Author Topic: Info for the spell caster scientists! (and a post for hidden fun facts for ROM)  (Read 4190 times)

Offline scoed

• Watcher
I learned something unexpected today. Making potions and casting spells can trigger eureka moments for the scientist career as I have had it happen! Fun! Yes I am attempting to make the most broken sim ever. A Doctor Doom for my game so to speak when I tripped on this. The fact the most powerful career in Sims synergizes with the most powerful lifestate is kinda cool in a busted kind of way. Both need a bunch of collectibles that being a Magic user can provide once you find one of said collectible. Potions can Max needs in seconds increasing job performance. Making said potion and raising your magic xp gets you eureka moments. It seems science and magic aren't that different after all.

what strange discoveries have you made about the ROM pack and casters?

Offline furbyqueen

• Llama Wrangler
  • doo?
Apples mean never having to sleep/eat/pee ever again. You can kill at will. No more cooking.
***Fontaine Legacy [ON HIATUS]***

• Lauren
  • Lyla
  • Leah
  • LucyLyndon Lily
  • Leanne
  • Laney
  • Luna
  • Lorraine (A)
  • Lincoln (C)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
Fun fact, you know how when your Spellcaster fails to brew a potion it knocks them out and any Sim helping them? Apparently a botched potion can take out any Sims in the vicinity, not just the ones involved in the brewing process. Simeon Silversweater was just minding his own business when BOOM my Sim's potion exploded and caught him in the crossfire as well as my own Sim. Poor guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time, it's rough being a Sage sometimes. :P In the meantime, I was doubled up in fits of laughter rofl.

Oops.jpg

Offline scoed

• Watcher
Fun fact, you know how when your Spellcaster fails to brew a potion it knocks them out and any Sim helping them? Apparently a botched potion can take out any Sims in the vicinity, not just the ones involved in the brewing process. Simeon Silversweater was just minding his own business when BOOM my Sim's potion exploded and caught him in the crossfire as well as my own Sim. Poor guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time, it's rough being a Sage sometimes. :P In the meantime, I was doubled up in fits of laughter rofl.

Sadly I don't. I have supermaxed three casters, and I have yet to fail making a potion, casting a spell or anything. I am even having an issue getting my casters to overmax. I did it, but I had to do it twice for my sim to die. This is my biggest issue with this pack. Bad things seem so rare but at the same time god like sim powers are granted very early. Thanks for the info. I want to experience this, curses, and other negative side effects of magic, but it hasn't happened yet. I am wondering if my game is bugged to always succeed or if I am super lucky in a bad way, or if failures are as rare as they seem to be. Maybe I am playing wrong them wrong to fail? Rainbow Dash were your needs low, were you lacking skill? I want to reproduce the bad luck and have my sim fail.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
Posted by: scoed« on: September 14, 2019, 02:22:11 PM »Quote from: Rainbow Dash on September 14, 2019, 08:09:17 AM

Sadly I don't. I have supermaxed three casters, and I have yet to fail making a potion, casting a spell or anything. I am even having an issue getting my casters to overmax. I did it, but I had to do it twice for my sim to die. This is my biggest issue with this pack. Bad things seem so rare but at the same time god like sim powers are granted very early. Thanks for the info. I want to experience this, curses, and other negative side effects of magic, but it hasn't happened yet. I am wondering if my game is bugged to always succeed or if I am super lucky in a bad way, or if failures are as rare as they seem to be. Maybe I am playing wrong them wrong to fail? Rainbow Dash were your needs low, were you lacking skill? I want to reproduce the bad luck and have my sim fail.

I don't remember if my Sim's needs were low, I think they were halfway there, I wasn't lacking skill expect maybe in the potion department. I just kept making my Sim cast spells and brew potions until it happened, I think being overcharged makes failure more likely to happen and my Sim was often overcharged. She also had the clumsy trait but I don't know if that has an affect or not. :-\

I found there are too many perks that prevent your Spellcaster from failing so I had her drink a Perk Purging Potion and made sure not to rebuy any of those. One sure fire way to get one of the curses is to have your Sim lose a lot of duels, it's best to challenge the Sages if you want to do that. You could always cheat to equip one of the curses, Carl posted the cheats in his guide.

One thing out I should mention, if your Sim fails to brew a potion, they will get a potion vial called "Potion of questionable contents" in their inventory, they have to drink that to get a random curse. You have up to three curses on your Sim at a time.

One thing I did with my Spellcaster was to take it slow, I didn't feel like rushing everything, you can definitely make the gameplay more challenging by placing restrictions on yourself, ie: don't go running to the Sages for spells and potions every few hours. I think it's an interesting way to play the pack but that's just me. Anyway, I said a lot but I hope it helps. :)

Offline mousef

• Llama Wrangler

Someone on the EA forums mentioned that traits which prevent Tense moodlets seem to also eliminate most negative side effects for spellcasters. Maybe that's what's causing it for you?
Spells and potions backfire for my spellcaster A LOT despite full needs and high rank, and they are indeed accompanied by a tense moodlet.

Offline scoed

• Watcher
I guess I must be bugged or lucky (or is it unlucky as I want failures). I been trying to get cursed with a fresh sim, no perks, no bonus traits, no CC no mods no nothing and well still no curses. I feel cursed with the curse of no curses, no cool curse potion, no fun at all. five casters four virtuosos, three supermaxed zero curses. (One caster soul reason to exist was to die the new death and join my collection. She never made it to virtuoso.) I will make a new sim she/he will learn one recipe spam make it tell the game will not let her/him, fix her/his needs barely enough to resume and repeat until dead or cursed. Grrr. I want a cursed sim.

@mousef and @Rainbow Dash For the info.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline scoed

• Watcher
It happened! I got cursed!!!!!!!!!! Sadly it wasn't a bad curse, Curse of Scrambled Spells actually isn't bad. I fail occasionally but more often the spell works as intended or often better then intended. I wasn't expecting any form of power up from being cursed but going from one copy to two or three copies with CopyPasto is an upgrade even if the item vanishes every 4th time or something. I like that spells are a bit more random and more powerful. Now I want a curse that is more downside than upside. I thought curses are supposed to be bad.

Sadly I still haven't had a potion go bad. My curse happened when CopyPasto backfired cloning ingredients. No perks ave been taken on this not witch to date. I am thinking I bugged as this is ridiculous.

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
  • Oh the grill indoors will be fine!
When I had scrambled spells, instead of repairing a broken sink it copied it. When I tried to decursify, it added another curse. 
It is a little thing of my own. I call it "Heart Foam". I shall not publish it. Farewell! Patience, Patience, farewell!

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
My Sim fails potions a lot, Snape would not be amused, lol. Failing too much at anything, potions, dueling or casting spells will eventually result in a curse.

If you complete the Potion Purveyor aspiration you can hex your potions, some of them only do lame stuff like give your Sim a negative moodlet, others do fun things like turning your Sim into a ghost for a while, I had fun with that one. :P

Offline scoed

• Watcher
Well It happens that I got cursed again I finally failed at potion making. No i didn't get cursed for that but got a questionable contents  potion in my inventory, copypasto the potion, drank it and got three curses all at once. It was grand! My sim couldn't stop laughing, couldn't be clean, and was woken by a ghost every time she tried to sleep. My poor sim.  Her life was a wreck. I learned the spell only cures one curse and has a cool down but not so with the potion. It completely cured the remaining two. So cool how messed up that potion is. I am going to copypasto it like crazy and pass it out like candy! The Magic realm will never be the same! (Yes, I am evil, as I will not pass out the cure, just the curses.)

@Rainbow Dash It is the perk "Potent Potables" that allows you to curse potions. The reward for the potion aspirations is "Master Mixer" which makes it rare to fail at potion, drinking or mixing. And yes being turned into a ghost for a while from a failed immortality potion is fun.

And now for a helpful hint. Casters are broken. You can easily complete Fabulously Wealthy aspirations as a caster two ways. First abuse copypasto. Find a copyable high value like a rare tome. Spam copypasto, boom second fastest path to riches. Now for the most broken was for a caster to make profit and complete that aspiration. Take the "Magical Discounts" perk. Go to the Realm of Magic. Go to the stalls buy as many high value items as you can. Sell those items. Rinse and repeat as often as desired. The discount makes it so items you buy at the stalls only cost 50% of value but when you sell such items you receive 80% of the value of said items. Money for nothing.   

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
Posted by: scoed« on: September 21, 2019, 10:52:19 AM »@Rainbow Dash It is the perk "Potent Potables" that allows you to curse potions. The reward for the potion aspirations is "Master Mixer" which makes it rare to fail at potion, drinking or mixing. And yes being turned into a ghost for a while from a failed immortality potion is fun.

I knew it was the Potent Potables perk that allows potions to be hexed as I bought that reward for my Spellcaster, I just got it mixed up with the Potion Purveyor reward, how embarrassing, whoops. :-[

Posted by: scoed« on: September 21, 2019, 10:52:19 AM »So cool how messed up that potion is. I am going to copypasto it like crazy and pass it out like candy! The Magic realm will never be the same! (Yes, I am evil, as I will not pass out the cure, just the curse

@scoed That's brilliant, I need to try this, I always wanted a way to curse other Sims, this will be fun! *Runs hands together in evil glee* ;D I've had that Night Wraith curse before, really cool.