Author Topic: Rules: Orphanage Project Rules  (Read 30756 times)

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Rules: Orphanage Project Rules
« on: May 28, 2011, 09:22:55 AM »
The Orphanage Project Rules

These rules are based on my story Riches Galore, the original orphanage project.

Objective:
  The objective of this game is to have your Sim/s adopt as many orphans as possible over the span of your game and to make regular donations to charity.  It is also expected that you will make the orphans happy and give them a skill to earn their living.  Your main Sims are expected to complete an LTW, reach level 10 in a career, and do everything themselves - no butlers, maids, babysitters, or repair persons.

Main Characters:  The game begins with one or two Sims who are taking part in an orphanage project. The specific reason for your Sims to undertake this project depends on your story.  Your initial Sims may be Young Adults, Adults, or Elders.  You can play on whatever lifespan you wish.  The main characters have to have the Good trait in order to be able to donate to charity.  The remaining traits are up to you.

Length of Game:  You can determine your own game length, but I would recommend deciding at the outset how long your Sims will have to complete their task.  The Riches Galore orphanage project ran for 10 weeks, which seemed about right to me.

Household Size:  In my game, I kept the household at 6 Sims.  That was to allow the orphans to get married and try for baby before moving out.

Aging up the Orphans: 
Babies - were aged up after 3 days
Toddlers - were aged up after learning the 3 toddler tasks (potty, walk, talk) and after having all the toddler skill books read to them
Children - were aged up after one day on the Honour Roll
Teenagers - were aged up after 3 days on the Honour Roll and reaching level 10 in any skill
Young Adults - got married, tried for baby, got a job, and moved out.

Money Matters:  The objective of this game is for your Sim/s to start with the bare essentials and earn everything themselves.  Dealing with poverty is part of the challenge of this game.   Your Sims are not meant to get rich.  At first, all the money will be needed for household essentials.  Once they begin to have a little discretionary income, it is expected they will donate to charity.  The charitable donations should be as much as possible and as often as possible.

Making the Orphans Happy:  This was defined as every orphan having at least 25,000 Happiness Points when they left home.  Those points were used to purchase Steel Bladder and Dirt Defiant, but other LTRs could be chosen if you prefer.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Orphanage Project Rules
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 09:36:32 AM »
Schip, there does not need to be a stand-alone thread for the Orphanage Project rules. As I explained to you via PM, Pam's link in her Stickied post takes a player directly to your rules in your story thread. Now if you prefer the look with the green large title, etc, fine, just edit that post that Pam links to, and then delete this thread when you're done.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Lilygirl

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Let's spread kindness, grace, and joy.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 02:08:58 PM »
I kind of prefer a separate thread as a player, Metro. This way I can ask specific questions about the rules here without taking over Schip's story thread. That's just my one personal opinion, Schip can do as she wants, of course.
You've played too much TS3 when ... your 13 month old's babble sounds like Simlish!

Please read the Forum Rules

☀ Sunburst Immortal Dynasty ☀
The McIrish Bunch RTJ
My Swap Shop Creations

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 02:49:44 PM »
Yeah, Schip and I have been discussing this via PM and I'm fine with it as a separate thread now. No biggie.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 07:01:20 PM »
I'm linking this thread to the main Projects thread now.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline GlassMirrors

• Llama Wrangler
  • What? Never seen a dancing waffle before?
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 01:00:05 AM »
I'm going to take a shot at this project. It seems really interesting. :)
My Links!

• ➸ The Marshall Legacy

Offline Execution

• Occult
  • Rawr.
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 02:30:49 AM »
Questions:

Can the LTW for the parents be a career-oriented LTW?

Can we buy LTR for the Orphans as long as we keep track of what we buy (some things, like mid-life crisis, don't show up in the Lifetime rewards panel) before moving them out?

If the Orphans don't meet the requirements listed, what happens?

Can we adjust the age requirements based on life stage length (e.g, if our toddlers stay toddlers for 14 days instead of 7, wait 6 days instead of 3) ?

Can the orphans have orphans of their own?

Can one of the orphans be a bad apple (A bad apple is a Sim that you may never control. Ever. The most you can do is check their needs once in a while so they don't die and promise them wishes (all wishes must be promised))?

I like the idea. I tried something like this before, but it didn't work out well. I hope this one does.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 11:26:50 AM »
Thanks for the interest in the Orphanage Project, Execution.  That's quite a list of questions!  To be honest, some of them never occurred to me before, so I hope I can do them justice.  Here goes:

1.  Any LTW is fine.

2.  Yes, you can certainly get LTR for the orphans.  I went with Steel Bladder and Dirt Defiant for mine; my reasoning was that I wanted them to have LTRs that would benefit them once they left home and were no longer under my control.  But you could go with different LTRs if you want.  The key is that they need to have at least 25,000 happiness points.

3.  The consequences for not meeting the requirements would depend on which requirement it is.  If the requirements for aging up aren't met, then you can't age the children up and have to wait for the game to age them up.  I gave myself a bit of leeway with the requirement that they have level 10 in a skill.  The two painters didn't actually finish level 10 until after they aged up to YA, but they did finish the next day.  If your orphans reach YA and are lacking one or more key requirements, if it's something they can still complete, I think you should give them a little more time before moving them out.  If for some reason they can't complete the requirements, then your orphanage has failed to meet the conditions of its existence and whatever consequences are called for in your scenario would apply.  (For example, in my Riches Galore story, if Pippa and Sebastian had failed with one of their orphans, they would have forfeited their parents' estate.)

4.  I'm not sure I understand the purpose of changing the aging requirements or having the orphans adopt orphans.  If your original Sim/s are the ones in charge of the orphanage, and if the goal is for them to help as many orphans as possible, it seems to me that lengthening the time that the orphans would spend in each life stage would just reduce the number of orphans that can be helped.  Same with keeping YA orphans in the house to adopt.  If there's something I'm missing here, let me know.

5.  I've never heard of a Bad Apple Sim before!  It does sound like fun, and would certainly be a challenge.  If you think you can meet the requirements with a Bad Apple, go for it. 

I hope I've answered your questions.  Let me know if there's anything you're still wondering about.  And good luck with your orphanage project!

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Offline Execution

• Occult
  • Rawr.
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 12:06:08 PM »
My (normal lifespan) legacy is at 9 weeks and some of Generation 3's kids are already in high school. Let's see.

90 days is the average lifespan for a Sim. 90/7=12.somelongnumbersI'mtoolazytofigureout. So about 13. This is from baby to elder, of course. But we won't be playing a baby to elder. We'll be playing a baby to young adult at most.

On normal, it takes a newborn 31 days to age up to Young Adult. Rounded to the closest number, four weeks. Again, on normal mode, it takes a Young Adult 42 days to age up to elder. 6 weeks.  If we were to play at 5 weeks instead of 10, we would divide the number of days to age-up by 2. As such, our  babies would have 2 days to age-up, our toddlers 4, our children 4, our teens 7, our Young Adults 11, our adults 11, and our elders 9.

I'll now compare our Sims to Ants. To an ant, who's lifespan is also 90 days (yay SimAnt). To them, waiting 3 days to do something is precious time (1/270th of their life). If our ant gets stepped on at 45 days, 3 days is 1/135th of their life. Shouldn't the two statistics be the same?

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 01:13:42 PM »
Are you going to make any changes to the ruleset due to Generations?
2024 Tournament: Join the Fun!
My Tournament Updates: Coming 2024
Love My Sims: Completing challenges and legacies since May 7, 2007

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 07:10:03 PM »
Are you going to make any changes to the ruleset due to Generations?

I hadn't planned to.  Is there something about Generations that you think would necessitate a change to the rules?

Execution, I've read your post about the ages but I'm afraid I still don't see any reason to have different aging-up rules for different lifespans.  The goal of the game is to give the orphans a good start in life by getting them on the honour roll so you can choose their traits, earning them at least 25,000 happiness points, getting them to level 10 in one skill, and finding them a job; then they move out to make room for the next orphan.  I just don't see any reason to adjust the rules for different lifespans.  The required tasks take the same length of time, regardless of what lifespan your game is set on.  Personally, my Riches Galore game was played with epic lifespan (because I didn't want the two main characters to get old) but the goal was still to complete the children's tasks as quickly as possible and move them out. 

The bottom line is, the aging-up rules are based on completion of key tasks.  They aren't based on lifespan settings.

Offline Execution

• Occult
  • Rawr.
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
Kids don't need to be on the honor roll for you to pick a trait. They just need an A.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 07:23:08 PM »
I hadn't planned to.  Is there something about Generations that you think would necessitate a change to the rules?
Nothing I have seen, but I haven't played through all the new stuff yet.
2024 Tournament: Join the Fun!
My Tournament Updates: Coming 2024
Love My Sims: Completing challenges and legacies since May 7, 2007

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 07:26:23 PM »
Kids don't need to be on the honor roll for you to pick a trait. They just need an A.

My error.  Thanks for clearing that up.  I don't think it makes a difference to the ruleset, though.

Offline Execution

• Occult
  • Rawr.
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 01:52:19 PM »
Can Mumma and Dadda be self-employed and reach level 10 in that? I'm just wondering how to balance the work hours so the kids won't be taken away by social workers.