Author Topic: Changing Town's Terrain Color without CAW  (Read 15008 times)

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
Changing Town's Terrain Color without CAW
« on: May 08, 2011, 05:18:44 AM »
Is it possible at all? For some reason my PC refuses to open CAW, and I really don't have the time to take care of it. I am going to do the Apocalypse challenge quite soon and it's a requirement (of course, I could use Twinbrook, but I want a desert-terrain in Sunset Valley). Otherwise, it would be great to create a feeling of snow, by changing the color to white. My question is - is it possible to change a town's terrain color without having CAW? Thanks.
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
Re: Changing Town's Terrain Color without CAW
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 12:12:36 PM »
Possibly, but I would imagine that it would probably involve messing around with the code in a save file...which I don't know how to do and is probably risky at the very least.

Some things that are worth noting about the Apocalypse challenge is that the only complete rule set that I've ever seen was made for Sims 2.  While I absolutely love the concept of it, I have many issues with it.  The main one is that it has some of the most ridiculously inane requirements I've ever seen...this being one of them.  The fact that you're living in a "desert" has absolutely no bearing on anything in the game.

I've seen a couple attempts at rewriting this challenge for Sims 3 (none of which were done by Pinstar, the original creator of this challenge), but I didn't really find any of them worth trying.  I've tried to rewrite this one, myself, but I find it difficult to come up with a set of rules that isn't the size of the Encyclopedia Britiannica while sticking with the spirit of the original challenge.  I have since given up on it.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 12:24:23 PM »
Thank you for the info, Hosfac. Okay, I have seven stories going on right now, so I'll pass on that one.
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 12:57:54 PM »
The ONLY thing I could think of is to go into Edit Town, go to every single lot, and use terrain paints there. But it wouldn't give you snow, I don't believe, and non-lots would remain the same, so it's a partial solution.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 02:15:38 PM »
The ONLY thing I could think of is to go into Edit Town, go to every single lot, and use terrain paints there. But it wouldn't give you snow, I don't believe, and non-lots would remain the same, so it's a partial solution.

Yep, that's exactly why I'm asking. ;) The partial solution method seems a bit, well... not satisfying?

Offline Lilygirl

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Let's spread kindness, grace, and joy.
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 04:10:45 PM »
I'm wondering if you could place the biggest lot you can all over the town through World Editor, and then colour the terrain through Build/Buy on that lot. My question would be, could you then delete the lots and have the new terrain colour stay? Of course there would be places where even the smallest lot doesn't fit and, without deleting already placed lots, the original terrain colour would remain. It would take a long time though and the result might not be worth it in the end.
You've played too much TS3 when ... your 13 month old's babble sounds like Simlish!

Please read the Forum Rules

☀ Sunburst Immortal Dynasty ☀
The McIrish Bunch RTJ
My Swap Shop Creations

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 05:45:42 PM »
I'm wondering if you could place the biggest lot you can all over the town through World Editor, and then colour the terrain through Build/Buy on that lot. My question would be, could you then delete the lots and have the new terrain colour stay? Of course there would be places where even the smallest lot doesn't fit and, without deleting already placed lots, the original terrain colour would remain. It would take a long time though and the result might not be worth it in the end.

The problem is, I can't place new lots as I can't access World Editor - I don't have CAW.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Lilygirl

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Let's spread kindness, grace, and joy.
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 05:59:37 PM »
World Editor isn't CAW, Chronic. When you're in Edit Town, there's a button on the interface bottom left, next to the Bulldozer tool that's called World Editor when you mouse over it. It came with Ambitions/patch I believe. This allows you to place new lots of different sizes into the town. Let me see if I can convince my husband he can read his forums on the laptop so I can access my game on the PC and see if my idea is even feasible or not.
You've played too much TS3 when ... your 13 month old's babble sounds like Simlish!

Please read the Forum Rules

☀ Sunburst Immortal Dynasty ☀
The McIrish Bunch RTJ
My Swap Shop Creations

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 06:01:49 PM »
World Editor isn't CAW, Chronic. When you're in Edit Town, there's a button on the interface bottom left, next to the Bulldozer tool that's called World Editor when you mouse over it. It came with Ambitions/patch I believe. This allows you to place new lots of different sizes into the town. Let me see if I can convince my husband he can read his forums on the laptop so I can access my game on the PC and see if my idea is even feasible or not.

R... R... REALLY?! I was so so wanting it and you say it was right under my nose?! My God, it will be so helpful to place a couple of new lots. :D

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 02:32:24 AM »
EA worlds have many unroutable terrains in towns so you won't be able to place lots everywhere. Also, placing lots delete trees and other objects if you manage to place it over them. And I'm 99% certain that painting lots and then deleting them will not change terrain paint. I know in CAW it won't so I doubt it will in World Editor. I know Joria tried everything in game to change terrain in Bridgeport, but it is just not possible.
Terrain pattern is packed in Sim.pack.file and you need an aplication and CAW to edit them - which is bordering if not already modding game.

You can paint your own lot and pretend the rest of it is radioactive (in one of the rule sets I read something like this) or wait till someone create and upload world designed to fit this challenge. Since you put this story on hold, there is no rush:) and you can always take most of the screenshots in Egypt without landmarks in focus ;)

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 04:20:59 AM »
EA worlds have many unroutable terrains in towns so you won't be able to place lots everywhere. Also, placing lots delete trees and other objects if you manage to place it over them. And I'm 99% certain that painting lots and then deleting them will not change terrain paint. I know in CAW it won't so I doubt it will in World Editor. I know Joria tried everything in game to change terrain in Bridgeport, but it is just not possible.
Terrain pattern is packed in Sim.pack.file and you need an aplication and CAW to edit them - which is bordering if not already modding game.

You can paint your own lot and pretend the rest of it is radioactive (in one of the rule sets I read something like this) or wait till someone create and upload world designed to fit this challenge. Since you put this story on hold, there is no rush:) and you can always take most of the screenshots in Egypt without landmarks in focus ;)

Oh well, thanks Anushka. :) And the ruleset is (as Hosfac said) the size of the Encyclopedia Britannica, so bye-bye Apocalypse! ;)

anything