Author Topic: Important question re: Fireplaces  (Read 4139 times)

Offline Lounieus

• Nooboo
Important question re: Fireplaces
« on: June 27, 2017, 11:31:31 PM »
Hey all,

Would it be unrealistic to remove the chimney stack (the part on top of a fireplace)?

Because after putting fireplaces in the ground floor I realized that this would wreak havoc on the upper floor.

Do real life fireplaces really have "chimney stacks" on the floor above them?

Also I'd like you to consider this:

Below are pictures of a large house in the US called "The Breakers".

This first picture shows the Ground Floor's Music Room. Notice the Fireplace on the wall opposite the piano:

Below is the floor plan of the house's Ground Floor. At the right of the picture is the Music Room. Left of the "curved wall" is what appears to be the fireplace's outline:

Now here's the strange thing. This picture below shows the Second (bottom) and Third (top) Floors of the house.

Notice the right of the Second Floor, where "Mrs. V's Bedroom" is located.

The entrance to this bedroom seems to be right on top of the Fireplace below.

Yet the picture does not show any obstructing chimney stack in this entrance!

Why so?

I hope for your thoughtful comments about this.

Thanks much,
Lounieus

Offline scoed

• Watcher
Re: Important question re: Fireplaces
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 03:11:32 AM »
Gas propane electric and the like fireplaces do not have stacks or chimneys, but wood and coal one do require a stack of chimney. Fuel is the key in real life, but in Sims 3 to my knowledge all fireplaces are wood.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Lounieus

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 10:59:22 AM »
Gas propane electric and the like fireplaces do not have stacks or chimneys, but wood and coal one do require a stack of chimney. Fuel is the key in real life, but in Sims 3 to my knowledge all fireplaces are wood.

Hmm...does this mean that the house I showed in the pictures uses gas/propane/electric fireplaces? To my knowledge it's an old house, built in the 19th century.

Offline scoed

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 12:43:34 AM »
Yes, many old houses are updated. Also many wood fireplaces are being replaced with gas as they are more environmentally sound, safer, more economical, and easier to maintain and Chimneys are removed to gain usable space and for cosmetics. Please note the photo of the fireplace showed no wood to burn, no tools to maintain a fire or clean out it's ashes. That fireplace is either not functional or is something like gas. Major rule smoke needs someplace to go, if you don't provide a chimney it will ruin your house spilling into you living area, and create a major health hazard as smoke kills more people than fire.

Offline Sita

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 06:54:01 AM »
Chimneys in a large house like that could be hidden by building them (like tunnels) inside thick walls. Of course nowadays gas, etc is possible but a flue is still needed to remove the products of combustion - this can be more like the smaller chimney flues that come with the simple stove chimneys, and take up far less space in your build.
Sims builds are limited by the single grid square, which is much larger than the size a RL build item can take. So it's a challenge! Good luck with building The Breakers, it's a lovely house. Did you finish it already? Would love to see pictures...

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 03:34:55 PM »
Fireplaces also can have more than one stack.  I would suggest the house was originally built with two; left and right and these stacks are incorporated into the wall cavities in the upper floors.  You will note that the openings on the floors above are exactly the width of the fireplace suggesting how this was done.
Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Offline Magpie2012

• Tony Brooks fangirl - Jupiter Reaper fangirl too - Pippin fangirl ALWAYS
  • Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 12:38:20 PM »
I have to agree with @Magz from Oz that the plans look as if there was a double stack and it's going through the walls of the upper floors. If you had a picture of the room above the fireplace, we could probably advise clearer.

because... Math *Pippin The Most Tenacious Simmer*

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

Don't believe all the quotes that have been attributed to me. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.