family I knew could be found, my father Gaylord.  He doesn’t even know my secret.  It’s not something I feel comfortable telling him. 

This last winter has been hard, very hard for me.  It’s been nearly twelve years since the last time the vortex transported me, which is the longest gap I’ve ever had.  As I’ve never had any indication that the time vortex is nearby until the buzzing, I am uncertain if this is all over.  I’m hoping it has finished playing with me.  But I just don’t know.  Either way, it is time I moved on.  I need to get away from Sunset Valley. 

Primarily because, last summer, my beautiful daughter Hope now a teenager, has begun to seek a friendship with me.  She says I remind her of her real father who she remembers with great fondness.  I have to leave in case she discovers the truth and ruins what has become a wonderful life for a Sim family that I truly care about and respect.  Also because Hope, whose pink wings and blond hair reminds me so much of her aunt, the only Sim I think I have ever loved with all my heart. 

1  Paraphrased from: Melville, H., (1851), Moby-Dick, Harper & Bros, New York

2  Paraphrased from Benner, M & Allison, J. (1942), Everyone Comes to Rick’s, unproduced stage play (made into film classic Casablanca by Warner Bros.)

3 idea taken from King, S. (2011), 11.22.63, Hodder and Stoughton, London

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline Nimrod Mikkusu

• Townie
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 08:54:11 AM »
So wait, Gobby is the secret time traveller?  ;D ??? Although the Koffi Family is based on Arrested Development  :-X Then that means the fairy, must be Gobby's wife or sister-in-law.

Offline Banana Bender

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 11:46:53 PM »
Nooooo.  Gobias couldn't have been Elias Kalamia!  He died!  Am I confused or is this not a sequel to Islands of Sunset Valley?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online Cheezey

• Immortal
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 06:22:26 PM »
Aww, do people really think Gobias is creepy? He's always struck me as quirky, but not necessarily in a bad way. 

It's cool to see him in a story like this.

Offline Nimrod Mikkusu

• Townie
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 10:47:45 AM »
Yeah. Usually I just let him marry and have kids via SP, and those kids and grandkids become their own characters and I don't "theme" them after Arrested Development. (Often I don't "theme" them at all, just dress them in fitting outfits and stuff) If and when I play him (or the Koffi family in general) or the sims I play have many interactions with him, I may just change the theme - Once I renamed him to Gale Ao, making his surname Ao but Gaylord's surname - and the household's name - still Koffi. Ao is a japanese word for both blue and green, since my makeover of him kept his blue eyes and gave him dark green hair.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 02:27:25 AM »
Chapter2 – Memories

Although it was nearly 30 years ago, I remember it like only yesterday.  I had once again been sucked through the time vortex and found myself on a deserted stretch of beach.  I immediately went into my standby mode of trying to find where I was and in which time period.  The first Sim I met was a fairy wearing a military styled outfit reminiscent of the 1950’s.  Tall, dark and handsome, he introduced himself as Leonidas Kalamia.

Thinking that I’d been dumped somewhere in Greece, I introduced myself as Elias Stavros, the first Greek sounding name I could think of.  Shaking his hand, I quickly cast my memory over critical events of 1950’s Greece.  All that came to mind was that the Greek Civil War would have ended, there were quite a lot of earthquakes (several quite severe), and the mildly unstable reign of King Paul I should continue until about 1963 or 1964.  I had not much to go on as we were standing on a fairly deserted beach and I could see no signs that would indicate my location or time period.  Looking at the water it was nowhere near as blue as I’d expected either the Aegean or Ionian seas to be.

I told Leonidas that I had only just arrived and would he recommend a place to stay.  When he asked how long I was staying, I said that I wasn’t sure yet.  He advised that there weren’t any hotels or resorts in Moonlight Falls but that there were plenty of houses for sale or rent including a cottage across the road from his home on Wood Street.  As he was returning home himself he said that he’d show me the house.  I went with him to take a look. 

As we drove to Wood Street, he told me that he was married with two daughters.  I replied that I was single and had never married.  He was certainly friendly and talkative.  While I was disappointed not to be in Greece, I had never been to Moonlight Falls before either, so I was not unhappy about my destination.  Located in the Pacific northwest, the town was built with the Supernatural Sim in mind.  The town and its community were specifically designed for fairies, witches, werewolves, vampires and ghosts.  I’d read that there were few human Sim families in the town.  While I’d met many vampires and ghosts before, this was to be my first experience with fairies, witches and werewolves.

Leonidas parked his car in his driveway.  He pointed to the house across the road which was available.  Together we walked over to take a look.  It seemed a nice cottage with a garden.  As one of my standard occupations whenever I found myself in the present time, was to become a self employed gardener, I remarked that the house would do nicely as it had a garden.  Leonidas told me his wife was a green thumb and would gladly give me some plants to replace the poor quality plants on the property.  He asked me to drop by any time after 1:30 p.m. when the plants would be ready for harvesting and I could help myself. 

I thanked him and immediately rang for a taxi to take me to City Hall to enquire about the house and registering my new occupation.  I asked the town clerk for a list of all community lots in the town and was delighted to see a lot I particularly wanted.  Barney’s Salon and Tattoo had a franchise in the town, so I stopped there on my way back to my new house for a quick makeover and wardrobe change.

Promptly at 1:30, I went to see Leonidas.  At the door a cute auburn haired fairy child directed me to a large greenhouse at the back of the house.  Leonidas himself was there fertilising the plants.  He told me to harvest as many plants as I wanted to establish my own garden.  All the plants I could see were of perfect quality, so I asked him if he was sure.  He explained that his wife had long ago achieved her lifetime wish of a perfect garden.  He was an alchemist himself and used the plants in elixirs but had plenty of stores.  I thanked him enthusiastically for his generosity.  He stayed to talk as I harvested the plants.

Leonidas explained that his family was originally from Sim Kosmo and had only moved to Moonlight Falls recently.  He chatted on about his wife and daughters.  The elder daughter so like his wife Deborah, and the younger, very like his own mother, Lenore.  I could tell he was especially proud of his beautiful and clever daughters.  Leonidas then said his elder daughter was having her young adult birthday that evening and asked if I would like to join them.  I thanked him but declined.  I believed that the coming of age was a wonderful time for a young girl and I speculated she wouldn’t want her father’s new friend intruding on the auspicious occasion.  When I had harvested all the plants I wanted, I again thanked Leonidas for the vegetables and left.

I spent the remainder of the day planting vegetable patches with the perfect plants.  Tired, sweaty and hungry when I finished, I noted that there was no party going on across the road, so I was glad that I had not intruded on what was obviously only a family occasion.  The next morning I tended my new plants then set off to fully explore the town.  It was at Aleister’s Elixirs and Sundries that I saw the most beautiful fairy.  She looked up from the Alchemy book she was studying and smiled at me.  I was captivated by her smile and intrigued when she walked over to me.  What followed has been etched forever in my memory.

“Mr Stavros?” she asked tentatively.  I nodded dumbfounded.

“I saw you tending your new garden earlier.  Did you get all the plants you wanted?” she asked.  She seemed to know an awful lot about my activities but I had no idea who she was.

“I’m sorry,” I said, “I didn’t catch your name.”

“Charity Kalamia,” she said mischievously.  Holy wow, I thought.  This was Leonidas’s elder daughter who had the birthday yesterday.

“Happy birthday for yesterday,” I said feeling tongue tied and awkward.

“Thank you.  Have you always been a gardener?”

“No.  I’ve had a few careers but I like gardening.”  I really did enjoy learning new skills and fortuitously, they had become essential to my survival as I travelled between worlds and times.  As I could never predict how long I would be dumped in any one place, I often took different jobs.  I achieved my own lifetime wish for Jack of All Trades because of those unorthodox side trips.  As I don’t know which place or which time in history I will find myself in, gardening has been my most used skill when I end up in the present time.  Finding special seeds has netted me a fortune from money trees and special seeds have also provided me with the Life Fruit which is essential to my survival.  Ambrosia works well but Alchemy elixirs and chemistry potions are my lifesavers.

“Really, how interesting.  What career would you most recommend?”

“I think that depends on the Sim and the skills you want to develop.  What do you want to do that you’ll enjoy doing?”

“I want to have lots of children,” she replied wistfully.

“Well as a fairy, I’m sure you’ve lots of time ahead of you for that.”  My heart sank.  She would pick a nice young male-fairy to marry and could pop out nooboos for the next 200 or more years.  I’m not sure why I felt so acutely dismayed at that thought.

“That’s what my mother says.  Are you married Mr Stavros?”

“No.  I have never found someone who wanted me,” I replied.

“Are you sure that she didn’t want you.  Did you ever ask?” she asked guilelessly.

“Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that I haven’t yet met anyone who I was ready to make that commitment with.”  Actually I’d begun to think that I should not marry because of the complications of the time portal.  Disappearing for five minutes wasn’t the problem, returning after five minutes with a different set of life experiences, may be difficult for a wife to deal with.  I have also gotten used to deferring to no one and not having to consider what my partner would want when I make important decisions.  I think I would find that hardest of all to give up.  I had never found anyone who I was willing to make those necessary adjustments for.

“Perhaps, you’ll find that special someone here in Moonlight Falls,” she said as the clock in the corner of the room chimed the hour.  “I’m really sorry I have to go.  I promised Faith I would take her to the Festival.  It’s been a pleasure talking to you Mr Stavros.  Enjoy your stay in Moonlight Falls.”

To say that I was left standing there with my jaw hanging open and smiling like a besotted idiot would have been an understatement.  I think from that moment on, I fell head over heels in love for the first time in my life.  I was enchanted.  I was also realistic.  At no time did she intimate by word or gesture that she’d like to be that special someone I would be willing to make adjustments for.  She was a mere slip of a child, newly adult certainly, but still childlike.  I was twice her age and not so foolish to think that she would find me ideal husband material or father material for those nooboos she yearned for.  Besides Moonlight Falls was her home but not mine.  Anytime soon I may get sucked through the time vortex back to Sunset Valley.  I vowed at that point to immediately come back to Moonlight Falls and find the beautiful Charity Kalamia.  Maybe then, things might finally work out for me.

Over the next few weeks and months, I was sure that I had been right.  Charity wasn’t interested in me as anything but her father’s good friend.  She started a career in the music industry and dated all the eligible bachelors in the town.  I become BFF’s with all the Kalamias in time and regularly was invited to their rare parties.  My stay in Moonlight Falls was longer than I had ever been away before.  I began to wonder if the time vortex had given up on me and intended to strand me here forever.

I thought I’d heard the buzzing of time vortex once or twice during that time, but the blinding headaches never developed.  I did see the strangest thing once.  Another Sim in the town, either a new arrival or a tourist, clasped his hands over his head and fell to the ground.  He then completely disappeared leaving a shadowy wispy form on the ground that dissipated like ghosts do after sunrise.  I wondered if I’d just seen a fellow time traveller getting sucked through the vortex.  I waited the five minutes but he didn’t reappear.  If he had been a fellow time traveller, maybe Moonlight Falls wasn’t his home town either.

I was still stuck in Moonlight Falls when Deborah Kalamia aged up to an elder.  I saw in reverse what it must be like for a long living fairy to marry a human.  I was also still there to see little Faith age up into a beautiful teen. 

Exchanging her long braids for short curls, she was every bit as lovely as Charity although not as lighthearted or as naturally engaging. 

My chess partner for the past few years now sought out my company to jam with her to increase her music skills. 

Charity would join us after work to give pointers to Faith about finger placement or chord structure.

When Faith aged up to a young adult and went to work as a Cook, I was surprised.  As she’d already maxed out her lifetime wish to be a One Sim Band, I expected her to follow her sister into the music career.  But no, she loved to cook more and I became her willing test subject.

Not long after that Deborah Kalamia died of old age.  Leonidas, my closest friend was inconsolable.  I tried my best to be there for him but I could do nothing to diminish his grief. 

A short time later Leonidas heard that his own mother in Sim Kosmo was also gravely ill and returned to Sim Kosmo to be with her.  Both Leonidas’s daughters preferred to stay in Moonlight Falls.  Unfortunately Charity began to turn a little unpredictable.  I believe in an effort to suppress her grief, she began clubbing, dancing at the various nightclubs till the late hours whenever her work schedule permitted it.  At Faith’s insistence, she and I set up a schedule of who would accompany Charity to these sometimes less than satisfactory venues to watch over her.

Regrettably, it was on my watch that Charity met a new wizard in town, Myles Kyrios.  He was indeed charming but in a smarmy kind of way.  He too was captivated by Charity but I was astonished to see her dance with him.  Usually she was more discerning about her companions on the dance floor.  Myles asked me if I minded making us all a cool drink.  I acquiesced.  While making the drinks I observed her interactions with him.  I deduced that while she wasn’t averse to his attention but she wasn’t encouraging him either.  I knew just about her every mood.  She was being polite and careful but not playful.  I secretly applauded her excellent manners. 

Myles came over to take one of the drinks and told me I wasn’t needed anymore.  I told him that I would stay as long as Charity wanted me to stay.

I took a drink over to Charity who said that we were leaving just as soon as she came back from the restroom.

I saw Charity talk to Dahlia Goodfellow at the top of the stairs.  I thought nothing of this as women often seemed to go to the restroom in pairs.  But Dahlia then walked over to me and asked if I could make her a refreshing drink too.  I said that I didn’t mind.  Dahlia chatted as she drank her drink and then left.  I noticed that Myles must have left while I was distracted by Dahlia’s chit chat.

Immediately I went in search of Charity but could not find her downstairs.  I asked another female patron who I knew, to see if Charity was hiding in the restroom.  My friend came out and reported that the restroom was empty.  I then asked the bouncer if a pink winged fairy had come this way and the bouncer confirmed my worst fears, that Charity had left the building but not alone.  I went outside to see that her car was still in the parking lot.  So I went around the back to where I knew some of the dancers often gathered around a fire pit only to find Charity and Myles in a clinch.

Charity came running up to me, her eyes shining overly bright.  “You can be the first to congratulate us,” she said breathlessly.  “Myles and I are getting married!” 

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Online Cheezey

• Immortal
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 09:16:36 PM »
I enjoyed this update.  I suspect poor Gobias is going to have a hard time watching Charity marry Myles.  If the wedding happens, that is. Looking forward to where this is going!

Offline Nimrod Mikkusu

• Townie
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 05:30:06 AM »
Well, but I guess that this also will have the part where Myles dies and Charity marries Gobias\Elias.  ::)

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 07:09:45 AM »
Chapter 3 - The Penultimate Worst Day of My Life

I was speechless.  I looked at Myles and saw his eyes, not shining with love or passion, but burning with intensity.  I couldn’t think why Charity would fall for such a Sim and so swiftly.  Upstairs, she seemed to want to be rid of him.  I thought she was uneasy or wary of him.  I was obviously wrong.  Maybe she had been afraid of her feelings.  Heavens knows the strength of my love for her frightened me sometimes.

My heart just sank.  I had always been afraid of this from the first day I met her.  That Charity would never see me as other than her father’s best friend.  That she would fall in love with someone else.  I have no recollection of what I said or how I acted but it must not have been too undiplomatic.  I don’t even remember how I got home.  I just sat on my couch and stared out at the blank TV.

I don’t know how long I sat there in limbo, trying not to think or feel anything.  I became aware of a rustling outside.  Initially I thought that the zombies had returned to try to wreck havoc in my garden.  I must not have locked the gate behind me.  Usually I was so careful.  I decided that I just didn’t care anymore.  I was really fed up to the back teeth of this whole charade.  I longed to be back in Sunset Valley where I would never have to see my beloved Charity with Myles.  I don’t recall ever feeling so miserable.

The rustling persisted.  I went outside to see what was going on.  There was no full moon so I was wrong about the zombies.  Then I saw something at my bee box.  It actually took me a couple of seconds to realise that it was a Sim who had been turned into a toad.  I didn’t recognise his clothes so I had no idea of who he had been.  When he saw me, he was startled.  I assumed this was not some Halloween costumed Sim but someone who had actually been turned into a toad by a witch or wizard.

“I’m guessing here that you may not want to be a Toad Sim.” I said to the Toad.  “Can I help you?”

“Please Mr Stavros, help me,” he begged me.  I usually had a number of Cure Elixirs on hand to use them against zombies if they got through the fence, but I had none left after the last full moon.

“Okay.  I can make a simple Cure Elixir that will set you right in a few minutes.”  I needed to make some more elixirs anyway.  The next full moon wasn’t all that far away.

“Mr Stavros, can you make a Potent Cure elixir to cure me of Lycanthropy as well.”

“Who are you?” I asked.

“Gator Wolff.”

“But you can’t be!” I said astonished.  “You’re a werewolf.  A supernatural can’t be turned into a toad!”

“No!  Really Mr Stavros!  I truly am Gator Wolff!” the toad protested.  “My Pappy once told us stories about the Great Wizards in the Simverse who controlled the most powerful magic.  They could turn any supernatural into anything they wished.”

“I’ve heard those stories too but I never believed them.  They’re simply to frighten children to straighten them out.”

“I’m sorry but I really am Gator Wolff.  Please, can you help me?”

I couldn’t.  Not at that exact moment.  I didn’t have all the ingredients for a Potent Cure elixir.  I needed a ruby for that elixir.  I looked across the road but the Kalamia house was in darkness.  I wasn’t sure if Leonidas had any spare rubies anyway.  That wasn’t an elixir that he usually made.  Leonidas told me that he made a nice living making Potent Skill Booster or Liquid Job Booster elixirs for Sims too busy or lazy to spend the time increasing their skills.

“We can pop over to Aleister’s Elixirs and Sundries to see if they have a Potent Cure elixir in stock,” I said wondering why he didn’t want to be a werewolf anymore.  I remembered him as a bit of tearaway when he was younger, always getting into trouble for ruining furniture with his constant scratching.

“They don’t have any.  I’ve been asking every day for months.  Please, Mr Stavros, I don’t want to be seen like this.  Please help me.”

“Will you come inside?  I want to get a good look at you to see how I can help you.”  He followed me into the house and I inspected the toadification.  It was definitely the real thing.  Not some prank he and his friends were playing.

“Well I need a ruby or gem dust to be able to make a Potent Cure Elixir so I’ll go to Aleister’s to see if they have any.  You can stay here with me if you like.  I’ll be back as soon as I can.  If you’re hungry, help yourself to some leftovers in the fridge.”

“Thanks Mr Stavros.”

I drove over to Aleister’s but they had no ruby gems or dust for sale.  I turned on my Collection Helper to look for rocks but there was nothing close by and I wasn’t about to run all over the countryside hoping to find a ruby in the dark.

I went home to find Gator asleep in my spare room.  I felt very sorry for him.  Apart from Doreen Caliente, there wasn’t a witch in Moonlight Falls who I thought was mean enough to do such a thing.  But I knew that she was just an ordinary witch, however vain.  I didn’t want to believe it was any of the usual Moonlight Falls’ witches or wizards, but I didn’t know enough of Myles traits to entirely rule him out as a possibility.  I only knew that he was flirty, a party animal and a genius.  I guess I just wanted to have a valid reason to discredit him to Charity.

I tossed and turned most of the night.  If I slept at all, I didn’t feel like it.  I awoke with gritty eyes, a roaring headache and a gnawing hollow feeling inside.  First thing after showering and dressing, I went over to the Kalamia house but nobody was home.  That was odd.  Charity and Faith both worked nights.  Both would normally be home at this time of the morning.  I returned to my own house and made Gator and I pancakes for breakfast. 

Over breakfast I explained to Gator the problem to make a Potent Cure elixir.  I asked him how he came to be a toad.

“Mr Stavros, if you can cure me.  I’ll tell you everything.”  I couldn’t think what he had to say.  I just assumed that he’d ticked off a witch once too often.

I left him at my house to do the dishes or read if he wanted to.  There were quite a few rocks showing up on the Collection Helper but they were scattered over the whole town.  I found a lot of blue topaz, smoky quartz, lots of metals and the occasional emerald or yellow sapphire but no ruby. 

I checked again with Aleister’s for a ruby and then with the Landgraab Consignment Store.  Neither had any rubies. 

I went back to my house and found Gator playing chess and noticed that he had no metric showing an increase for his logic skill.  That did surprise me.

“No luck with the ruby yet,” I said sitting down opposite him at the chess table.  “We’ll just have to wait for the gems to spawn again and try again later.”

“Thanks Mr Stavros.  I appreciate your help?”

“Are you sure you can’t tell me the story now.  I’ll still help you regardless.  I'm pretty much a "by the book" kind of guy.”

“I've heard you are.  You’re a good guy.  I figured that you were ex-police since you drive a squad car.”  I looked at him speculatively but he had his head down looking at the chess pieces.  I didn’t particularly care how others perceived me.  I didn’t have the Good trait like Charity, but I always tried to behave in a manner that did no harm to others around me.

He gave up the game he was playing and reset the chess pieces ready for a new game.  “I was at Varg’s Tavern last night,” he said tentatively.  “I wasn’t supposed to be there as they’d banned me for destroying the furniture.  I was hoping to talk to Dahlia Goodfellow.  I saw her and Pip going in there earlier.  I was out the back near the fire pit when I saw Dahlia talking to a stranger in town.”

“What was he wearing?” I asked.

“He was nicely turned out in a formal waistcoat and a fancy maroon neckerchief.”  Gator had adequately described Myles.

“You may not know this Mr Stavros.  But Fawn Goodfellow and I want to marry.  Fawn says she loves me just the way I am, so she will not ask me to forsake my powers.  But I know her parents don’t want a werewolf for a son-in-law.  Fawn says she doesn’t mind if our children become werewolves but I do.  I don’t want my future children to feel undervalued by their grandparents if they become werewolves.  Lycanthropy is an awesome power but it’s the most difficult to manage.  I’ve lost two jobs because I can’t control myself during a full moon.  I just don’t want to be one anymore.  I really want to be a World Renown Surgeon and I won’t be able to manage the work hours if I remain as a werewolf.  That’s why I’ve been trying to get a Potent Cure elixir,” he said with a wry twist of his lips.

“You’d think there would be lots of skilled Alchemists in this town but there aren’t.  Did you know that Jules MacDuff was only a level 7 Alchemist before he and Hetal Anjali ran off together and left town.  Mr Kalamia was the only Alchemist I knew who has enough skill to make the elixir I want.  But he has been away so long.  I didn’t know that you could also make elixirs or I would have asked you ages ago”.  I shrugged.  I wasn’t in the habit of flaunting my skills.

“Tell me about last night,” I asked.

“So last night, I hung around outside the tavern waiting to talk to Dahlia.  I really wasn’t listening to what she and the stranger were talking about, but it did get heated.  I think she was a bit scared of him.  He was really angry and shouted at her.  When he slapped her, I stepped in to put a stop to it.  He turned on me and cast some sort of spell.  I think I fainted or something.  Anyway I came to fairly soon but there was nobody there.  I didn’t know what had happened but I thought I should stay close to the tavern to warn Pip.”

“Go on,” I said casually liking the fact that I now had some real proof that Myles was not a good Sim.

“Well the next Sim to come to the fire pit was that stranger and he had Charity Kalamia with him.  He tried smooth talking her first but she wasn’t having any of it.  He then tried to give her a Heat of the Moment kiss.” 

“She was so angry and really told him off.” 

“When she tried to walk away, he grabbed her arm and apologised.  He said he was sorry and he wanted to give her a sunlight charm.  She agreed to that but said she was going home.  But that wizard gave her a love charm instead of a sunlight charm.”

“Immediately he put some real heavy moves on her.  She seemed completely under his spell.”

“He kissed her a lot.”

“Then he proposed.  She seemed ecstatic.  She did accept the ring.”

“Then he looked up and I think he may have seen me watching them so I ran away.  I ran to tell Faith but she wasn’t at her house.  So I came here to wait for you.”  I was shocked.  I jumped up from the chess table and immediately phoned Charity but she didn’t pick up.  I phoned Faith but she didn’t pick up either.

“Gator!  We have to stop this awful engagement.  We have to stop it now, before it’s too late.  Come with me.  We have to show her what he did.  Charity doesn’t know about the love charm.  She thinks she’s genuinely in love with him.”

“Okay.  I guess I’d hate it if someone did that to Fawn.  I know why you feel like that.  I think everybody in this town except Charity knows that you’re in love with her.”  I was too focused on wondering how to find Charity that it didn’t really sink in what he had said.  Not then. 

We drove all over town looking for them but only in desperation did I recall the Fae Ray Gardens.  I wasn’t sure why but I knew Leonidas often went to the Arboretum for solace.  Perhaps the girls went there as well. 

They were there.  But not at the Arboretum – in the gardens itself.  Gator found them first.

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Online Cheezey

• Immortal
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 12:12:20 PM »
Ooh, Myles is such a sleaze. Hopefully that wedding can be stopped, but if not, a love charm sounds like good grounds for an annulment to me.

Offline Nimrod Mikkusu

• Townie
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 02:21:23 PM »
Ooh, Myles is such a sleaze. Hopefully that wedding can be stopped, but if not, a love charm sounds like good grounds for an annulment to me.

This is a prequel, so Charity will end up divorce Myles to marry Elias.

Offline Banana Bender

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 02:29:51 AM »
This is a prequel, so Charity will end up divorce Myles to marry Elias.

Actually @Nimrod Mikkusu and @Cheezey,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm really amazed at the depth you're giving us for the backstory of the fairies sent by Grim.  I am curious how Gator Wolff plays into this?  Is he to be one of the lonely souls deserving happiness? He usually ends up married in my games.  I await you next installment with bated breath.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 06:06:05 AM »
Banana Bender is almost right.  This is not a sequel of Islands of Sunset Valley.  It's more like a spin-off because I'm not using Brandon and Faith or their children as the main protagonists.

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline Nimrod Mikkusu

• Townie
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2016, 11:07:21 AM »
Yeah, it's a Backstory Spinoff.  ;D And it's Charity's backstory before the stuff that happens to her in the Island of Sunset Valley, so it's more of a prequel.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 09:08:28 AM »
Chapter 4 – Dog Day Afternoon

By the time I reached them the wedding was over.  Charity appeared to be saying her goodbyes to Faith who had to hurry off to work.  Then Charity saw us and came over to me.

“Thank you so much for being able to get here after all,” she said breathlessly looking puzzled at the toad Sim standing near me.  “Myles told me that you wouldn’t be able to make it to the wedding.”  That’s not surprising since I hadn’t been invited and didn’t know it was on.  But obviously Charity had been led to believe otherwise.  I let that one slide for now.

“Charity I need to talk to you alone.” I said urgently.

“Not now old boy.  Bad form, do you know, to lure the bride away from the groom on their wedding day,” interrupted Myles in a British accent.  I don’t why Myles suddenly developed a plummy Etonian accent because his manner of speech to me last evening was entirely unremarkable except that almost his every word to me dripped sarcasm or rudeness.  I let that one slide too.

“Charity, I really need to speak with you,” I implored.

“No, you don’t Uncle Elias!” sneered Myles emphasising the last two words.  “And why have you brought that thing here with you?”  I didn’t want to take my eyes off Charity but I felt Gator stiffen behind me at the insult.  I was also dismayed.  Myles calling me ‘Uncle Elias’ can only mean that that was how Charity explained me to him.

“Charity, the toad is Gator Wolff.  Myles turned him into a toad because he tried to intervene when he saw Myles slap Dahlia Goodfellow.”  Charity looked confused.

“What rot you do talk!” exclaimed Myles.  “A Wizard can’t turn a Supernatural into a toad!”  Myles’ fake Etonian accent slipped slightly as he became aggressive.  Charity looked more confused than ever.

“Charity, have I ever lied to you?” I asked softly.  I wanted to keep my voice quiet and reasonable to allow Myles to seem the one out of control and unreasonable.

“No,” Charity responded just as softly.  “But Myles is right.  A werewolf cannot be turned into a toad.”

“True, but one of the great Wizards could turn a Supernatural into anything,” I replied still holding Charity’s gaze.

“But Myles admitted to me that he’s not even a very good Wizard,” replied Charity clearly puzzled.

“He’s not a good wizard.  He’s an evil Wizard and possibly an evil Great Wizard.” I said urgently.

“Rubbish,” snorted Myles losing his accent entirely.  Charity looked at him and I swear that I did see alarm in her eyes.

“Charity,” I said quickly taking her hand which returned her gaze to me.  “Myles used a love charm on you because you rejected him.  You are not in love with him.  You are under a spell.  Gator can verify everything I’ve said.  Stop this now.  Apply for an annulment before this goes any further.”

“You’ve said quiet enough!” shouted Myles, his fake accent completely gone.  He snatched Charity’s hand from mine and with a sizzle of electricity, they both disappeared.

I turned around to Gator but he too was gone.  Instead, a dog stood where I’d assumed Gator had been standing.  I looked at the dog with its bright red collar:  a collar the same colour as the shirt that Gator had been wearing.

I leaned closer to the dog.  “Gator?” I asked tentatively.

The dog looked at me, woofed and ran off.  With no other option coming immediately to mind, I went home in the worst possible frame of mind.  That evening, I waited for Faith to return from work and went over to see her.  I asked her if she knew where Myles was staying as I needed to talk to Charity urgently.

Faith said she didn’t know.  She told me that Charity and Myles were going on their honeymoon to England where Myles said he grew up.  I assured her that England was only a phone call away. 

I asked Faith to phone Charity because I was certain that any call from my cell phone number would be blocked.  Faith dialled the number.  But as soon she said the phone was ringing, I could hear a phone ringing from the back room.  We both ran into the room.  Charity wasn’t in there but her phone was.  Neither of us had any way to contact Charity.  I wondered if I would ever see her again.

“Faith, please listen to me.  Myles is not a nice Sim.  He’s evil.  When Charity contacts you, please find out where she is.  It’s very important.”

“He seemed so sweet,” Faith said obviously not quiet believing me.

“But he’s not,” I said.  “We need to find out where Charity is.”  I decided not to tell Faith about the love charm.  I’d got an uneasy feeling that the more Faith knew about how treacherous Myles was, the more danger I may be inadvertently putting her in.

I returned to my house to find the dog with the red collar waiting patiently for me at the gate.  “Well come on in Gator, if you are indeed Gator,” I said opening the gate for him.  He followed me into the house.

Whether the dog was really Gator, or not, I had no real way of knowing.  I couldn’t talk to dogs and he couldn’t talk to me.  My mind lit on that thought.  If Gator was a dog, he could no longer verify anything I said about Myles.  I began to believe that the dog was Gator after all.  I wasn’t sure what breed the dog was but he did look vaguely like a brown wolf.  I called him Gator Wolfhound because I had to give him a name.  The dog followed me upstairs.  I said to the dog, “I’m too tired to deal with this tonight.  Let’s sleep on it and see if we can come up with a plan in the morning.”

Gator Wolfhound immediately jumped up on my bed preparatory to sleeping.

“Very funny Gator, get off my bed.  Go to your own room.”  The dog jumped down from my bed and went into the other bedroom.  The dog could clearly understand every word I said even if I couldn’t understand him.  Lying in bed waiting for sleep to claim my exhausted brain, I decided I would train the dog Gator to hunt in the morning.  I still might need a ruby for that Potent Cure elixir and a dog could find it faster than me even with assistance of the Collection helper.

Again I think I slept, but woke quite early still with that headache and gritty eyes.  A shower didn’t refresh me.  I checked the fridge for leftovers but realised that Gator must have eaten them while I been out looking for gems yesterday.  Yesterday!

Oh my watcher, yesterday seemed like it was centuries ago yet I felt so raw.  For a moment I felt overwhelmed.  My heart ached for Charity.  I had no idea what Myles designs on her were.  I only knew that for now, she was his instrument.  Bound to him with a love she didn’t really feel.  It was then that I’d come to think that Charity was not strong enough to withstand mental or emotional mistreatment.  She’d been cosseted and pampered by her family who adored her.  I am also partly to blame.  I loved her but never pursued that.  I wanted her to fall in love with me.  Yet I did nothing to encourage that.  I just basked in her regard and affection, hoping that time and propinquity would do the rest.  Plus I always thought that I’d get sucked back to Sunset Valley at the most inopportune time.

Shelving my thoughts to stop them dragging my self esteem down further, I made a parfait for breakfast.  It tasted like cardboard.  I shopped online to get a bowl for Gator and prepared him some treats.  Once we’d eaten, I began training Gator.  Maybe he still had some of his werewolf hunting instincts because he got the hang of it in next to no time.

He ran all over the place finding one item at a time which he brought back to my house.  By lunch time a huge collection of junk had been deposited in my backyard, including two enormous space rocks.  Seriously where on earth did he dig those up from?

I gave him some positive feedback about his hunting skills and told him we particularly needed a ruby.  I said we would divide and conquer.  I’d check at all the rock spawning sites and he could try to sniff out a ruby.  Once again I found almost every gem except a ruby.  I did find a beautiful moonstone which will be lovely when I get it cut.  I could even sell the dust for a nice profit.  Fortunately, Gator finally came up with the goods.  We had the ruby we needed.  Immediately I went to Aleister’s with the ruby to get it cut into dust.  I made up a batch Potent Cure elixirs.

Since I was there, I took the opportunity to make up some more Cure elixirs for the next full moon.  I hurried back to my house and I threw the first of the Potent Cure elixirs at the Gator.  He remained a dog.  I hung my head dejected.  I guess it was too easy to think a simple elixir could reverse that powerful a curse.

Either that or the dog was just a dog.  He looked so thoroughly miserable.  I said to him, “Gator, I will do everything I can think of to cure you.  We’ll just have to keep trying.”  The dog woofed in agreement.  I went inside the house to get him a treat to cheer him up.  As usual he followed me inside.  I decided to bath him because he had gotten a bit smelly running around and digging holes.  At least he enjoyed the bath.

Downstairs, my doorbell rang.  Not expecting anyone I opened the door to see Fawn Goodfellow on my porch.  I invited her in.

“Hello Mr Stavros.  I’ve been calling on everybody in the neighbourhood.  I’m looking for Gator Wolff.  He has been missing for two days now.  The police don’t appear to be seriously looking so I’ve begun knocking on doors hoping someone has some information.  Have you seen him at all in the last two days?” she asked looking as dejected as I felt.

I wasn’t sure whether to tell her the truth or how to say it.  Before I could even reply she saw the dog.  “Oh you have a new dog!” She exclaimed.  “Isn’t he just beautiful?”

The dog responded to her wagging his tail.  She patted him and hugged him and he almost twisting himself inside out wagging his tail non stop.  “I love dogs,” she said looking up at me.  “What’s his name?”

I still didn’t know what to say when she began to give him smoochies.  Amazingly the dog turned into the toad of the previous day. 

Fawn shrieked in fright and ran out the door.  Immediately I threw the second of my three original Potent Cure elixirs at Gator who then turned into himself again.

I hurriedly called Fawn back into the house and shut the door.  Gator hugged her assuring her he was alright now.  I went into the kitchen to give them privacy but they soon followed me in.  We sat to the dining table and Gator and I told her the story.  I realised it sounded like the plot of a B grade movie but it was unquestionably true. 

We told her that an evil wizard had cursed Gator to become a toad and then re-transformed him into a dog to stop him from being able to tell people what happened.  I believed that Fawn in her affection for the dog had found the cure to the canine curse.  I told her that I’d used the Potent Cure elixir to achieve the rest.

“But Mr Stavros, Gator is a werewolf, a supernatural.  A Wizard can’t turn him into a toad.” 

“A Great Wizard can,” I said cautiously.  I still had trouble believing it myself.  But I knew no ordinary wizard could turn anybody into a dog.  “We’re not dealing with an ordinary wizard and possibly not even a normal Great Wizard.  I think we’ve stumbled across an evil Great Wizard.  We are all going to have to be careful.  This could be very dangerous so I’d advise you to keep what happened these past two days to yourselves.”

“But Mr Stavros,” Fawn protested, “Now that you’ve used a Potent Cure elixir on Gator, he’s a normal Sim.  Won’t he be even more vulnerable against a Great Wizard as a normal Sim?”

“Well we know that being a Supernatural did not give him immunity from the curses of a Great Wizard.  Besides, Gator wanted to be a normal Sim.  But as a normal Sim, he’ll just have to take his chances with alien abductions.”  Fawn was instantly alarmed but Gator himself was unconcerned. 

“Mr Stavros, have you ever been abducted?” Gator asked.

“Yes, a few times over the years,” I replied.

“Have you ever given birth to an alien nooboo?” Fawn asked.

“No.”

“Well there you are then Fawn, I’ll take my chances, and if it happens we’ll deal with it then.  Fawn I really want to try life as a normal Sim.  If it doesn’t work out we can try something else,” Gator said placating Fawn.  I said goodbye to the pair of lovebirds and watched them drive away in Fawn’s little car.

I looked across the road to the Kalamia house and saw movement through the front window.  I knew Faith should still be at work, so I went across and rang the doorbell.  It was Leonidas who answered the door.  He looked even more haggard than I remembered.  He told me that he didn’t want company.  His mother had passed away and he’d only just returned home.

I offered my old friend my condolences and advised him that I needed to talk to him about some concerns when he felt ready to talk.  I went home and the house seemed inexplicably lonely now without Gator.  I ate a lonely dinner and tried to watch TV. 

I couldn’t take my mind of the problem of the Great Wizards.  I just didn’t know enough about them.  I had always assumed they were fantasy.  The Warlock of Palladia by Matt Gross being the perfect example.  I needed to know more to find a way to thwart Myles should he ever return.  All of us were vulnerable and I didn’t like feeling like that.  I went to the library and read a number of books on the witch/warlock/wizard theme.  Some stated emphatically that Great Wizards were fantasy.  But not all.  One particular book, The Compendium of Curses, cited the Appendices from the Alchemy book found on Aleister’s Alchemy Station.  I remembered the elixir recipe book was also a great research reference.

I ran downstairs to the Alchemy Station I knew to be down there and began to read through the Appendices.  I learned a lot more about Great Wizards, how they came to be and what they could do.  I couldn’t find any information on how to defeat them.

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Online Cheezey

• Immortal
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 09:52:05 AM »
Yup, Myles needs a good dose of karma for his misdeeds. Glad to see Gator back to the self he wants to be. :)

Offline Banana Bender

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2016, 08:25:50 PM »
Agree with Cheezey.  Myles is a mega-dirtbag.  How is Gobias going to defeat him?  I'll be reading.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2016, 04:21:37 AM »
Chapter 5 – The Worst Day of My Life

I returned home in no better a frame of mind.  I wanted to work out in my own mind how to tell Leonidas about Myles.  I didn’t see any point in shielding him from the facts.  He had to know what we were dealing with.  We had to find a way to protect not only Charity but possibly Faith and perhaps even the rest of the townies too.

Fortunately an opportunity presented first thing the next morning when I saw Leonidas in his greenhouse harvesting the plants.  I went over to see him.  I helped him harvest his plants as we talked.  He didn’t believe me about Myles.

“Look Elias,” said Leonidas.  “Faith has already told me that you think Myles is evil.  Faith and I both agree that you are about as biased as a Sim could be, when it comes to Charity falling in love with someone else.”  I conceded that he may have a point there.

“I know this is tough for you,” he went on, “I think it’s perfectly natural that you feel that Charity wouldn’t fall in love with another Sim of her own accord.  Even if she had been enchanted with a love charm, she is still in love.  It’s up to her to make up her own mind.  Love and marriage is a lot of hard work.  It takes commitment from both partners to keep it going.  A love charm may help in the beginning but patience, compassion and compromise are required to maintain it.  If that’s missing from either partner, it will fade quickly and eventually fall apart without interference.  Only time will tell.  And I am beginning to think that you, my friend, have more time in this world than your life state suggests.  Just be patient and wait to see how it all pans out.”

“As for Myles being a Great Wizard or an evil Great Wizard it’s immaterial.  There’s only one way to defeat the Great Wizards and there’s only one Sim who can do it.  And all of us are going to meet him one day.”

I thanked Leonidas for listening to me and left.  I was sure that Leonidas would feel as outraged as I did that Myles had used a love charm on Charity.  I was wrong.  More important, Leonidas knew that I loved his daughter and that I’d lived a longer life than any normal Sim would.  On the whole, it was more disconcerting that he knew I loved Charity.  But then I remembered Gator’s remark as we drove to the Fae Ray Gardens that time.  Gator said that everybody except Charity knew how I felt about her.  Maybe I should have done something earlier but I wanted her to love me for myself and not just because I loved her first.

Charity Kalamia was the most beautiful Sim I had ever met.  In truth I was years older than her father.  I acknowledged to myself that I’m not totally without charm.  I am a bit quirky but that’s not a bad thing surely?  Although I knew I was neither handsome nor young, that was my choice.  I can easily make the Fountain of Youth elixir.  I could get plastic surgery at any hospital.  I chose neither.  I guess I was vain enough to think that if I would be loved, I wanted it to be just as I am.

Fawn Goodfellow loved Gator even when he was an unattractive werewolf.  It takes more than simply handsome features to love someone but it often starts with appearance.  For Fawn and Gator, they would have met as children at school.  They knew each other before his monthly transformation into a werewolf each full moon.  They probably first acted on their attraction between full moons.  Perhaps it would have started with a love letter or a request for a date.

I had done neither.  Even when I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I loved Charity, I hadn’t made any move on her.  I never put myself out there for her to accept or reject.  But on the other hand, Charity had never written me a love letter.  She’d never called asking me for a date.  However given that she must have identified me as ‘Uncle Elias’ to Myles, it became blindingly obvious to me that she’d never viewed me as a potential love interest, but as an honorary uncle.  That hurt.

I didn’t think I could feel any more depressed than I did after Charity’s wedding.  I was wrong.  I plumbed new depths of despair.  Every day was a torture.  Some days I never even got dressed unless I went out of my yard.  Fawn and Gator became frequent visitors and they tried to cheer me up.  I didn’t cheer up until I heard the news that Myles and Charity had returned to Moonlight Falls.  Faith told me of their arrival and that they’d bought the Modern Mansion at the ritzy end of the town.

I went over to their house and even though I knew somebody was at home, nobody answered the doorbell.  The next time I went with Leonidas to visit his daughter.  Leonidas was welcomed inside but the door was shut in my face.  I was banned.  So I asked Faith to meet up with her sister at a community venue so I could at least talk to her.  Faith reluctantly agreed.  She told me emphatically not to mess this up as I may not get a second chance. 

Charity agreed to meet Faith in the garden behind the library where it was quieter and a lot less people.  I stayed in the adjacent Festival Park until Charity arrived, mercifully alone.  Then I approached her.  I was appalled at the changes in her.  She had visibly lost weight.

“How are you?” I asked her.

“I’m fine,” she replied when clearly she was not.  Her eyes appeared lacklustre.  Her natural exuberance was nowhere to be found.

“Are you happy?”  She didn’t reply.  It was a stupid question.

“So how are you getting on having all those children you wanted?”  At that question I did see a spark of resentment in her eyes and pain momentarily flashed across her features before her face turned stiff again.  I said that deliberately to provoke her.  I wanted to see if anything of the old Charity still existed.  I was delighted to see that she hadn’t totally lost her inner fire.

At that moment I felt a frisson of electricity run through my body.  I turned to see Myles standing not too far away from me with his wand in his hand.  He had cast a spell on me.  He grinned hugely as he approached.  “I wonder dear chap, if you’d ever heard of Cassandra, because you now share her fate.”  His Etonian accent had returned.  Myles then laughed uproariously and taking Charity’s hand, he led her away.

I didn’t know another Sim called Cassandra but my mind turned to possible curses I had read.  Cassandra’s curse was not a known Supernatural curse but one from Greek mythology.  Cassandra, a Trojan princess, was cursed to foretell prophecies that were true but she would never be believed.  As I’d never told a prophecy in my life, nor was I likely to, that particular curse hardly seemed a burden.  Perhaps I was being too literal.  Myles almost certainly would have given me a curse that would cause me no end of trouble.

That evening I decided to test my theory when Gator called over to see me.  “Gator have I ever told you that my real name is Gobias Koffi.  I originally came from Sunset Valley.”  Then I told him some of the facts of my life to date.

“Mr Stavros, I think the strain of the last few months is getting to you.  Why don’t you see me at my office at the hospital tomorrow?  We have a visiting Psychoanalyst I would like to refer you to.”  Despite my efforts to get him to call me Elias, Gator still persisted with calling me Mr Stavros.

“You don’t believe me?”  I asked.

“I think that you believe what you say,” he replied.  I knew then that Gator would make an excellent doctor.  He was diplomatic in delivering an adverse opinion.

“Never mind Gator, I was just testing a storyline I have been working on.”

“Are you writing again?” he asked.  “That’s good.  You need an outlet for your feelings.  Well I won’t intrude on your time anymore tonight.  It’s good to see you’ve found something else to occupy your thoughts.  Fawn has been so worried about you.”

When he left, I began to think about how this impacted on me.  If nobody believed a word I said around town, I would soon be persona non grata to everybody – not just Charity or the Kalamias.  This was a calamity of epic proportions.  I stayed home.  I kept to myself.  I did some extensions to my home, mainly because I had nothing better to do with my time and money. 

I thought a lot about Gator and Fawn.  I decided that I would give them this house when they were married.  I’d design myself something more suited to my needs.

I really liked architecture.  If I could have, I would have made it the career I would have happily stayed in my whole life.  If I’d told Gator that I’d helped designed the Mortuary Temple for the great pharaoh Amenhotep III, then I would have definitely understood why he didn’t believe that.  Perhaps I had a bit of Cassandra’s curse even back then.  If Amenhotep III had listened to me and not built the temple at the Theban Necropolis, more of it would still be intact today.  I knew the annual flooding of the Nile would damage the temple.  Oh well, my life had never been easy despite my best efforts to make it so.

After a while I was bored on my own.  I decided that if I was never going to be believed that I could just avoid statements, turn every question into another question or simply not respond when I couldn’t do either.  I did manage to socialise within this limited capacity and over time, learned from Faith and Leonidas that Charity was deeply unhappy.  Faith told me that Myles had cheated on Charity on their honeymoon.  This did not surprise me.  Nor when I learned he disliked children or that his lifetime wish was to be a Heartbreaker.

From afar, I watched with an increasingly aching heart, the steady decline of the fun loving girl I cherished, falling into despair being married to that faithless swine.  Leonidas said that she forgave him affair after affair.  Finally I heard the news that I had been hoping for.  Leonidas told me that Myles had left town.  In my joy, forgetting my curse, I exclaimed, “That’s fantastic news!”

“Yes it is,” replied Leonidas.  It took me a moment or two to realise that he agreed with me.  He believed me.  With Myles gone the curse appeared to be broken too.  Leonidas went on to say that he and Faith had asked Charity to come home but she’d declined.

Hoping that I was no longer banned from the house, I went to see Charity.  She did look sad when she opened the door to me.  As we talked it became clear to me that she believed that she was genuinely in love with him.  I wonder if Myles had cast that love spell on her repeatedly during their marriage or whether his initial love spell was a permanent one.  Either way it was clear to me that now was not the time for me to confess how I felt.  I know I’m a bit of a misfit but I’m not a monster.

I went away buoyed by the thought that she was willing to see me from time to time and I found myself looking for various ways to cheer her up.  Books, butterflies and wildflowers were her favourites and I found myself constantly on the lookout for these.  I cut gems in ever increasingly complex shapes to give to her.  Both Leonidas and I tried Vials of Potent Bliss but their effects were short lived.  Her melancholy was too intense.

Since Charity had lost her previous job with the Symphony Orchestra, Faith got her a job at the restaurant where she worked, primarily so she could keep an eye on her but also because Charity was an excellent cook.  We all hoped that she would be cheered by the positive feedback she would receive from the clients.

Then finally the disaster that I would have given my life to prevent, happened.  My beloved Charity died.  Faith told me that she thought that Charity took an elixir to forsake the Fae to become a normal Sim, then tried to repair a broken dishwasher.  Faith believed that she did it deliberately.  Leonidas refused to believe Charity could have done that, but Faith and I both speculated that dishwasher broke and instead of doing a fairy repair, Charity saw a different solution and chose death.”

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Online Cheezey

• Immortal
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 10:06:11 AM »
Oh, poor Charity! My heart broke for her reading this chapter.  :'(

I can only imagine what Gobias must be feeling now.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2016, 06:48:24 AM »
Chapter 6 – Moving Forward

To this day I’m not sure how I managed to get through that time.  My whole world felt like it had been tilted on its axis and thrown out of its orbit.  I actually don’t remember much of the first few weeks but I do remember that my life fell into a deep black hole. 

I sought solace in drowning my grief with sorrow annihilaters and other substances.  Year before I had begun making nectar with some of those plants I’d harvested.  They were mostly amazing nectars with flame and life fruits.  I drank a few just to get the nice moodlets but to no avail.  All nectars tasted the same to me.  Still I drank a fair chunk of my best vintages just for something to do.

Sometime during that period, Leonidas Kalamia asked me to meet him at the beach.  It was his favourite part of town.  He told me that he decided to leave Moonlight Falls.  He was going to Lunar Lakes as he needed a complete change of scenery.  I understood that.  I wanted out too but I was stuck here.  I knew from previous experience that the time vortex would not allow me to move neighbourhoods. 

Thankfully Faith opted to stay in Moonlight Falls although as time went by, I saw less and less of her.  Whenever her boss asked her to check out the opposition restaurants, she would often invite me out to dine with her.  I think she did that in an effort to keep an eye on me rather than for the scintillating dinner conversation about plants and seeds. 

Eventually she found someone else to spend her evenings with.  Although I had no objection to her dating an alien, I know of several among the townsfolk who thought it unnatural.  Given that I’d thought the whole town was unnatural I thought they’d have more tolerance.  Sometime about then, Faith moved into Charity’s house across town.  I rarely saw her after that.  I did hear from the scandalised townie gossips that her alien boyfriend had moved in with her.

My only reliable friends were Gator and Fawn who tried everything they could think of to lift my spirits.  I ended up giving them the house so I could move away from that part of town.  I moved into a little house near the beach and gradually cleaned up my act.  I lived quietly and mostly spent my time writing.

Gator and Fawn were married in a simple private ceremony at the Fae Ray Gardens with only me and Fawn’s St Bernard there for witnesses.  Gator was doing very well with his medical career and Fawn was dedicated to her law enforcement career.  Fawn often came to see me for extra pointers on investigation methods and analysis.  In the end, her boss asked me to rejoin the thin blue line as a consultant to work cases when the MFPD needed the extra manpower.  Since I did worry whether Fawn was really cut out for the rough part of police work, I rejoined the force.

Gator did get abducted by an alien but nothing happened.  Nevertheless that spooked Gator sufficiently that they both decided that they would become fairies.  I made them the elixirs they needed and I know for a fact that Dahlia Goodfellow was delighted with Gator’s luscious wings and Fawn’s little bumble bee wings.  I was happy for both of them.

I read in the newspaper one day that Faith and her alien boyfriend Tepeq were married and not too long afterwards, I read the announcement of the birth of their son, Julian.  I sent the boy a quirky toy to remember his eccentric Uncle Elias.  Faith was not amused. 

When not involved with police work, I settled into writing an epic adventure based on my travels.

It was around that time I heard the buzzing of the time vortex.  I was near the library.  I actually ran towards the sound.  I could have leapt with joy at the thought of finally going home.  But alas, it was not for me.  I saw another Sim clasping their hands over their ears then fall to the ground.  When the vortex mist evaporated, the Sim seemed to leave behind a body.  I was curious and touched the form.  It felt soft and insubstantial like bubbles but as I took my hand away, the form seemed to dissolve into mist.

While I was extremely disappointed that the vortex wasn’t for me, the Sim who had been sucked through it was someone that I seen around town for a long time.  I thought he was one of the paparazzi.  He was an elder and had been in Moonlight Falls almost as long as I had.  Perhaps the Supernatural elements of Moonlight Falls interfered with the time vortex.  Maybe that’s why I appeared stuck.  As time went by, every now and then, I tried to see if I could move to another neighbourhood just to see if it was possible.  I figured that if it was, the time vortex had finished with me.  Every time I tried, I still couldn’t move neighbourhoods, so I remained trapped in Moonlight Falls. 

Years passed and I decided to stop making myself Ambrosia.  I aged up to an elder.  Apart from the osteoarthritis which I seemed to develop overnight, the only drawback to being an elder seemed to be the lack of stylish clothes.  Obviously fashion designers didn’t bother catering to the elderly.

I had so few friends that it was really an astonishing miracle when I met Faith again at Zoe Durwood-Ivy’s daughter’s wedding.  Faith was now a widow and the mother of two children.  I’m not sure why she received such criticism from her so-called friends but she seemed so lonely and out of place at that gathering.  I’m not sure why she stayed for the wedding party but she did and I was grateful.  I danced almost every slow dance with Faith.

We talked endlessly and I learned that she had become a Top Chef and had left her two young sons alone on the evenings she worked.  The following day, I went to see her at her house.  I met her two sons who were quiet and very well behaved.  Julian, a fairy with green wings was doing very well at Elementary School.  Keith, an alien like his father, was an adorable toddler.  As with Faith a long time ago, I became a mentor and friend to her sons.  They gave me a new lease on life. 

I guess it never occurred to me to want what I always knew I couldn’t have.  But at that time in my life, I thought I was stranded in Moonlight Falls forever.  I wanted to be in the boys’ lives more than I wanted anything else.  Keith in particular looked up to me and I have to admit, that I thought he was going to be an amazing young man.  To live long enough to see that happen, I began to make Ambrosia for myself again.

When Faith seemed to be casting about for another husband so she could have more children, I asked her to marry me.  I confess it felt strange.  I was neither surprised nor hurt when Faith turned me down. 

Perhaps she simply couldn’t find better husband material but some time later, she asked me if I still wanted to marry her.  I said that I did.  We were married with only the boys present. 

Faith wanted to keep her name of Kalamia.  I had no problem with that.  It’s not like Stavros had been my rightful name anyway.  I was amazed when Faith fell pregnant right away.  Our twins, Leon and Hope were born without complications.  Leon was a normal Sim and Hope was going to be the prettiest little fairy with beautiful pink wings so like her aunt’s.

I adored my children.  Each day with them I was reminded that whatever the future held for me, they were my greatest achievements.  I enjoyed being married.  Faith was a wonderful wife and mother.  I did love her in my own way and I think she felt genuine affection for me too.  It wasn’t solely a marriage of convenience.  I believed it was a marriage of two Sims who truly cared a lot about each other and were grateful for the life they had.

I don’t think I ever recalled feeling more fulfilled or contented as during that time.  My work had become quite demanding as the Police Chief was pushing through on a police surge on crime.  Gator asked to see me about some problems at the hospital.  The previous Hospital Manager had been in league with the local criminal element to help fund the acquisition of certain permits.  The new Hospital Manager wished to pay off the debt to the criminals and sever those ties without being severed herself.  Gator had been tasked to act as a go between.  He told me that the criminals would cooperate if I would ‘look the other way’ at some of the criminal’s other activities.  If I agreed, the criminals would withdraw their people from the hospital and allow the new Hospital Manager to get on with the job of providing health care.

Before I could consider that, I wanted to see for myself how much the criminal element has infiltrated the hospital’s administration as that might provide some insight to a few baffling cases on our books.  I had only been at the hospital a few minutes when I heard the buzzing of the time vortex.  I wasn’t sure if it was for me this time either but it was!  No!  I had things to do and places to be!  I was meant to be at Keith’s Scout Badging ceremony at 5:00 PM.  Dammit!  I had children!  I vehemently cursed the fickle finger of fate.

The headache that began was worse than it had ever been before.  I thought for sure that my brain must be bursting.  I began to wonder if this time, I might actually die.  As the pain intensified I blacked out before my legs turned to jelly.  I recalled as I was losing consciousness, that I’d actually prayed for Grim to take me because I was certain that I’d be left brain dead and in a vegetative state if I should survive this excruciating pain. 

I woke up feeling extremely sick in my house in Sunset Valley.  It took me quite a while to recover from the experience but once again, only five minutes had passed in Sunset Valley time despite the years and years I’d lived in Moonlight Falls.

I looked around my bedroom and saw the persona of Gobias Koffi.  I hated that room; the pink walls, the mirrors, everything.  I think I hated Gobias Koffi too.  I didn’t want to be him anymore.  I looked out across the bay and saw a sailing boat.  I wanted to be on it... leaving this town for good.

The first thing I did was phone the realtor to move neighbourhoods to Moonlight Falls.  I had children who needed me!  Well I needed them.  I didn’t bother with resetting my age or changing clothes as I was simply doing nothing else but going home to Moonlight Falls.  However, when I arrived there, Moonlight Falls was in full summer when I had left in the late autumn, only hours before. 

I went to the home I’d shared with Faith and the children only to find it was vacant.  Nobody lived there.  I went around to Fawn and Gator’s house that I’d bought and renovated years before to find the house vacant and untouched.  The extensions I’d made were gone.  Similarly, the Kalamia house was vacant, it’s huge greenhouse had been dismantled.  It was as if the entire town had been reset with one major exception.  The townies I knew were the ages they had been when I left. 

Eventually I tracked down Gator and Fawn to Pappy Wolf’s old home.  They were both still fairies.  Although neither Gator nor Fawn would acknowledge that they knew me, I felt sure that they did.  I’d been reading people’s faces for centuries.  I knew something was very wrong.  Fawn couldn’t look at me.  I think she found it hard to snub me like that.  The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end.  I believed it could mean trouble for them if I pursued this, so I left. 

Everywhere I went, the feeling of an undefined menacing evil followed me.  I checked with the land titles records at City Hall expecting to find the records doctored to show I’d never lived there, only to find the records completely missing.  Other records were mysteriously gone too; the Census data showing I’d lived in the town and employment records showing I’d worked with the MFPD had disappeared as well.  Finally I checked with the IRS.  They had no record of any Elias Stavros-Kalamia paying taxes in Moonlight Falls.  I had been systematically and thoroughly expunged from the town’s existence.

I didn’t particularly want to return to Sunset Valley but I did.  At least Sunset Valley was completely normal and I thought I should at least try to pick up the threads of my old life.  I decided against resetting my age with an elixir, although I did change my clothes.  I became Gobias Koffi again but I was uncomfortable with that.  I went to the Festival Park to look around for Sims I knew.  It was a beautiful day but the children would have been in school and most of the townies should have been at work. 

One of the greatest difficulties with time travel is to pick up on the events in the lives of Sims I hadn’t seen for a very long time.  Things that would have happened yesterday in Sunset Valley happened so long ago for me that I’d forgotten more than I remembered.  I didn’t really know these Sims anymore and mostly I didn’t care enough about them to make the effort.  I’d decided that I really didn’t want this life anymore.  It was time I left Sunset Valley for good.  Enjoying the sunshine after all those years of the unusual light of Moonlight Falls, I sat at one of the park tables and opened my laptop to do some research.  I intended to head for Appaloosa Plains.  I had been born there.  My father, Gaylord used to own a cafe there.

As I closed my computer I looked across the road to the theatre and saw the most upsetting sight:  my lovely fairy wife, Faith Kalamia here in Sunset Valley, kissing my next door neighbour, Brandon Crumplebottom.  It became patently obvious from her ‘stride of pride’ just what had happened in the theatre.

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Online Cheezey

• Immortal
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2016, 10:11:37 AM »
Great chapter! Wow. That had to mess with his head so badly! It's hard to imagine what it must be like to have one's whole life erased like that.

anything