Author Topic: Skilling up the Kids - Hybrid Education  (Read 13624 times)

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Skilling up the Kids - Hybrid Education
« on: August 17, 2020, 08:05:28 AM »
Skilling up the Kids - Hybrid Education

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Goal

Many schools are currently using a hybrid approach to education - part-time at school, part-time homeschooling. Your Sims will be doing the same. In addition to teaching toddler skills, your Sim parents will have their child and teen Sims home three days per week learning skills.

General Challenge Rules
The General Challenge Rules always apply.

Specific Challenge Rules
  • Nifty Knitting is not allowed for this challenge.
  • Create 2 YA Human or Alien Sims, any relationship.
  • Each young adult can adopt 1 toddler and 2 children.  The second child adopted must be aged immediately to teen (no child skills allowed for this Sim).
  • No changing life state of any sim.
  • Adoptions can occur at any time, but these are the only household additions.
  • Toddlers can age up when one 5-level toddler skill is maxed.
  • Children can age up when one Childhood skill is maxed.
  • No early age-up for Teens, and no prolonging any life stage.
  • Child and teen Sims must attend school at least two days per week, must complete homework when it is available, and must complete at least one school project as a child and one as a teen.
  • You are allowed to use the Buydebug cheat for the sole purpose of purchasing a satellite to prevent abductions.
  • This challenge ends on Week 4, Day 1, 8 a.m.

Scoring

Toddler -   Maxed toddler skills = 30 points each.

Child -   Maxed childhood skills = 20 points each.  An "A" in school as a child = 20 pts.

Teen -   Maxed teen skills* = 15 points each.  An "A" in school as a teen = 15 pts.

SM -   Skill Multiplier. Everyone starts with a multiplier of 1. Each skill level for non-maxed skills (toddler, child, and teen) add .002 to the multiplier. (Note this before they age up.)

Total — Add the Toddler, Child, and Teen amounts and then figure in the multiplier for your Total.

*Skills that can be worked on as a teen or older count as teen skills, even if a child could also pursue them. Example - Logic is a teen skill, even though a child can gain points in logic. NO POINTS for skill levels or skills maxed after aging to Young Adult.

Here's an example:

It's week 4, Day 1, 8 a.m., so it's time to stop playing. Your adopted Sims have completed 3 toddler skills, 5 child skills and 7 teen skills, along with 3 A's as children and 4 A's as teens. In skills not maxed, they have a total of 24 levels.

Toddler points =  90
Child points    = 160
Teen points     = 165
Total skill/grade points = 415
Multiplier = 1.00 + (24 levels X .002) = 1.00 + .048 = 1.048
Score = 415 * 1.048 = 434.92 = 434 (round down to whole number)

Glazey's Spreadsheet

Ch-Ch-Changes
The team does not want to edit and make changes to the ruleset once this event goes live, but we may have to. If an exploit is brought to our attention or we discover something else we reserve the right to ask affected players to redo their effort.

Have Questions?
If you have questions and need clarifications, ask away — you can either post your questions in this thread or if you feel a question might reveal a particular strategy you are considering, then feel free to PM the team. Choose the My Messages tab > Send Message > Send to Group (show membergroups) > Check the Challenge Board Moderator group.

And the Winner is...
After this event has closed everyone is encouraged to discuss how they approached the event, but the winner especially is expected to do so in detail.

This Event is Now Closed

Player                       Toddler     Child     Teen     SM         Total     
mismck300400     16202.9386816
LenaLJ300400     32251.1324443
ratchie300400     30001.144218
Nikitachi300400     31951.0744183
Sruixan300400     17551.6364016
GlazeyLady300400     20701.21633368
Lindshara300400     23251.0183079
Elinoee300400     21001.0923057
Eighty8Keys300400     16501.2462928
Teresa300400     9301.5922594
Metropolis Man270360     8701.2961944
CynKuy300380     5251.3961682
Nandarelle300400     601.242943
coolsim9999999210300     3001.156936
TimSim101180160     1601.118581
SIMantics101180140     151.40381

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Well-Skilled Kids
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 08:06:00 AM »
Rule Update:
- Each young adult can adopt 1 toddler and 2 children.  The second child adopted must be aged immediately to teen (no child skills allowed for this sim).
- Child and teen Sims must attend school at least two days per week, must complete homework when it is available, and must complete at least one school project as a child and one as a teen. ("at least" added for clarity.)
- Updated scoring to give more points to skills earned by younger sims, and changed the multiplier to .002 (to result in higher scores for maxed skills).

9/7 - added a Spreadsheet to assist with everyone's scoring. Thanks, Glazey. :)
9/8 - added rule for clarity - No changing life state for any sim.
9/15 - updated the spreadsheet - fixed error in calculation of the total.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 08:31:32 AM »
1) 'Child and teen Sims must attend school two days per week' - what exactly is a week here? Do you mean Monday-Friday of one week, or every other 7 days?

Example: a toddler aged up to a child on Wednesday. Their first school day will be Thursday. So, if they attend school on Thursday and Friday, can they go again on Monday since it's technically a new week, or are they done with school until the next Thursday?

Also, after a child becomes a teen, do their school days count reset or not? Example: a child attended school on Monday and Tuesday, then aged up on Tuesday evening, can they go to high school on Wednesday then and count it as their first day, or not?

2) Are Tiny Residential lots allowed? They're really game-changing when it comes to skilling, so I thought maybe it's fair to disallow these as not everyone has this addon.

3) 'Each young adult can adopt 1 toddler, 1 child, and 1 teen.' - you can't adopt teens, can you?.. Maybe it can be something like 'Each young adult can adopt 1 toddler and 2 children, one of which must immediately be aged up to teen'?

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 09:50:54 AM »
Only babies, toddlers and children can be adopted.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 09:57:32 AM »
Only babies, toddlers and children can be adopted.

So how many of each are we allowed to adopt?

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 10:03:32 AM »
2) Are Tiny Residential lots allowed? They're really game-changing when it comes to skilling, so I thought maybe it's fair to disallow these as not everyone has this addon.

From my view that content has been out long enough that it should allowed, but I'll defer to Glazey - this is her event. I'd be surprised if the vast majority of Tourney players do not have Tiny Living by now.

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 10:05:56 AM »
1) 'Child and teen Sims must attend school two days per week' - what exactly is a week here? Do you mean Monday-Friday of one week, or every other 7 days?

Example: a toddler aged up to a child on Wednesday. Their first school day will be Thursday. So, if they attend school on Thursday and Friday, can they go again on Monday since it's technically a new week, or are they done with school until the next Thursday?

Also, after a child becomes a teen, do their school days count reset or not? Example: a child attended school on Monday and Tuesday, then aged up on Tuesday evening, can they go to high school on Wednesday then and count it as their first day, or not?
Each 5 weekdays count as a week.  So - Monday-Friday; Wednesday-Tuesday; etc.

Tiny residential is allowed.

3) 'Each young adult can adopt 1 toddler, 1 child, and 1 teen.' - you can't adopt teens, can you?.. Maybe it can be something like 'Each young adult can adopt 1 toddler and 2 children, one of which must immediately be aged up to teen'?
Rule updated-thank you!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
Re: Skilling up the Kids - Hybrid Education
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 12:57:24 PM »
Two questions...

Toddlers can age up when one 5-level toddler skill is maxed.
Children can age up when one Childhood skill is maxed.
...can be aged up, or must be aged up

Child and teen Sims must attend school two days per week, must complete homework when it is available, and must complete at least one school project as a child and one as a teen.
...must attend only two days a week or at least two days a week

2024 Tournament: Join the Fun!
My Tournament Updates: Coming 2024
Love My Sims: Completing challenges and legacies since May 7, 2007

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 02:26:44 PM »
Two questions...

Child and teen Sims must attend school two days per week, must complete homework when it is available, and must complete at least one school project as a child and one as a teen.

I'll dig into Glazey's head and she can correct me if I am seeing things wrong. ;)

You are not forced to age the kids up, thus the "can" wording -- your choice.

The second question -- the "must" reference...I look at that as kids have to do all the listed stuff at a minimum. Anything on top of that is player choice.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 03:43:37 PM »
Sounds good.  I haven't even started strategy because Nuts is still standing in my path, but I did build a spreadsheet today for this so my thoughts were thinking. :)

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 04:07:43 PM »
Two questions...

I'll dig into Glazey's head and she can correct me if I am seeing things wrong. ;)

You are not forced to age the kids up, thus the "can" wording -- your choice.

The second question -- the "must" reference...I look at that as kids have to do all the listed stuff at a minimum. Anything on top of that is player choice.

You can age them up early, but don't have to.  They must attend at least 2 days per week, but can attend more if you want.

Offline Nandarelle

• Townie
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2020, 04:54:27 PM »
This sounds like another interesting challenge.

A question about the scoring:
In the way that is set up, it can be more beneficial for your score not to max a score, but leave at the next highest level.
Is this intentional?

For example: I max 1 toddler skill, 2 child skills and 1 teen skill (and no A's).
This gives me a score of 60. If I max another teen skill, it becomes 60 + 20 = 80.
If I get that skill to level 9 instead, it would be 60 * 1.45 = 87.

If, that is, I understand the scoring correctly.

It all becomes a bit of a math challenge then.
I think I would actually quite enjoy that, but I'm not sure that's what these challenges are about.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2020, 05:41:17 PM »
Those are interesting points, Nandarelle. Yeah, ideally we do not want an obvious path for every player to take. I messaged Glazey about this, so the team can kick around a possible alternative. Would one idea be just to drop the multiplier altogether and awards point = to skill level? That way the higher you push skills, the higher your score.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2020, 05:44:26 PM »
I just figured that was part of the strategy - to max or not to max. :)

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2020, 06:42:21 PM »
I'll spend some time on the math - either to lower the multiplier or change how skill levels factor in - there should be a value to maxing the skills, but also points for skills not maxed.  Give me a day or so, but feel free to make suggestions.  Thanks!