Author Topic: 2020 Sims 4 Challenge Tournament Overview  (Read 24409 times)

Offline angelD

• Nooboo
Re: 2020 Sims 4 Challenge Tournament Overview
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2019, 02:19:11 PM »
I want to participate but kind of confused. Are you supposed to stream or record yourself doing this? Is there a sheet to keep score?

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2019, 02:32:34 PM »
I want to participate but kind of confused. Are you supposed to stream or record yourself doing this? Is there a sheet to keep score?

Welcome angelD,

No, you don't have to stream or record. Each challenge/tournament will have a spreadsheet or Metro will explain how to tally up your score. 

Goodluck and again welcome..

Shannon

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2019, 04:34:49 PM »
Hi angelD, just to follow up on what Shannon said - take a look at the first challenge starting in a week, the Making Money in 2020 event. You'll see in the scoring section that Household Funds is what the team needs to add you to the leaderboard. So, you create your file, finish the event, and then post in that thread..."I finished with 202,304 simoleans." Or whatever it is. :) Then, I'll take that info and put it in the leaderboard.

Offline toriimarie

• Nooboo
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2020, 06:58:45 AM »
Unfortunately, I followed the instructions above and do not have the option between "To" and "Subject" to message the group.  I even tried a couple different browsers.

I digress - I wish I would have known this tournament was a thing years ago!  I am always trying to search for new challenges to try so I am really looking forward to this.  I am, however, a bit confused about the initial 20 day challenge.  Maybe I'm just thinking too much into it, but are we talking about 20 Sim days or 20 IRL days?  Sim days go by so quickly, I feel like it has to be the latter.  Between taking care of all your Sim needs, how would you make any money at all?  That being said if it's 20 IRL days, I suppose those with the most free time will have the opportunity to make an obscene amount of money, where people who can't play daily won't stand a chance.  Either way, it's going to be fun to test the different money making methods.  Oh, and one more thing - do you just start with the usual household finances or do you have to start with 0 simoleans?

Thank you in advance for the clarification.  Again, I am really looking forward to participating even if I don't "win"!

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2020, 07:50:19 AM »
Unfortunately, I followed the instructions above and do not have the option between "To" and "Subject" to message the group.  I even tried a couple different browsers.

I digress - I wish I would have known this tournament was a thing years ago!  I am always trying to search for new challenges to try so I am really looking forward to this.  I am, however, a bit confused about the initial 20 day challenge.  Maybe I'm just thinking too much into it, but are we talking about 20 Sim days or 20 IRL days?  Sim days go by so quickly, I feel like it has to be the latter.  Between taking care of all your Sim needs, how would you make any money at all?  That being said if it's 20 IRL days, I suppose those with the most free time will have the opportunity to make an obscene amount of money, where people who can't play daily won't stand a chance.  Either way, it's going to be fun to test the different money making methods.  Oh, and one more thing - do you just start with the usual household finances or do you have to start with 0 simoleans?

Thank you in advance for the clarification.  Again, I am really looking forward to participating even if I don't "win"!

Not sure why you cannot message the Challenge Team group in a PM. Possibly because you have not made enough posts -- it could be a perk to someone who has at least made 5 posts or something like that.

Anyways, on to your questions -- the big purple date at the bottom of the rule set, January 26, that's the latest date you would be allowed to post your score. I come in and close the event. But, the Week 3, Day 7, 8 a.m. time in the last line of the rules -- that's the time you hovering your cursor over the day box in the game to know when you have to stop your playing for that file.

Offline toriimarie

• Nooboo
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2020, 11:32:30 AM »
Thank you for your response, so it's 20 real life days, not sim days.  The deadlines for the save file are clear, and you didn't respond regarding starting household funds, but I suppose just the default 20,000 and use it how you will since there wasn't anything in the rules about setting funds to 0.  Thanks again!

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2020, 03:51:16 PM »
Thank you for your response, so it's 20 real life days, not sim days.

Are you talking about the length of time of the purple dates? It's 3 weeks. Basically 20 days, yes.

...and you didn't respond regarding starting household funds, but I suppose just the default 20,000 and use it how you will since there wasn't anything in the rules about setting funds to 0.  Thanks again!

Oops. Yeah, I missed that. You start with the standard 20k. Are you not able to message individual team members?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline angelD

• Nooboo
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2020, 07:16:50 PM »
Thank you for your response, so it's 20 real life days, not sim days.  The deadlines for the save file are clear, and you didn't respond regarding starting household funds, but I suppose just the default 20,000 and use it how you will since there wasn't anything in the rules about setting funds to 0.  Thanks again!

Now I'm confused. For the first event (Jan 6-26), the game play is not every sim day the sim has to have a new job? So I am not bound to 20 sim days only? Just 20 real life days to complete the challenge? I can play the sim's life for more than 20 sim days for the challenge and have her/him not work a sim day and take a break? Or is it 20 different save files? Like the sims will have items and skills from previous irl day. So are we supposed to start on a new lot with starting funds every irl day?

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2020, 08:41:55 PM »

Now I'm confused. For the first event (Jan 6-26), the game play is not every sim day the sim has to have a new job? So I am not bound to 20 sim days only? Just 20 real life days to complete the challenge? I can play the sim's life for more than 20 sim days for the challenge and have her/him not work a sim day and take a break? Or is it 20 different save files? Like the sims will have items and skills from previous irl day. So are we supposed to start on a new lot with starting funds every irl day?

You seem to be making this very complicated. Your Sim has to have a different way of making money on each of 20 consecutive Sim days in one scoring file. The challenge period happens to be 21 days in real life (starting midnight on Jan 6 and ending at 11:59 pm on Jan 26), but if you look at past challenges, you'll see that's a fairly standard length for tournament challenges. Unless the challenge rules say otherwise, you'll start with 20,000 simoleons.

@toriimarie, in case you didn't see my PM, your scoring file covers 20 Sim days.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2020, 01:48:25 PM »
I need to bring to everyone's attention a new general ban beginning with the 2nd event (Townie Skill-a-Thon)...

Household Management screen. Do not click on this tab during any challenge.

The ban is not effective for the 1st event of the season, but you will need to adhere to it for the remainder of the year. 

Online Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2020, 04:17:15 AM »
I need to bring to everyone's attention a new general ban beginning with the 2nd event (Townie Skill-a-Thon)...

The ban is not effective for the 1st event of the season, but you will need to adhere to it for the remainder of the year. 

Household Management Screen? What is this? Any chance of a screenshot?

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2020, 08:26:17 AM »

Household Management Screen? What is this? Any chance of a screenshot?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Top right of screen -- 2nd icon from left.

Online Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2020, 02:41:08 AM »
Thanks

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2020, 05:06:13 PM »
Ultimately, it will be the team that will decide whether or not to change our decision to lock threads and force strategy questions to come via PM, but I fear this may have been a not-so-great idea for this year. Yes, in an ideal world, we'd all keep our strategies to ourselves. But, the more I think about it — we're all one big, happy community. If someone asks - "hey, can I do x?" And someone else sees that in the challenge thread, well...in a way, everyone benefits from the knowledge and the playing field is leveled a bit. Including the team. Heck, sometimes you pros will ask questions I had no clue about.

So, here's what I am proposing — give us some feedback in this thread. Do we keep going how we are going with locked threads? Or do we just take a totally different approach and forget all the secrecy? Ask questions in the challenge threads, no matter if they are strategy or not. Your choice. If players do not want to reveal a possible sneaky trick you can always PM the team -- that would always be an option.

Sound off.

Online Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2020, 06:35:20 PM »
I have PMed the team about my thoughts on this. I won't be asking questions if we need to PM the team, but I will if they can be posted to the boards. Based on the fact that I have gone poorly each year when the questions can be posted on the boards (and don't understand some of the answers to the questions) I doubt that any amount of so-called strategy talk will assist me.

Dek

anything