Author Topic: Making Money in 2020: 20 Days, 20 Ways  (Read 20739 times)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Making Money in 2020: 20 Days, 20 Ways
« on: December 16, 2019, 06:32:42 AM »
Making Money in 2020: 20 Days, 20 Ways

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Goal
Sims make money in so many ways. In this challenge, you ring in 2020 by earning money in 20 different ways, each for 1 day only.

General Challenge Rules
The General Challenge Rules always apply. If applicable, exceptions will be noted below.

Specific Challenge Rules
  • If you have Realm of Magic, Discover University and/or Tiny Living they must be disabled before starting.
  • In CAS, create a YA Sim. Alien or Human.
  • You choose 20 unique ways to make money, and you do them each for 1 day only.
  • However you choose to make money each day, that is the ONLY thing you can do to get money that day.
  • The day goes from 8 a.m. one day until 8:00 a.m. the next day.
  • Items you make or collect to sell must be made/collected and sold on the same 1 day, and that is the only day you can do that activity.
  • Selling plasma packs is banned.
  • Because royalties are earned for multiple days, publishing is banned - you can only count the actual value of the item when you sell it.
  • You CAN sell an item you bought to make money with at the end of the day you used it.  Example - if you bought an easel to paint on, you can sell it at the end of your painting day.
  • Regarding what constitutes different ways to make money - it's really about the activity:
    • If two items are in different collections, then generally collecting and selling them is a different activity.  The exception is when the activity to get the item is the same - as in, digging up rocks results in different items found, but you don't always know what you'll get, so collecting gems, fossils, My Sims, treasure maps - whatever you can get from the "Dig" action on a rock is all considered part of the same activity.
    • Digging up artifacts is a different activity than digging up rocks.
    • Playing a guitar is different than playing a violin (different items, different skills).
    • Selling microscope prints and selling telescope prints are different (same skill, yes, but different objects used and different collections.).
    • Each career is a different activity.
  • How you sell the item (through inventory, in a store, off a table) doesn't matter and doesn't factor into whether or not it's a different way to make money.  What matters is the activity you do to get the item that you sell, or the activity that causes people to give you money (such as playing the guitar or violin).
  • You can't sell items made by another sim.
  • Playing the lottery is banned.
  • Completing the Fortune Aspirations (Fabulously Wealthy and Mansion Baron) is banned.  You can work on them, just don't complete either of them, as they both give money-related rewards.
  • No adding to the household or moving.
  • If you choose to make money by taking jobs, think carefully before you buy Connections.  Consider that bonuses and initial career rewards are given the day your sim takes the job, but your sim doesn't go to work until the next shift.  You can't make money from another activity AND a job on the same day, and you can't make money from the SAME job on two different days.
  • The challenge ends on Week 3, Day 7, 8 a.m.

Scoring

Household Funds. Your score is your household funds at the end of the challenge.

Ch-Ch-Changes
The team does not want to edit and make changes to the ruleset once this event goes live, but we may have to. If an exploit is brought to our attention or we discover something else we reserve the right to ask affected players to redo their effort.

Have Questions?
If you have questions and need clarifications, ask away — you can either post your questions in this thread or if you feel a question might reveal a particular strategy you are considering, then feel free to PM the team. Choose the My Messages tab > Send Message > Send to Group (show membergroups) > Check the Challenge Board Moderator group.

And the Winner is...
After this event has closed everyone is encouraged to discuss how they approached the event. The winner is expected to provide detailed information on their strategy. Keep notes as you play your file.

This Event is Now Closed

Player                            Household Funds     
Rainbow Dash725447
Vesper717810
furbyqueen672223
Nikitachi654871
GlazeyLady596175
Whimsical Peanut596161
Sruixan472572
Metropolis Man465219
Marbear461083
duskcheetah426158
Elinoee346051
mismck241918
Teresa130030
ratchie118400
CynKuy110453
SIMantics10118202
Deklitch16262
thefaeriesgirl12049
SugarnibbleDNF
Narinn2045DNF
IsabelalabeDNF

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Making Money in 2020: 20 Days, 20 Ways
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 01:59:39 PM »
Updates:
  • 12/16 Added "collected" to the rule about making and selling on the same day - items collected for sale must also be collected/sold on the same day.
  • 12/17 Added clarification about what makes a way of making money "different"- Regarding what constitutes different ways to make money - it's really about the activity:
    • If two items are in different collections, then generally collecting and selling them is a different activity.  The exception is when the activity to get the item is the same - as in, digging up rocks results in different items found, but you don't always know what you'll get, so collecting gems, fossils, My Sims, treasure maps - whatever you can get from the "Dig" action on a rock is all considered part of the same activity.
    • Digging up artifacts is a different activity than digging up rocks.
    • Playing a guitar is different than playing a violin (different items, different skills).
    • Selling microscope prints and selling telescope prints are different (same skill, yes, but different objects used and different collections.).
    • Each career is a different activity.
    • How you sell the item (through inventory, in a store, off a table) doesn't matter and doesn't factor into whether or not it's a different way to make money.  What matters is the activity you do to get the item that you sell, or the activity that causes people to give you money (such as playing the guitar or violin).
  • 12/18 Added bans of the lottery and both Fortune Aspirations.
  • 12/31 Added - If you choose to make money by taking jobs, think carefully before you buy Connections.  Consider that bonuses and initial career rewards are given the day your sim takes the job, but your sim doesn't go to work until the next shift.  You can't make money from another activity AND a job on the same day, and you can't make money from the SAME job on two different days.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 02:01:57 PM »
Just a reminder that we're locking challenge threads to prevent accidental strategy advice from players. I'll unlock threads when an event goes live. Questions are totally fine. That's what the team is here for. We just need them asked via PM...

Strategy Discussion
Threads are locked until events officially go live to prevent strategy discussion. If you have questions and need clarifications, you must PM the team. Do not post questions in the thread. Choose the My Messages tab > Send Message > Send to Group (show membergroups) > Check the Challenge Board Moderator group. After an event closes you are free to discuss specific strategies.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 11:12:09 AM »
This thread will be unlocked in about 48 hours so that all players can post their scores. But, remember, please do not ask for clarifications in this thread. Always PM the team with further questions.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 05:58:26 AM »
This is now unlocked for players to post scores. Remember to PM the team with clarifications/questions. Good luck, everybody. I hope this will be an awesome 2020 season! :)

Offline Sugarnibble

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 08:51:57 AM »
I need to be listed as DNF for this one. Thanks for the great challenge, team, and I look forward to participating in the next one (and hopefully not breaking a rule next time  :P )
Sims geek, book junkie, lover of lists.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 09:24:02 AM »
I need to be listed as DNF for this one. Thanks for the great challenge, team, and I look forward to participating in the next one (and hopefully not breaking a rule next time  :P )

It happens. And your honesty is most appreciated. This rule set is a bit more involved than most.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 01:07:50 PM »
I am surprised that there aren't any scores posted yet.  Millie Mosher finished the challenge, ending with §130,030.
2024 Tournament: Join the Fun!
My Tournament Updates: Coming 2024
Love My Sims: Completing challenges and legacies since May 7, 2007

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 02:54:10 PM »
Finished up with a score of 118,400

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 03:15:46 PM »
Finished up with a score of 118,40

Rachel

Did you mean $118, 400?

Offline Vesper

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 03:55:14 PM »
Megan Monae finished with 717,810

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 05:47:46 PM »
Finished up with a score of 118,40

Rachel

Did you mean $118, 400?
yes yes I did.
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline CynKuy

• Occult
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 03:06:45 PM »
My Sim had 110453 simoleans at the end of 20 days.
Cynthia

Offline duskcheetah

• Nooboo
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2020, 11:27:14 PM »
Jack Alltrades ended day 20 with §426,158 .

I had a lot of fun with my first challenge! Thank you so much to the mods who answered my newbie questions.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2020, 06:06:48 AM »
Jack Alltrades ended day 20 with §426,158 .

I had a lot of fun with my first challenge! Thank you so much to the mods who answered my newbie questions.

Grats! Nice score, too. :) It always warms my heart to see new faces in new seasons.

anything