Author Topic: Building Shells - To be Furnished  (Read 310114 times)

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Building Shells - To be Furnished
« Reply #225 on: January 03, 2014, 12:02:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum, AoifeLushon, and thank you for sharing that amazing build with us!

By the way, your post has two links at the bottom.  Are they different in some way, or is there another reason for the two links?

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline AoifeLushon

• Nooboo
« Reply #226 on: January 03, 2014, 06:48:57 PM »
Noob error I'm afraid! :) I think I've fixed it now so there should only be one link.

I've had a bit of a day of building, I finished and tested the above one, made a nice little fully furnished Irish holiday home (based on a holiday home I used to visit) and I'm now building a starter home as a bit of a budget challenge. I may share another once I'm happy with it. And maybe at some point I'll get round to playing with the Sims!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline AoifeLushon

• Nooboo
« Reply #227 on: January 04, 2014, 02:18:30 AM »
So I was starting a new game today and none of the starter houses really fit what I wanted for a long term family investment. I'm happy building big family houses when money isn't an issue but what about when you have a new couple just starting out? Do they really have to move into a little nook in the hopes of being able to afford to move at a later date?

I wanted to start the game with a 2 bedroom house and plenty of room to add furniture and whatever else my family desires when they have a bit of money behind them. I wanted a house that will grow with my Sims, one that they will never grow out of.

So I set myself a challenge - could I build a spacious, expandable and beautiful house that would last through the generations AND come in at under $18,500? Could I make it pretty and affordable using only the base game so any new player could pick it up? Well, I gave it a good shot and here's what I came up with.

Name: The Appetizer
Lot size: 30x40 (In my play testing I had this on a 30x30 but I prefer the larger garden as I'm likely to build a garage/ granny flat at some point in the future.)
Bedrooms: Two
Bathrooms: One
Price: $9,275
Content: Base Game Only

The front of the house showing the minimal landscaping

Layout consists of two large bedrooms, a small bathroom and an open plan kitchen/ study/ lounge/ dining area with a hall wide enough for stairs for future expansion.

The top down view to better show the size of the property

What I love about this house is the possibilities it opens up for expansion. There's plenty of space for stairs if you want to add another floor, space for double doors and decking to the rear, space around the edges that could be utilised for a granny flat, garage, stable, park or pool. If you want a larger porch you could have it wrap around the front. There's enough space in front of the house for a driveway (or two) or you could park down the side of the property.

Price wise I think this is about right for a starter couple or a couple of house-mates. In play testing I was able to buy all the fittings, furniture and furnishings I needed for a start-up couple with my remaining $6825 and even had money leftover for a couple of classes. Admittedly, the furniture wasn't the most comfortable or the prettiest and the plumbing was a little sparse but how's a Sim going to learn handiness if everything works all the time?

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #228 on: March 21, 2014, 01:00:02 AM »
This is my first shell... I'm not very confident in my building and any criticisms or hints would be fantastic!  I named it 'Wow, it's white!' because I wanted that bright, modern feel and after staring at it for a bit, realized the white was almost ridiculous which is why the inside has black mixed in and the windows have the dark borders.

Name: Wow, that's white!
Lot Size: 30 X 30
Cost when placed on X lot: About $30,000
Requires expansion/Sims 3 store content: Most of it is base game except for a few windows from IP and ST, as well as some tile from Pets, I think.  If anyone notices that I've something, let me know.

Front of the house

Back of the house

First floor

The "basement".  Here, I used the method that TommyT describes in the guide, using foundations

As you'll notice, it's all very open and I haven't really designated any rooms at all except for the kitchen.  I find I have... issues in this regard and no matter how well I plan, I still seem to run into issues.  I do know the stairs all work and it's all accessible because I tested that out at least.

Again, any comments, critiques, criticisms are welcome and more, are appreciated.

Offline WickedSimmer87

• Occult
« Reply #229 on: March 21, 2014, 02:41:39 AM »
Hello Shewolf13. Welcome to the forum, in case you are new (I haven't seen you around so...)

Your shell looks nice :) Although I can see some visual glitch in your first picture, at the higher tier of the house, in front of the windows.

Also we would love to know more about your house like price/packs used and so on.

Here is a link to a post with guidelines :) I highly advice to read it.

http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,3614.0.html

(and please edit your post to apply the needed info)

I'm looking forward to see more creations :)

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #230 on: March 21, 2014, 03:19:26 AM »
Heh, I've been around a decent while, just haven't done much posting in the building or construction part of the Swap Shop.  Got inspired today to do building.  And yeah, sorry about forgetting the info.  Added it. 

As far as the visual glitch... it really ticked me off and I can't figure out how to get rid of it.  I noticed it while I was building and couldn't get it to go away; I love building but I'm not good at it and this was really all about experimenting with various things, in particular the technique on using a foundation as a basement that TommyT talks about in the guide.  It seemed to go well... except for that visual glitch XD  If anyone knows what that is or how to get rid of it, I would be immensely grateful!

Offline WickedSimmer87

• Occult
« Reply #231 on: March 21, 2014, 04:38:44 AM »
Ahh well, i usually just lurk the forums and use the guides ;) So I don't always notice people coming or going.

And the visual glitch can be removed with the hammer tool (K) key :) I've had it a lot of times myself, but i dont know what causes it, to be honest

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #232 on: March 21, 2014, 04:47:56 AM »
I tried that actually and it didn't work.  Very odd...

Offline Gulliver the cat!

• Townie
« Reply #233 on: March 22, 2014, 08:01:34 PM »
I tried that actually and it didn't work.  Very odd...

I know this is getting off topic, but I have had that glitch before. It's not an object so it can't be deleted. It disappears if you look at it from the other direction though. It usually just stays on that lot for me, but maybe restarting your game could help. Other than that you could save and move the building to a different lot for pictures, maybe?

Anyway, nice home! I hope to see more of your buildings here ;)

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #234 on: March 24, 2014, 02:41:16 PM »
Timeless Country
I've been messing around trying to recreate houses from blueprints and I kind of like how this one looked so thought I would share it here before I tear it down and start another one. :)

Lot size 30 x 30
Price $37,879
Expansions used: University (door), Super Natural (door), Ambitions (window). Everything else is base game, Not that there is that much sense it's a shell. :)

Layout based off of the Timeless Country plans. You can look there to see what each room is suppose to be.

Overview of the house

Second floor

First floor

A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #235 on: March 24, 2014, 03:49:57 PM »
I like it and downloaded it.  Will put it on a bigger lot so my family can have a pool in the yard.

Will check out the link to see how it was set up.

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #236 on: March 24, 2014, 04:50:09 PM »
I figured anyone that wanted it would put it on a bigger lot. I'm glad they made it where you can place it somewhere besides just the center of the lot now.
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline Teacup Chihuahua

• Occult
« Reply #237 on: March 24, 2014, 05:15:36 PM »
A lovely house,thank you for sharing Grimsoul
Downloaded

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
« Reply #238 on: March 24, 2014, 09:29:15 PM »
Thank you for this house! I can hardly wait to start decorating. ;)

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
« Reply #239 on: March 25, 2014, 07:29:50 AM »
I love the looks of this house . You did a fabulous job grimsoul !  :)
Memories have no expiration date .
ladybug53's Studio

anything