Author Topic: Storage Chests  (Read 25096 times)

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Storage Chests
« on: November 17, 2019, 02:38:30 PM »
It seems these may be either a little buggy, or not work quite how perhaps most people might expect them to.

Chests retain ownership from the household they were brought in, Sims who move out with items in the trunk will not be able to remove the items from the trunk in another household. Even if those items were originally founded or crafted by that Sim.

[NEEDS INPUT] [DU] ICYA Chest Inventory Locked After Moving
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-DU-ICYA-Chest-Inventory-Locked-After-Moving/m-p/8442740
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Manderley

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Storage Chests
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 10:41:17 AM »
Can anyone give a little more detailed information about this?  I purchased an ICYA chest for my teen in Newburg.  While the chest was in his inventory I didn't seem to be able to put inventory items in it.  Anybody have any details on exactly how it works and what it's intended purpose is?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 07:49:23 PM »
It is a storage chest for your sims home. So place it down on the floor and then use it to store items in it. The chests do not share storage inventory unlike bookcases or fridges where whatever you place into one fridge will appear in another fridge on the same lot. So these new storage chest are good for people who want to keep their collected items in separate places. So one chest for crystals another for harvestables and so on.

It is not supposed to be used when carried in a sims inventory. And I would not recommend filling it with items and then placing a filled chest in a sims inventory and then moving lots. If your sim is moving lots use their personal inventory or household inventory as normal and buy a new storage chest to fill once your sim is at their new home lot.

The storage abilities seem extended on the other storage chests we already have in game with now upgrade parts being able to be stored away. There are probably other things that can now be stored in chests but tbh even though they are a great addition to the game I am not playing any long term generational games these days where storage chests would have been a saving grace! For me these chests have really arrived in the game 5 years too late.

Offline Manderley

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 01:40:46 PM »
Thanks for that very good explanation. 

So if I have an elder sim and he puts stuff in a storage chest that is on the floor in the home when he dies will the collection still be available to other sims who live in the house?

What happens if I move and forget to move the stuff in the storage chest into home inventory?

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 05:27:48 PM »
As long as any sim trying to access it belong to the same household then yes, anyone will be able to access items out of any chest.

Household definition = any sim that is in your UI when controlling a sim on a residential home lot, right...so when you go to map view and click on a residential lot, any sim that lives in that house belong to the same 'Household'.

If you forget to empty chest before moving lot then it is possible that you will not be able to ever access those items again. I don't know if this is a bug or intended design.

There may be some variables as in if you move the entire Household (so all sims living on one lot) to another lot then as the game should consider this as the same Household then chest items should be accessible. I haven't tested all possible outcomes so if you feel so inclined feel free to post your results.  :)

anything