Author Topic: How long do you let babies be babies?  (Read 3365 times)

Offline Sindocat

• Fairy Godfather
  • Townie
How long do you let babies be babies?
« on: June 18, 2019, 05:15:23 PM »
First time parent in TS4, looking for advice. 

I am in the first day with a new baby in my household, with aging off in settings because I only got on the TS4 bandwagon with the free base game give-away and am still learning the game.

So my baby is a baby and will be one until I decide to age him up.

I have seen the options from the basinette in base game, and it looks about comparable to what one could do with the larval stage babies in TS3, that is to say, a few cute cuddles, feeding, changing but not a whole lot more.

I am considering the Parenthood Game Pack (having read Carl's guide to its features). Does it add anything for infants?

Both parents had completed their initial Aspirations and I had them each pick a different branch of the Family-oriented Aspirations to move on with, as I had already decided that they wanted at least one child.  But all those Aspiration interactions seem to center on Toddler+, and none of my interactions with a baby count for either.

Will I be missing stuff (hidden rewards, etc. or even just fun, non-obvious interactions) if I head right on to Toddlerdom?

Thanks for any advice and happy Simming!
"Who cannot draw upon three thousand years is living from hand to mouth." - Goethe

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
Re: How long do you let babies be babies?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 06:13:34 PM »
Parenthood doesn't add anything in regard to babies except that the parents can get Parenting skill by interacting with them. Parenting skill builds pretty quickly, though, so there still isn't much incentive to keep them as babies. The toddlers are a lot more fun and add quite a bit to gameplay.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Sindocat

• Fairy Godfather
  • Townie
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 07:08:03 PM »
Just what I needed to know, thanks! <3
"Who cannot draw upon three thousand years is living from hand to mouth." - Goethe

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 07:25:27 PM »
I make it part of a mini-challenge in some of my games. Can't age up the baby until the older toddler sibling maxes all skills; can't age up the older again child until 'x' happens...and so on.

Keeping a baby is useful for leveling parenting skill or just to increase the difficulty level of a game if you've been lucky enough to have triplets etc
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Sindocat

• Fairy Godfather
  • Townie
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 03:35:27 PM »
I can see that. This is my first TS4 child, however, so my Challenge Level is already over 9,000. :) I appreciate the insights, however, as this is certainly not the last time I'll do this. 

Also, I am so glad I didn't get twins or triplets.  Alfie is a handful all on his own!

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 03:55:09 PM »
I tend to age them up immediately, as I'm not too fond of crying furniture with no way for me to check on their needs. Plus, I'm always really curious to see how they turn out appearance wise.
A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
Time enjoyed is never time wasted

Offline Sindocat

• Fairy Godfather
  • Townie
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 08:21:34 PM »
Right? The more I look at Alf, the more sure I am that he inherited Avery's bone-structure rather than Riley's. And I am glad. Riley was an early effort. Avery is the more interesting-looking Sim.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 11:11:34 PM »
I tend to age them up immediately, as I'm not too fond of crying furniture with no way for me to check on their needs. Plus, I'm always really curious to see how they turn out appearance wise.

lol!   ;D btw if you did level up parenting skill you can see what they need..but I get your point. I like keeping 5 or 6 babies and toddlers in a single parent household... the mess is amazingly good for making a single sim work hard. *evil grin*
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Dadjokes502

• Nooboo
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 12:08:18 AM »
I aged up immediately I had triplets Ivy Rose, Twain and Atticus
Toddler is  hard not sure how I’m going to do it.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 08:21:35 PM »
I age babies up after they are fed and have had their diaper changed.  I also sometimes have both parents rock the baby.  Then, I age up.  I used to just have each parent rock the baby and age it up.  After toddlers happened, I decided to get the baby's needs up first! :P

Offline DrWho42

• Llama Wrangler
    • Linktree
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2021, 03:32:49 AM »
almost never but then i'm a terrible parent

Offline scoed

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2021, 07:28:41 AM »
I age them up as soon as I get the object in the shape of a baby needs are up.