Author Topic: Launcher can't see save file saved on XP and restored to Windows 7  (Read 1825 times)

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
My laptop runs XP and my son's runs Windows 7.  He started a game on my machine and then wanted to move it to his.  I went to the electronic arts/saves file on my XP machine and copied his file to a flash drive, and then copied it from the flash drive to his electronic arts/saves file.  But his launcher doesn't see it.  When I look in his saves file, the saves done on his system seem to be a different file type - not a folder like I have on my XP machine.  I'm not at all familiar with Windows 7, so maybe they are the same and just have different icons, but the launcher on his machine can't see the files from my machine so something must be different.  Does the save file from the XP machine need to be converted somehow for the Windows 7 machine?

I appreciate any help.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Launcher can't see save file saved on XP and restored to Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 01:33:27 AM »
My understanding is that it will need to be converted to a Windows 7 compatible folder somehow.

But also, I was under the impression that it didn't matter. For instance, I play Sims 3 on a laptop that runs a newer version of Windows than the Desktop computer I use to view the forum. When I created a file and moved it to the desktop computer to be printed, all that happened was that the file had to be viewed in compatibility mode - there was no issue with anything not being recognised.

My understanding is also that folder types do not matter - I thought that a Windows Folder was a Windows Folder.
I don't quite get how a folder wouldn't be reecognized by the launcher, unless the folder is in the wrong place or not there at all.

EDIT: The saves system was changed from files to folders with an EP. Does your son have the same EP's as you? If not, that could be the cause.
EDIT 2: Elaborating on that, did your son use any Content (E.G Store/EP/SP/CC) that he doesn't have, but you do, to create his save? Are you both on the same patch level?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
Re: Launcher can't see save file saved on XP and restored to Windows 7
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 03:02:10 AM »
Seabody - Thank you for your response - you've given me direction for finding the answer.  He does not have the expansion packs I have, so that may be the cause.  I didn't think of that. 

What he's really after is the house he and his girlfriend built.  They're 15 and they were just so cute creating their sims to look like them and then building their house together.  They really don't have any game play yet.  Just the sims, which they saved to my bin, and the house.  So I'll work on figuring out how to transfer the sims and the house and then they can play on his machine. 

Thanks for your help.