Author Topic: Upgrade Bingo  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Rebelangel

• Nooboo
Re: Upgrade Bingo
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2024, 09:34:12 AM »
Thanks for sharing your strategy - there were a couple items I couldn't find in other pre-created lots (e.g., namely, the dishwasher and gaming mat - so glad somebody found them!). Also, it's good that we could move lots because that was a part of Macguver's strategy  :).

Overall, Macguver aimed to be as efficient as possible in making the 25 upgrades, which was done in a couple of ways:

1. Raise handiness as quickly as possible because at L7 and L10, since it is 2x as fast to upgrade plumbing and kitchen objects respectively at those levels:
      a. Macguver started with the cheeful, genius, and loves outdoors traits
      b. For the first several upgrades, Macguver moved into 3 separate lots in Newcrest (it was cheaper), where the lot was set to Tiny Home, and the traits were Homey & Study Spot. Several focused objects were also purchased so that Macguver was always very focused.
      c. Macguver hired a repairwoman, Reagan Sutherland, who was repeatedly asked to follow her and mentor her throughout (For some reason, Reagan decided that she had other things to do at some point, so this only worked about 75% of the time). Macguver started by crafting an item at the woodworking table, which got her to at least L2 under Reagan's mentorship.
      d. After the first three Newcrest lots, Macguver (with Reagan in tow) also made upgrades in the three lots with Homey traits (Cecelia's, the Watson's, and McMillan/Moody household) in Henley-on-Bagford

2. Sequence the upgrades to only upgrade repair objects after L7 and kitchen objects after L10. This was not done perfectly, as Macguver completed both shower upgrades (and potentially some of the other bathroom upgrades) before reaching L7 since there was nothing else to upgrade.

3. Where possible, upgrade the smaller appliance versus the larger one (e.g., microwave instead of oven). I didn't rigorously test this, but it seemed faster

4. Generally, avoid going to large lots to limit time wasted walking. I picked a bunch of bars because they had a variety of upgradable objects that required relatively little walking.

6. For the other hard to find objects (the dishwasher, gaming mat, and microscope), Macguver got a job as a scientist (the microscope) and moved to three different Newcrest lots (the two dishwasher upgrades and gaming mat)

7. Macguver purchased all the necessary upgrade parts at the beginning. Macguver only earned enough aspiration points for 2 sleep replacement potions and was down to the last of her money by the sixth move in Newcrest.

I wasn't as diligent as recording the lots, upgrades, and timestamps - I basically crossed off the upgrades as I went along on my spreadsheet, but the lots visited and the order traveled was as follows: (Newcrest 1, Newcrest 2, Glimmbrook Bar, Newcrest 3, Municipal Museum in Willow Creek, Willow Creek Archive, Blue Velvet, McMillan/Moody Household, Cecelia's Household, Watson Household, Quad Manor Library, Old Quarter Bar, Newcrest 4, Shrieking Llama, 8 Balls, Laboratory (scientist job), The Gnome Arms, The Square Cafe, the Behr Household, the Landgrab Household, Specer-Kim Household, Partihouse, Pancakes, Newcrest 5, and Newcrest 6).

The rough order of upgrades was the two shower upgrades, the two fireplace upgrades; the rest of the bathroom upgrades (Macguver hit L7 sometime during this period), the electronics & microscope upgrades, and the kitchen upgrades.

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2024, 10:07:38 AM »
Excellent write-ups, @Rebelangel and @Deklitch. Thanks for sharing the great info.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline SueDenim

• Townie
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2024, 12:00:12 PM »
Thanks for sharing your strategy - there were a couple items I couldn't find in other pre-created lots (e.g., namely, the dishwasher and gaming mat - so glad somebody found them!). Also, it's good that we could move lots because that was a part of Macguver's strategy  :).

There is a dishwasher at Penny's, and at the Hare & Hedgehog in Windenburg (which I didn't find until she was upgrading something else there and had already upgraded Penny's without saying a single word to her.  Which was weird.)  Instead went for the hot tubs at Celebrazioni d'Amore in Tartosa which also have "Make Unbreakable."  Diego Lobo has a gaming mat, but luckily GeekCon happened during my run, so she  upgraded one of those.

The only microscope I could "find" was the one at the scientist job - so she went to work, upgraded the microscope, and left.  She did not get a good work rating that day.

All of my prep for this one was looking for things to upgrade (preferably on public lots in case I needed Always Welcome to do things in people's homes and couldn't get it.)

Offline Elinoee

• Townie
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2024, 12:05:00 PM »
Congratulations @Rebelangel , nice strategy!

For my part, I went on with a spellcaster and made him learn the potion of plentiful needs. I thought this would be faster than trying to get enough points to buy reward potions but I guess I was wrong: even if the potion of plentiful needs is the first one the sages learn to you, you first have to socialize with them, and then make the potion in the cauldron. Well, I guess it would have finally been faster to go on with the reward potions.

As soon as my sim had some potions of plentiful needs in his inventory, I began to learn handiness with him. He called a repairman to teach him while using the woodworking table to level 2. Then he began to do all the upgrades, and as often as possible, took with him the repairman to teach him while upgrading (it didn't work very well, most of time the repairer didn't come with my sim on the lots).

For the 2 dishwashers (I didn't know Penny Pizzaz had one @Deklitch !) , I put 2 restaurants in Newcrest at the beginning of the game, and for the microscope my sim bought one on his own lot.

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2024, 12:10:06 PM »
Then he began to do all the upgrades, and as often as possible, took with him the repairman to teach him while upgrading (it didn't work very well, most of time the repairer didn't come with my sim on the lots).

That's brilliant. I would never have thought to do that.

Offline Elinoee

• Townie
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2024, 12:13:28 PM »
Thank you @Metropolis Man ! Maybe brilliant but not very efficient  ;)

Offline Rebelangel

• Nooboo
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2024, 05:58:40 PM »
@SueDenim , thank you for the tip about the dishwasher in the Hare & Hedgehog. I could have sworn I had seen one somewhere in Windenburg (another reason my sim traveled to so many Windenburg lots), but I think my sim traveled to every cafe/bar but that one!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2024, 07:39:24 PM »
For anyone still interested in locations of gaming rig mats, there's also one in the Behr house in Windenburg in one of the sims bedrooms.