Author Topic: 2020 Handiness World Championships  (Read 17976 times)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
2020 Handiness World Championships
« on: May 25, 2020, 06:14:59 AM »
2020 Handiness World Championships

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Goal
This event will require a balancing act of making as much money as possible selling woodworking items and also taking time away from that in order to boost your multiplier via performing unique upgrades.

General Challenge Rules
The General Challenge Rules always apply.

Specific Challenge Rules
  • The Eco Lifestyle expansion pack is banned.
  • Create one Young Adult Human or Alien Sim (no changing life state.).
  • No Penny Pixies lot trait.
  • No adding to the household.
  • No moving allowed.
  • Clubs are banned.
  • You are allowed to use the Buydebug cheat for the sole purpose of purchasing a satellite to prevent abductions.
  • All income is restricted to selling Woodworking items only made by your Sim via inventory - no retail stores or vendor tables allowed.
  • Every day at 8 a.m. you must sell everything you made the previous day and then switch to making different types of items. For example, on Day 1 you sell the Knife Blocks and Horse Sculptures you make. On Day 2, you would not be able to sell or make those, but might choose to make and sell Barstools and Garden Planters. Each day you must continue this process and make different items you have not made/sold on previous days.
  • Selling items purchased to level up handiness is not allowed.
  • Be careful NOT to complete Fabulously Wealthy because the investment income is not allowed.
  • You must write down all the different named unique upgrades you perform (see Scoring section below).
  • "Instant Upgrade" is not allowed.
  • This challenge ends on Week 3, Day 1, 8 a.m.

Scoring

Scoring is a combination of your Household Funds multiplied by a percentage to indicate the number of unique upgrades (UU) you have made. You start the challenge with a multiplier of 1.00 and for each unique upgrade (a unique upgrade has its own name) you make on your home lot 1% (.01) is added to the multiplier. For each unique upgrade you make off your home lot (empty lots do not count) 2% (.02) is added to the multipler. NOTE: All upgrades in the game are eligible, not just handiness ones and you are only allowed one UU for any non-home lot. So, if you go to the Goth's lot and do a Self-Cleaning upgrade on their toilet, you're done on their lot.

At Week 3, Day 1 8 a.m., pause your game and note your Household Funds. Multiply that figure by the Unique Upgrades multiplier for your Total

Scoring Example = Your Sim has 100,000 simoleans at the stopping time on the last day. They have also completed 23 unique upgrades — 13 were on your home lot and 10 were on non home lots.
Multiplier = (13 X .01) + (10 X .02) = .13 + .20 + 1.00 = 1.33
Total = 100,000 X 1.33 = 133,000

Important: You are responsible for keeping a list of all unique upgrades for your UU Multiplier. The team may ask you to provide this information, but do not list them when you provide your final score. Unique Upgrades are upgrades that have different names. So, even though Fridge of Steel (Refrigerator) and Firaxium Wiring (TV) both make an item unbreakable - both can be counted towards your multiplier. You would not be able to count two different "Self Cleaning" upgrades to two different items if Self Cleaning was the exact name of the upgrade. But, if you did Self-Cleaning for the sink and Self-Cleaning Wall Coating for the Shower, then those have different names and both can be counted.

Ch-Ch-Changes
The team does not want to edit and make changes to the ruleset once this event goes live, but we may have to. If an exploit is brought to our attention or we discover something else we reserve the right to ask affected players to redo their effort.

Have Questions?
If you have questions and need clarifications, ask away — you can either post your questions in this thread or if you feel a question might reveal a particular strategy you are considering, then feel free to PM the team. Choose the My Messages tab > Send Message > Send to Group (show membergroups) > Check the Challenge Board Moderator group.

And the Winner is...
After this event has closed everyone is encouraged to discuss how they approached the event, but the winner especially is expected to do so in detail.

This Event is Now Closed

Player                            Household Funds     UU     Total     
Elinoee2035472.40488512
Rainbow Dash1966232.42475827
Nikitachi1741332.52438815
mismck1865512.12395488
Sruixan1791302.20394086
Vesper2029531.87379522
Whimsical Peanut1789891.90340079
Poffin1464351.87273833
Metropolis Man1685931.54259633
ratchie1219502.09254875
SoulGal71214752.09253882
Eighty8Keys1672141.36227411
rhi721063971.48157467
Noyo993741.46145086
Teresa554372.23123625
techiechick715721.70121672
furbyqueen468831.4266573
junegem349781.5052467
Deklitch343291.5051493
Erin374891.2145361

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: 2020 Handiness World Championships
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 06:15:13 AM »
5/25 — Eco Lifestyle expansion pack banned.
5/25 — No vendor tables and clubs allowed.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 07:03:20 AM »
Finally! I was hoping this one would come back. :) Thor will be throwing down his gauntlet ... er ... I mean hammer for this one too. 8)

Every day at 8 a.m. you must sell everything you made the previous day and then switch to making different types of items. For example, on Day 1 you sell the Knife Blocks and Horse Sculptures you make. On Day 2, you would not be able to sell or make those, but might choose to

Oh, that's a bit sneaky and a little mean not letting us craft that particular item over and over, you know the one I'm talking about @Metropolis Man, I think everyone does, lol.

I'm guessing that the new Eco Lifestyle pack that comes out on June 5th will be banned for this event?

What about Tiny Homes, can we build them?

All income is restricted to selling Woodworking items only made by your Sim via inventory - no retail stores allowed.

What about the Vendor Tables, can we use those?

Can we we choose not to do any woodworking at all for some days, for example can I choose to craft Horse Sculptures on day 1 but choose to skip woodworking altogether day 2 to focus on upgrades instead or do we have to make something every day?

I'm guessing that we are not allowed to sell items made by Club Members?

For each unique upgrade you make off your home lot (empty lots do not count) 2% (.02) is added to the multipler. NOTE: All upgrades in the game are eligible, not just handiness ones and you are only allowed one UU for any non-home lot.

This confuses me a little, what do mean by "Not just handiness ones" what other types of upgrades are you referring to? As for empty lots not counting, does this mean no buying and placing items on an empty lot to upgrade them or no upgrading on community lots?

Create one Young Adult Human or Alien Sim (no changing life state.).

"Instant Upgrade" is not allowed.

So no becoming a Spellcaster and learning Repairo to upgrade items then?

A couple of my questions may seem a little strategic perhaps but it's nothing anybody else wouldn't have thought of.

I made a couple of silly mistakes in the last Handiness Challenge that I've been wanting to redeem myself for ever since, I was a newbie to the challenges back in those days and didn't have the experience I do now so I've hoping to take another shot at this and see if I've learnt from my mistakes, lol. It's Hammer Time ... again!

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 07:55:34 AM »
Finally! I was hoping this one would come back. :) Thor will be throwing down his gauntlet ... er ... I mean hammer for this one too. 8)

Lol - I am imagining Chris Hemsworth answering the phone..."Mjolnir upgrade services, can I help you?" I'll get to your questions in a bit, Rainbow.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 09:14:56 AM »
I'm guessing that the new Eco Lifestyle pack that comes out on June 5th will be banned for this event?

Yeah, we forgot about that. Thanks.

What about Tiny Homes, can we build them?

Those are fine.

What about the Vendor Tables, can we use those?

No.

Can we we choose not to do any woodworking at all for some days, for example can I choose to craft Horse Sculptures on day 1 but choose to skip woodworking altogether day 2 to focus on upgrades instead or do we have to make something every day?

Totally up to you how you arrange your days.

I'm guessing that we are not allowed to sell items made by Club Members?

Yeah, it's really a solo Sim challenge, so I'll ban Clubs.

For each unique upgrade you make off your home lot (empty lots do not count) 2% (.02) is added to the multipler. NOTE: All upgrades in the game are eligible, not just handiness ones and you are only allowed one UU for any non-home lot.

This confuses me a little, what do mean by "Not just handiness ones" what other types of upgrades are you referring to? As for empty lots not counting, does this mean no buying and placing items on an empty lot to upgrade them or no upgrading on community lots?

I think that carried over from the last event two years ago and we were referring to the Rocket ship upgrades -- not 100% sure on that. Any other team member want to chime in on this?

On the empty lots -- you cannot place items on empty lots to upgrade. You can upgrade items on residential lots (i.e. the Goths) and commericial lots (i.e. a dive bar), but any non home lot upgrade must be unique for it to count for your multiplier.

Correct. Spellcasters are a different life state. Only Humans/Aliens allowed.

Good luck, Rainbow.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 09:47:18 AM »
The one UU on non home lots thats per townie household not just one per day right?
I could go upgrade the Goths toilet and then go upgrade the pancakes shower on the same day  just so long as the UU names are different.
edit to add question
Can we buy upgrade parts via the computer or do they have to be found via fishing or scavenging through trash piles. That's usually how I do it because I play a lot of rags to riches but it's nice to have the quicker option.
Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 09:52:38 AM »
The one UU on non home lots thats per townie household not just one per day right?
I could go upgrade the Goths toilet and then go upgrade the pancakes shower on the same day  just so long as the UU names are different.

Rachel

Definitely, Rachel. As long as they are unique upgrades (one per non-home lot) you can do multiple upgrades in any given day.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 05:18:19 PM »
@Rainbow Dash

Oh, that's a bit sneaky and a little mean not letting us craft that particular item over and over, you know the one I'm talking about @Metropolis Man, I think everyone does, lol.

would be an incorrect assumption, I don't. :)

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 08:14:17 PM »
@Deklitch I think it's a statue from granite falls I've never taken any of my sims there despite having outdoor retreat for years.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline SoulGal7

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 06:12:41 PM »
Hi All! A quick question. When you create your world, in Game Play Options, do we tick off the "Fill Empty Houses" box?  Also, I just wanted to clarify for the UU that we can only go to another residence or community lot once to do one upgrade and that is it. So, only one time to say the Goth residence, to do a sink upgrade. You can't go back to that house to do a shower upgrade. Is that correct? Thanks for the help :)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 06:44:10 PM »
Hi All! A quick question. When you create your world, in Game Play Options, do we tick off the "Fill Empty Houses" box?

No. The default setting is checked.

Also, I just wanted to clarify for the UU that we can only go to another residence or community lot once to do one upgrade and that is it. So, only one time to say the Goth residence, to do a sink upgrade. You can't go back to that house to do a shower upgrade. Is that correct? Thanks for the help :)

Well, technically, you could do more than one upgrade on a non-home lot. BUT -- you could only score yourself for one unique upgrade if that makes sense.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 07:14:53 AM »
Quote from: Rainbow Dash on May 25, 2020, 07:03:20 AM

Lol - I am imagining Chris Hemsworth answering the phone..."Mjolnir upgrade services, can I help you?" I'll get to your questions in a bit, Rainbow.

I can just imagine Loki breaking in peoples homes (Magically of course) and sabotaging their appliances to drum up business ... Thor of course would be clueless. ;) Yeah, that was a lot of questions I know, my flatmate just spent the better part of a week in hospital and I was needing something to distract myself with.

I think that carried over from the last event two years ago and we were referring to the Rocket ship upgrades -- not 100% sure on that. Any other team member want to chime in on this?

That's what I thought you meant but I wanted to be sure, I mean, yes it's the Rocket Science skill technically but I remember someone doing all the Rocket Ship upgrades in the last Handiness challenge so I was wondering if it would be allowed in this one.

Correct. Spellcasters are a different life state. Only Humans/Aliens allowed.

Good luck, Rainbow.

Poor Spellcasters, always left out  :'( hopefully one day that will change, Realm Of Magic is one of my favourite packs after all. *Is totally not dropping hints* Good luck to you @Metropolis Man, I know how much you love this challenge.

@Deklitch It's called the Camping Mascot and everyone made them for the money making part in the last Handiness Challenge, you should totally join in this challenge, it's quite fun and it's a forum favourite, one of the classics, it's one of Metro's personal favourites as I recall.

I had a couple more questions to ask which I've now forgotten what they were but I do have this one. Is there a limit to how many different types of items we can make per day, like can I craft 4 different items in one day if I choose to do so? Oh and one more question, we don't need to test our upgrades do we? I don't remember that being a requirement of the last Handiness challenge and I'd rather not have my Sim die to the murder bed. (Not in this save file anyway).

Naturally I'll be entering this one as I do love my skill challenges and seeing as I'm skipping Baby Boomer I'll need to claw some points back somehow, it's a good thing I have plenty of time to practice, I could really use the distraction right now. (It's been a rough week).

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 07:57:12 AM »
I had a couple more questions to ask which I've now forgotten what they were but I do have this one. Is there a limit to how many different types of items we can make per day, like can I craft 4 different items in one day if I choose to do so? Oh and one more question, we don't need to test our upgrades do we? I don't remember that being a requirement of the last Handiness challenge and I'd rather not have my Sim die to the murder bed. (Not in this save file anyway).

No limit on numbers of items made in one day...just remember you need to sell everything you made on a given day, and then following day you would have to make different items.

Naturally I'll be entering this one as I do love my skill challenges and seeing as I'm skipping Baby Boomer I'll need to claw some points back somehow, it's a good thing I have plenty of time to practice, I could really use the distraction right now. (It's been a rough week).

I hope you'll reconsider doing Baby Boomer, Rainbow. ;)

Offline SoulGal7

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 08:29:00 AM »
Hi, I have another question. Maybe I am over-thinking this, but want to make sure I understand everything before I begin my test file.

Every day at 8 a.m. you must sell everything you made the previous day and then switch to making different types of items. For example, on Day 1 you sell the Knife Blocks and Horse Sculptures you make. On Day 2, you would not be able to sell or make those, but might choose to make and sell Barstools and Garden Planters.

Ok, so for this one, I understand for Day 1 and Day 2 examples, but, here is my question, on Day 3 are we able to make the items we did on Day 1, OR are we not able to make those Day 1 and Day 2 items any longer? So, Day 1 my sim makes knife blocks. Is this the only time that they can craft knife blocks? So, basically, they can't repeat any crafted items that were made on any previous days. Is that correct?

Also, since all income comes from woodworking, I am thinking that my sim will not be able to get a job either, as they would get income from that (thinking of the scientist career here). Also, not ask for loans or use the wishing well? Correct? Thanks :)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 07:36:52 PM »
Hi, I have another question. Maybe I am over-thinking this, but want to make sure I understand everything before I begin my test file.

Every day at 8 a.m. you must sell everything you made the previous day and then switch to making different types of items. For example, on Day 1 you sell the Knife Blocks and Horse Sculptures you make. On Day 2, you would not be able to sell or make those, but might choose to make and sell Barstools and Garden Planters.

Ok, so for this one, I understand for Day 1 and Day 2 examples, but, here is my question, on Day 3 are we able to make the items we did on Day 1, OR are we not able to make those Day 1 and Day 2 items any longer? So, Day 1 my sim makes knife blocks. Is this the only time that they can craft knife blocks? So, basically, they can't repeat any crafted items that were made on any previous days. Is that correct?

Exactly. You worded it better than I did. ;) Carrying over day to day after you sell the previous days' items you cannot repeat any crafted items from previous days.

Also, since all income comes from woodworking, I am thinking that my sim will not be able to get a job either, as they would get income from that (thinking of the scientist career here). Also, not ask for loans or use the wishing well? Correct? Thanks :)

Correct. No careers, Ask for Loans, or wishing well.

anything