Author Topic: How do you build a deck on the ps3 version?  (Read 7438 times)

Offline crashhat69

• Townie
How do you build a deck on the ps3 version?
« on: December 14, 2010, 02:41:45 PM »
Just wondering

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
Re: How do you build a deck on the ps3 version?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 07:38:11 PM »
What kind of deck are you trying to build?

For a deck like an elevated porch, you can use the Foundation tool.

For a balcony deck, use columns to provide support, then after building the deck and railing (fence), you can delete some of the columns to make it look nicer.

It's pretty much identical to the PC version. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :)

Flynn
Check out Flynn's Fineries for houses, Sims and helpful articles.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline crashhat69

• Townie
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 11:28:11 PM »
Well my pool is in the back yard; I want to build a deck so right when you walk out the back door you're on the deck and the pool is right next to it. I want the deck to be like a foot or so above the ground so you have to walk down some steps to get to the pool or anything else out back. If it's not too much to ask can you give me instructions on how to do all that? I've never actually built anything on this game lol so I need help lol.

Sorry for no capital letters and commas, the comma button and my shift button don't work most the time, so sorry if you have to edit my posts.
[No problems. Thanks for not ignoring it altogether. - Swede]

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 10:20:50 PM »
Well my pool is in the back yard; I want to build a deck so right when you walk out the back door you're on the deck and the pool is right next to it. I want the deck to be like a foot or so above the ground so you have to walk down some steps to get to the pool or anything else out back. If it's not too much to ask can you give me instructions on how to do all that?

I'll see what I can whip up. I won't be able to get to it until tomorrow or Friday. It can be a little daunting at first, but once you get used to it, it's not too hard. I'm still getting used to the console version's controls after playing the PC version for so long, heh.

The last few days, Mrs. Flynn and I have been translating some of the console houses into the PC game. It takes some time. My PC and PS3 share a monitor, so there's a lot of switching back and forth. We've done four houses so far. I've been avoiding the really fancy houses (e.g. Garage-Mahal) for now. The Lodgy and Modern Zen houses were pretty fun to re-create. I'm hoping to post some pictures in the near future. Taking pictures of the images on a TV screen don't always turn out the best. :)

Flynn

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 07:33:38 PM »
Well my pool is in the back yard; I want to build a deck so right when you walk out the back door you're on the deck and the pool is right next to it. I want the deck to be like a foot or so above the ground so you have to walk down some steps to get to the pool or anything else out back. If it's not too much to ask can you give me instructions on how to do all that? I've never actually built anything on this game lol so I need help lol.

To get things to line up correctly (assuming you want a deck attached to the house), you'll want a house built on a foundation. The Adore-Abode starter house at 110 Easy Street (middle-left side of the map), for example. Open up Build/Buy mode (press Select and choose Build & Buy from the menu). Then, follow these steps:

• Press the Square button to open the Item Catalog.
  • Select Build from the menu.
  • Scroll through the list and select Foundations & Decks.
  • Select either the Deck or Foundation object from the gallery.
  • In the lower right corner of the screen, you'll see a choice between using the square or diagonal tool. Select whichever you prefer (square is default and works best with the Easy Street starter house).
  • Draw out the deck in the desired size by holding down the X button and using the left stick.
  • Use the R2 button to switch between the Square and Diagonal drawing tool.
  • When finished, press the Square button to open the Item Catalog.
  • Press the O button to go back to the Build menu.
  • Select Stairs & Railings from the list.
  • Select Stairs to open the object gallery.
  • Select a stair from the gallery.
  • In the lower right corner of the screen, you'll see a couple of options. Click X on the Auto-Railings to toggle railings on or off. You can also select how many squares wide you want your staircase to be. Press R2 to accept the settings.
  • Place the stairs where you like with the left stick and the X button.

That should do it. Let me know if you have any questions or if anything isn't clear and I'll update the instructions. :)

Flynn

Offline crashhat69

• Townie
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 06:45:11 PM »
I moved into the 3br 3bath house and it's not built on a foundation. I dont think so; it wont let me build a deck that attaches to the house. Am I going to have to delete the whole house to put down a foundation?

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 10:51:32 PM »
Yeah, you will need to demolish the house to place a foundation. Sketch the house layout on graph paper and rebuild it on top of a foundation, or build your own layout. Unless you use the cheat (no trophies for you, heh), you'll need to play a little while to build up the money needed. :)

Flynn

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

anything