Author Topic: 2017 Tournament Finale: What Do You Want to Do When You Grow Up?  (Read 18622 times)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: 2017 Tournament Finale: What Do You Want to Do When You Grow Up?
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2017, 05:55:33 AM »
This event is now closed. I do not think any other time this season we had a situation where two players shared the win, but a big congrats to cyclonenic and GlazeyLady for throwing down perfect scores by completing all Aspirations in the game. Super impressive.

And congrats to everyone not only in this event, but to all participants throughout this season. The team really appreciates you guys taking time out of your lives to make a big reason why this forum is unique. The challenge team is taking some time off and then we'll be posting next year's General Rules as well as the first rule set soon.

Offline cyclonenic

• Townie
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2017, 09:06:43 AM »
Firstly Congrats to my co-winner GlazeyLady and thank you to Metro and his team for the challenges this year. I was super sad to not be able to participate during the middle of the year due to my computer messing up during the move from South to North England but happy to come back to the finale challenge with my new computer! As a perfectionist i always try to get as many aspirations as possible completed before my sims die in my games so i knew most of the aspirations well. I've also done the Wonder Child challenge a couple of times which is a similar enough challenge.

As this was a huge challenge i've written up the majority of my hints, tips, strategy etc in 2 files in google drive:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RKn1YK7rur2UE9gXhQ5NuzySVl0xnx34yNJ8CC0cGs8/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kMO5LnrElLM5zPsQmDbmA4-nVxgANRwnArw7Vazpjuc/edit?usp=sharing

I started my 2 sims as
Male Human Teen, Cheerful, Good and then at YA Family Oriented
Female Vampire YA, Cheerful, Outgoing, Music Lover
The tip here is: as you need to be flexible with aspirations don't choose anything with emotion moodlets like Genius, Creative. You want traits that will give Happy moodlets instead. (other good ones are Loves The Outdoors, Art Lover).

My two main tips however: Information is Power- Carls guide literally has most of the info you need to smash these aspirations (either in the guides or in the forums). What it doesn't have can be found in the other main sites/wiki's on the internet.

Don't treat this like other challenges where you do 1 aspiration then move on. You have to be dipping in and out of Aspirations to do this challenge. Make sure you note the absolute last date you can start a milestone with time related challenges to make sure you don't miss out. Start the ones with long times as early as you can(like 100 hrs on computer, 75 hours music, 20 days as a vamp).

Look forward to 2018 tournament.
Nic

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline lesleyj42

• Townie
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2017, 11:16:17 AM »
Congrats to cyclonenic and GlazeyLady on the perfect scores.

I got close but in planning couldn't figure out how to get the Big Happy Family accomplished with only one pregnancy allowed so I just bypassed completion of that one. Thanks for sharing your technique, cyclonenic.

As for my methods, there are a few tips I picked up along the way that I could add to cyclonenic's detailed link above.

My YA vampire got complete sun resistance and was very helpful in Granite Falls. The teen was completing Outdoor Enthusiast so while she was working on catching 5 fish, my vampire flew all over the woods as a bat gathering plants and insects. I was in GF for just over 24 sim hours and then went back home to finish maxing herbalism and spending 5 nights in a tent.

For those nights in a tent, my vampire also deprived the sleep need of the teen to ensure the hours necessary, but we went to parks for those nights; and, the vampire and son spent the time fishing for different types of fish to help out with the Angling Ace. Carl's guide was very helpful for knowing where to fish with what bait.

No, writing books does not count as hours spent on a computer, much to my chagrin... I didn't know that little tidbit beforehand or I would have split those two aspirations between the two sims instead of giving them both to the teen. Oops! It all worked out, but she had to spend parties playing video games/programming to manage the 100 hours.

For Fabulously Wealthy/Mansion Baron, I had my teen be a scientist for one day to make the upgraded simray to transform objects. Spent a few days upgrading the lockers from Spa Day (relatively high chance of getting the 14k refrigerator in the transformation) using the son sim to complete. I then bought a ton of the 15k violins and sold them in the sim's personal inventory. This method came from someone (I think it was LenaLJ) in the Baby Boomer challenge last year.

Another thing I did slightly differently was witnessing the death of a sim. I used my vampire's offspring once my vampire had total sun resistance and had completed the 5 good friends goal of Vampire Family. We went fishing together during the day and two of them died from sun exposure. RIP Alice SKL and Cassandra Goth.

Also... For City Native, because the festival schedule is somewhat random and they are spread over a two week period, I made sure to be ready for the next one (order: H&H, Romance, Geek Con) ASAP so I wouldn't miss one of the first two, just in case I didn't win a contest at Geek Con on the first try, I wanted to have another chance before the challenge ended. Didn't end up needing it, but I had that happen before and didn't want to risk it.

This challenge reminded me of James Turner's Super Sim series on his YouTube channel, thesimsupply. It follows one sim who maxes all skills, aspirations, and careers. The series is very long but in the beginning it was all about juggling aspirations just like this one.

Thanks again to everyone on the challenge team for all that you do. I've enjoyed participating since I found this forum last year and look forward to seeing what you guys have in store for next year.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2017, 11:33:43 AM »
My YA vampire got complete sun resistance and was very helpful in Granite Falls. The teen was completing Outdoor Enthusiast so while she was working on catching 5 fish, my vampire flew all over the woods as a bat gathering plants and insects. I was in GF for just over 24 sim hours and then went back home to finish maxing herbalism and spending 5 nights in a tent.

For those nights in a tent, my vampire also deprived the sleep need of the teen to ensure the hours necessary, but we went to parks for those nights; and, the vampire and son spent the time fishing for different types of fish to help out with the Angling Ace. Carl's guide was very helpful for knowing where to fish with what bait....

Great vampire tips, lesleyj42. Smart players can read these tips from all the high-level players and continue to improve. In fact, I'll let the cat out of the bag and say that the first 2018 event will be a vampire-focused event, so your tips are quite timely. The rule set will be posted next Monday to give everyone plenty of time to practice.

Offline cyclonenic

• Townie
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2017, 11:59:45 AM »
Good strategy. I wish i had started with sun resistance and the cocktails sooner lesleyj42. It took me ages and a lot of questions to the challenge team to work out how to get around the 3 children thing too.

I did the festivals the first time they turned up too; per the spreadsheet you can see i didn't get the H and H and Romance until late in the game (i have no luck with randomisation in life ;) ) so i was crossing fingers and toes at that GeekCon as i wouldn't get a second chance.
I have watched TheSimSupply's videos too. I agree i think they helped.

Looking forward to a vampire challenge Metro!

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2017, 12:33:24 PM »
Looking forward to a vampire challenge Metro!

Me too. :) And despite the countless remakes of the original Dracula movie, I still think Bela Lugosi is the king...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtZ5pDYgsE8

Offline LenaLJ

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2017, 03:28:28 PM »
@lesleyj42 I frequently use the violins for that purpose so that could indeed be me :)

I had planned out all the aspirations nicely, but the one missing for me was the last step of Master Vampire. In my tests games i could not get the 20 days of this one to trigger without it having been the active aspiration those 20 days. So i decided not to plan that in. I now learned that it can be done, so that is awesome.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2017, 10:23:29 PM »
Congratulations cyclonenic and GlazeyLady for your win and perfect scores --- That's so awesome! 

This was a wicked fun event.  Thanks to the team 8). Last  year, after the finale, I finished last (it was my first event, and this year, I'm on the world ranking in exactly the middle.  My goal for this year was to simply get on the world ranking with at least 3 events, but, I decided to keep going...and going because I was having so much fun.  Next year, my goal is to have more fun and become an even better challenge player.  I can't wait to see what the challenges will be.  I did see Metro's hint about a vampire event for the first event.

Great strategies everyone and so detailed cycloneic and lesley. 

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2017, 11:02:50 PM »
Congrats @cyclonenic and a HUGE thank you to the Challenge Team.  This was a great year, and this was a really fun final challenge.

I completely agree with what cyclonenic said about moving around in the aspirations - I was constantly changing those depending on what my sim was doing.  There was very little either sim did that didn't somehow move him/her closer to completing an aspiration.  For example, if fun or social needed to be raised, I looked for some aspiration assigned to that sim that could be helped by a fun or social activity.  I pre-assigned most of the aspirations to one or the other sim so that I could do this.  But I did keep a couple of them back, unassigned with neither sim working on them, and then did them late in the game when it was more clear which one would have the time to do it. 

I did a lot of research and practice for this, mostly to figure out two things - First, vampires.  I'd only played with vamps during the Super Parent challenge, and the focus was completely on completing that aspiration, so there was much about vamps I didn't know.  But I wanted to take advantage of the faster learning of a vamp, so I needed to learn about them.  I'm not sure how long I would have gone without playing them more fully, so I'm really glad this challenge allowed the vamp - it pushed me to learn about them and I have to say, it was fun playing one.  Second, I was really working on a way to meet the "friends with 3 of your children" requirement of Big Happy Family without relying so fully on getting lucky enough to get triplets. 

I had the same thought as cyclonenic - that it should be the male teen that should go for Big Happy Family because he wasn't limited to one birth.  But of course, the complication was that the teen's children couldn't live in the household.  This strategy did not work for me in practice, because although it covered the "Be friends with 3 children" requirement, when I had one of his daughters marry a son of my YA Vamp, the game did not recognize/award the "have a child get married" requirement, and when I had my YA Vamp and her two sons all become good friends with another child of my teen, the game did not recognize and award the "have a child with 3 friends" requirement.  Now that I'm typing this it occurs to me that I could have PM'd the Challenge Team to see if I could cheat that milestone in the real game if I did meet it this way, but that didn't occur to me when I was practicing.  So I went back to trying to improve my odds for triplets.  In doing that, I ran a bunch of research experiments - trying the various methods that improve the odds of triplets.  The only time I got triplets in practice was when I did ALL of these things:
1) Fertility Reward for both parents (meant the teen had to age up and have the babies with the YA vamp)
2) Herbalism Elixir of Fertility
3) Fertility Massage
4) Had the mom-to-be watch kid's tv and listen to kid's radio.  I also threw in some reading of children's books when she was really bored with kid's tv, but I'm not sure that helped.
5) Ley Lines Lot trait set continuously from before the Try for Baby until after the birth
6) Also had them woo-hoo multiple times before taking a pregnancy test, and had them woo-hoo a lot during pregnancy - I haven't tested either of these, but I've seen some comments that some people think it helps, so I threw it in there.

The first time I did all of these things, I got triplets.  So then I wanted to see if that was repeatable.  Out of 5 experiments, I got 3 sets of triplets and 2 sets of twins.  So it wasn't sure-fire but did seem to improve the odds.  At that point, I started my actual game, did all of these again, and got triplets - so the result for me was 50/50 for twins/triplets, even with doing ALL of these, and I was just fortunate to get trips in the challenge.   :) 

@cyclonenic - I read through your very awesome and detailed notes and other than a few details, my strategy was nearly identical. It's really cool reading through your strategy and seeing how much your thought processes exactly matched mine!  :D   But I was too quick to abandon my strategy to have the teen complete Big Happy Family.  I see that I was on the right track having my teen impregnate my YA, but I was so focused at that point on getting triplets that it didn't occur to me that I only needed one child that I could control.  I made a lot of work for myself on this. :(  But this is one of my favorite things about these challenges - I always learn new tips, strategies, and solutions.

I really enjoyed this year of challenges - I had more time this year for research and practice, and I really enjoyed that.  I was feeling sad about the challenge year ending, and then I read the comment from @Metropolis Man about posting the first ruleset for 2018 next Monday, and started feeling excited about the beginning of next year rather than sad about the end of this one.

Again, a HUGE HUGE thank-you to the Challenge Team and to everyone who shares strategy and tips.  This game is so much more fun for me because of all of you, and I really appreciate you all for that!

Offline lesleyj42

• Townie
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2017, 09:29:12 AM »
Again, a HUGE HUGE thank-you to the Challenge Team and to everyone who shares strategy and tips.  This game is so much more fun for me because of all of you, and I really appreciate you all for that!

I second that! Reading everyone's strategy for challenges is definitely a big part of why I keep coming back and that includes yours, GlazeyLady. Congrats on the win and second place overall!

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2017, 09:39:19 AM »
Congratulations to @cyclonenic , @GlazeyLady, @LenaLJ on a job well done. Congratulations to everyone that participated, we learn so much from these challenges, plus we branch out to different parts of gameplay that we never thought of using.

Shannon

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2017, 09:33:35 AM »
Great strategy, as well, GlazeyLady 8).

My strategy was pretty complex.

I decided after I looked at all the aspirations during practice which ones I would do as 1, 2 and 3 milestones --- unless I finished them.  I did 23 partial aspirations and completed 4 full aspirations -- so I did almost all the aspirations --- I didn't do the vampire aspirations.  My teen and YA were both human. 

Full Aspirations:
Sim A (YA)
Body Builder
Grilled Cheese
Sim B (teen)
Angling Ace
Painter Extradinaire

I kept switching between the aspirations I knew they would complete, and the ones that were partial aspirations.  Before even practicing, I knew that I would have better luck just trying to do the milestone I’s, and keep going when I could, which was most of the time.  For example, on the first part of the first day, the teen and YA went to the gym in Willow Creek, and the teen fished in 3 spots and caught I think it’s 5 fish, while the YA got the first milestone and part of the second in bodybuilder done, as well as completing the first milestone in Chief of Mischief and Public Enemy. 

Completed Aspirations: every 6 days
Milestone III, Milestone II and Milestone I
Milestone III: --- completed every 3.5 days
Two Milestone 1 per day
One Milestone II per day = 5 days for the teen and 4 days for the YA

I did part of each aspiration every day, as well as part of the one’s, which were milestone 3, and completed milestone I’s and II’s.
The YA got pregnant by Travis Scott, and had triplet girls in my scoring file!  I had the YA eat strawberries and listen to pop music while she was pregnant with the "on ley line" lot trait.

I also had both the YA and the Teen create clubs, getting the skill boosts and rally the troops perk points and changed the lot traits very often --- except for the milestone I’s (sometimes, I changed lot traits, even then.)  The triplets were all angelic toddlers and whiz kid/genius children.  I had them be whiz kids because some of the goals for the parent asperations helped the children and the YAto further their goals.
I used Leana’s spreadsheet during my 3 practice runs, as well as during my scoring file.  I had the offspring do school projects to get that A in school.

They lived in Rippling Flats in NewCrest. 
The YA had the following traits: genius dance machine cheerful
The teen had the same traits (so dance machine was added when the teen became a YA.)

I bought both of them the following reward traits:
always welcome, night owl, morning sim, carefree and never weary.

anything