Author Topic: A Sharebear Legacy: The Butterfly Effect  (Read 18252 times)

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: A Sharebear Legacy: The Butterfly Effect
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 09:07:45 PM »
Oh no! Darn you, Romance Guru! You're such a pessimist!
I'm so glad that Cherie successfully resisted the dubious charms of smooth Brook in his San Myshuno sweater. (I swear, that sweater really gets around!)
Awwww, how awesome Gizmo resembles a dog you owned growing up! That makes him even more special!

I love being able to read about Cherie and ponder the what-if's of the decisions my Sherilee has made.
Well, actually with different fates, she can do it all, can't she?

ESPECIALLY when @reggikko joins us. C'mon, what are you waiting for? The water's fine! :D

Back to your chapter, I was reading a legacy this morning by a simmer who always starts out by deleting all the premade sims.
It's too late for me now, but I'm tempted to try it next time for added unpredictability.

Lovely update! I hope Cherie can reunite with her Daniel real soon!

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 09:13:19 PM »
Oh my!  Poor Cherie!  I love the flow of this story ^^ The theme is just awesome!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2018, 08:18:07 AM »
Wow!  The Romance Guru is harsh!  Poor Cherie!
The disappearing spouse, eh?  Ah well, at least she still has Gizmo to help her find a new one.  I mean, surely there's another nice-enough smelling Sim out there  ;=)
"The comforting warmth of another person's touch" coupled with her greeting the skeleton was a priceless moment!  All around, a lovely update...to read.  Probably not as lovely for Cherie with her dart poison, disappearing spouse, and horrid fortune telling experience.  Looking forward to more!

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2018, 01:17:59 PM »
@oshizu Heehee. Gizmo's breed is listed as "Brittany" and my childhood dog was an English Setter, but the feathery tail and the markings (and the tendency to roll in smelly fish piles) are all very familiar to me. It so nice! I love the Cats & Dogs expansion!
Ooh. Deleting all the premades sounds like fun, but I'm afraid I would feel too guilty about it. I'd have to leave all the ones I have sentimental attachment to . . . and that's most of them.

@Shewolf13 Thank you so much! I'm still kind of feeling my way through this style, but it's coming out better than I expected. I keep writing drafts and going, "This is awful!" and then reading them back over and going, "Oh . . . it's not so bad!" I'm glad you're enjoying it.

@PeregrineTook Yes! Gizmo is on the hunt! Gizmo's nose always knows! All's well that ends well, even if you get poisoned and dissed by a romance guru along the way. :)

Chapter 3:  Knight Errant

Don’t make plans, he tells me?  Don’t make PLANS? I have to make plans. I have literally ten generations of plans to make, and Daniel was the one plan I really felt good about.

But he’s gone, and Gizmo is cheerfully, faithfully unhelpful when I ask him what to do.

So I go home to seek answers, or at least a distraction in my dirt clumps and artifacts, and the one luxurious lamp I’ve allowed myself to purchase to furnish my perfect lot.

Then, I really splurge and buy a display case to document and briefly display my precious finds before I’m forced to sell them off.

To buy a door.

To start a home . . . for the errant knight in shining armor, who finally grows tired of waiting for the promised call, and decides to make one of his own.

I’m so grateful I could weep.

Instead, I propose.

And since we’re at the park, anyway . . .

I marry him on the spot.

It’s said that absence makes the heart grow fonder. I can attest to the truth of this, but I’d add that it also, and perhaps more importantly, makes the mind more decisive. Daniel and I are both spared endless dithering and anxiety on my part because the moment it looked as though I couldn’t have him, he became the only thing I was certain I wanted.

He keeps his pink llama sweater (because I love it), but grows out his hair and adds a scruffy beard over those baby-round cheeks. I give him dominion over the garden.

He wants to be a chef, but has to begin with the public grill. I promise him a kitchen as soon as it can be arranged.

Gizmo shows his loyalty to our new family member immediately. I’m grateful he doesn’t hold a grudge.

While Daniel tills the earth and mans the grill, I continue to seek out treasure.

For a moment I wonder if I’ve inadvertently achieved sainthood.

It turns out I’ve just acquired a skeletal assistant.

She’s quite silly, and Gizmo doesn’t know what to make of her, but it’s nice to not have to worry about the dishes for a few days.

Daniel is initially not excited to meet her.

But then realizes she can help with the painting I’ve asked him to take up (she inspires him! How lucky!), and household peace is restored.

I do a lot of fishing.

Gizmo naps near fish piles, and requires many baths.

Eventually, to assist with Daniel’s aspiration, we throw a bafflingly successful dinner party. Only a silver, as things done in groups of three don’t register as they should, but a silver is all we needed, and we walk around in a haze of pride for days. We don’t even have walls, but Diego Lobo himself said he had a lovely time! He hopes he’ll be invited again!

Daniel’s plants grow.

And Gizmo finds more fish piles. But I come to realize more and more that I’m only working to save enough for another few days’ stay in Selvadorada. The jungle still calls to me, and as I grow more confident in listening to the small voice inside me that does actually seem to know what it wants, I accept that my days as an adventurer are not over.

So we return.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2018, 01:40:01 PM »
So great that Daniel phones Cherie so that they can be reunited and married!
I'm loving Daniel's new look with the longer hair and scruffy beard. Um umm ummm!
Awwww, so sad about Cherie having to sell off her treasures! :(
The skeletal assistant is hilarious--I want!

Sorry to hear about that missed party goal. In the IDC thread, Metropolis Man gave the go-ahead to count a party as gold if the remaining party goal(s) don't register.
What do you think about applying that to our Sharebear legacies? Yes, it's subjective but we can tell when we're running out of party goals, right?

And yay, Cherie's back in Selvadorada!
Looking forward to more about Cherie's adventures in Selvadorada!

P.S. Does the Jungle Adventures xpack mean that we have an infinite number of Selvadoradans as future spouse options?

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 03:47:52 PM »
Woo!  Way to go, Daniel!  So happy that he and Cherie were not doomed!  Ooo, love her skeletal assistant.  Can't wait to see what else she gets up to in Selvadorado.

Offline rika1431

• Townie
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 06:46:59 PM »
AW YAY, DANIEL CALLED. I was so worried, and then he called, and she got her happily ever after after all, and I'm so happy I could cry. They're both so pretty, I can't wait to see what babies they'll make. :D Gizmo is just the best companion ever. And more adventuring! I can't wait to see what she finds.

That skeletal assistant is so cool! How did she get it? Is it temporary?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2018, 11:59:09 PM »
Cherie and Daniel are going to make great kids! I'm glad you left his jersey top thingy on him, it actually looks really cute. I've always found it quite weird that marriages can not happen in destination worlds but it's all worked out now so thats good.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2018, 09:42:03 AM »
Yay!!  Daniel came back!!!  I'm so happy with that turn of events  :=)
Dear, sweet Gizmo taking right to Daniel and curling up in front of his was absolutely adorable!
The shot of Cherie as she received her skeletal assistant was just priceless!  St. Cherie, patron saint of patience in a spouse hunt  ;=)

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 01:58:27 AM »
And now I'm caught up here! Daniel seems like an awesome spouse. There's such an underlying sense of melancholy in this story. I'm looking forward to more adventures (and babies!).

Offline LenaLJ

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2018, 03:43:02 AM »
Glad to see how wonderfull it goes for Cherie, what a beautifull picture of them running to the altar

Offline wa-wa-world

• Vaguely Confused
  • Occult
  • Hi I'm Anna its nice to meet you
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2018, 12:54:26 PM »
Awh that last update was great, Gizmo is such a cute dog!

I love Cherie too and the skeleton assistant is so weird it's great!
Gallery Id: Soda_Stealer

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2018, 07:52:40 PM »
@oshizu I had so much fun dressing Daniel up. I love all the new Jungle Adventures stuff. The skeletal assistant is a godsend. I'd make her a secondary spouse if I could!
The game does seem to be spawning Selvadoradans on a blessedly regular basis, so I think spouse-hunting while on vacation may become a Sharebears family tradition. :)

@Shewolf13 I was so relieved when he called! I didn't know what I was going to do! This game, I tell you.

@rika1431 I'm a teensy bit ahead, so I can tell you the babies are, indeed, gorgeous. The skeletal assistant lasts for a couple of days and then disappears, but then you can re-summon it! If your totem is gold you can use it over and over, but because Cherie's is only wooden it got used up after three times. I'm getting a new one ASAP, though. The assistant does all the housework, helps with the kids, and gives everyone a happy moodlet. Priceless!

@Playalot I fell in love with Daniel's cardigan all the way back in the first JA livestream. It's so adorable! And Daniel wears it well.

@PeregrineTook I don't know if it's because Gizmo is loyal or just because dogs are adorable, but he's always curling up right next to one person or another, content to just be near them while they're doing whatever task they're doing. It makes me very happy.

@reggikko Daniel is a great spouse. He's an adult, which is not ideal, especially on short lifespan. I got attached to him quickly, though, so there was no turning back!

@LenaLJ Glad you liked that picture! The running seemed very appropriate this time. I was dying to get them married just to get Daniel into the household!

@wa-wa-world Thanks! Gizmo really is wonderful. I'm way too attached. I think the skeletal assistant may be my favorite part of this whole pack. Makes spending so much of this legacy on vacation totally worth it.

Chapter 4:  Council Counsel

Dig piles go faster with two, and contain more prizes.

And royal baths are considerably more exciting.

But then, eventually, inevitably, the day comes that I must face reality. I will age. But not today. I am allowed to turn back the clock once, and so I do, but mentally I turn a page. My first young adulthood was for me to find my own way. The second will be to clear the path for the generations to come. This will be my last trip to the jungle. The time has come to plant my roots.

Daniel and I celebrate my un-birthday in a style befitting the jungle.

One last time, we face the dangers of the temple together.

And reach the end together, to find that I have been granted the blessing of a sun . . . which is to say, a son.

Or perhaps two. Either way, my pregnancy is confirmed, and it’s time to go home and ready ourselves for parenthood.

After a brief trip to the vet, of course. Gizmo can’t seem to tear himself away from those Selvadoradean squirrels. Chasing things we know are impractical and will only cause us harm is something Gizmo and I have in common. Fortunately, his jungle days are as over as mine.

We make enough from selling our treasures to put up almost all of the walls on our house’s first floor.

And Daniel finally gets his coveted stove.

I’m suddenly desperate to make some accomplishments and tick some things off the incredibly long list I’ve been handed, so I decide to embark upon a career. Scanning the available possibilities for something that will provide quick promotions and be at least a semi-good fit for my presently-held skills of archaeology and fishing, I come to the only possible conclusion: I must become a scientist.

Something seems inevitable about this. Like the lot, and some precious few other decisions I’ve made, it somehow seems as if it could never have been any other way. Flap their wings as they might, the butterflies would never have buffeted me towards any other line of work. I was born to be a scientist. On my second day of work, my child would be born into the world.

Only time and the butterflies know what destiny awaits him.

By which, of course, I mean them. Myron and Andres. My sons on this earth, and my suns in the sky. I face a moment of panic when it come to naming them and even comb my memory for some scientific bear nomenclature that might bear some passing resemblance to a human name, but Daniel fulfills his husbandly duties admirably and simply touches my arm and says, “Why not leave it to chance? So many other things in their lives will be handled that way. It seems to fit.”

And so it does. Their names are as perfect as their tiny faces, and even if I didn’t choose them, I know that they are right.

Daniel takes up a new hobby, and Gizmo perfects his favorite hobby of being loyal and close at hand.

Perfection achieved, he decides not to get up from that position ever again. He has done his duty, and reached the pinnacle of doghood. There is nothing left to do but move on.

He did so with ease, but I don’t have any idea how the rest of us are going to manage.

I fish all night after Gizmo leaves us. It seems wrong without him periodically checking up on me and dropping mysterious gifts at my feet, but I honestly can’t think what else to do. Nothing is clear, anymore. No gentle, wet nose is prodding me in the right direction. No one licks my hand to assure me that this is all fine.

Fishing was the right thing to do yesterday, so perhaps it will also work for today. I’m level 9 fishing now. Heaven only knows what will happen when I max it. Then we’ll really be at sea.

And then, after countless hours, days, and concerned pedestrians pass, after Daniel has finally given up begging me to come home and hold my sons . . . the phone booth appears.

One: Ah, there’s our girl! I was afraid for a minute I used the wrong power cord for that thing.

Two: Oooh! Are those cupcakes?

One: Yes! I decided since I’m hosting this time there ought to be snacks. Help yourself!

Three: Um, I don’t want to seem inquisitive, but wasn’t I a cool guy with a beard last time?

One: Yes, but I decided it’s funnier if you’re a hobbit, so . . .

Three: You don’t think that makes me look a touch out of place with you two in your futuristic anime garb?

One: Sure it does! That’s the point!

Three: So I’m essentially a sight gag is what you’re saying?

One: Yup! I downloaded a height mod and everything! I couldn’t find any hairy hobbit feet cc, though. I was shocked and deeply disappointed.

Three: All right, then. Just checking.

Two: Now, now. You’re not just a sight gag. You’re a sight gag and also an indispensable member of the council.

One: Yes. That, too.

Three: Oh. Thanks.

Cherie: *clears throat*

One: Oh, hello, sweetheart! Lovely to see you. How are you, dear?

Cherie: Well, . . . my dog died . . .

One: Yes, and you’ve wasted a really impressive amount of time being sad about that. I’m sure he’s very flattered, but here the thing: you have an insane quantity of things to accomplish (I should know! I have a whole spreadsheet about it!) and I’m going to need you to get back to it.

Cherie: So you called me here for a pep talk?

One: No, no. I’m terrible at those.

Two: We noticed.

Three: I didn’t want to say anything, but wow! Yeah! You’re awful.

One: I called you here to tell you it’s fully in line with the rules to invite ghosts back into the household, so if Gizmo is what you need to keep your spirits up and your engines revved, then go ahead and invite him next time you see him. He can stick around and advise the entire legacy if you want!

Cherie: Oh, well . . . that’s okay, then. I’ll do that.

One: Marvelous! And then if you could just get your portraits done, increase your home value to about $400,000, max 16 skills, complete 4 aspirations, 2 collections, 2 career branches, all the emotional paintings, buy 9 potions of youth and all the consumable rewards, kill two people in interesting ways, and throw 37 gold parties we’ll be in excellent shape! Off you go, kiddo! And don’t forget to have fun!

Two: *sighs* We really, really need to work on your pep talks.

Cherie: Can I have a cupcake before I go?

One: Eh . . .

Three: Yes! You poor, neglected redhead. Here you go! *tosses*

Cherie: Ooh! It’s got bacon!

One: That’s my favorite, too! Bye, now!

______________________________________________________________________________________

And that is how I meet the people in charge.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2018, 09:05:17 PM »
Yes.  I would be focused more on her being a redhead  ;=)  Me as the Hobbit for the sight gag was a clever choice.  I'm 6'6".
I was so sad when Gizmo passed, but then found it so brilliant that the immortal ghost dog can live on as the faithful guide for the legacy!  So clever!!
Loved the update and looking forward to seeing those nooboos grow up  :=)

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2018, 10:07:50 PM »
Oh wow! Not Gizmo! -- sniffles -- But, have to say, immortal ghost dog is awesome! I love the Council! I laughed a bit too hard about the Hobbit hehehe sorry Pippin!

anything