Author Topic: How do I create a museum on community lot with my inventory?  (Read 20457 times)

Kraspec

How do I create a museum on community lot with my inventory?
« on: March 21, 2011, 03:19:51 AM »
Hi all, new to the forums.  I only started playing sims 3 a couple months ago, and love this site, it has been great place to answer any questions I've had.  

So, to my question.  I recently installed world adventures and have had a blast playing it.  I finally managed to get all of the relic collections completed and found some other cool stuff from the three locations.  It takes up a lot of room on my home lot though,  What I want to do is build a museum on a community lot and put all that stuff in it.  I have not messed around with world edit yet and am paranoid that i will mess something up and lose all those items that took so long to collect.  Is there a way to get this done?  Once I build the museum how do I get all the collections into it?  Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: how do i create a museum on community lot with my inventory
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 03:27:13 AM »
Welcome to the forum Kraspec!

Presuming that you want this in your home world, just do this:

1. Go to Edit Town.
2. Pick an empty lot. Rezone it to a community lot if need be. (It's the button that looks like a house with a bench next to it, with a slash in the middle.
3. Enter the lot.
4. Build your museum, without relics and things in your inventory. Remember to place display stands.
5. Return to your household.
6. Drag the relics/items from your inventory to the display stands.
Voila, you have a museum. If you have any questions, let me know.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 03:39:04 AM »
I'm not sure if dragging from the inventory actually works on public lots, but what I do is build up the Community Lot, rezone it as residential, move the Sim in and dump all the items you want to be on the lot (usually paintings in my case), moving them back out and zoning it back to community. The rezoning process tends to delete a couple of items (public bathroom doors, bouncer gates etc) but it's all very easily fixed and you should be able to stock up your museum with this method. Of course, it's not very fast, so you might want to build up a decent collection before you do it. And welcome to the forum!

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 03:43:15 AM »
Then would buying the lot out, dragging from inventory, and selling, do it?

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 04:21:21 AM »
Then would buying the lot out, dragging from inventory, and selling, do it?

No, you can't use anything in your family inventory on a lot you own.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
Re: How do I create a museum on community lot with my inventory?
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 07:27:11 PM »
While family inventory can't be used, personal inventory can be.  You can drag relics, gems, paintings and photographs out of your inventory and place them on public lots (I'm not entirely sure if you have to own that lot or not, but any time I do this, my sims do own it).  This, of course, leaves statues out...but this can be rectified by placing a sculpting station on the lot and sculpting the statues on site.  You can then use the real estate build/buy option to place the statue where you want.  However, an on-site sculpting station has acted a little weird for me at times, and it doesn't want to let me start sculpting sometimes.

It's worth mentioning that artworks placed on public lots do not appreciate in value.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Kraspec

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 10:18:12 PM »
Thanks for the feedback on my question, I think I've got a handle on this now.  :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 11:40:47 PM »
No, you can't use anything in your family inventory on a lot you own.

I think that I might've phrased my statement wrong.
I meant would buying the lot, dragging from your personal inventory then selling work?

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 12:06:04 PM »
Anything you can carry in your personal inventory can be placed on a public lot, yes.  But, I'm not totally sure you actually have to own it in order to do this (obviously you would, if you needed to place surfaces to hold these items).  While I've never done it, I'm relatively certain that if you sell the lot, the items will remain there.

gol2012

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 12:46:33 AM »
 I can't put sarcophagus, chests, time machines and pushable statues in my personal inventory. As a consequence, I don't have them on my museum, and that's where they belong.
 Does anybody know of a mod to make the family inventory available on owned community lots? Aside from the "buydebug" cheat, because I don't see a purpose in collecting the 5 pieces and mounting those relics, if I'm just cheating and buying them unfairly. I takes a lot of the fun away...

Redlaw

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 01:46:58 AM »
I have once placed instruments from my inventory onto the consignment shop. It was not on purpose but I did do it.

I have not tried to place things in other places. So for the most part it dpeneds on what you are doing and what you want.

Want to add a time machine, move the sim in as it was a house then place it (or use testingcheatsenabled and buydebug). But there is doing something in game for your sims to play with in a bar ect... Then there is doing it in game. The last one is way harder and I can say I am learning that still myself.

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 01:48:56 AM »
Input testingcheatsenabled true in your cheatbox, followed by buydebug.  You'll find a new category in buy mode which lets you purchase these things for community lots.

Place them down from buydebug and then just delete them from your inventory.

Oh, sweet irony, deliver me from coincidence.

Please feel free to utilize any of my builds in any of your stories and so forth.

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 02:23:13 AM »
I can't put sarcophagus, chests, time machines and pushable statues in my personal inventory. As a consequence, I don't have them on my museum, and that's where they belong.
 Does anybody know of a mod to make the family inventory available on owned community lots? Aside from the "buydebug" cheat, because I don't see a purpose in collecting the 5 pieces and mounting those relics, if I'm just cheating and buying them unfairly. I takes a lot of the fun away...

Aussette already mentioned the easiest way to do that without any mods or even cheats. Move your Sim with stuff in inventories to empty residential lot, place things you want - statues, wells, sarcophagus etc. Then move your Sim out, go to edit town, change lot to community and build what you want with items your Sim left there. Or you can build and decorate and then change lot to museum. Adding new things in museum may be tricky cause you'll again have to change lot type in residential, move your Sim in and place what you want, but it is still doable.
I like keeping those on home lot, wells and statues are excellent addition to a garden (sarcophagus are pretty useless except the King sarcophagus which deserve a special tomb like room in basement). 

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 03:55:10 AM »
...Does anybody know of a mod to make the family inventory available on owned community lots?...

Welcome to the forum Gol2012!
We're actually not allowed to discuss mods, as per the forum rules.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 09:04:43 PM »
Sculpted statues can also be placed on a lot you own by buying a sculpting station on that lot and sculpting them there.  Once finished, you select "Build on this lot" and move the statue where you want it to go.

The time machine, however, goes straight into your family inventory when completed.  The real question is:  if you use an on-site inventor's work bench, does it go into family inventory for your home, or for that lot?  Because there is one for the lot...at least there appears to be.

anything