Author Topic: Amazon: Supporting Giveaways  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Amazon: Supporting Giveaways
« on: October 22, 2016, 04:45:47 AM »
While I was once in the EA Origin program, they cancelled it. This once let me get 10 expansions for a giveaway to our members. That felt great. Other times it helps with the server. This being axed has led me to look elsewhere. It may not be good for brand new games (such as upcoming City Living), since you can get digital copies from Origin sooner than via Amazon (they have a delay on new releases only), it is still something to help. Once a game is a few days past release, ordering from Amazon will instantly give you a CD key to unlock the game in Origin. So it can be a viable way to buy Sims titles in support of the forum while the Origin affiliate program is gone.

Members who would like to help and are in the US can use the top right banner before shopping for any item on Amazon. This will provide a small commission, which I can use toward things like that. We will have a few copies of City Living to give away as it stands, I wish we could do more, but we very well may get to do more of the next one if people do choose to use this :)

I'll throw it out there that this will be VERY helpful if people who are already planning to do holiday shopping on Amazon use our link to give us credit. Literally anything you buy will accomplish that. I'm not asking anyone to buy anything, just that you consider using it when you already had it planned or are grabbing a Sims addon that Amazon has at a price comparable to Origin. It is the only ad members have to see and it's just a small image, so I think it is a fair decision on my part.

If the EA origin program returns, I'll revert to that. They may bring it back before the new year.

Offline MissZoef

• Occult
Re: Amazon: Supporting Giveaways
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 01:48:35 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can only support the site via the amazon link and therefore you have to live in the US? That would be a shame since I live in the Netherlands

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 01:07:23 AM »
@MissZoef Yeah, unfortunately Amazon does not have one unified program. You'd have to be in a program for all these various countries. It's just too much to handle. I had a UK account once, which accounts for a bit more of our visitors, but it still didn't work very well to the point I don't even check it now.

That's what I really liked about Origin, it let people anywhere in the world give us credit. And the forum was really good about using that link, it let me do some cool things. Losing it was quite a blow, but I've resolved to not have ads for members here for as long as I am able to do so. Right now I do not think it is necessary and some things would have to go downhill for me to even think of it. I think the banner is small enough to keep my promise, plus the browser can cache it so as to let it load fast unlike a normal ad. Hopefully the Origin program comes back sometime in the future :)

Offline MissZoef

• Occult
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 03:56:47 AM »
I can imagine that it is a bit of a blow to loose that. I hope it comes back as well!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 05:55:47 PM »
You have my support in spirit... NZ's a bit far away, worse luck.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.