Author Topic: Convince sim to buy......question  (Read 3807 times)

isdahl

Convince sim to buy......question
« on: April 06, 2011, 11:05:03 PM »
I've read the hero's guide on merchants and used all the information, thank you, worked very well for my merchant, but i have a question about getting sims to buy my stuff. I've had no probs with convincing them to buy, but they always seem to buy everything but my high priced items, so i was wondering if it was due to my current level of 7, maybe i need to be lvl10?, or is it becuase i have those things in there to buy and should just have the high end stuff in there instead? Everytimne i ask them to buy, the success color is green so am not sure why i cant sell my whale boats or kingdom maps, and only sell herrings, onions, and bearmeat? lol, any help is greatly appreciated. TY

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: Convince sim to buy......question
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 11:48:30 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, isdahl.

I think it's random which items are purchased.  Seems to me that if you remove the low priced items, they would have to buy the high priced ones.

Also, please be careful to always capitalize "I" in your posts.  We've got pretty strict grammar rules.  You can also use the Spell Check button to help find typos.  :)
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 03:37:48 AM »
My approach to my merchant is to not worry so much about what the townies buy.  Sometimes they buy high, sometimes they buy low.  I want my merchant to be very rich and the way to do that is with a lot of sea trading.  Of course there are days when her responsibilities involve opening up the stall and selling.  What I have done, (I'm a tad OCD), is stock everything the store carries plus the things left over from my trading and do it more or less by category.  All the armor and weapons are together, next is musical instruments or other gear, meats, fish, fowl, things to make drinks with, fruits/veggies, wood, gems, minerals.  Each thing has it's own category.  Why?  Because when I've done my responsibilities I want to hit the road and it's much easier to upload and then do a take all at the end of trip. 

The hard part is loading up but if you keep it organized it also helps you see what sells and for how much so you can choose which trip will give you the biggest bang for the buck.  So far no one in sea trade buys water,sale, spices, honey or eggs so those items I can put in my larder and just load them into the stall in smaller amounts at the end of the upload.  Why put them in the stall?  Well, water really isn't worth the bother because you can only sell it for what it costs.  Of course, if you draw it yourself you eventually make a profit but it is so small it really isn't worth it.  Bottom line is I will only buy and keep tiny amounts of those things, and ONLY if they are a hot item or I can use them myself.  But I buy out certain items because the profit margin is huge.  Let's take the simple wildflower.  In spare moments you can pick a few or buy them fairly cheap at the store.  But they sell to Tredony for 78 simoles each!  I'm having the most fun with my merchant.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

isdahl

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 12:37:28 PM »
Well it appears that my patience is the only thing I need to level up then, lol. I agree that sea trade is the best way to go so thats another thing I will improve on as well. Thankyou guys for the info/advice and the quick response to my post, it is greatly appreciated. TY ;D

Offline Katluvr

• Crazy Cat Lady - Origin ID: Katluvr23
  • Watcher
  • The shortest distance between two people is a hug.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 04:37:58 PM »
I just played my merchant for the first time last night and did not have the time to get into sea trading - I can't wait to try that.

What I did instead was buy up as many expensive items at the Village Shoppe as possible (lutes, armor, weapons, whaling boat - nothing under $100) and stock my stall with only those things.  I had the luxury of doing this because my merchant was married to my smith and they had $7k saved up when I made her the active hero, so I could really go on a buying spree.  Having the haggler trait is a big plus for this.

Once the stall was stocked it was just a numbers game - keep approaching sims and asking them to buy.  Everyone my merchant spoke to bought something - and by keeping my inventory low (no more than 10-15 items at a time) and filled with expensive items, they were guaranteed to sell eventually.

The benefit to using the stall to earn income instead of sea trading is that you get xp for each sale you make - not sure if it's 150 or 200, but it's a good amount.  I was able to go from lvl 1 to lvl 10 in 2 quests because of it.  So if your merchant is below lvl 10 there is definitely an incentive to sell via the market stall.  Sea trading may be a better route if you don't have much money to invest in inventory (e.g., just starting out) or after you've hit lvl 10.

Frozenoj

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 03:33:22 AM »
In my experience it seems to be random. If you have more lower price items, they'll buy more lower price items. But if you have a majority of expensive items they'll buy more of those. I usually only have expensive items unless I need to have a cheaper item for a quest.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 10:45:32 PM »
My Blacksmith made an item that would have sold for $300 by dragging it to the sell box from inventory.  Instead I put the item in the stall and opened for business.  The second Sim my Blacksmith spoke to purchased the item for $401.  That was the only item for sale, so the customer didn't have any other choice but to buy it.  So, a good strategy would be to stock only one item at a time and make sure it's an expensive one.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Deckayder

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 03:34:43 PM »
The benefit to using the stall to earn income instead of sea trading is that you get xp for each sale you make - not sure if it's 150 or 200, but it's a good amount.  I was able to go from lvl 1 to lvl 10 in 2 quests because of it.  So if your merchant is below lvl 10 there is definitely an incentive to sell via the market stall.  Sea trading may be a better route if you don't have much money to invest in inventory (e.g., just starting out) or after you've hit lvl 10.

The other advantage of using the stall is you don't waste precious time in you hero's day walking all the way to the docks, waiting an hour or so for the trade to happen, and then walking all the way back to your shop. I wish the merchant lived where the physician is! That would make way more sense considering how much they use the docks.

Chuckles_82

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 05:56:24 AM »
I made the Angel's Guard armor for my knight, and intend on making a set for my Queen and my Spy also. To sell it from the inventory, it would have netted about S16,500! I can't remember the exact price, but in the long run I'm not sure if it's worth the time it takes to collect the required 4 mystic metal fragments. Either way, if you've got an excess of time, and you can do if you are playing a character with whom you have already maxed and completed all relevant achievements, it could be quite profitable.

anything