Author Topic: New Patch! 1.3 notes  (Read 14121 times)

Frozenoj

New Patch! 1.3 notes
« on: April 22, 2011, 01:15:58 AM »
Taken from TSM's facebook page:

Here is a list of what will be included in the new update!
New Feature: Free Play Ambition - Set up your perfect kingdom without worrying about long term goals.  In this special ambition, you can play quests when you wish, or control up to four heroes at once in a more open free play mode.
New Feature: Child Succession - If a Hero Sim dies, but already has children, you can choose to have one of the children grow up and take over their parent's job!
Camera improvements - Have you ever wanted to get a better view of the action?  The camera now allows tighter zooming and full 360 rotation in buildings.
End Game Improvements - Similar to the Free Play Ambition, can now play quests, earn XP, and build buildings even after your ambition is completed!
Hero Leveling Improvements - Can now gain XP beyond level 10 for all heroes, giving additional benefits.
Brave New World Quest Improvements – When you complete the quest "Brave New World" and start a new ambition with that character, he or she will now retain several abilities from their previous profession!
Kingdom Aspect Improvements - Can now gain additional benefits when increasing aspects beyond their maximum capacity
Ambition Improvements – Certain ambitions now allow one or two additional buildings to be placed at the start.
Increased the maximum number of residents in a household from four to five.  Go ahead and have another child!
Implemented game stability improvements that affected some players.
Adjusted several quests for clarity.
Fixed several bugs related to staying on a quest for a long period of time.
Improved detection of monitor resolution for some hardware configurations.
Fixed a variety of issues in Create-A-Sim.
Fixed several text and art inconsistencies.

Which update are you most excited about?

Offline chrissie

• Townie
Re: New Patch! 1.3 notes
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 03:23:09 AM »
Definitely the free play, there are a number of times I've wished that I could play a sort of sandbox mode and just enjoy doing what I want to do! But the whole list has fixed some annoying issues so its all good!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline JaNat

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 04:21:55 AM »
Wow! It sounds good!

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 05:01:43 AM »
Heir Succession! Is that 360 view in Buildings? No more Doll House?
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Slingsby

• Occult
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 05:19:04 AM »
According to that FB page, it's released on Thursday [28 April] ... which is annoying, as I'm off on holiday the day before and won't be playing for a few weeks.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 05:20:44 AM »
Oh that's good for me, Bank Holiday for the Royal Wedding on the Friday.  :D
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Slingsby

• Occult
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 05:37:56 AM »
Oh that's good for me, Bank Holiday for the Royal Wedding on the Friday.  :D

By the time I get back, you will have sorted out all the bugs, and Carl will have completely re-written the Guide  ;D

This certainly looks like a fairly major re-build, or at least the addition of a lot of new sub-routines.  I wish I had that yesterday; it would have been very nice.  I hope it all works!

[Incidentally, I'm running v. 1.1.10 ... whatever happened to v. 2?  Or is that a Mac thing?]

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 08:45:28 AM »
Which update are you most excited about?

Pretty much all of them. I confess I'm shaking my head though and wondering why the heck EA did not implement some of these upon release. They just seem so obvious. But, hey...better late than never.

Well, Carl, time to pound the keyboard again, eh? This will alter some Guide articles.  :D

chadgar24

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 11:21:48 AM »
wow....too many great updates to pick.  I like the 'free play options' as well as the leveling up.  I think this will extend the life of the game for those of you who are getting bored.  great news!

Offline Slingsby

• Occult
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 12:17:28 PM »
... wondering why the heck EA did not implement some of these upon release.

The usual reasons, I'd guess ... there's a release deadline, and if it isn't ready by then "we'll do a patch".  Every 6 months something new has to be sold, whether it's fully ready and de-bugged or not.

If EA made automobiles, they would all be off the road on a product recall  ;D

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 01:20:51 PM »
It figures.  They fix the camera angle thing just after I figured out using Ctrl. + A or Ctrl. + D will turn your camera all the way around left or right inside or out.   Still, I'm glad they fixed that one.  It was the most annoying part for me.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Musenapper

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 01:34:53 PM »
Aw not until Thursday darn I'm on a 3 day weekend now.  This seems like about 90% of what simmers have wanted since the outset just what has been needed to fill out the game and suck more people in!

Offline Slingsby

• Occult
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 01:37:31 PM »
Aw not until Thursday darn I'm on a 3 day weekend now.  This seems like about 90% of what simmers have wanted since the outset just what has been needed to fill out the game and suck more people in!
Your story touches me deeply!!   ;D
I fly abroad on Wednesday for 3 weeks ... still, it gives me something to look forward to when I get home.

Frozenoj

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 02:04:32 PM »
I am definitely most excited about the camera improvements! I have no idea why they didn't allow for 360 rotation from the beginning... it's in the other sims games so they should already have the basic code work for it I would think.

I'm glad this is coming out next week rather than this week, as then i might actually get a chance to play. I've got a paper to do this weekend, plus Easter, a final on Tuesday, and another paper on Thursday, plus pre-graduation/start of summer term rush at work all week. This patch next week gives me something to look forward to!

Offline Katluvr

• Crazy Cat Lady - Origin ID: Katluvr23
  • Watcher
  • The shortest distance between two people is a hug.
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 03:41:41 PM »
Pretty much all of them. I confess I'm shaking my head though and wondering why the heck EA did not implement some of these upon release. They just seem so obvious. But, hey...better late than never.

Based on my own real life experience, sometimes the closer you are to something the harder it is to see the obvious deficiencies in it.  Perhaps the game designers either didn't notice these things pre-launch or maybe they just didn't take into account how the vast majority of their audience would react to them.

Their business model seems to be to crank out products every few months that are anywhere from 75% (for EPs and base games) to 95% (for SPs) 'complete' and then play catch up with patches after the fact.  I suppose it's as valid as any other business model in the video game industry, but it definitely sets up a love-hate relationship between them and their customers.

In any event, I'm really excited about the next patch - it sounds like they are listening to the feedback and acting on it, which is alway promising.