Author Topic: Any tricks for roof height?  (Read 1811 times)

Online Brian_Z

• Talks too much
  • Immortal
Any tricks for roof height?
« on: October 27, 2020, 05:32:18 PM »
I'm working on this converted barn home, on the Summer Home lot in Windenburg.  I figured that neighborhood was pretty much the only one that's really believable as former farm country where an old barn might still be standing.  Yes, it's huge- the footprint is 12x28, the second floor is 10x28 plus six 1x4 dormers, and there's even a 4x28 attic.  And I could easily put a basement under it, there's certainly plenty of room on the first floor for the stairs.

Anyway, my question is about the roof over the main entrance.  It annoys me that it's so high.  I had a much more reasonable roof, but it vanished at some point and it wouldn't let me recreate it again.  Anyone got any tips to get a small roof down lower, to just above the top of the doorway?  I originally built a 1x4 room in front of the doorway, detached by 1 space, sank it into the ground, gave it a roof, managed to slide it over to fit against the house, then deleted the room out from under it.  But later it disappeared, and now I can't seem to do the same thing again.

Offline DruidOfDreams

• Nooboo
Re: Any tricks for roof height?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 02:56:37 AM »
I'm assuming the reason the first roof disappeared is because you were using MOO, if not please correct me. If you're using MOO on a lot to build it, you need to make sure it's enabled when placing that lot or before you start building on it again.

Would you be able to use any of the awnings and match the regular roofs to it? I'm also not sure, but the hipped roof may be shorter when it's completely compressed.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online Brian_Z

• Talks too much
  • Immortal
Re: Any tricks for roof height?
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 01:32:06 PM »
That little roof actually disappeared while I was still in BB mode, and then wouldn't do the same thing I already did. 
What I ended up doing was to put a 1x4 room in front of the entrance, sank it into the ground, put a half hip on it, and extended the overhang until it touched.  Then I demolished the room out from under it.  It persisted that time, even after going into live mode and saves and reloads.